ImageImageImageImage

Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

PeePee la Fritz
Sixth Man
And1: 84

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#401 » by PeePee la Fritz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:31 am

thelead wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:
thelead wrote: :nod: I'm still pissed we couldn't put one great scorer around that defensive monster.

Who'd you have in mind? Wade? Kobe? (I suppose we could have gotten Ellis or the like if we'd still had Gortat to trade, I'll grant you that.) We had multiple 20+ per game scorers around Howard, even if Lewis largely spotted up. It's not Jameer's fault he got injured in 2009, and Carter was very effective for most of his stay here, even if he wasn't driving for layups all game.

I said "great" not "good" (ie Lewis and Carter do not fall into the great scorer category). We had one under contract the year we drafted Dwight... just sayin'.

You mean the idiot that demanded Orlando draft Okafor over Howard, and pouted and cited irreconcilable differences because Wisebroad didn't call him to wish him a happy birthday? I'm sorry, there is no way you convince me that Dwight with T-Mac wins a title. McGrady is way too mentally weak to ever win a championship as the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#402 » by J the Drafter » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:56 am

PeePee la Fritz wrote:You mean the idiot that demanded Orlando draft Okafor over Howard, and pouted and cited irreconcilable differences because Wisebroad didn't call him to wish him a happy birthday? I'm sorry, there is no way you convince me that Dwight with T-Mac wins a title. McGrady is way too mentally weak to ever win a championship as the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option

McGrady's pouting doesn't make any less effective as a player.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
PeePee la Fritz
Sixth Man

Post#403 » by PeePee la Fritz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:23 am

J the Drafter wrote:
PeePee la Fritz wrote:You mean the idiot that demanded Orlando draft Okafor over Howard, and pouted and cited irreconcilable differences because Wisebroad didn't call him to wish him a happy birthday? I'm sorry, there is no way you convince me that Dwight with T-Mac wins a title. McGrady is way too mentally weak to ever win a championship as the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option

3-1 up against the Pistons and you don't win the series. Championship caliber players DO NOT let that happen. That team would contend every year with T-Mac and Dwight, but it would never win. You need mental toughness to win a title, and those are 2 players that just don't have it
PeePee la Fritz
Sixth Man

Post#404 » by PeePee la Fritz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:24 am

How many playoff series did he win?
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#405 » by J the Drafter » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:25 am

PeePee la Fritz wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:

3-1 up against the Pistons and you don't win the series. Championship caliber players DO NOT let that happen. That team would contend every year with T-Mac and Dwight, but it would never win. You need mental toughness to win a title, and those are 2 players that just don't have it

It's not like that Pistons team was better than us, or hell, like Kobe's Lakers' had a similar collapse in 2006.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Post#406 » by Reverse_Angle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:30 am

Bobby Ray wrote:I know it's early but take it with a grain of salt. What Vuc is doing isn't too bad

now considering Marc is playing 6 more minutes the numbers are somewhat similar. Got to appreciate that at the very least Vuc is contributing. Has a long way to go to be any REAL comparison to Marc Gasol but through 8 or so games he's been comparable

The good Gasol is a special player primarily because of his basketball mind aside having the tools of being a decent NBA starting center, which does show up in stats--well, maybe apg. Closest comparison to marc gasol would be vlade divac. Vuc is more of mobile scorer type of game at the moment.

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#407 » by RickB-Orlando » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:37 am

Bobby Ray wrote:I disagree with almost everything Thelead just said. I think he has a high ceiling and i think he deserves a chance to try to reach that potential. It's all on Vucevic to work hard to become a great player i swear man some people may be spoiled because of Dwight being our center for so long so everything else looks weak in comparison whether people are comparing without knowing. No Big in this upcoming draft class or the next one seems good enough to me to take Vuc's spot he's only in his second year and he's a project and only 22 years old let's have some patience. Let's judge him after another year of development

Is that you, Nik?

Just kidding, I tend to agree with this. Vucevic has shown a pretty impressive skillet so far, for a 22 year old. He's got plenty of ceiling. I've been saying since training camp started he's got the potential to be a top ten, possibly top five center in the league in a few years.
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#408 » by arsenal6106 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:46 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjvLGxftIIE[/youtube]
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#409 » by SmiteaDwight » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:00 am

Reverse_Angle wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:I know it's early but take it with a grain of salt. What Vuc is doing isn't too bad

now considering Marc is playing 6 more minutes the numbers are somewhat similar. Got to appreciate that at the very least Vuc is contributing. Has a long way to go to be any REAL comparison to Marc Gasol but through 8 or so games he's been comparable

The good Gasol is a special player primarily because of his basketball mind aside having the tools of being a decent NBA starting center, which does show up in stats--well, maybe apg. Closest comparison to marc gasol would be vlade divac. Vuc is more of mobile scorer type of game at the moment.

You guys are forgetting the obvious fact that Gasol plays next to Zach Randolph, whos averaging 14 rpg(!). Seriously, Marc Gasol is world's ahead of Vuc in every way, even if their numbers are similar.

TBH Vuc hasnt really impressed me at all. He could be an alright backup but I don't expect him to ever really be a competent starting center. Of course the Magic are pretty good at developing players like we have Gortat, Dwight and JJ so he could come around, but currently he's nothing to write home about.

If we draft Zeller or Nerlens I expect them to take the starting spot next year.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#410 » by SmiteaDwight » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:05 am

thelead wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:
thelead wrote: :nod: I'm still pissed we couldn't put one great scorer around that defensive monster.

Who'd you have in mind? Wade? Kobe? (I suppose we could have gotten Ellis or the like if we'd still had Gortat to trade, I'll grant you that.) We had multiple 20+ per game scorers around Howard, even if Lewis largely spotted up. It's not Jameer's fault he got injured in 2009, and Carter was very effective for most of his stay here, even if he wasn't driving for layups all game.

I said "great" not "good" (ie Lewis and Carter do not fall into the great scorer category). We had one under contract the year we drafted Dwight... just sayin'.

Dwight + 1 other guy in the top 25 on the team we had in 09 would beat the Lakers IMO.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,963

Post#411 » by KillMonger » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:25 am

I guess everyone has their own opinion on Vuc. I'm of the opinion that he will be pretty good with development and to me no Big in this upcoming draft could take his spot in their first couple years in my opinion every Big in this draft class looks like a project to me. Vuc is putting up decent numbers as a 2nd year 22 year old right now in the NBA and me personally i thought he would be a stiff. I'm impressed with him personally but i can understand the people that aren't because maybe their looking for a different type of Center. I guess with me i just know i'm not looking at a finished product and feel that he can only get better with time. People are making him sound like shawn Bradley or something.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#412 » by OrlandO » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:47 am

Bobby Ray wrote:People are making him sound like shawn Bradley or something.

Hey, Bradley was block king one year at 4 per game!
T-Rob
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 58

Post#413 » by T-Rob » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:03 am

Was hoping to see O'quinn play when they put in Drummond, O'quinn got in his head in the summer leagues and it was alot of fun to watch. Wanted the O'quinn/Drummon rematch!
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#414 » by SmiteaDwight » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:08 am

Bobby Ray wrote:I guess everyone has their own opinion on Vuc. I'm of the opinion that he will be pretty good with development and to me no Big in this upcoming draft could take his spot in their first couple years in my opinion every Big in this draft class looks like a project to me. Vuc is putting up decent numbers as a 2nd year 22 year old right now in the NBA and me personally i thought he would be a stiff. I'm impressed with him personally but i can understand the people that aren't because maybe their looking for a different type of Center. I guess with me i just know i'm not looking at a finished product and feel that he can only get better with time. People are making him sound like shawn Bradley or something.

Ahh Maybe you're right.

I dunno, just watching his slow rotations on d tonight just killed it for me.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#415 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:31 am

Drummond is going to be a beast once he figures everything out.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#416 » by OrlandO » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:36 am

I guess there's no vest thread?
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#417 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:03 am

When you look at Vucc in context you have to be pleased so far, he really didn't play alot last year, to come in and be an 11/9 guy in 30 MPG in your first month playing any meaningful basketball is pretty solid, now obviously he needs to get bigger, he gets pushed around to easy still, but in every game he's played over 28 minutes he has a double double except for one, also his assists are going up he has four games so far with atleast 10/10/3.....last 3 it's 12.5/12/3 i'll take that considering how raw he still is!
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#418 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:11 am

thelead wrote:
Malik Starks wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:We needed Meer's penetration and passing tonight. If we can stay Healthy we'll be better than people expected.

If the so called experts were objective they would already see this team is pretty good. We've played a pretty brutal schedule, look at our losses:

Two losses to a very good Brooklyn team, One loss to an undefeated Knicks team (including wins over Miami, and San Antonio), one loss to a Memphis team that is looking like the best team in Western Conference. The only loss you can point to has been Minnesota, and they aren't half bad either.

And our 3 wins come against the 4-5 Nuggets, 4-5 Suns, and 1-9 Pistons. What's your point?

why do you come here just to bash the team all the time?
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
bossrossBBD
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#419 » by bossrossBBD » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:17 am

very encouraging signs this game

quitely Mcbob actually played good on D he spent some time guarding Prince and really did well.
Ayon played like he did in preseason (well) Moore seemed more comfortable running the point off the bench,
Nicholson is probably our most consistent player he always seems to produce that 6 or so points off the bench in a short amount of time.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#420 » by KingRobb02 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:19 pm

PeePee la Fritz wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:

Those magic teams were awful. Even getting to .500 with that team was an accomplishment. In the 2.5 years Kobe didn't have gasol or shaq, he had a losing record even with Odom and Bynum. Is he not a championship player now? Basketball is a team game. Tyronn Lue and Pat garrity are not enough.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

Return to Orlando Magic