ImageImageImageImageImage

Mitch Kupchak's statement on coaching decision (summarized)

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Luxury
Junior
And1: 3

Mitch Kupchak's statement on coaching decision (summarized) 

Post#1 » by Luxury » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:18 pm

For those who missed it.

Also, Mods feel free to merge if necessary.

- Kupchak said the team's chances to win a title this season are better with D'Antoni as the coach than they were with Mike Brown as the coach. Obviously, that belief is why they made the change. "What Mike (D'Antoni's) going to run better suits the team."

- Kupchak said the defensive numbers for D'Antoni's past teams don't support the idea that he couldn't or didn't coach defense, when adjusted for pace of play. Also: "Mike D'Antoni never had Dwight Howard, Metta (World Peace) and another 7-footer (Pau Gasol) in back of (Howard) either." Kupchak went on to explain that Dr. Buss has always preferred an up-tempo, free offense. The triangle wasn't his favorite system as it wasn't up and down, but since the team was winning it was all good. They also had the personnel to support the triangle offense when Jackson installed it, both times.

- Kupchak was asked if Phil gave him a vision of how he'd be able to take the personnel and win with it: "We talked about it … I know the triangle. Obviously I wasn't convinced … We just didn't feel the players we had on this team, the players we brought in would fit the triangle offense as well as what Mike D'Antoni would do. We made huge commitments to players this summer either via free agency or trade, and we just didn't feel the fit was as good as what Mike D'Antoni runs."

Kupchak added that there will be "a lot more opportunities for every player" in D'Antoni's system. You won't see 16 to 19 seconds on the shot clock before getting a shot. There will be more shot attempts, if more turnovers, but Kupchak thinks it's easier to get a guy to run down on offense than it is on D. And guys are more willing to run back on D after the score, generally.

- Can L.A.'s players run with the collective age of the team? Yes, Kupchak said, but he clarified that they aren't asking the players to run sprints from end line to end line. "We do have young speed and savvy players that can play up tempo. We're not talking about run and gun, we're talking about up tempo, and putting the ball in the hands of a guy to do what he does best. (Steve Nash) isn't going to win sprints, but he knows how to control tempo, and our pace of play will be faster and less deliberate.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/features/121113kupchak-addresses-coaching-decision

I was also a Phil supporter, but I do see what the front office envisioned for this team.
"Kobe Bryant.. is the greatest player in our era" -Dwyane Wade
cHeLiosat
Ballboy
And1: 6

Re: Mitch Kupchak's statement on coaching decision (summariz 

Post#2 » by cHeLiosat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:26 am

- Kupchak was asked if Phil gave him a vision of how he'd be able to take the personnel and win with it: "We talked about it … I know the triangle. Obviously I wasn't convinced … We just didn't feel the players we had on this team, the players we brought in would fit the triangle offense as well as what Mike D'Antoni would do. We made huge commitments to players this summer either via free agency or trade, and we just didn't feel the fit was as good as what Mike D'Antoni runs."

rly ? i wonder about that...
frugal
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#3 » by frugal » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:57 am

Luxury wrote:
- Kupchak was asked if Phil gave him a vision of how he'd be able to take the personnel and win with it: "We talked about it … I know the triangle. Obviously I wasn't convinced … "

Mitch wasn't convinced because Dr. Buss would not sign off on what Phil Jackson ultimately wanted...

Everything seemed to be in the making for Jackson to return but things took a turn for the worse when Jackson expressed his desire for final say in personnel decisions. "One source close to negotiations stated that Jackson told Mitch that he wanted to have the option to trade Kobe and just wasn't going to happen."
Lehnny
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Lehnny » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:59 am

frugal wrote:
Luxury wrote:
- Kupchak was asked if Phil gave him a vision of how he'd be able to take the personnel and win with it: "We talked about it … I know the triangle. Obviously I wasn't convinced … "

Mitch wasn't convinced because Dr. Buss would not sign off on what Phil Jackson ultimately wanted...

Everything seemed to be in the making for Jackson to return but things took a turn for the worse when Jackson expressed his desire for final say in personnel decisions. "One source close to negotiations stated that Jackson told Mitch that he wanted to have the option to trade Kobe and just wasn't going to happen."

That part makes no sense. Kobe has a no trade clause and there's no way in hell he'd accept being traded.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,115

Post#5 » by Dr Aki » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:20 am

frugal wrote:
Luxury wrote:

DA FUQ
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#6 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 am

Pretty sure Phil knew Kobe had a "no trade" clause in his contract. Scource has to pulling s*** out his a**
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#7 » by MelosSoreWrist » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:Pretty sure Phil knew Kobe had a "no trade" clause in his contract. Scource has to pulling s*** out his a**

do you think this is a political spin job in an attempt to make the jim Buss look more sympathetic????
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#8 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:31 pm

One more time, it's Jerry who pushed for D'Antoni not Jim.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#9 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:17 pm

I buy all this from Mitch. It's unfortunate there was a misunderstanding between Mitch and Phil, but I can understand how it could happen.

It didn't seem like a totally binary thing- "What? Phil needs to think it over? Let's get someone else!!!" I think they understood Phil's request, but it also ended up giving them more time to consider other candidates, mainly D'Antoni. And then the more Mitch got to considering Dan, the more it made sense to him. Had Phil immediately said, "Let's do this," they just never get to Point B.

It also makes sense that they would contact Phil first just in case, as that is what is not only familiar to the fans but to them as well.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,490

Post#10 » by The Laker Kid » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 pm

There's no way we're gonna trade Black Mamba for a bucket of KFC
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....

Return to Los Angeles Lakers