The Grizzlies have the best record in the NBA...

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

East_Coast
Junior
And1: 8

Re: The Grizzlies have the best record in the NBA... 

Post#101 » by East_Coast » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:36 pm

The Grizz are good enough to win the 'chip this year. Definitely wouldn't be a shock if it happened.

The key is that ZBo seems to be healthy. 17.2/13.9 certainly doesn't suck.
► Old School fan of the best league in the world.
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,340

Post#102 » by marson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:27 pm

In the past 5 years, Ive learned that regular season record means absolutely nothing, ask Dallas, San Antonio, Cleveland, Chicago. Its not a big deal to me anymore.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#103 » by KGboss » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:42 pm

I dont believe they can sustain this all season. They will come back down to the level they played at last season by playoff time. Clippers as well and Milwaukee as well. Bucks are the #2 seed in the east and are playing the most high paced offense in the league. That wont maintain either.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#104 » by Downtown » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Memphis has made very few changes the last two years with their core. They have played together and know each other and now that the last two seasons of injuries are behind them they have it back on track. They sort of remind me of the Pistons from the Billups era. They look in mid season form earlier than most teams.

But I expect other teams to come around and catch up so I think this streak isn't going to last. But if they can stay away from injuries this season there's no reason not to expect them to be in the hunt in the West.

The most significant changes have been to their bench. They brought in Speights when Randolph injured his knee and he's been a keeper. I think Pondexter was brought in in the trade with the Hornets and he's proving to be versatile. And they've tried for a few years with various backups to Conley and it looks early on that Bayless is fitting in and getting the job done, although look what Vasquez is doing in New Orleans since being dealt from Memphis. And Ellington has been a pleasant surprise, finally showing the shooting form that was expected of him when the Wolves drafted him.

That four man bench has provided them with just enough scoring and defence to give the starters enough breaks, although like the past few seasons Memphis really relies heavily on the starters to log big minutes.
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#105 » by mid-post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:51 pm

KGboss wrote:I dont believe they can sustain this all season. They will come back down to the level they played at last season by playoff time. Clippers as well and Milwaukee as well. Bucks are the #2 seed in the east and are playing the most high paced offense in the league. That wont maintain either.

I don't think people are expecting them to go 64-8, but that they can keep playing at a high level against the teams that are playoff squads, or in playoff contention. They're also a better basketball team this year, period. The bench is better and the offensive flow (even with Gay shooting poorly so far) is better.

It's not really a matter of sustaining anything. The Grizz are clearly a tier above the 7-8 seed teams when they're playing well and have played tough basketball against all the teams you expect to be 1-2 seeds. There are plenty of cupcake squads that they just aren't going to lose to anymore like they have in the past, and they've gotten a lot better on the road over the past few seasons too.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#106 » by Prospect Dong » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:39 pm

We'll see. I'd bet on L.A. if they were healthy because Howard immediately nullifies Gasol's impact, at least, and I think it's clear that Nash is superior to Conley. Metta will be disruptive, especially if Gay continues to peddle his mediocre scoring wares and Pau matches up well with Z-Bo. Now, those are just straight 1v1 matchups, so team chemistry will be important and obviously the Grizz have phenomenal team chemistry, but the offensive firepower on L.A. and how well it meshes (as opposed to, say, the 04 Lakers) leaves me doubtful that Memphis will be able to hang with the Lakers once/if they get semi-healthy.

On paper, coming into the season, that Lakers squad is absolutely terrifying. But there are sufficient question marks around their coaching, age and integration, and the grizzlies have been sufficiently impressive to date that I can absolutely see them ending up as another Griz-Spurs type series, with the griz upsetting an ageing contender against the apparent odds. But equally I wouldn't be at all surprised if the lakers do manage to pull it together...

I wouldn't call them a favorite over New York based on a single RS game. Remember, that loss happened because of the 3rd quarter in the Knicks/Grizz game. New York was +3 over the other three quarters in the game but laid an 18-point egg while the Grizz scored 31 in the third quarter. Melo played only 3 minutes in that quarter because of some fouls and a tech, I mean that game was just a RS game. The 72-win Bulls lost to the expansion Raptors, right? So did the WC champ Sonics that year, it happens. I'd still tend to favor the Knicks in a Finals series.

The griz have been the better team than the knicks each of the last two seasons, beat them by double figures a couple of days ago and have a better record against tougher competition. Again, we're talking probabilities not certainties here, but it's hard to see what else the grizzlies could have done to show that they deserve to be favoured over Melo and co.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#107 » by blueNorange » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:43 pm

grizzlies are legit

still don't understand how the ball magically goes to randolph
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Laker at Heart
Junior
And1: 2

Post#108 » by Laker at Heart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm

blueNorange wrote:still don't understand how the ball magically goes to randolph

Gravity
Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 356

Post#109 » by Guy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Laker at Heart wrote:
blueNorange wrote:still don't understand how the ball magically goes to randolph

Gravity

He's a big guy all around and has great rebounding instinct to go along with his natural aggression (someone who isn't afraid to bang down low). That's why he's an amazing rebounder, despite his physical limitations.
Raptors Board

Lord_Zedd wrote:That was the best worst game I've ever seen in a long time.

The Bulls are forever our fathers
Never Wrong
Banned User
And1: 496

Post#110 » by Never Wrong » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:03 pm

mid-post wrote:
KGboss wrote:I dont believe they can sustain this all season. They will come back down to the level they played at last season by playoff time. Clippers as well and Milwaukee as well. Bucks are the #2 seed in the east and are playing the most high paced offense in the league. That wont maintain either.

I don't think people are expecting them to go 64-8, but that they can keep playing at a high level against the teams that are playoff squads, or in playoff contention. They're also a better basketball team this year, period. The bench is better and the offensive flow (even with Gay shooting poorly so far) is better.

It's not really a matter of sustaining anything. The Grizz are clearly a tier above the 7-8 seed teams when they're playing well and have played tough basketball against all the teams you expect to be 1-2 seeds. There are plenty of cupcake squads that they just aren't going to lose to anymore like they have in the past, and they've gotten a lot better on the road over the past few seasons too.

especially since there's more than 72 games in a season
commadoor 64
Starter
And1: 26

Post#111 » by commadoor 64 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Never Wrong wrote:
mid-post wrote:

especially since there's more than 72 games in a season

I think he means games left, right?
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#112 » by LakerFanMan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:55 pm

The Grizz have definitely proven they can play with the big boys. They'll finish the season as a top 4 in the West. The only thing I can really see hurting them in the playoffs is inexperience.
Never Wrong
Banned User
And1: 496

Post#113 » by Never Wrong » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:57 pm

commadoor 64 wrote:
I think he means games left, right?

it'd still be inaccurate
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,239

Post#114 » by sfernald » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:59 pm

[GR] wrote:Memphis' schedule gets a lot easier too:

Nov, 19th VS Denver
Nov, 23th VS LA Lakers
Nov, 26th VS Cleveland
Nov, 28th VS Toronto
Nov, 30th VS Detroit

All at home, and the only tough game is the Lakers.

If the Grizz are anything like the Clippers, better watch out for those cupcake games. For some reason the clippers always come out so latharic against weak teams and then play right at their level. Worry about those more than the big game now whee I know their energy will be high.
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#115 » by Left Side Drive » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:59 pm

LakerFanMan wrote:The Grizz have definitely proven they can play with the big boys. They'll finish the season as a top 4 in the West. The only thing I can really see hurting them in the playoffs is inexperience.

Still the Grizz have 2 years of playoff experience under Hollins. First year they beat 1st seed San Antonio :o then took OKC to 7 games. Last year they took LAC to 7 games as well. That's plenty experience if you ask me. I guess third time is the charm...hopefully :D
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,239

Post#116 » by sfernald » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Eh, nothing Memphis or Clippers have done is really all that surprising based on last season, especially that crazy playoff battle. Out with the old and in with the new. These are two former up and coming teams who have announced their arrival and now are pounding the league. Each team got much better during the offseason. I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon. 50+ wins for each is a certainty depending on injuries.

I don't know much about the bucks but I did see the hornets game and they looked pretty game good. Looks like they are ready to put the beat down on the old aristocracy like the celtics in the east.
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#117 » by LakerFanMan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Left Side Drive wrote:
LakerFanMan wrote:The Grizz have definitely proven they can play with the big boys. They'll finish the season as a top 4 in the West. The only thing I can really see hurting them in the playoffs is inexperience.

Still the Grizz have 2 years of playoff experience under Hollins. First year they beat 1st seed San Antonio :o then took OKC to 7 games. Last year they took LAC to 7 games as well. That's plenty experience if you ask me. I guess third time is the charm...hopefully :D

Yea we'll see. They're dangerous, no doubt.
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#118 » by JWiLL02 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:21 pm

slick_watts wrote:The Grizzlies are good but they are riding some unsustainable shooting percentages from their bench. I expect Pondexter and Bayless to crash down to Earth hard on their 3pt percentages. Neither of them have proven to be close to elite from long range. Ellington might be okay, but not 45% okay. Going into tonight's game, those three have combined for 48.6% 3pt on 9.1 attempts a game. If that continues, Memphis will be close to unbeatable. But it probably won't continue.

Rudy Gay's pushing 30% USG on sub-50% TS which is great for other teams. They kill you on the offensive boards and on turnovers which is nothing new. But I think their bench regresses a little and they will look much more beatable when it does.

Bayless shot 42% from 3 last year on 3.5 attempts per, it was only 31 games but that's a fairly good sample of what he's capable of.

Obviously he won't continue to hit at 50%, but he'll stick around in the low 40s which is still elite.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#119 » by Charsace » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:06 am

The Grizz need Gay to step up his play if they want to win a title. His shooting has been terrible and I can see it hurting them in the playoffs if he shoots this way the whole season.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#120 » by sisibilio » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:11 am

Guy wrote:
Laker at Heart wrote:

Gravity

He's a big guy all around and has great rebounding instinct to go along with his natural aggression (someone who isn't afraid to bang down low). That's why he's an amazing rebounder, despite his physical limitations.

Instinct, aggressiveness and the softest hands in the league. (no homer)
About his "limitations", he can't jump high but having a wide frame and long arms certainly helps.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates

Return to The General Board