OKC/PHO

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

koolcrud
Senior
And1: 398

OKC/PHO 

Post#1 » by koolcrud » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:42 pm

OKC Sends: Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, TOR 1st, DAL 1st
OKC Receives: Marcin Gortat

Why for OKC?: By far the biggest hole in the Thunder's starting line-up is Kendrick Perkins at center. However, moving him is not as easy as it may seem, because he is also the only legitimate big body on the Thunder who can adequately cover Marc Gasol and Dwight Howard in the playoffs. Therefore, any dead sending out Perkins is going to have to bring in a legit defensive center. Gortat fits that bill. He is also a very capable scorer and rebounder who would instantly transform the OKC offense into a truly fearsome beast. Adding the option of a Gortat pick and roll with Westbrook, with Durant on the wings is probably unguardable. It's the general consensus that OKC is going to need to do something with these picks and young players, as they don't have nearly the minutes to develop them all. This would cure the log jam.

Westbrook/Maynor/Jackson
Thabo/Martin
Durant/Jones
Ibaka/Collison
Gortat/Thabeet

OKC gets to keep a prized asset in PJ3, along with their own 1st and the CHA 2nd. Those assets could allow them to make another deal to fill a need near the deadline. Gortat is locked into a reasonable deal for this year and next. After that, there will be a money jam, and OKC will need to make a decision to either move Gortat or more likely Ibaka. This is something we've seen them do before with both Green and Harden, and fits into the organization's mantra of sustainability, while also making the Thunder a much more formidable threat to win now. If they win a championship or two with this core, it also may change Clay Bennet's calculus on paying the luxury tax.

Why for PHO?: Obviously, Gortat is the best asset the Suns have going for them, they're in a strong financial position to eventually extend him, and it would take a king's ransom to pry him loose. I believe that this is a king's ransom. It would leave the Suns in a very enviable position for their rebuild. While Perkins is certainly a bad contract, he's a good leader for a young locker room and the Suns have some cap space. (Maybe the PHO medical staff could even get him playing at a high level again.) Jeremy Lamb would instantly become the organization's best wing prospect; and they have the minutes to develop him fully.

The Suns would also have an absolute bonanza of draft picks. Doing this deal now would enable them to full on tank for a pick that has an excellent chance of being top 5. They would also own the Raptors pick which looks likely to be between 4-8. They would also have 2 additional late 1st rounders, from both LAL and DAL. They also have 3 2nd rounders! 7 draft picks, 4 in the first round and 2 likely in the high lottery is obviously an incredible draft situation. It's not unreasonable at all to think that they could package the two later picks with something small to get another late lottery pick. The Suns would be well on their way to a Rockets-style rebuild, only with better assets.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Re: OKC/PHO 

Post#2 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Gortat is good and all. But he isn't worth two lottery picks and a first.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,496

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Over pay from OKC but they may actually do something along these lines. Gortat is a great fit with Ibaka IMO.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
koolcrud
Senior

Post#4 » by koolcrud » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:55 pm

If OKC is in fact overpaying, they could swap out that Dallas pick for the CHA 2nd. Just a minor adjustment, but it could make the value more fair.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#5 » by sonictecture » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 pm

Is PJ3 more prized to OKC than Toronto's lottery pick?

I'm fine with targeting Gortat and I'm fine with overpaying to get him, but if anyone thinks he solves all of the problems for OKC that seems like a mistake.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#6 » by thamadkant » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:06 am

This is commonly proposed at Suns boards by Suns fans except Jones come in and Thunder keep the Mavs pick...
But the offer here isn't a deal breaker IMO...

Although Suns prefer a third team who can use Perkins.
asudevil
Analyst
And1: 689

Post#7 » by asudevil » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:14 am

1UPZ wrote:This is commonly proposed at Suns boards by Suns fans except Jones come in and Thunder keep the Mavs pick...
But the offer here isn't a deal breaker IMO...

Although Suns prefer a third team who can use Perkins.

agreed. the suns already have 3 first rounders in the upcoming draft Own/Lakers or Miami/Memphis or Wolves, so adding 2 more is quite a bit overkill.

the deal that i thought would be somewhat more fair would be

Suns trade:
Marcin Gortat/Shannon Brown
Thunder trade:
Perkins/Lamb/Toronto Pick/PJ3
torotoe
Sixth Man
And1: 184

Post#8 » by torotoe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:59 am

I like the basic idea. I think the trade would take both teams in the direction they need to go in.
Ryu
Bench Warmer
And1: 552

Post#9 » by Ryu » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:13 pm

I like this deal for both teams.

OKC gets better chance in the championship battle while Suns go full rebuilding mode with nice wing prospect in Lamb and they can easily draft their future C in upcoming draft (Adams/Len/Zeller).
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#10 » by inquisitive » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Not a good deal.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#11 » by Ricepilar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:01 pm

sonictecture wrote:Is PJ3 more prized to OKC than Toronto's lottery pick?

I'm fine with targeting Gortat and I'm fine with overpaying to get him, but if anyone thinks he solves all of the problems for OKC that seems like a mistake.

That's exactly right. If they are going to dump a bunch of these assets into a deal, they need to fix more than their center situation.

What about this?

Marcin Gortat, Jared Dudley, and Kendall Marshall for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, Eric Maynor, DAL 1st, TOR 1st

Maybe OKC adds Perry Jones too.

OKC gets Dudley, a decent defending SG who can consistently knock down open shots. He would be a definite upgrade in the starting line-up over Seflosha who no one bothers to guard. They get Gortat to pick and roll. They also get a new back-up PG on a rookie contract, which is good because they probably wont be able to afford to pay Maynor.

Phoenix gets a bunch of promising young players and picks. I also think that if they wanted to trade his 3 years deal for a worse player on a 2 year deal, they probably could. (I'm looking at you, Andris Biendrins)
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#12 » by thamadkant » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Adding Dudley?

Then Thunder have a clogged rotation at SG with Martin, Dudley and Sefalosha. Although Dudley can and is better at SF.

And Telfar has been a nice energy Play maker off the bench so far and would be more contributor to Thunder NOW... So.

I still prefer a third team for Perkins.... but maybe deal after.

SUNS
IN: Lamb (SG) + Jones (SF/PF) + Maynor (SG) + Perkins(C) + Raptors 2013 1st
OUT: Gortat (C) + Dudley (SG/SF) + Telfair (PG)

THUNDER new rotation

C: Gortat
PF: Ibaka
SF: Durant
SG: Dudley
PG: Westbrook
Bench
SG: Martin
SG/SF: Sefalosha
PF/C: Collison
PG: Telfair

That's deep as...

SUNS / CELTICS do some trade to bring Perkins back to Boston... They can use him...
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#13 » by phx#7 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:12 pm

1UPZ wrote:I still prefer a third team for Perkins.... but maybe deal after.

SUNS
IN: Lamb (SG) + Jones (SF/PF) + Maynor (SG) + Perkins(C) + Raptors 2013 1st
OUT: Gortat (C) + Dudley (SG/SF) + Telfair (PG)

No one wants Perkins, the only way a team will take him is if given incentive or if they are giving back an equally bad contract(like Tyrus Thomas).

Maynor is a PG and I really don't see the need to swap him and Telfair as I'm sure both teams prefer the one they have. Also it seems unlikely for the Thunder to give up all the young prospects they added this offseason for Gortat and Dudley. Removing Jones or adding Marshall might make it more equitable.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#14 » by AdonisDeMarion » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 am

Suns laugh and hang up
koolcrud
Senior

Post#15 » by koolcrud » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:40 am

I think the Thunder would prefer to keep Jones as opposed to the DAL pick, just to move up a year in the development of a young prospect on a team built to win now. I feel like it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for PHO. 2 lotto picks and another 1st rounder is quite a haul.
eliasrapp98
Assistant Coach
And1: 381

Post#16 » by eliasrapp98 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:13 am

Don't really like it for the Suns. You have to remember they are taking in Perkins. Maybe:

Gortat for Perkins, Lamb, TOR 1st, DAL 1st, AND PJ3
PG: Russell Westbrook, Reggie Jackson
SG: Andre Roberson, Anthony Morrow, Jeremy Lamb
SF: Kevin Durant, KJ McDaniels, Perry Jones
PF: Serge Ibaka, Nick Collison, Robert Covington
Cc: Al Jefferson, Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins, Mitch McGary
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#17 » by Krodis » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:00 am

Trades with the Thunder are somwhat unwieldy. Perkins has to be in for salary matching purposes, but Perkins is negative value to an outgoing team, but not really negative value to OKC because OKC can just amnesty him if need be. So the Thunder don't really get anything by dumping Perkins that justifies sending out extra value, but other teams can't justify taking him on without extra value.
asudevil
Analyst
And1: 689

Post#18 » by asudevil » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:23 am

Krodis wrote:Trades with the Thunder are somwhat unwieldy. Perkins has to be in for salary matching purposes, but Perkins is negative value to an outgoing team, but not really negative value to OKC because OKC can just amnesty him if need be. So the Thunder don't really get anything by dumping Perkins that justifies sending out extra value, but other teams can't justify taking him on without extra value.

they'd still be on the hook for paying him almost $30mil to do nothing. Amnesty is a LAST RESORT for any team, so saying "they can just amnesty him if they want" becomes a non factor.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#19 » by Devilanche » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:55 am

asudevil wrote:
Krodis wrote:Trades with the Thunder are somwhat unwieldy. Perkins has to be in for salary matching purposes, but Perkins is negative value to an outgoing team, but not really negative value to OKC because OKC can just amnesty him if need be. So the Thunder don't really get anything by dumping Perkins that justifies sending out extra value, but other teams can't justify taking him on without extra value.

they'd still be on the hook for paying him almost $30mil to do nothing. Amnesty is a LAST RESORT for any team, so saying "they can just amnesty him if they want" becomes a non factor.

but the value that needs to be accompanied in his trade will decide whether okc does the trade, stay put or decide to trade/amnesty him another season when he's closer to expiring.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#20 » by djthesonicsfan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Gortat is a good center. An upgrade over Perkins. But the ask is way too much.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green

Return to Trades and Transactions