ImageImageImage

ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota 

Post#1 » by Gunny » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8634948/josh-howard-agrees-terms-minnesota-timberwolves-according-sources

The Minnesota Timberwolves have agreed to terms with free agent forward Josh Howard, according to league sources.

Howard will add depth to the injury-ravaged Wolves, who lost Chase Budinger to injury earlier this week. Forward Kevin Love, guards Ricky Rubio, J.J. Barea and Brandon Roy also are sidelined with injuries.

Howard, a nine-year veteran, will receive a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum. He is expected to fly to Minnesota for his physical Thursday.

The 32-year old forward has career averages of 14.5 points and 5.8 rebounds. He averaged 9 points and 4 rebounds for Utah last season.
Junior
And1: 112

Re: ESPN: Josh Howard to Minnesota 

Post#2 » by ... » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Ruh-Roh, Shaggy.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#3 » by cpfsf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:08 pm

That's just who I wanted. You really can't do much better with the vet min. I imagine Conroy is by far the most likely candidate to be cut.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Chocobanana
Lead Assistant
And1: 214

Post#4 » by Chocobanana » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:15 pm

How did he become so bad anyway? I remember in Dallas he was pretty good.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#5 » by cpfsf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:25 pm

someone already added that on wikipedia. that's scary fast.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,590

Post#6 » by AK47MVP » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:32 pm

I am disappointed it is not Pietrus. Howard is very selfish, looking for his own shot only. Not sure how Adelman is seeing him in his offense. I guess for 7-10 min a game to give AK some rest . It should be ok as long as he does not brick jumpers every possesion.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#7 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:34 pm

“@DarrenWolfson: Told the workout in Dallas went well on Monday. It was always a matter of getting Pietrus or Howard to say yes to the vet min. Howard did.”

“@DarrenWolfson: Howard is flying into town today. He'll have to pass a physical, which will happen today. If ok, he'll be in uniform tomorrow. #twolves”

“@JerryZgoda: Wolves' deal w/ Josh Howard on vet's minimum, per @Chris_Broussard, is intended to cut AK's load. He's played 44 mins each last 2 games”

“@APkrawczynski: Howard was relatively productive for Utah last year with 8.7 points in 23.7 minutes per game. Wolves would be elated w/that production”
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
bluethunder0005
Pro Prospect
And1: 146

Post#8 » by bluethunder0005 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:36 pm

I think this is a solid move especially for the minimum. I'm not a Howard fan by any stretch of the imagination but he may be able to help this team out offensively till we get some guys back,
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Post#9 » by Calinks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Don't get it. He doesn't play the 2, hasn't looked particularly good..... Poetry's seemed like the better fit. Well hopefully he still has some game. I am sure Adelman personally signed off on it so he must have done so for a reason.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#10 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Calinks wrote:Don't get it. He doesn't play the 2, hasn't looked particularly good..... Poetry's seemed like the better fit. Well hopefully he still has some game. I am sure Adelman personally signed off on it so he must have done so for a reason.

I'm no fan of Howard but a backup 3 is a much bigger need that another 2.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:42 pm

From the little I remember about him, he seems like he could fit into the Budinger role off the bench. That's what we're really looking for with this move IMO.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,590

Post#12 » by AK47MVP » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Klomp wrote:From the little I remember about him, he seems like he could fit into the Budinger role off the bench. That's what we're really looking for with this move IMO.

For that he would need to shoot at least 35% on his 3pts. Doubt it will happen. He shot very poorly last year with Utah. He is nowhere defender he used to be due to his bad knees. Last year I was watching him play with Utah, his mindset was always to take jumpers or attack the basket, and he did it at horrible FG%. Not sure Wolves need that.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#13 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Adam Morrison was the way to go.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#14 » by Foye » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:01 pm

I guess I don't care.

Conroy was unable to even make a field goal when he played. Howard can't be much worse and gives Kirilenko some much needed rest.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:01 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
Klomp wrote:From the little I remember about him, he seems like he could fit into the Budinger role off the bench. That's what we're really looking for with this move IMO.

For that he would need to shoot at least 35% on his 3pts. Doubt it will happen. He shot very poorly last year with Utah. He is nowhere defender he used to be due to his bad knees. Last year I was watching him play with Utah, his mindset was always to take jumpers or attack the basket, and he did it at horrible FG%. Not sure Wolves need that.

Small sample size, I know, but as long as he sticks to the corner threes, it could. Hit 43% (3/7) on corner threes last year, but 21% (6/29) above the break.

And I would say his attacking mindset is something we need. Everyone else healthy right now is known as a defensive player first. We need someone who can create some offense.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:08 pm

“@JerryZgoda: On Howard from someone who knows: Great fit, good in locker room, quiet, high BB IQ, a scorer, can be a ball stopper but not a black hole”

And he's BLACK, Jerry! (sorry, had to)

NewWolves
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#17 » by NewWolves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:27 pm

AK47MVP wrote:

Although I agree he was awful last year with Utah, i think this is another situation. Now he is a free agent and is brought to a new team that is only interested in him because of the injuries - So Im sure his role will be very specific at what the coaching staff is seeking from him. I doubt Adelman give him the green light to do what he did in Utah
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#18 » by Krapinsky » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Both Pietrus and Howard are pretty terrible. I'd take Howard over Pietrus though, just because he's the better offensive player. Pietrus had an 8.58 PER last year fwiw.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#19 » by TMo519 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Can't argue it, we need bodies, and he can contribute still. I'm sure Adelman will figure out a way to fit him in.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Both Pietrus and Howard are pretty terrible. I'd take Howard over Pietrus though, just because he's the better offensive player. Pietrus had an 8.58 PER last year fwiw.

Good call. Pietrus is still a guy that needs to be set up. Howard can create.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves