ImageImageImageImageImage

How did Rondo rack up 20 assists?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Re: How did Rondo rack up 20 assists? 

Post#21 » by Ted Lasso » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:34 am

20 assists. And Rondo enters the paint in 2 of them.

Why don't you guys despise this guy and his fake assists?
Gntts
Junior
And1: 572

Post#22 » by Gntts » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 am

Jakay wrote:You know, to all you laughing at the notion of stat padding, go watch this, and see how loose the definition of an assist is in the NBA at times.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/celtics/ ... -play6.nba

That's Rondo's 20 assists on NBA.com, so the league must be pretty proud of this one. Most of them are pretty legit, but a few of them are total gifts. Pass, pump fake, dribble, jump shot, credited with an assist.

I'm not trying to take away from Rondo here, as a player, he's damned good, but he's not dropping 20 showtime Magic dimes or anything.

I would not count 7 out of those 20. Some of them were just jokes, something like pass, dribbling through the entire court, several fake moves, then shot, etc. ....). You can notice that Rondo was credited fake assists at the very beginning. When he had 10, just several of the rest assists were fake.

I do not understand why NBA needs such a fraudulent promotion of some of the players, teams, etc? If I were Rondo, I would not be proud of such 'assists' and would request to correct the stats. Now, everyone can see in the video that, in a large part, he was credited for nothing.
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#23 » by Spicy P » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:11 am

Jakay wrote:You know, to all you laughing at the notion of stat padding, go watch this, and see how loose the definition of an assist is in the NBA at times.

That's Rondo's 20 assists on NBA.com, so the league must be pretty proud of this one. Most of them are pretty legit, but a few of them are total gifts. Pass, pump fake, dribble, jump shot, credited with an assist.

I'm not trying to take away from Rondo here, as a player, he's damned good, but he's not dropping 20 showtime Magic dimes or anything.

lmao at 1:12. Are you kidding me? That's an assist?
kilpin
Sophomore
And1: 90

Post#24 » by kilpin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 am

SalamiNCheez wrote:

lmao at 1:12. Are you kidding me? That's an assist?

That's simply ridiculous!! :D
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#25 » by sca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Wow, I love Rondo, but some of them are totally fabricated.

He should've had 15 assists or sth. Still pretty good.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
RealSuperfan
Senior
And1: 12

Post#26 » by RealSuperfan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:11 pm

That's nothing new. The majority of assists leaders like CP3 and Rondo get credited with those type of assists quite often. I remember hearing this a few years back with CP3 in New Orleans and it was said that they were even more generous at home.

Yesterday I was watching the boxscore and it seemed as if they gave Rajon an assist for every time he passed the ball to a teammate and they scored, regardless of whether they created their own offense. I just had a quick look at Rondo's split stats and he's averaging 15 assists at home (5 games) and 11.5 on the road (4) thus far. That wasn't the case last year though.There's no denying his ability to pass the ball and find teammates in their sweet spots but I think the stat keepers have been a bit generous. I think they've been eager to credit him with assists due to the whole Stockton record.
Phalosopher
Junior
And1: 11

Post#27 » by Phalosopher » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:48 pm

The inflated assists total by Rondo is Casey's and Raptor's coaching fault and lack of recognition that the dude is not going to shoot so play man to man and don't get razzled dazzled by looking at his movements and stick to your man like a glue! Basically force him to shoot. I know the talent level on this team or lack there of is one we could all agree with, but coaching talent level has also played a huge role here.
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#28 » by Big Shot » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Chandler Bing wrote:20 assists. And Rondo enters the paint in 2 of them.

If Jose did that in a win, everyone would've loved him and given him props. What's your point?
WalterCronkite
Rookie
And1: 106

Post#29 » by WalterCronkite » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Because Rondo is better than our entire starting lineup. He is the best pg in the league imo.
WalterCronkite
Rookie
And1: 106

Post#30 » by WalterCronkite » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:21 pm

fredericklove wrote:I'd like to see him try that on Lowry.

And dido for Lowry. You have to be a huge homer to think Lowry is better than Rondo. Seriously.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#31 » by LLJ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Rondo is at the stage where he's getting John Stockton assists.

Still, he is really, really good as a court general. I'd argue he's a better decision maker than Chris Paul.
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,752

Post#32 » by James_Raptors » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Because he's one of the best point guards in the league. He wasn't being guarded by Kyle. We give up 101.3ppg, etc. There's tons of reasons why/how it happened.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#33 » by JWiLL02 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Chandler Bing wrote:20 assists. And Rondo enters the paint in 2 of them.

The Celtics have awesome offensive sets, he was just executing them most of the time.

He's also not scared to throw the pass if the defender is trailing somewhat close off a curl like Jose is.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
whatamoron
Rookie
And1: 473

Post#34 » by whatamoron » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 pm

It's a Boston scorekeeper's tradition to pad the home team's stats, particularly in baseball and basketball.
The rumour is the player's kick back 1% of their salary to the scorekeepers for the enhanced numbers.
whatamoron
Rookie
And1: 473

Post#35 » by whatamoron » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:09 pm

It's a Boston scorekeeper's tradition to pad the home team's stats, particularly in baseball and basketball.
The rumour is the player's kick back 1% of their salary to the scorekeepers for the enhanced numbers.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#36 » by fredericklove » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:09 pm

How did Jose rack up 18 assists today against Orlando?
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#37 » by Big Shot » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:16 pm

fredericklove wrote:How did Jose rack up 18 assists today against Orlando?

Just happened that whoever received the ball able to score. :)
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#38 » by Left Side Drive » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:16 pm

fredericklove wrote:How did Jose rack up 18 assists today against Orlando?

Calderon must have been watching game film of Rondo before the Magic game. Picked up a few tricks and ended up with a near Rondo like statline :P
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.

Return to Toronto Raptors