Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

New York Knicks (6-0) @ Memphis (6-1) 

Post#1 » by vanjulio » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:01 pm

TV: ESPN
Season Series: First meeting this season
Team Draft Trivia: Knicks are off to best start in 19 seasons. That 93-94 team lost in Game7 of NBA Finals to the Houston Rockets. That game featured current NBA figures such as Scott Brooks, Kenny Smith, and Doc Rivers.

Grizz Celeb of the Game

Grizzlies Starters

ImageImageImageImageImage

Knickerbocker Starters

ImageImageImageImageImage

Bench Heroes

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
KingTrue
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: New York Knicks (6-0) @ Memphis (6-1) 

Post#2 » by KingTrue » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:27 pm

We got guard the hell out 3 they love them.I smell 7-1 start if we do that!
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#3 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Game of the night!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:27 pm

This will another game of the week. The Knicks credit the coaching staff on being smarter and efficient on both ends of the floor. Outside of San Antonio and Miami, the Knicks haven't been taken to the brink. To take the Knicks out their comfort zone, the Grizz need to force turnovers and force the Knicks to become shooters. That way they will be limited in the paint.

Look for a thriller tonight.

Go Grizz!!!!!!!!!
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#5 » by jman3134 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Either way I think we come out with a win unless Melo is unstoppable. I think we can beat the Knicks in transition or by feeding our bigs in the halfcourt. It's going to be tough for them to stop us.
smha201
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#6 » by smha201 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Hey guys, Knicks fan checking in. Just wanted to say I found you fellas to be among the more respectable fans on these boards - classy and decent. I'm expecting a 12-round bout tonight and, regardless of outcome, I already believe both of these teams will be major threats to win it all this year. Should be a lot of fun.
BAT - Cleveland Cavaliers:
H.C.: T. Thibodeau
PG: Russell Westbrook / JJ Barea / Nolan Smith
SG: Danny Green / Gerald Henderson
SF: Shawn Marion / Marcus Morris / Sasha Pavlovic
PF: Zach Randolph / Brandan Wright / Tobias Harris
C: Channing Frye / Ekpe Udoh
Leaguepass
Starter
And1: 134

Post#7 » by Leaguepass » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:36 pm

SD2042 wrote:This will another game of the week. The Knicks credit the coaching staff on being smarter and efficient on both ends of the floor. Outside of San Antonio and Miami, the Knicks haven't been taken to the brink. To take the Knicks out their comfort zone, the Grizz need to force turnovers and force the Knicks to become shooters. That way they will be limited in the paint.

Look for a thriller tonight.

Go Grizz!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, don't mean to be disrespectful but I think you are wrong on 2 points:

1)The Knicks beat Miami by 20 points (104-84) so I think you must be confusing the game.

2)The Knicks currently lead the league in 3 point field goals made at 12 per game. Second placed Miami makes "only" 9 per game. Kidd,Smith,Novak,Brewer and even Melo/Felton have scored the majority of their points through jumpshots so I don't think that's really the best tactic. I would actually say running the Knicks off the 3 point line is the more appropiate tactic...as long as Stat is injured the Knicks don't play that much inside the paint.

I'm pumped for this game. I'd be interested to see how a Tyson/Camby frontcourt matches up with Gasol/Zach....I think Zach/Gasol would have hgue trouble scoring on the length/athleticism and defensive savvy of those two. I hope Woodson gives it a try.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,018

Post#8 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:50 pm

I don't see how the Knicks win this one without JR Smith exploding for 25+ points. Z-bo should abuse Melo on the offensive end since he is playing the 4. On defense, MEM can put Z-bo on Jason Kidd, since he is naturally passive, eliminating a potential liability on D. The Grizz frontcourt has to perform in this game.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by vanjulio » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 pm

thanks for clearing that up Leaguepass - I was thinking the same thing about the Miami NYK game but didnt look it up.

The thing is the Knicks have no possibility to go inside on the Grizzlies. Their only real way of beating us is bombing from outside.

I want to take you back to March 17, 2011 at the FedEx Forum. This was the last time the Knicks beat the Grizzlies: http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... &year=2011

The Knicks went SUPERNOVA shooting 20 of 36 from downtown against the Grizzlies 4 for 12. It was a trouncing. Since the last decade the Knicks have always been weak down low. so if a Toney Douglas (9 for 12 from downtown that night) appears, Grizz will surely lose. Otherwise they can't outgrizz the Grizz. It's only been done once, by the Los Angeles Floppers. I'm saying this without having really watched the Knicks yet this season though! Obviously they got something going. Should be a great game. The Knicks responded with their backs against the wall in SAS. What will the Grizzlies do in that situation tonight?
Leaguepass
Starter

Post#10 » by Leaguepass » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:26 pm

vanjulio wrote:thanks for clearing that up Leaguepass - I was thinking the same thing about the Miami NYK game but didnt look it up.

The thing is the Knicks have no possibility to go inside on the Grizzlies. Their only real way of beating us is bombing from outside.

I want to take you back to March 17, 2011 at the FedEx Forum. This was the last time the Knicks beat the Grizzlies: http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... &year=2011

The Knicks went SUPERNOVA shooting 20 of 36 from downtown against the Grizzlies 4 for 12. It was a trouncing. Since the last decade the Knicks have always been weak down low. so if a Toney Douglas (9 for 12 from downtown that night) appears, Grizz will surely lose. Otherwise they can't outgrizz the Grizz. It's only been done once, by the Los Angeles Floppers. I'm saying this without having really watched the Knicks yet this season though! Obviously they got something going. Should be a great game. The Knicks responded with their backs against the wall in SAS. What will the Grizzlies do in that situation tonight?

You are right about our tendency to shoot from the outside. Knicks still lean on the 3 point shot with the difference that this season our defense has been pretty strong (1st or second rated in the league) and the 3 point shots have come through terrific ball movement (so that they usually were open shots).
That said this one will be tough. With Melo at the 4 we have some slight rebounding issues that Zach could possibly exploit. I'm still thinking we'll see Camby playing a bigger role in this one. He is our best rebounder and a good defender. Wouldn't make much sense leaving him out vs. such a strong frontcourt.
I'm curious to see whether Gasol/Zach can score on Tyson/Camby. The Knicks duo is longer and more athletic as well as experienced. With Camby's rebounding prowess they should keep the battle on the boards even as well. I hope Woodson does it.

Good luck and looking forward to the game.
PeteW
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,568

Post#11 » by PeteW » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:48 pm

vanjulio wrote:thanks for clearing that up Leaguepass - I was thinking the same thing about the Miami NYK game but didnt look it up.

That was played in MSG, the last time knicks beat the grizz in fedex was when Melo hit that game winner over tony allen
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#12 » by NYKBaller » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:58 pm

PeteW wrote:

That was played in MSG, the last time knicks beat the grizz in fedex was when Melo hit that game winner over tony allen

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx194hyjLsI[/youtube]
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
1Hugo7
Senior
And1: 14

Post#13 » by 1Hugo7 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:19 am

PeteW wrote:

Wow i completed forgot about that game. May the best team win. No excuses neither side.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:25 am

I definately get what you're saying leaguepass. The Knicks have been on fire from beyond in this six game they won. I guess where I was coming from is can they keep it up? After all, if you live by the sword, you die by the sword as well. This game will be a good match up tonight. We'll see who endures the best at the end. Good luck and Go Grizz!
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by vanjulio » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:30 am

PeteW wrote:

yikes - good catch!!! 8-) I didn't even read my own link right :oops:

I'm kinda sad the Grizz keep playing NYK up here in the middle of the week. For 3 years in a row I went to see the Grizz in the Madison Square Garden because it was always friday or saturday... that was like 2010 last time I think now. boo. But we got Brooklyn on Sunday this year so I'll be at that game!!! I can't get to new york but on the weekend from rhode island
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by vanjulio » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:20 am

Only in Memphis and the movies.

flagrant 2 by JR smith on the Tony Allen dunk AND1!!!! :o

see you in 2013 new york
manu chao
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#17 » by manu chao » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:09 am

hi guys, knicks fan here.
great game by the grizzlies and a monster gasol at both ends.
didn't like mike woodson's decision to guard some of yr big dogs by carmelo who wants to play big D in road matches. nice effort, yeah, but z-bo and marc are just like the himalaya and the alps.
their high-low is amazing.
plan B would have been giving more minutes to thomas and wallace and probably losing the pace on the floor and some points in the hands as well.
frankly i didn't like some refs calls, but i don't think new york deserved the win somehow: we had to be more focused on the game instead of complaining.
if you get some shooting from downtown, you have a pretty scaring team.

wish you all the best.
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#18 » by darkangle901 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:34 am

As someone said earlier, the key was gonna be to run them off the three-point line, and it seems we did that all night. They shot only 26% from beyond the arc, and J.R. Smith was held scoreless (0-3) from out there.

I believe Hubie Brown made the point that the Knicks just haven't faced a defense like ours yet. I honestly think we've got the best defense in the league, especially if you consider rebounding to be a part of it.

There's still some great teams out West, but I think you have to consider the Grizzlies to be at or near the top, especially with LA trying to find it's identity and OKC trying to figure out how to replace James Harden.

If we can stay healthy, we're a good bet to make it to the Conference Finals and beyond. We're basically the same team we've been, except we've got a bench that is an asset rather than a liability, Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph have figured out how to play together, and we're ranked FIFTH IN 3 POINT PERCENTAGE at 0.393.

And we still haven't seen Darrell Arthur yet. Or Selby's killer jumpshot that we saw in summer league.
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
Leaguepass
Starter

Post#19 » by Leaguepass » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:23 am

Good game guys.....like I said earlier limiting our 3 pointer was a key for your team.

Woodson was definitely wrong guarding Zach and Gasol through Melo. Don't know what he was thinking. Anyways good game see ya in MSG.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#20 » by jman3134 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:40 pm

I thought Melo did about as good of a job as you're going to do on Randolph. Problem was that he kept getting a little too physical with his arm action. He could have played him straight up and Randolph might have opted for more difficult fadeaways. But, Melo got himself into foul trouble locking arms etc. Marc Gasol is difficult to stop anyway you slice it. Rudy Gay didn't have his best game, but he played within the offense and was very effective that way.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies