ImageImageImageImage

Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Re: Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch 

Post#261 » by Def Swami » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:58 am

G-Heel wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:
thelead wrote:BTW, it just hit me that the reason why I don't like Shabazz is because he reminds me of OJ Mayo. That's not horrible, it's just not what I would want from a top 3 pick. I think his stock will drop if he doesn't play.

McAdoo will go before Shabazz in the draft. Book it.

Whoever drafts McAdoo before Shabazz will regrets it. McAdoo is a big that shoots 43%, that's absolutely horrible. Shabazz will be 10x the player.

Not saying Shabazz is a worse player, but I think that if he's out this season, it'll hurt his stock because I expect McAdoo put up pretty gaudy numbers when it's all said and done this season.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#262 » by magicman123 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:18 am

G-Heel wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:
thelead wrote:BTW, it just hit me that the reason why I don't like Shabazz is because he reminds me of OJ Mayo. That's not horrible, it's just not what I would want from a top 3 pick. I think his stock will drop if he doesn't play.

McAdoo will go before Shabazz in the draft. Book it.

Whoever drafts McAdoo before Shabazz will regrets it. McAdoo is a big that shoots 43%, that's absolutely horrible. Shabazz will be 10x the player.

he shot 43% on 5fga while only playing 15min/game as a freshman..lets see how he does getting big minutes
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#263 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:57 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:Draft express has their prospect rankings up, but excludes incoming freshman.
one player that could make a jump this year is Florida C/PF Patric Young
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top ... -5---4040/

If he makes a jump this year he'd be a great fit here. he's an elite athlete, has an NBA body already

As a Florida fan, I'd stay away from Pat in the lottery. He's going to be a work in progress on offense. Can't shoot, struggles at the line, but can finish around the basket. Hasn't grown a whole lot in 3 years offensively. But he can be a defensive monster.

if we could acquire a later first, like mid teens i'd take a chance.

McAdoo has sick talent, i can see him being a top 3 pick
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#264 » by RYgoBOOM » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:48 pm

If we plan on keeping vucci I'd take Noel in a heartbeat. The kid is a freak athlete and if he added a few lbs would be a force for sure. DeAndre jordan type player IMO.

Him and Vucci would set our bigs up nice for years to come
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#265 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 pm

I wouldn't take a DAJ type player with a top 3 pick, Noel could be another Thabeet, high bust potential with him.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#266 » by Cigamodnalro » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:22 pm

I just don't think you let Vucevic enter into the equation when evaluating top-tier bigs in the draft. I like Vucevic, and think he has definite 12 and 8 potential. That said, a team full of Vucevics won't win you anything. You need to surround players like Vucevic with legitimate stars if you want to compete. If you think there is a big in the draft with that potential, you take it and run. I'd rather have Vucevic backing up a 20 year old next season than have a decade of starting Vucevic next to a second role player bigman. This is a league of stars, and if you want to win--and especially win a championship--one franchise player is worth 100 Vucevics.

Edit: To reiterate, I'm not knocking the guy at all. I love Flying V and what he brings to our team. I just think that rebuilding, and more specifically rebuilding to win a championship--takes one or two (or three) very special "first option" players. Vucc has been fantastic, but I don't think he has the potential to be one of those guys.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#267 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 pm

12 and 8 potential? Vuc is doing that right now.....
aol4532 on bill russell
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#268 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Me personally i think Vucevic has Gasol brothers potential. I'll take that all day long and what's he's doing now as a second year 22 year old player to me speaks to his skills and potential. I see no Bigs in this draft class that's as good as Vuc is now i mean Vuc honestly could of stayed another year at USC and came out in this draft and be a lottery pick. I also think a prospect like Noel has high bust potential too i look at Thabeet who was dominating college and everyone was telling me he was the real deal holyfield.

He was the SECOND PICK! A pick that high you would think that whoever drafted him would have thought the same but hey it's called a lottery for a reason. I'm not speaking for anyone else other than me here but i like to go off of what i see and what i'm seeing in Vuc is a second year 22 year old who's proving that he's not just a player you throw in a trade. If he continues his play and continues to get better i don't see why we can't move forward with him at the Center position because i don't see what he lacks that he can't work on and improve.
_DudeItsMagic_
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#269 » by _DudeItsMagic_ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:36 pm

watched St. Johns play yesterday on ESPN and I am telling you this freshman C/PF Chris Obekpa is a prospect to watch. Completely dominated the paint with 8 blocks and many more altered shots. While undersized at 6'9", he has something like a 7'3" wingspan. He is raw as he is originally from a country in Africa, but is actually a solid shooter; hit a 20 footer yesterday in the final minute to clinch the win. I will admit I am a St Johns fan so I may be biased, but he jumped off the screen much like Harkless did last year when I watched each one of his games.
-CHeers

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/s ... -1.4219224

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr2QMWnVI7M
jUsT rEmEmBeR wE aRe aLL mAgiC fAnS
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#270 » by Just Plain Mark » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Alex Len (a center for Maryland) had a good game against Nerlens Noel and Kentucky - 23 pts, 12 rbs, and 4 blocks. He needs to add some strength, but he seems reasonable coordinated and even hit a long jumper. I'm not sure if he'd be an upgrade over Vuc, but he's only a sophomore.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#271 » by Cigamodnalro » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Just Plain Mark wrote:Alex Len (a center for Maryland) had a good game against Nerlens Noel and Kentucky - 23 pts, 12 rbs, and 4 blocks. He needs to add some strength, but he seems reasonable coordinated and even hit a long jumper. I'm not sure if he'd be an upgrade over Vuc, but he's only a sophomore.

He and Vucc have a lot in common, actually. Both came to the US as HS seniors, and both started playing at young ages in their native countries. Len is from Ukraine, and Flying V from Montenegro. Both are finesse bigs without super athleticism but with a penchant for scoring from up close without having plays called specifically for them. I like Len, and think he might have a higher ceiling than V, though not by all that much. It's super early, but I think we go in a different direction at least as of now.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#272 » by Def Swami » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:03 pm

The 2012-13 college basketball season is underway, which means attention to the 2013 NBA Draft is already being paid.

ESPN's Chad Ford has Cody Zeller, Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad, Alex Len and James Michael McAdoo in his top-5 in no particular order.

Jonathan Givony of Draft Express has Muhammad, Noel, Zeller, Rudy Gobert of Cholet and McAdoo in his current mock draft. Len is currently slotted 14th.

"Only player that I've made some major revisions on is Alex Len of Maryland," said Ford. "Just think he took a major leap over the summer and at 7-1 with his skill set, he's going to be a Top 5 pick. Reminds me a little bit of a young Ilgauskas."

Via RealGM Staff Report
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#273 » by KillMonger » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Holy mother.....i didn't know anything about Aaron Gordon until my boy put me on today. Should be in the 2014 draft with Wiggins

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI2LcYQwhrM&feature=related[/youtube]

He's like Blake Griffin with Handle and a jumper
blue and white
Bench Warmer
And1: 57

Post#274 » by blue and white » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:04 am

Bobby Ray wrote:Holy mother.....i didn't know anything about Aaron Gordon until my boy put me on today. Should be in the 2014 draft with Wiggins

amazing. I cant get over how deep and talented the 2014 draft looks so far its just so rediculous
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#275 » by Def Swami » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:20 am

blue and white wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:Holy mother.....i didn't know anything about Aaron Gordon until my boy put me on today. Should be in the 2014 draft with Wiggins

amazing. I cant get over how deep and talented the 2014 draft looks so far its just so rediculous

We need picks in that draft bad.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#276 » by Def Swami » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 am

Shabazz is free! Time to tune in to Bruins games.
@Hoopmixtape
Shabazz Muhammad has been cleared by the NCAA. About time!
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#277 » by thelead » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:34 am

VGOSWAMI wrote:Shabazz is free! Time to tune in to Bruins games.
@Hoopmixtape

Thank god. I really want to see if he can be efficient and consistent. That is my biggest question mark with him.
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#278 » by Truth24 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:04 am

thelead wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:Shabazz is free! Time to tune in to Bruins games.
@Hoopmixtape

Thank god. I really want to see if he can be efficient and consistent. That is my biggest question mark with him.

I really can't wait to see how Shabazz and Kyle do with the bruins this year, Shabazz and Anthony Bennett are my favorite two prospects right now.
glove1989
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#279 » by glove1989 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:40 am

2014 is looking like a super talented draft. Every player at the top looks like a freak athlete AND skillful. The past couples years have been one or the other and risks being taken or gm playing it safe. I know its early but that class looks like it can produce multiple superstars.
Hail to Pitt!
We Will!
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#280 » by SmiteaDwight » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:28 am

Shabazz is the real deal. He has a midrange game, that's what's keeping Austin Rivers from scoring this year.

Return to Orlando Magic