Post#2 » by Ckay » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 am

thanks
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Re: Mike D'Antoni press conference 

Post#3 » by Slava » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:03 am

Not to kick a dog when its down but you get a quiet assurance from Mike D's responses quite unlike Mike Brown who always seemed like he was sweet talking for the situation.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#4 » by minifang » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:30 am

Any news on who his assistants are going to be?
The Purple and Gold
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#5 » by Speedlot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:53 am

Offense offense. At least we'll be exciting. Sorta.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,112

Post#6 » by Dr Aki » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 am

d'antoni's a funny guy
kobeaki
Veteran
And1: 6

Post#7 » by kobeaki » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:11 am

I'm feeling a bit better about mda, I hope we will be ok and cogent...

I miss Phil, wanted him back, long before brown was fired....

But , que sera sera, I watched much of the presser live, and he is a good guy, and I wish mda well...
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

XuDa wrote:Magic, Bird and the other 80#s HOF'ers were holding the league back and stunting it's development big time.

:lol:
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#8 » by minifang » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:21 am

He just seems so much more knowledgeable about the game than Brown. It's natural to him and Brown often had to "think" or so it seemed.
The Purple and Gold
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#9 » by Jakay » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 am

"I'd like to put the D back in my name. Some people been leaving it out... that's not fair".

Awesome quote.
Puffthemagic
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#10 » by Puffthemagic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:31 am

omg the " I am heavily Medicated" lol
How's this for an almost unbelievable Laker trivia: The Lakers will miss the playoffs this year for the 3rd time since 1976.
Just 3 times in almost 40 years!!!!
Kobean
Senior
And1: 27

Post#11 » by Kobean » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:57 pm

I like the sound of the way he wants to run the offense, I just want to know who will back up Nash because he said Duhon knows the system well and is good in it but he was talking about how Blake would play well in this system.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#12 » by crazyeights » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:47 pm

I guess I had never seen MDA speak save for a few in-game interviews before. Yeah, he's different from PJ, but in a way they are the same side of the coin in that their philosophy isn't about plays, it's about unleashing a player's potential by letting him read the situation and just play.

I think going from MB, where we seemed to be bottling up that potential, this is a great hire.

Would PJ have inspired more confidence? Yes, but MDA seems like a really good fit. To be continued...
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#13 » by JellosJigglin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:03 pm

hard to argue against PJ. We never saw a player go from PJ to another team and become a better player. Almost always the opposite actually, they get worse. He knew how to get the most out of players. We'll see if D'Antoni has that same pedigree.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#14 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Is anybody else getting the vibe that Nash is basically coaching the offense from this?

It's a really weird dynamic... All of a sudden, it's almost like it's Steve Nash's team and Kobe's almost a role-player...

Mike seemed to talk about Nash and Dwight, and the rest.

For the record, I don't have much of a problem with that... It's just a big departure at least on the surface...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#15 » by GAME TIME » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:32 pm

"I know that the point guard is the one running the ship, but I told Dwight today he can be in every play," D'Antoni said. "We don't call plays. So he can run down and pick the ball and he's rolling to the basket. One of the least efficient plays in basketball is just the straight post-up. It's just not efficient. ... His touches should increase, his ability to get to the rim should increase and it should be a lot easier for Dwight."

Howard's eyes seemed to widen, almost in disbelief, when he revealed Thursday that D'Antoni told the Lakers they "should be scoring 110 points a game or something like that," Howard said. The big fella should be a big part of it --- "The big man should eat," Howard said -- because he's never become a straight post-up player in the traditional sense to begin with. But he also understands that his unexpected marriage to D'Antoni and his offensive system really starts at the end of the floor Howard has dominated as the three-time defensive player of the year.

:o
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#16 » by GAME TIME » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:41 pm

I would want to post up if they have the right match up or draw doubles to get someone open. Dan Tony needs to recognize the strengths of his new team. Howard, Pau, Kobe and even Peace with mismatches can post up. I'm assuming he means he would rather have movement to get the bigs in good position for an high efficiency shot, but I hope he explores the weapons he has , because of their versatlity.
LateRoundFlyer
Junior
And1: 8

Post#17 » by LateRoundFlyer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:00 pm

I wish people would stop exaggerating that. There isn't anything wrong with what he said. It wasn't like he came out and said the bigs or Kobe could no longer post-up, just that it would no longer be the play they went to first on each possession.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#18 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Those players are naturally going to post up anyways. It's in their habit. It might not be with regularity but they will still do it.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#19 » by TyCobb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 pm

GAME TIME wrote:I would want to post up if they have the right match up or draw doubles to get someone open. Dan Tony needs to recognize the strengths of his new team. Howard, Pau, Kobe and even Peace with mismatches can post up. I'm assuming he means he would rather have movement to get the bigs in good position for an high efficiency shot, but I hope he explores the weapons he has , because of their versatlity.

It's interesting to see that this old, slow team with a dominant center and Kobe Bryant is better suited for Mike over Phil.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#20 » by TyCobb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Kilroy wrote:Is anybody else getting the vibe that Nash is basically coaching the offense from this?

It's a really weird dynamic... All of a sudden, it's almost like it's Steve Nash's team and Kobe's almost a role-player...

Mike seemed to talk about Nash and Dwight, and the rest.

For the record, I don't have much of a problem with that... It's just a big departure at least on the surface...

He was on Nash's coattails hard.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers