Mike Bresnahan: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Re: Mike Bresnahan: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni 

Post#441 » by Dr Aki » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Leaguepass wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Posted in another thread, an analysis from an online bookmaker. (Note, they arrived at these figures by simulating the remaining games on our schedule 50,000 times.)

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers with Mike D’Antoni as head coach

Projected record: 54.5-27.5

Projected Western Conference Playoff seed: 3 (after the Spurs and Thunder)

Points-per-game: 103.8

Opponent Points-per-game: 97.9

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers with Phil Jackson as head coach

Projected record: 52.9-29.2

Projected Western Conference Playoff seed: 4 (after the Spurs, Thunder and Grizzlies)

Points-per-game: 101.4

Opponent Points-per-game: 96.3

Ultimately, the analysis is pretty straightforward. Steve Nash is far more important to have on this roster under D’Antoni than just about anyone else ever. With D’Antoni as his coach, Nash became one of the more efficient scorers and dynamic playmakers in the league. A true, distributing point guard is almost an irrelevant position in any other system in the league right now - especially to Phil Jackson who won 11 championships without getting value out of the point guard position. In Brown’s system, Nash’s value was already going to be limited. Now, assuming he can get and stay healthy, it should be maximized.

Defensively, there can be concerns with D’Antoni’s approach, but it is not as if defense is ignored. Plus, while players like Kobe Bryant and Metta World Peace are certainly more than capable defensive players, Dwight Howard has the type of defensive talent and size that I alluded to earlier that can transcend scheme. On that end of the court, he should not really be a much better or worse defender (the rebound rate may go down a little, but his actual rebounds may increase due to pace, while his offensive game will have very little pressure and is a luxury), which will help this team considerably.

And then there is the bench. Long a glaring weakness of the Lakers, output from the bench was considerably lacking in the short-lived Mike Brown era (which is really more the front office’s fault than Brown’s). While it is not like Jordan Hill will become Channing Frye overnight, the rest of the bench looks well suited to adapt to D’Antoni’s style, spacing and pace, as opposed to remaining afterthoughts as they likely would have under Jackson. Watch for Steve Blake to contribute more as an outside shooter, for Antawn Jamison (and starter Pau Gasol) to become an even stronger mid-range weapon and for Jodie Meeks to play the role he was always destine to as he starts launching threes more often (of all Lakers, Nash, Meeks, Jamison and Darius Morris have the most to potentially gain from the hire, while Hill, World Peace, Devin Ebanks and Earl Clark to struggle shoul struggle most as bad fits).

Summing it up, D’Antoni is the better hire – barely – and the team is a threat no matter who coaches.

Sorry but that's complete trash. How in the world are you going to come up with accurate numbers through simulating the games 50000? That's absolute bogus IMO....what's the system behind it?How does the computer calculate D'antoni's impact vs. Jackson's impact?

you're not one of those republicans who didn't like nate silver are you?

that said, whether you believe it or not, how are you going to argue with a computer?
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#442 » by Dr Aki » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
tugs wrote:can we at least give him a week of practice with the team and 3 regular season games?

+1

I'd even say give Mike D'Antoni 10-15 games before you judge his coaching, either way.

we always start off by saying we're going to be patient

and then 5 games in BAM! YOU'RE FIRED!!!!
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,409

Post#443 » by Patman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I don't think Amare's better. Pau is better. I think Amare is familiar with D'Antoni's system, and he's been a fantastic teammate to Steve Nash. I also recall Stoudemire having some huge playoff games against Tim Duncan. I only suggest Pau for Amare PLUS PICK(s) might be beneficial to both NYK and LAL.

What should happen is the Lakers should let D'Antoni coach about 12-15 games, and then evaluate the feasibility of trading at all. Keep Pau and the core. Edrees, Amare has been injured. Wait to see him (relatively at this point) healthy, too.

Honestly, if Pau were to be traded, the Lakers should hope for someone like Josh Smith in return. I can't see even the Heat having a chance against Kobe, Dwight, Josh Smith, and Steve Nash, with MWP.

The Heat (or any other team) would just pack in the paint. They'll dare MWP to shoot 3's and J-Smooth to shoot long two's. And we know they'll both keep taking those shots.

Also, there's nothing Amare can do that Dwight can't do better. If NYK would include a shooter or two in the trade, then maybe.
oski24
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#444 » by oski24 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:42 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfhjvrXJ_Vs[/youtube]
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#445 » by Lost Angel » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm

all i know is that i'm stoked by the hiring.

looking forward to see the game become easier for Kobe, and what type of overall effect is has on his stamina in the playoffs
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#446 » by GAME TIME » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers may have hired Phil Jackson as their next head coach had he not hesitated when meeting with Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss.

Jackson asked for two more days to contemplate coming back to the Lakers.

"We would have gone back immediately and gone back and holed up with Dr. [Jerry] Buss and decided what we were going to do that day," Kupchak said.

The Lakers moved forward with Mike D'Antoni after not hearing back from Jackson for approximately 30 hours.

"There was no agreement to wait for [Jackson's] response on Monday," Kupchak said. "He told us that's when he would get back to us. I could see where he might interpret that as 'You guys would wait for me.' But I thought when I said I had to go on and interview other candidates that it was clear I had a job to do."

:o
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#447 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 pm

tugs wrote:can we at least give him a week of practice with the team and 3 regular season games?

+1

I'd even say give Mike D'Antoni 10-15 games before you judge his coaching, either way.

Lakers only scored 82 last night, it's obvious D'Antoni's system doesn't work for the Lakers!
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#448 » by Jakay » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 am

madmaxmedia wrote:

+1

Lakers only scored 82 last night, it's obvious D'Antoni's system doesn't work for the Lakers!

Amazing post.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,261

Post#449 » by picc » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:49 am

You guys know where D'Antoni is really going to help us? In situations like we had last night.

Last play of the game, we have a bad play design to get Kobe open or create a shot and end up with a Pau 3. MDA is the MASTER of designing last second plays, alongside Pop (who proved it with that play to get Green open). I remember marveling at the Suns genius execution in last second scenarios over the years when MDA was there.

With the weapons he has in this team, MDA's offensive genius is really going to get to shine through. With the Suns he only had one playmaker. With the Knicks, 1, 2 maybe. With these Lakers he has 3 playmakers and another guy who draws doubles in Dwight.

If we can find a way to stay focused on D and create a consistent scheme, our offense alone is going to carry us to a lot of wins. And we'll be deadly come the end of a tight game.
RisingSun
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#450 » by RisingSun » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 pm

picc wrote:. MDA is the MASTER of designing last second plays, alongside Pop (who proved it with that play to get Green open). I remember marveling at the Suns genius execution in last second scenarios over the years when MDA was there.

:lol: :lol: :lol: i´m sorry but :lol: :lol: :lol: i´m really tryin´not to be an ass here but :lol: :lol: :lol:

na srsly could be worse :wink:
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,261

Post#451 » by picc » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Elaborate. Ive seen the Suns come up with great shots end of game over the years, so surely he has some credibility in this? Whereas a knock on Phil J. In laker forums has been we've always been a bumbling mess at the end of games, only bailed out by kobe's shotmaking ability. I can clearly remember marveling at the suns play calling, at least in comparison with our own.

Long as your here, tell us about your experience with him and what to expect.
Bandwagon1
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#452 » by Bandwagon1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Press conference today?
GG
HoopsIsLife
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#453 » by HoopsIsLife » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Patman wrote:
Also, there's nothing Amare can do that Dwight can't do better. If NYK would include a shooter or two in the trade, then maybe.

Well, come on, Howard may be better overall, but let's get real.

Stoudemire is an excellent "pick & pop" shooter who is very effective at about 15-18 feet. He does this FAR better than Howard. He's also an excellent free throw shooter so, unlike Howard, fouling him and sending him to the line does not tend to work out as a strategy.

I'd also rate Stoudemire as one of the best assisted finishers in the game over the last 10 years or so.
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#454 » by GAME TIME » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Bandwagon1 wrote:Press conference today?

Mike D'Antoni will be introduced as head coach of the Lakers in a press conference following Thursday's practice at approximately 2 PT.
Kalidogg24
Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#455 » by Kalidogg24 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Right Click and open picture in a new tab to get full image.

REST IN PARADISE GOAT
#TeamFlightBrothers
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#456 » by minifang » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:04 pm

http://www.nba.com/lakers/live

live stream right now. sorry if already posted.
The Purple and Gold
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#457 » by Danny Darko » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 pm

http://www.nba.com/lakers/live

live stream of presser
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#458 » by Gek » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 pm

It is also on NBA TV.
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
ennui
General Manager
And1: 955

Post#459 » by ennui » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 pm

not working for me
C'mon, you apes! You wanna live forever?
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#460 » by minifang » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 pm

It just ended not too long ago. That's why.
The Purple and Gold

Return to Los Angeles Lakers