LAL Gets J.Smith... CHA/BKN/LAL/ATL

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: LAL Gets J.Smith... CHA/BKN/LAL/ATL 

Post#21 » by ATL Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:44 am

Trader_Joe wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Why did not count $15m or so for Smith? Is he not part of your plans? Or did you not what us to realize...

Teague
L.Williams
Smith
Horford
+
$15m in free agency

Is not going to be a contending team?
And no, Paul or Howard are not leaving LA, and if they do its mostly likely for Dallas.

I didn't count the 15 mil for Josh because of previous comment in which you assumed that he would leave if we didn't trade him to LA, but why would they want to go the Mavs instead of Atlanta? What would they have in Dallas? 1 more year of Nowitzki? Wouldn't they rather take just a little less to play in Atlanta with Josh Smith and Al Horford forming a big 4?

Neither is leaving LA, so I guess its pointless arguing Atlanta and Dallas.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/josh-smith-on ... for-months
It’s likewise true, sources said, that the Lakers have had internal discussions for months about pursuing (Josh) Smith, not only for his athletic gifts but also knowing that J-Smoove is one of free agent-to-be Dwight Howard’s closest friends in the game.

The quote shows that LA is unsure of whether or not Dwight will resign and that they're trying to get Smith to ensure Dwight's long term signature
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#22 » by theatlfan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:52 am

Trader_Joe wrote:What better offers are there? I don't think I've seen many on here.

Again, I think this was a leak by LA for a reason. They want Smith and LA tends to get what they want at a reduced price. If Smith wants to play along, they scare off other suitors who are already weary of his free agency freedom.

Btw, why would Atlanta take on Tythomas with all the work they've done to clear cap space?
Why am I scared of LAL? They can't sign Smoove outright; they can't even SNT for him. What's Smoove going to do? Sign for the LT version of the MLE? No, they can give me what I want or they can prove to the masses how much the new CBA nueters a team in the LT - their choice.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#23 » by Jajwanda » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:52 am

That's a reach if there ever was one. So because you want to help make something even more likely, it shows weakness?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,498

Post#24 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:02 am

Horrible for ATL. Also send Lou Williams elsewhere or just keep him. Him, Kemba, and Gordon in the backcourt just isn't going to work.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#25 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:32 am

Trader_Joe wrote:Done after December 15th

EDITED

-L.Williams removed
-M. Brooks to Atlanta
-Childress and #1 back to BK

Atlanta trades:
J.Smith
$13.2m outgoing
for
Diop, M. Brooks POR #1, Rights to Karaman, LAL #2, $5mTPE
$8.3m incoming

Teague / Harris
Brooks / L.Williams / Jenkins
Korver / Stevenson / Morrow
Horford / I.Johnson / Tolliver / Scott
Pachullia / Petro / Diop

Atlanta goes into full on tank mode. They shed all their salary past this season, except for Al Horford and the roughly $1.6m they owe to rookies Jenkins and Scott. They gain nearly $10m in instant savings/TPE as well as 2 1st rounders. A top 12 protected PDX #1, an unprotected BK #1 and the rights to a Euro PF in Karaman. They also avoid losing Smith for nothing next summer to a team like Dallas or someone else willing to throw him a big contract

BK trades:
Humphries, Wallace, M.Brooks Rights to Karaman
$22.6m outgoing
for
Gasol, MWP
$26.3m incoming

D.Williams / Watson / Taylor
J.Johnson / Bogans / Stackhouse
MWP / Childress / Shengelia
Gasol / Evans / Teletovic
Lopez / Blatche

Brooklyn continues to add salary and talent. They hope that Gasol can be an appropriate compliment with Lopez and that MWP keeps his head on straight in NYC.

LAL trades:
Gasol, MWP, Jamison, MEM #2, '16 #2
$27.2m outgoing
for
Smith, G.Wallace, Ty.Thomas
$31m incoming

Nash / Blake / Duhon
Bryant / Meeks / Morris
G.Wallace / Ebanks / D.Odom
J.Smith / Clark / Ty Thomas
Howard / Hill / Sacre

The rich continue to get richer with a larger and larger payroll. If they want Smith, it means they would want to resign him and Dwight after this season so the contracts of Wallace and TyThomas seem harmless as it does not look like they would have been players in free agency anyway, especially if the is to win now.

CHA trades:
Ty Thomas, Diop, POR #1
$15.4m outgoing
for
Humphries, Jamison, MEM #2
$12.9m incoming

Walker / Sessions / Higgins
Gordon / Henderson
MKG / R.Williams / Taylor
Humphries / Jamison / Warrick
Mullens / Biyombo / Haywood

Charlotte was looking at signing Humphries this summer, so it seems they like him. He would be a nice rebounding compliment to Mullens and expire after next season like Gordon does as they combine for about $25m in expriers. Most importantly shed the contract of Tyrus Thomas who continues to be a massive disappointment. Lou Williams adds some more experience and scoring to the back court. They also add local product Jamison for some mentoring.

The Lakers are sucking the value out.
Best I could do was the edited version.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#26 » by Elden Payton » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:43 am

Great trade but the Bobcats politely decline.
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#27 » by theatlfan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:52 am

Comments on the Edit:
Jesus, CHA gets raped. I'm not even a fan of theirs, but... D@mn. A late lotto can only rearrange <$10M of salary? For a team that doesn't really need it rearranged?

Late lotto and Brooks for Smoove? I'd prefer to chance FA with Smoove.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#28 » by ATL Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:17 pm

theatlfan wrote:Late lotto and Brooks for Smoove? I'd prefer to chance FA with Smoove.

If come the trade deadline Smoove wants out (which I don't think he will) or if he starts playing games (like Dwight) then I'd take a lotto and Brooks for Josh. If we traded Josh then we'd also have a lotto pick, maybe we get lucky with one of the picks and end up top 3, even if we don't end up with a top 3 pick then we'd have 2 lotto picks with which to rebuild, we'd also have the Houston pick. we could potentially package the Portland pick or our pick for a potential chance at someone like Nerlens Noel
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Sasaki
Veteran
And1: 781

Post#29 » by Sasaki » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:45 pm

One thing that I think should be thought about is how serious LAL really is about the 2014 FA scenario which a couple sportswriters have speculated about, because these trades pretty much destroy that. I think it's pie in the sky thinking not much better than "Lebron will take vet's min to play in New York and make up the money in endorsements", but it's something that should be considered.
But do you know what they call a fool, who's full of himself and jumps into the path of death because it's cool?
Prokys Nets
Senior
And1: 12

Post#30 » by Prokys Nets » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Very interesting idea, Trader Joe. I was going to post a trade similar with the Nets getting Gasol. I feel like Atlanta would need one young piece to do it, but other than that, pretty good all around deal.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,335

Post#31 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:35 pm

doesnt TEague have a really small cap hold? So couldnt Atl make their other moves official first and sign Teague last after having already worked out a contract but simply not signing it until the other moves are done? Unless I am missing something here that should end any discussion that Atl isnt going to have room to sign Smith and another big FA.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Prokys Nets
Senior
And1: 12

Post#32 » by Prokys Nets » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Done after December 15th

EDITED

-L.Williams removed
-M. Brooks to Atlanta
-Childress and #1 back to BK

Atlanta trades:
J.Smith
$13.2m outgoing
for
Diop, M. Brooks POR #1, Rights to Karaman, LAL #2, $5mTPE
$8.3m incoming

Teague / Harris
Brooks / L.Williams / Jenkins
Korver / Stevenson / Morrow
Horford / I.Johnson / Tolliver / Scott
Pachullia / Petro / Diop

Atlanta goes into full on tank mode. They shed all their salary past this season, except for Al Horford and the roughly $1.6m they owe to rookies Jenkins and Scott. They gain nearly $10m in instant savings/TPE as well as 2 1st rounders. A top 12 protected PDX #1, an unprotected BK #1 and the rights to a Euro PF in Karaman. They also avoid losing Smith for nothing next summer to a team like Dallas or someone else willing to throw him a big contract

BK trades:
Humphries, Wallace, M.Brooks Rights to Karaman
$22.6m outgoing
for
Gasol, MWP
$26.3m incoming

D.Williams / Watson / Taylor
J.Johnson / Bogans / Stackhouse
MWP / Childress / Shengelia
Gasol / Evans / Teletovic
Lopez / Blatche

Brooklyn continues to add salary and talent. They hope that Gasol can be an appropriate compliment with Lopez and that MWP keeps his head on straight in NYC.

LAL trades:
Gasol, MWP, Jamison, MEM #2, '16 #2
$27.2m outgoing
for
Smith, G.Wallace, Ty.Thomas
$31m incoming

Nash / Blake / Duhon
Bryant / Meeks / Morris
G.Wallace / Ebanks / D.Odom
J.Smith / Clark / Ty Thomas
Howard / Hill / Sacre

The rich continue to get richer with a larger and larger payroll. If they want Smith, it means they would want to resign him and Dwight after this season so the contracts of Wallace and TyThomas seem harmless as it does not look like they would have been players in free agency anyway, especially if the is to win now.

CHA trades:
Ty Thomas, Diop, POR #1
$15.4m outgoing
for
Humphries, Jamison, MEM #2
$12.9m incoming

Walker / Sessions / Higgins
Gordon / Henderson
MKG / R.Williams / Taylor
Humphries / Jamison / Warrick
Mullens / Biyombo / Haywood

Charlotte was looking at signing Humphries this summer, so it seems they like him. He would be a nice rebounding compliment to Mullens and expire after next season like Gordon does as they combine for about $25m in expriers. Most importantly shed the contract of Tyrus Thomas who continues to be a massive disappointment. Lou Williams adds some more experience and scoring to the back court. They also add local product Jamison for some mentoring.

The Lakers are sucking the value out.
Best I could do was the edited version.

Again nice idea, but if the Nets are giving up all of that WE better be getting josh smith, and not helping LA to steal him.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Yeah, I'm beginning to think it can't work simply because LA doesn't have enough value. And Atlanta only feels compelled to move Smith if he has made it clear he wants out, with no interest to resign. Brooklyn and Charlotte are certainly not adding more value. The key is getting as much value as possible for Gasol. I saw an Indy fan willing to do granger and west for Gasol. Maybe they should be in there instead of BK.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#34 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Josh Smith can't sign in LA as a free agent, he has no leverage, really there's nowhere for him to go this summer
then again the league is rigged so i'm sure the lakers can get him for crap
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:09 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:Josh Smith can't sign in LA as a free agent, he has no leverage, really there's nowhere for him to go this summer

He has leverage in that he's an unrestricted free agent and Atlanta would have less options this summer wince they can't trade him to a tax paying team. And he could sign with Dallas, NO, Washington, Charlotte, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, Utah and potentially other teams depending on what they do before free agency.

Meanwhile Dwight had the same amount of leverage to go to the Lakers and he still got there.
eliasrapp98
Assistant Coach
And1: 381

Post#36 » by eliasrapp98 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:47 pm

I say yes. It isn't perfect, but it is good enough for it to be realistic.
PG: Russell Westbrook, Reggie Jackson
SG: Andre Roberson, Anthony Morrow, Jeremy Lamb
SF: Kevin Durant, KJ McDaniels, Perry Jones
PF: Serge Ibaka, Nick Collison, Robert Covington
Cc: Al Jefferson, Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins, Mitch McGary
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#37 » by theatlfan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
theatlfan wrote:Late lotto and Brooks for Smoove? I'd prefer to chance FA with Smoove.

If come the trade deadline Smoove wants out (which I don't think he will) or if he starts playing games (like Dwight) then I'd take a lotto and Brooks for Josh. If we traded Josh then we'd also have a lotto pick, maybe we get lucky with one of the picks and end up top 3, even if we don't end up with a top 3 pick then we'd have 2 lotto picks with which to rebuild, we'd also have the Houston pick. we could potentially package the Portland pick or our pick for a potential chance at someone like Nerlens Noel
If Smoove starts demanding out, then yes, his value drops. At this point though, we've really given him everything he's wanted and he seems really happy. The fact is that if I'm dealing a happy (or even if he's just not obviously disgruntled) Smoove, then I want an young talent with the chance to make a impact. I couldn't care less about a lot of rotation players and/or late lottos when discussing Smoove. Historically, late lottos have only a slightly larger chance of sticking on an NBA roster than a 2nd round pick; Brooks has 6th MotY upside, but even that is still a rotation player. Those only have real worth if you're willing to undergo a true rebuilding effort and I'm not sure we're willing to do that.

Honestly, I'd rather get nothing for Smoove and ensure the high pick to get the impact talent eventually over pulling off a deal where we get enough to challenge for an 8th seed.

Trader_Joe wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:Josh Smith can't sign in LA as a free agent, he has no leverage, really there's nowhere for him to go this summer

He has leverage in that he's an unrestricted free agent and Atlanta would have less options this summer wince they can't trade him to a tax paying team. And he could sign with Dallas, NO, Washington, Charlotte, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, Utah and potentially other teams depending on what they do before free agency.

Meanwhile Dwight had the same amount of leverage to go to the Lakers and he still got there.
One thing that has to be understood here: an SNT scenario could be our best scenario regardless of whether Smoove wants to stay or not. At that point, there's no question that the signing team would both want him, have him under contract, and at a salary they're comfortable with. Sure, there could be some teams that could be far enough under the cap that they could sign him without pulling a SNT, but that list is much smaller than you make it out to be if you're listing above is any indication. Not all of those teams currently have the cap room to offer a max or near max deal and I couldn't see some of those teams being of interest to Smoove.

As for the D12 comp, I don't see it. ORL's and ATL's situations are just too different - as is Smoove's and D12's since D12 is a definite max guy. I can see why the parallel would be drawn, but I can't see the actual fit.
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#38 » by parson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:09 pm

For those sure Smith is leaving, here's a little something from the Twitter account of Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld:
Steve Kyler at Hoopsworld wrote: Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA
RT @ if ATL wanted to trade Smith then what players would they want in return? ---> They are not exploring this at all.

10h Steve Kyler Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA
RT @JaySway52: ---> The Hawks stance could change at the trade deadline, but all parties say a new deal this summer is all but assured.

RT @JaySway52: ---> What the Lakers want is immaterial if the other team has no interest in a deal. Hawks are building around Josh Smith

RT @JaySway52: Are the Lakers considering a Josh Smith for Pau Gasol type trade? ---> Hawks have zero interest in a Josh Smith trade

Link = https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA Scan down for it.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:16 pm

parson wrote:For those sure Smith is leaving, here's a little something from the Twitter account of Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld:
Steve Kyler at Hoopsworld wrote: Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA
RT @ if ATL wanted to trade Smith then what players would they want in return? ---> They are not exploring this at all.

RT @JaySway52: ---> The Hawks stance could change at the trade deadline, but all parties say a new deal this summer is all but assured.

RT @JaySway52: ---> What the Lakers want is immaterial if the other team has no interest in a deal. Hawks are building around Josh Smith

RT @JaySway52: Are the Lakers considering a Josh Smith for Pau Gasol type trade? ---> Hawks have zero interest in a Josh Smith trade

Link = https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA Scan down for it.

What is Kyler's connection to the Hawks?
Those are all his tweets.
Are there any Atlanta beat writers that have been passing along info?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:21 pm

theatlfan wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:

If Smoove starts demanding out, then yes, his value drops. At this point though, we've really given him everything he's wanted and he seems really happy. The fact is that if I'm dealing a happy (or even if he's just not obviously disgruntled) Smoove, then I want an young talent with the chance to make a impact. I couldn't care less about a lot of rotation players and/or late lottos when discussing Smoove. Historically, late lottos have only a slightly larger chance of sticking on an NBA roster than a 2nd round pick; Brooks has 6th MotY upside, but even that is still a rotation player. Those only have real worth if you're willing to undergo a true rebuilding effort and I'm not sure we're willing to do that.

Honestly, I'd rather get nothing for Smoove and ensure the high pick to get the impact talent eventually over pulling off a deal where we get enough to challenge for an 8th seed.

Trader_Joe wrote:

One thing that has to be understood here: an SNT scenario could be our best scenario regardless of whether Smoove wants to stay or not. At that point, there's no question that the signing team would both want him, have him under contract, and at a salary they're comfortable with. Sure, there could be some teams that could be far enough under the cap that they could sign him without pulling a SNT, but that list is much smaller than you make it out to be if you're listing above is any indication. Not all of those teams currently have the cap room to offer a max or near max deal and I couldn't see some of those teams being of interest to Smoove.

As for the D12 comp, I don't see it. ORL's and ATL's situations are just too different - as is Smoove's and D12's since D12 is a definite max guy. I can see why the parallel would be drawn, but I can't see the actual fit.

You're not getting any win now pieces..its Brooks, picks and savings. This deal ensures a very good pick.

Also you can sign an trade but your limited to non tax paying teams, and teams that can afford him wont give you anything. Sign and trades don't give that 5th year anymore either.

Return to Trades and Transactions