Royce White Situation

peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Royce White Situation 

Post#1 » by peachbucket » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:40 am

Royce White has always struck me as someone who is super intelligent and very rational which completely conflicts with his recent actions if he wants to have an NBA career. As strange as it sounds, I think he may be using his anxiety as an excuse in order to get cut and still receive the 3 mill+ owed on his guaranteed contract after deciding this NBA thing wasn't for him.

I would think that the fact that he was so open about his condition prior to the draft would probably make it very difficult for Houston to void his contract which I am sure at this point they would love to do. Has there ever been a precedent like this in the NBA? Does anyone know if there are limits to fines the Rockets can impose for insubordination?
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Re: Royce White Situation 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:04 pm

peachbucket wrote:Royce White has always struck me as someone who is super intelligent and very rational which completely conflicts with his recent actions if he wants to have an NBA career. As strange as it sounds, I think he may be using his anxiety as an excuse in order to get cut and still receive the 3 mill+ owed on his guaranteed contract after deciding this NBA thing wasn't for him.

I would think that the fact that he was so open about his condition prior to the draft would probably make it very difficult for Houston to void his contract which I am sure at this point they would love to do. Has there ever been a precedent like this in the NBA? Does anyone know if there are limits to fines the Rockets can impose for insubordination?

A decent list of the possible fines: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q103

Since he was officially sent to the dleague, it would look like a clear case of:
Failure to report for an NBA Developmental League assignment: Suspension until the player reports.

So, in theory they could keep him suspended, and thus he would be receiving no pay. He could and I assume would appeal this.

Worth noting:
A suspended player can be traded.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#3 » by Dunkenstein » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 am

Just a thought. But his actions and his statements make me wonder if he isn't preparing to sue the Rockets under the Americans with Disabilities Act claiming that his work environment is not conducive to a person with a mental disability such as his.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#4 » by HurricaneKid » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:13 pm

It sure seems to me like Hou has exceeded any reasonable expectation of accomodation.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Post#5 » by mnWI » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 am

peachbucket wrote:Royce White has always struck me as someone who is super intelligent and very rational which completely conflicts with his recent actions if he wants to have an NBA career. As strange as it sounds, I think he may be using his anxiety as an excuse in order to get cut and still receive the 3 mill+ owed on his guaranteed contract after deciding this NBA thing wasn't for him.

The reason he was so open about his condition during the draft process is so he could fool people like you into thinking that he is a very rational person. His transgressions dating back to high school and the University of Minnesota would paint a different picture.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#6 » by pickIBL » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Yes Royce got in trouble in the past so he latched onto a real disability to help explain his behavior. Fred Hoiberg has got to be getting major crap for talking this guy up to everyone. You can have a disability and still be a bad employee.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL

Return to CBA & Business