Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Re: Hammond Comments: Boston Model? 

Post#101 » by CanadaBucks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:24 pm

DocHoliday wrote:
CanadaBucks wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:You mean like giving the Bobcats the 7th pick in the draft AND Maggette for Jax and the 19th pick?

Was this not a three way trade? Because if it wasn't you would have to give him huge credit for turning Salmons and 10 into beno and 7 right? I think ina ll truth we never had 7, we essentially traded Salmons, maggette and 10 for Jax, Beno and 19. I'll agree that if he doesn't sign Maggette and Salmons this trade is not made but let's not leave out half of the picture

It didn't need to be a 3 way trade, and yes the trade of Salmons+10 for Beno+7 was an AMAZING trade, which makes the trade with the Bobcats look like even more of a colossal failure. The potential of Tobias is really the only thing that keeps it from being a complete bust. Also we didn't sign Maggette, that was another Hammond trade bust.

My bad, I do remember the deal...Gadz and Bell for Maggette.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#102 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 pm

JayMKE wrote:What evidence of Hammond's 'basketball smarts' are there other than his decent drafting?

That interview snippet sounds like Hammond trying to say that I've sucked for five years because my owner wants me to win now and win later. He's auditioning for his next job, realizing that others in the league will read that interview but probably not Kohl.

The problem I have is that he really did a bad job of trying to "win now" for years. He completely misunderstood the salary cap ramifications of trades early on and boxed us in big time. Nor was he creative in initiating trades as most everything "presented itself" to him. He wasted mid level assets like crazy and each year brought in a crappy overpaid wing. And he never acquired a good backup center save for inadvertently lucking into Kurt Thomas for one year as a salary throw in when he needed to jettison his guy RJ.

So now that the win around Redd and Bogut plan that he was a core architect of went down in flames he's looking to claim it went down because he wasn't allowed to tank, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless you want to load a straw man in there for your future job.

His potential saving grace is that maybe he's on to something here with the current team. I've been pretty happy with his moves since the Bogut trade.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#103 » by CanadaBucks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:32 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:What evidence of Hammond's 'basketball smarts' are there other than his decent drafting?

That interview snippet sounds like Hammond trying to say that I've sucked for five years because my owner wants me to win now and win later. He's auditioning for his next job, realizing that others in the league will read that interview but probably not Kohl.

The problem I have is that he really did a bad job of trying to "win now" for years. He completely misunderstood the salary cap ramifications of trades early on and boxed us in big time. Nor was he creative in initiating trades as most everything "presented itself" to him. He wasted mid level assets like crazy and each year brought in a crappy overpaid wing. And he never acquired a good backup center save for inadvertently lucking into Kurt Thomas for one year as a salary throw in when he needed to jettison his guy RJ.

So now that the win around Redd and Bogut plan that he was a core architect of went down in flames he's looking to claim it went down because he wasn't allowed to tank, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless you want to load a straw man in there for your future job.

His potential saving grace is that maybe he's on to something here with the current team. I've been pretty happy with his moves since the Bogut trade.

When my other team's GM is Bryan Colangelo, Hammond looks a lot better than he really is.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#104 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:37 pm

CanadaBucks wrote:OKC got soaked in that deal though. Allen and Big Baby for West, Sczerbiak and Jeff Green plus a 2nd whose name I can't remember. That's almost a worse fleecing than the Bucks got when trading Allen.

No they didn't. Every deal they made....worked. Wally was flipped and they traded Green to and got something later on. The second pick could have been Eric Maynor too.

They didn't get fleeced.

If Hammond wanted to do it right he would not have made all those trades 3 years and get all those second round picks and then sell them and lose them. Those were assets he blew.

He did flip Alexander, Hobson, Gallon, and sold Jordan and wasted Meeks....there is your assets right there. You can't have it both ways.

Some teams can rebuild in a weak conference like the Pacers and Sixers and STILL WIN if you scout well and know what you are doing and use yoru players right and have vision in seeing the league is going small.

No way in the world in the weak ass East you should not have built a solid winner by now with all the picks we had. Hammond always thinks that you will automatically LOSE just because you are going young and then he pancis and tries to outsmart himself and us by bringing in bad contracts and scrub vets who take time from his young players getting better.

Once you got Jennings and were handing him the keys from day 1 EVERYTHING SHOULD HAVE CHANGED when you knew Redd was coming off the books and Bogut couldn't stay healthy. But the Bucks waited too long when teams like OKC Memphis, Philly, and the Pacers were pro-active.

Never waste time with plodding Centers who do not expand their games. NEVER draft a Center #1 overall just because he is a 7 footer...Never. They abandoned their plan and brought in stop gaps Maggette, Salmons, and Stackhouse, and Gooden, and others too early!

It doesn't take "luck" it takes VISION and a Plan, and Purposeful Perserverance. Do one or the other. Do not do what he says here: "

"The projection for our team going into the season is, if they don't have us as a playoff team, they have us right at the cusp of being in the playoffs. So we're still trying to serve two masters, to be honest with you.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#105 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 pm

No n
CanadaBucks wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

When my other team's GM is Bryan Colangelo, Hammond looks a lot better than he really is.

No no no no no....you dont know what you are saying. THE ONLY REASON....the Raptors are not better is because they couldn't or did not trade Chris Bosh when they could have got something for him.

That is the ONLY reason. But he was a big wuss and would not committ because he knew he was going to bolt at the end of the year to stack in Miami or New York.

They should have traded him them...but didin't. That was their mistake. He Bosh was better then Bogut so they could have got more for him and been set up pretty nice.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#106 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:24 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:jackson was trash but whats weird is he really wasnt just the year before. he was monta level just older.

He was a lot worse here but he was a ridiculously high usage player with bad shooting percetanges in Charlotte. There's a reason why guys like Maggette, Jackson, Monta etc can't replicate previous numbers with us, they can't play team basketball.

i dont think it has anything to do with not playing team basketball.....

i will give you the older player being expected to regress argument tho. i also just think its indicative of a typical 30 something acting the part of the old dog coming to milwaukee to die as well. its just weird how salmons, maggette, and jackson all fell off a damn CLIFF once they got here. salmons case makes it difficult to assume the system was at fault.... it makes you look more at the perspective of the player changing being the cause.

so its either skiles, the lockerroom or the city..... we had 3 guys who produced including one guy who produced here.... who basically overnight became some of the worst players at their position in the league over the course of a single offseason. its been uncanny.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#107 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:56 am

Boston model? Where is our tradition and 4 Hall of Famers to draw others? Sometimes Hammond seems like he is in waaaaay over his head on some ways.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#108 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:45 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:jackson was trash but whats weird is he really wasnt just the year before. he was monta level just older.

He was a lot worse here but he was a ridiculously high usage player with bad shooting percetanges in Charlotte. There's a reason why guys like Maggette, Jackson, Monta etc can't replicate previous numbers with us, they can't play team basketball.

i dont think it has anything to do with not playing team basketball.....

i will give you the older player being expected to regress argument tho. i also just think its indicative of a typical 30 something acting the part of the old dog coming to milwaukee to die as well. its just weird how salmons, maggette, and jackson all fell off a damn CLIFF once they got here. salmons case makes it difficult to assume the system was at fault.... it makes you look more at the perspective of the player changing being the cause.

so its either skiles, the lockerroom or the city..... we had 3 guys who produced including one guy who produced here.... who basically overnight became some of the worst players at their position in the league over the course of a single offseason. its been uncanny.

Those guys were always 1 on 1 players who played in playground systems before they got here and when they couldn't get the same amount of opportunities to raise their FG% and PPG they reverted to what they are, worthless on the court.

Salmons flourished in a broken Sacramento system and then played for a contract here, Maggette flourished in Golden State's broken system but even their fans knew it was all empty stats, Jackson is the same in GS and Charlotte.

Monta is a much better player then those three guys so he still looks solid but he's nowhere near the same player without the broken system.

I think everyone without blinders on could have seen all the outcomes that happened with the players discussed besides Salmons' superstar contract performance.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,832

Post#109 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:14 am

Sounds like the assh*le finally started reading realGM.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#110 » by raferfenix » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:57 am

Is it possible that Hammond is being a bit more literal here, in terms of preparing our fans for a 'Boston model' style trade?

Not that any of these comparisons should be made, but let's try to get inside Herb Kohl's head for a second.

If our goal is to pick up 3 all star caliber players, could the Kohl brain-trust view picking up Ellis alongside Jennings to be akin to the Celtics pairing Allen with Pierce, and then us picking up a guy like Pau Gasol as being like the Garnett trade?

This scenario would require us to not be sending out Ellis in a Gasol deal, but that isn't necessarily inconceivable, particularly if the Lakers really value Ersan as a long term shooter to put next to Howard.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks