ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#181 » by Esohny » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:35 am

Turnover_21 wrote:
Tirion wrote:
I think you're wrong and he would be an ideal starter in Adelman's system next to Rubio. Great shooter, smart defender, okay size, can handle the ball and generally a high IQ guard who can do a little of everything, while not hurting the team anywhere.

He obviously outgrown his bench role in Orlando (they started him today).

He doesn't have the size, poor wingspan and athleticism.
He came off the bench all his career in Orlando. They started him today only because Afflalo has to start at SF with Turkeyglu out injured.

Also disagree. Redick is certainly good enough to start, especially on this team where he'd be playing between AK47 and Rubio before too long. I doubt that anyone was complaining about Roy starting at SG, despite not having any knees and no ability to defend his position anymore, and Redick is clearly much better at this point.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#182 » by sisibilio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 pm

At this point i'd probably settle for something minor like Wilson Chandler-Jordan Hamilton and call it a day.
Granted if Roy is able to play in the long run you might have some overcrowded wings but that would be a nice problem to have for a change.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#183 » by Tirion » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:53 am

Stop'n'Pop was at the game:

- Derrick Williams is even more slo-mo in person than he is on TV. I know this sounds impossible but it is true. I went to the game with my dad and he hasn’t been to a pro game since 94 and the first thing he said was “Holy crap, they travel so much.” The second thing he said is “That #7 sure is slow.” Williams doesn’t lope so much as he takes an inordinate amount of time to wind up into his move towards whatever. Sitting 10 rows up from the court it’s beyond noticeable. You can see him being guarded by Mullens. You can see the angle to the lane open up. You can see him notice the angle opening up. You then watch a slow-motion train wreck to the front of the rim where he either misses or has his shot blocked. It’s even worse on defense. Prior to tonight I had thought that Williams has improved on defense. In person his terrible positioning and slo-moness might as well be painted dayglo green. It’s right there. Adelman sees it. Sikma sees it. Glen Taylor sees it. Rick Adelman’s wife sees it. The guy/gal in the upper deck can see it. It’s rough. With a 9 man squad going up against last year’s worst team in the league (and of all time), last year’s #2 pick was benched for long periods of time because he couldn’t play d and he couldn’t score. He was even placed in a situation similar to what he faced last year in Arizona: being guarded by a center. He couldn’t make it work and it wasn’t for reasons that you’d expect could be overcome with craftiness. The game just isn’t there at this level.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#184 » by AQuintus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:18 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia4bW797GLQ&feature=watch-vrec[/youtube]

It's interesting to watch this now knowing what we know about Williams. Outside of his jumpshot, which he completely changed since coming into the pros for whatever reason, his offensive game is pretty much the exact same as it was in college. The biggest difference between now and then is that his dumb "tossup at the rim" inside shots aren't falling against NBA defenders. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same Derrick Williams' patented "mud runs" every time that he tries to drive the ball.

It's really amazing how almost every professional talent evaluator seemed to become completely blinded to the way that Williams' game would translate to the pros when faced with his ridiculous stat sheets. In hindsight, it seems extremely obvious that it would be a struggle for him to adapt.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#185 » by packforfreedom » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:28 am

I just want him out. When he's on the floor, he makes the whole team worse. He's also ruining his trade value with every minute he plays. Trade him now!
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#186 » by Murphs56 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 am

It's really amazing besides the Freak injuries how most of the Timberwolves draft picks have been BUSTS

2005- McCants- BUST
2006- Foye- BUST
2007- Brewer- BUST (good little role player but as a #7 pick?)
2009- Flynn- BUST
2010- Johnson- BUST
2011- Williams- BUST?

You really gotta have some bad luck for that many busts in a 7 year period. Those are players drafted that you expect to be your nucleus and it's been nowhere near the case. In all our years finishing near the bottom of the NBA, we have Love and Rubio to show for it. Pekovic was the one big surprise that not many saw coming. Not to mention, Roy, Chalmers and Lawson did pretty alright for themselves
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Post#187 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Maybe when Luis Scola is tradeable, Phx will trade him for Williams. He'd be a REALLY solid backup to Love and played under Adelman in Houston.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Post#188 » by Calinks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 pm

At least Foye and Brewer are solid role players.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#189 » by Foye » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Maybe when Luis Scola is tradeable, Phx will trade him for Williams. He'd be a REALLY solid backup to Love and played under Adelman in Houston.

We don't need Scola. Cunningham is a perfectly fine backup.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#190 » by Dewey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Murphs56 wrote:It's really amazing besides the Freak injuries how most of the Timberwolves draft picks have been BUSTS

2005- McCants- BUST
2006- Foye- BUST
2007- Brewer- BUST (good little role player but as a #7 pick?)
2009- Flynn- BUST
2010- Johnson- BUST
2011- Williams- BUST?

You really gotta have some bad luck for that many busts in a 7 year period. Those are players drafted that you expect to be your nucleus and it's been nowhere near the case. In all our years finishing near the bottom of the NBA, we have Love and Rubio to show for it. Pekovic was the one big surprise that not many saw coming. Not to mention, Roy, Chalmers and Lawson did pretty alright for themselves

well, my glass is half full ....
KG
Rubio
Love
Pek
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#191 » by NikolaPekovic » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:42 pm

its clear he sucks. but wait until he gets a few alley-oops from rubio. then we will see what gm bites on it.

still too soon to trade him.
Trianoball
Starter
And1: 47

Post#192 » by Trianoball » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Would you guys want Bargnani from the Raptors for Williams and filler?

Not sure Bargnani is exactly what you need, but IMO he would be an upgrade at 6th man on almost any team in the league right now.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#193 » by Mattya » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:27 pm

No interest in Bargs. Doesn't fit what the team needs.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#194 » by Krapinsky » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:46 pm

We couldn't afford to take on Barg's contract anyway. Not if we want to resign Pek, Bud, etc.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#195 » by Basti » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Even when you disregard that albatross of a contract Bargs is not a great fit talent-wise. No thanks.
Trianoball
Starter
And1: 47

Post#196 » by Trianoball » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Haha fair enough.
Dray-Z
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#197 » by Dray-Z » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:12 am

I'd love to have Derrick Williams on the Nets but we've pretty much jettisoned all of our quality assets this last year and a half...

Down to MarShon Brooks, Bogdan Bogdanovic (European stash, viewed fairly favorably by scouts, buyout issues caused him to fall on draft day), and our own first round picks :-(...
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#198 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:00 am

I'm a Jazz fan, and for some reason I still see Derrick Williams becoming a Paul Pierce-like power SF. We're happy with the way Kanter is turning out, but would probably have drafted Williams if he were on that draft board.

I'd move Alec Burks and maybe Marvin Williams for Derrick Williams (if Derrick will play defense), but some people might say I'm nuts.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#199 » by Esohny » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:14 am

Catchall wrote:I'm a Jazz fan, and for some reason I still see Derrick Williams becoming a Paul Pierce-like power SF. We're happy with the way Kanter is turning out, but would probably have drafted Williams if he were on that draft board.

I'd move Alec Burks and maybe Marvin Williams for Derrick Williams (if Derrick will play defense), but some people might say I'm nuts.

What's wrong with Burks this season? He is playing worse than Williams.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#200 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:26 am

Esohny wrote:
Catchall wrote:I'm a Jazz fan, and for some reason I still see Derrick Williams becoming a Paul Pierce-like power SF. We're happy with the way Kanter is turning out, but would probably have drafted Williams if he were on that draft board.

What's wrong with Burks this season? He is playing worse than Williams.

Not sure what the issue is. Burks played well over the summer and in pre-season. Randy Foye got hot and seems to be taking his minutes, but there must be something going on off the court. Burks has been DNP CD for the last 3 games.

Derrick Williams' shooting percentages are low. I'm not sure if that's due to his stroke or shot selection.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves