LAL Gets J.Smith... CHA/BKN/LAL/ATL

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

LAL Gets J.Smith... CHA/BKN/LAL/ATL 

Post#1 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:30 am

Done after December 15th

Atlanta trades:
J.Smith, L.Williams
$18.2m outgoing
for
Diop, Childress, BK #1, POR #1, Rights to Karaman, LAL #2, $10mTPE
$8.3m incoming

Teague / Harris
Stevenson / Morrow / Jenkins
Korver / Childress
Horford / I.Johnson / Tolliver / Scott
Pachullia / Petro / Diop

Atlanta goes into full on tank mode. They shed all their salary past this season, except for Al Horford and the roughly $1.6m they owe to rookies Jenkins and Scott. They gain nearly $10m in instant savings/TPE as well as 2 1st rounders. A top 12 protected PDX #1, an unprotected BK #1 and the rights to a Euro PF in Karaman. They also avoid losing Smith for nothing next summer to a team like Dallas or someone else willing to throw him a big contract.

BK trades:
Humphries, Wallace, Childress, #1, Rights to Karaman
$22.6m outgoing
for
Gasol, MWP
$26.3m incoming

D.Williams / Watson / Taylor
J.Johnson / Brooks / Stackhouse
MWP / Bogans / Shengelia
Gasol / Evans / Teletovic
Lopez / Blatche

Brooklyn continues to add salary and talent. They hope that Gasol can be an appropriate compliment with Lopez and that MWP keeps his head on straight in NYC.

LAL trades:
Gasol, MWP, Jamison, MEM #2, '16 #2
$27.2m outgoing
for
Smith, G.Wallace, Ty.Thomas
$31m incoming

Nash / Blake / Duhon
Bryant / Meeks / Morris
G.Wallace / Ebanks / D.Odom
J.Smith / Clark / Ty Thomas
Howard / Hill / Sacre

The rich continue to get richer with a larger and larger payroll. If they want Smith, it means they would want to resign him and Dwight after this season so the contracts of Wallace and TyThomas seem harmless as it does not look like they would have been players in free agency anyway, especially if the priority is to win now.

CHA trades:
Ty Thomas, Diop, POR #1
$15.4m outgoing
for
Humphries, L.Williams, Jamison, MEM #2
$17.9m incoming

Walker / Sessions / Higgins
L.Williams / Gordon / Henderson
MKG / R.Williams / Taylor
Humphries / Jamison / Warrick
Mullens / Biyombo / Haywood

Charlotte was looking at signing Humphries this summer, so it seems they like him. He would be a nice rebounding compliment to Mullens and expire after next season like Gordon does as they combine for about $25m in expriers. Most importantly shed the contract of Tyrus Thomas who continues to be a massive disappointment. Lou Williams adds some more experience and scoring to the back court. They also add local product Jamison for some mentoring.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Re: LAL Gets J.Smith... CHA/BKN/LAL/ATL 

Post#2 » by Kupchak9 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:55 am

I'd say yes for all teams. Very well done.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#3 » by tiderulz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:57 am

Why does Atlanta do this again? They fully plan on signing him and going after another top FA to go with Smith, Horford and Teague.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:20 am

tiderulz wrote:Why does Atlanta do this again? They fully plan on signing him and going after another top FA to go with Smith, Horford and Teague.

LAL leaked a rumor that they want Smith and to get in his ear. If he knows the team his best friend plays on also has Nash, Kobe and happens to be called the Lakers wants him, he will ask to be traded there. He knows Dwight isn't leaving, nor his Paul so there is no superstar coming to play in Atlanta. In fact with Horford, Williams and resigned smith and Teague there isnt really room for a full max when picks and roster holds are put in place. Looks more like $15m to me depending on Teague.

Regardless once he wants to go there, asks to be traded there and Atlanta says no, things will go south quickly. Smith knows he can always "threaten" to join another top notch franchise like Dallas, get the max and play next to Dirk and others.

I'd say this has about a 50% chance of happening...Smiths request. I really don't think he'll want to stick around, especially if they start losing ..and they haven't looked that good so far this year...well they have, and also bad.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Lin Your Face
Bench Warmer
And1: 48

Post#5 » by Lin Your Face » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:20 am

I think Atlanta could get more and despite the Bobcats strong start I think they should continue to rebuild and not make any moves to get better in the short term.
Take a second to join a fantasy football freeroll to win $1000: http://www.draftstreet.com/l/fr_nfl2013.aspx?pid=118&r=gwater&subid=
Top 100 win cash.

The Supreme Court ruled fantasy sports gambling's legal.DraftStreet's in NY not the Caymans.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 am

Lin Your Face wrote:I think Atlanta could get more and despite the Bobcats strong start I think they should continue to rebuild and not make any moves to get better in the short term.

Charlotte does continue to rebuild. Shedding TT is part of that as is having $25m in expirers next season. Jamison helps the rebuild in that he likely gets involved in the organization and the future (the players).

Again the Charlotte FO offered Hump a 3 year contract just this summer so clearly they think he can be a help to the team. They get him on a shorter deal and get rid of TT and Diop in the process.

A mid to late teens pick aka a Chase Budinger hopefully is not all that important to their rebuild which has been going on and continues now. At some point they need to start winning games. They have. PG, a SF and a couple big men. The youth is there time to make some trades and spend some cap space. They'll still get another good pick this year and have Detroits pick.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#7 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:35 am

diop, childress and some weak picks for smith? cmon now tj

JR : Next Gen
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:49 am

GhostX wrote:diop, childress and some weak picks for smith? cmon now tj

If Smith wants to play with his bf on a team that wants him....which probably isn't too far fetched...he has some leverage to make that happen.

I guess this scenario plays on that

It's not as though the Magic got much more for Dwight and they didn't have to trade him to LA if they didnt want to either.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#9 » by ATL Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:59 am

Trader_Joe wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Why does Atlanta do this again? They fully plan on signing him and going after another top FA to go with Smith, Horford and Teague.

LAL leaked a rumor that they want Smith and to get in his ear. If he knows the team his best friend plays on also has Nash, Kobe and happens to be called the Lakers wants him, he will ask to be traded there. He knows Dwight isn't leaving, nor his Paul so there is no superstar coming to play in Atlanta. In fact with Horford, Williams and resigned smith and Teague there isnt really room for a full max when picks and roster holds are put in place. Looks more like $15m to me depending on Teague.

Regardless once he wants to go there, asks to be traded there and Atlanta says no, things will go south quickly. Smith knows he can always "threaten" to join another top notch franchise like Dallas, get the max and play next to Dirk and others.

I'd say this has about a 50% chance of happening...Smiths request. I really don't think he'll want to stick around, especially if they start losing ..and they haven't looked that good so far this year...well they have, and also bad.

Teague will make roughly 10 mil (at best), Horford is locked in at 12, and Lou at 5, that's 27 mil along with Jenkins' 1 mil would be 28 mil which we'd have in the books; that would leave around 30 mil for us to spend which is more than enough for a max contract.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ATL Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:01 am

Trader_Joe wrote:

If Smith wants to play with his bf on a team that wants him....which probably isn't too far fetched...he has some leverage to make that happen.

It's not as though the Magic got much more for Dwight and they didn't have to trade him to LA if they didnt want to either.

Smith has no leverage to make an LA trade happen, if he wants to go then he can leave in FA, we can just use the cap space to get another player, he won't be able to go to LA without us trading him because of the cap situation. If he and Dwight want to play together Atlanta and maybe Dallas would be the only 2 places, Smith has no leverage

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 am

ATL Boy wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

Smith has no leverage to make an LA trade happen, if he wants to go then he can leave in FA, we can just use the cap space to get another player, he won't be able to go to LA without us trading him because of the cap situation. If he and Dwight want to play together Atlanta and maybe Dallas would be the only 2 places, Smith has no leverage

Yeah agreed. And from he's been saying as of late he and Ferry are on the same page and seems like he would re-sign

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:09 am

ATL BOY what was the thread subject from ur signature lol?

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ATL Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 am

GhostX wrote:ATL BOY what was the thread subject from ur signature lol?

lol it was about a guy asking for girl advice on the off topic board, the comment was too funny to pass up

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 am

ATL Boy wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

Of course he has some leverage, but not all. But Smith is the one that will ultimately decide to stay of leave Atlanta. If anything Atlanta has less leverage as in the past since they can no longer trade him to teams over the tax next summer for the first time.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:21 am

ATL Boy wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

Teague will make roughly 10 mil (at best), Horford is locked in at 12, and Lou at 5, that's 27 mil along with Jenkins' 1 mil would be 28 mil which we'd have in the books; that would leave around 30 mil for us to spend which is more than enough for a max contract.

Why did not count $15m or so for Smith? Is he not part of your plans? Or did you not what us to realize...

Teague
L.Williams
Smith
Horford
+
$15m in free agency

Is not going to be a contending team?
And no, Paul or Howard are not leaving LA, and if they do its mostly likely for Dallas.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#16 » by theatlfan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 am

Very easy pass for ATL. Let's assume that CHAR would deal PORT's protected 1st for L Williams and dumping T Thomas and that we want it... Then why would we add Smoove and 2 other teams to get it? Is it really that one would think that Humphries and his contract add that much value? Once we see that the most valuable piece we acquire in the deal can easily be obtained without the other teams involved, it's Smoove for a late-ish 1st and dumping Thomas. The 1st does nothing and we've got 2 1st next year to dump Thomas. We can do much, much better...
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ATL Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:31 am

Trader_Joe wrote:Why did not count $15m or so for Smith? Is he not part of your plans? Or did you not what us to realize...

Teague
L.Williams
Smith
Horford
+
$15m in free agency

And no, Paul or Howard are not leaving LA, and if they do its mostly likely for Dallas.

I didn't count the 15 mil for Josh because of previous comment in which you assumed that he would leave if we didn't trade him to LA, but why would they want to go the Mavs instead of Atlanta? What would they have in Dallas? 1 more year of Nowitzki? Wouldn't they rather take just a little less to play in Atlanta with Josh Smith and Al Horford forming a big 4?

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:34 am

ATL Boy wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Why did not count $15m or so for Smith? Is he not part of your plans? Or did you not what us to realize...

Teague
L.Williams
Smith
Horford
+
$15m in free agency

I didn't count the 15 mil for Josh because of previous comment in which you assumed that he would leave if we didn't trade him to LA, but why would they want to go the Mavs instead of Atlanta? What would they have in Dallas? 1 more year of Nowitzki? Wouldn't they rather take just a little less to play in Atlanta with Josh Smith and Al Horford forming a big 4?

Neither is leaving LA, so I guess its pointless arguing Atlanta and Dallas.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:39 am

theatlfan wrote:Very easy pass for ATL. Let's assume that CHAR would deal PORT's protected 1st for L Williams and dumping T Thomas and that we want it... Then why would we add Smoove and 2 other teams to get it? Is it really that one would think that Humphries and his contract add that much value? Once we see that the most valuable piece we acquire in the deal can easily be obtained without the other teams involved, it's Smoove for a late-ish 1st and dumping Thomas. The 1st does nothing and we've got 2 1st next year to dump Thomas. We can do much, much better...

What better offers are there? I don't think I've seen many on here.

Again, I think this was a leak by LA for a reason. They want Smith and LA tends to get what they want at a reduced price. If Smith wants to play along, they scare off other suitors who are already weary of his free agency freedom.

Btw, why would Atlanta take on Tythomas with all the work they've done to clear cap space?
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#20 » by Jajwanda » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:42 am

The reason is Paul Millsap. There was a rumor many months ago right after the year ended about Millsap in L.A.

Return to Trades and Transactions