KOTB: CLE|UTH|LAC

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

KOTB: CLE|UTH|LAC 

Post#1 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:01 am

If you believe all teams would accept this trade, vote yes. If you believe otherwise, vote no. Please explain your vote

CLE Get: Paul Millsap

CLE Give: Tristan Thompson, MIA 1st , LAL 1st
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UTH Get: Eric Bledsoe, Lamar Odom, MIA 1st, LAL 1st

UTH Give: Paul Millsap, Raja Bell, Alec Burcs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAC Get: Tristan Thompson, Alec Burks, Raja Bell

LAC Give: Eric Bledsoe, Lamar Odom

Why for CLE?
They get an overall upgraded frontcourt and keep their backcourt in tact in the process while staying young.

Why for UTH?
They get their PG and Favors can finally get starting minutes

Why for LAC?
When you have the best PG in the world playing heavy minutes no need for a stud backup aswell when other positions like SG are lacking depth. They add a young SG in Burcs and a young big in Tristan

Cavs

PG|K.Irving
SG|D.Waiters
SF|CJ.Miles
PF|P.Millsap
C|A.Verejao

6th men: T.Zeller,D.Gibson, A.Gee, O.Casspi, S.Samuels

Jazz

PG|E.Bledsoe
SG|G.Hayward
SF|M.Williams
PF|D.Favors
C|A.Jefferson

6th men: E.Kanter, M.Williams, R.Foye, E.Watson, D.Carrol

Clippers

PG|C.Paul
SG|A.Burcs
SF|C.Butler
PF|B.Griffin
C|D.Jordan

6th men: J.Crawford, C.Billups, W.Green, R.Hollins, G.Hill, M.Barnes, R.Turiaf

JR : Next Gen
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Re: KOTB: CLE|UTH|LAC 

Post#2 » by NashtyNas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:19 am

No. Cleveland is not giving up Thompson and two firsts, albeit late, for an expiring Millsap. I think if they like him, they'd rather take their chance at signing him, they're not giving up that many assets. At best, you could get Walton, Gibson, Casspi (expirings) and the better first of the two for Millsap, Bell and Carroll (to match salaries).

Obviously really good for Utah, but Clippers probably say no too. Bledsoe is important until Paul is retained, plus Billups and Paul are both somewhat injury prone. If Odom doesn't work out, Turiaf, Hill and Barnes can play the few minutes behind Griffin adequately, it won't be a huge issue.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#3 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:12 am

Cavs say no
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:21 am

Id like to hear how Thompson and the 30th pick isnt worth Millsap

BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#5 » by BossHoggin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:03 am

GhostX wrote:Id like to hear how Thompson and the 30th pick isnt worth Millsap

Your trade sucks

At least get the picks right.

KOTB: no
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#6 » by Jajwanda » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:36 am

Millsap isn't even going to be resigned. I don't see how he fetches that kind of value.
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#7 » by N.O.R.E. » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:59 am

Another no.
The Cavs aren't giving up Tristan Thompson for an expiring Millsap.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,568

Post#8 » by Sofia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 pm

No from la
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,475

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Cleveland will have oodles of cap space and are far enough away from a championship with Milsap that sending out Thompson doesn't make sense. Better to wait, try in fa, and keep Thompson (+ the late firsts).

I think its more a directional issue then value.

KOTB no for me based on Cleveland as well.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,343

Post#10 » by jowglenn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:19 pm

If you make it Zeller instead of Thompson, it suddenly all gets quite interesting.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,831

Post#11 » by mcfly1204 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 pm

jowglenn wrote:If you make it Zeller instead of Thompson, it suddenly all gets quite interesting.

The same argument still applies though, why does Cleveland surrender assets for a player on an expiring contract whom they can sign outright over the summer?
Well at least we're not Detroit!
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,343

Post#12 » by jowglenn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:20 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:
jowglenn wrote:If you make it Zeller instead of Thompson, it suddenly all gets quite interesting.

The same argument still applies though, why does Cleveland surrender assets for a player on an expiring contract whom they can sign outright over the summer?

As crazy as it sounds, but let's say this deal happens tomorrow and Millsap plays 70 games for Cleveland and walks...

Those 70 games from Millsap could very well end up being worth more than everything zeller and the MIA/LAL picks ever do in their NBA careers. It's possible.

Furthermore, I'm operating on the assumption that, hey, if Waiters starts to look good, and Thompson is doing well, and Irving is Irving and cements himself as a top 20 player, and Varejao is still tossing down random 30/20 games every few weeks, why exactly couldn't Cleveland make the playoffs right now? You're only 9 games into the season, right? Bam, Millsap helps put things right. He's a top notch guy. He's the most underrated semi-star in the NBA.

I understand they are 2-7 right now, but they have hardly been a pushover team. They're not getting blown out every night.

I would hate to see them waste another of Varejao's remaining years just screwing around while they've got Irving ready to make the leap.

Getting Millsap also absolutely helps you keep him. If he's played with the guys, likes the fit, and can see himself being part of a good growing team with a superstar in Irving, he's more likely to stay.

ON AN UNRELATED NOTE:

Can you actually trade the LAL pick straight up in a trade? Let's take a look at the protections:

2013 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
Cleveland has the right to swap the least favorable of their own 2013 1st round pick, Miami's own 2013 1st round pick (top-10 protected) and Sacramento's own 2013 1st round pick (top-13 protected) with the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick (top-14 protected). If the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick is #1-#14, then the L.A. Lakers' obligation to Cleveland shall be extinguished. [Cleveland-L.A. Lakers, 3/15/2012]

Because right now, Cleveland has the CLE pick, SAC pick (will be protected though, so can't come into play) and the MIA pick. Technically, the LA pick is not the whole pick itself. It's a PICK SWAP. Where Cleveland gives the worst of the cleveland/sac/miami pick, and gets the LAL pick. Of course looking at it right now, it's very clear that that will be the MIA pick going to LAL, and hte LAL pick going to Cleveland.

But legally, can you trade a pick swap? I don't think it can be done so easily. So I think the LAL pick just needs to stay out of all future Cleveland trades.

It certainly cannot be packaged with the Miami pick itself, because that is the pick that should theoretically be sent to LAL. Someone has to send something to LAL as a swap for their 1st rounder, and I don't think you can just pick something else.

Can it be done that the team gets both MIA pick and LAL pick, and then has to send the MIA pick to LAL? What if the next day, lebron, d-wade, and bosh all die in freak gasoline fight accident, and MIA loses most remaining games and finishes terribly, and now the CLE pick is like 13th and the MIA pick is like 10th, but the Jazz are sitting here with the LAL and MIA pick and saying, "I don't want to trade this at all!"

WHAT THEN?
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#13 » by B Mac » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Big no for Cleveland.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#14 » by TheOUTLAW » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Not for the Cavs it doesn't
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:25 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:

Cleveland will have oodles of cap space and are far enough away from a championship with Milsap that sending out Thompson doesn't make sense. Better to wait, try in fa, and keep Thompson (+ the late firsts).

I think its more a directional issue then value.

KOTB no for me based on Cleveland as well.

What? ...Cavs wont sign anyone better than Millsap in FA

Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,476

Post#16 » by Karmaloop » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:29 am

Cleveland says no. I say no to the trade.

Cleveland could theoretically sign Paul Millsap outright next summer if they so chose to. No reason to give up Tristan Thompson and two first round picks to get bird rights.

Return to Trades and Transactions