Wizards vs Utah Sat 7PM @ the Booth

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Re: Wizards vs Utah Sat 7PM @ the Booth 

Post#141 » by pineappleheadindc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:49 am

miller31time wrote:I think this franchise needs to change absolutely everything. Bring a fresh start to D.C.

I'm talking about changing the name back to Bullets (it's what everyone and their mother wants, anyway), hire a competent GM, hire either a young, up-and-coming coach or one with a good track record (especially in player development), and make what ever player transactions the new GM sees fit (hopefully, that would involve acquiring expiring contracts for Okafor, Ariza and even Nene). Tank for one more season and get a top-3 pick.

Go into next year as the friggin Washington Bullets with Wall, Beal and Noel/Muhammed as our core three players, attempt to make a splash in the free agent market if the price is reasonable and the fit makes sense.

Just get out of this rut because this cannot continue.

You'd think someone who's a big businessman knows when to cut his losses. I don't understand Ted at all.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#142 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:50 am

Way to pull the rug out from under the Bullets argument.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#143 » by miller31time » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:02 am

pineappleheadindc wrote:
miller31time wrote:I think this franchise needs to change absolutely everything. Bring a fresh start to D.C.

I'm talking about changing the name back to Bullets (it's what everyone and their mother wants, anyway), hire a competent GM, hire either a young, up-and-coming coach or one with a good track record (especially in player development), and make what ever player transactions the new GM sees fit (hopefully, that would involve acquiring expiring contracts for Okafor, Ariza and even Nene). Tank for one more season and get a top-3 pick.

Go into next year as the friggin Washington Bullets with Wall, Beal and Noel/Muhammed as our core three players, attempt to make a splash in the free agent market if the price is reasonable and the fit makes sense.

You'd think someone who's a big businessman knows when to cut his losses. I don't understand Ted at all.

I think part of what makes Ted so likable is part of what has made his tenure as Wizards owner so terrible -- he puts too much trust in those around him and will always be willing to hear what their reasoning is for everything that's gone wrong.

Ted seems like a really nice guy and I could very easily see a PR tactician like Ernie say all the right things and weasel his way into a contract extension when any other businessman would have given him the axe long ago.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#144 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:22 am

miller31time wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:

I think part of what makes Ted so likable is part of what has made his tenure as Wizards owner so terrible -- he puts too much trust in those around him and will always be willing to hear what their reasoning is for everything that's gone wrong.

Ted seems like a really nice guy and I could very easily see a PR tactician like Ernie say all the right things and weasel his way into a contract extension when any other businessman would have given him the axe long ago.

I agree with you post 100%
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#145 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:22 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Yeah, the rotations tonight were mind-boggling. Don't know why Webster got no minutes and Beal was limited to 13. I also don't know why Witt sat Vesely in the second half as he was basically having his best game of the year. Although I thought the starting line-up was going to suck tonight, it was the best unit that we had out there tonight. I don't know why Witt did not go back to it at the end. Instead, he stuck with Seraphin who was getting abused on the boards (He had 0 rebounds tonight) and Singleton, who didn't even play until the 4th quarter. It was just bizarre.

However, the bottom line is that this team sucks because of Ernie. It cracks me up when Glenn Consor talks about this team going cold offensively. No, a team goes "cold" once in a while. When a team goes "cold" EVERY night, it is because the team lacks shooters and scorers. The Wiz are not going cold,they are just an offensively inept team, period and Ernie built the team that way.

Yes it was truly bizarre. Ves was having a good game. Crawford has been their best PG since Wall got injured and it is taking forever for them to realize it.

Price puts up decent numbers sometimes but he sucks leading the team. He is the player I least like on the team. It kills me that he is getting so many minutes. So far, he looks like he is better used as a small SG who can help handle the ball some. That is more his mind set then PG.

They should be starting Crawford at PG which is the biggest mistake. He is playing very solid this year and he is their best ball handler, shot creator, and driver. He makes his FTA. Put the ball in his hands, find the hot hand at SG between Beal, Martin and Webster. Honestly, I have no problem with them not starting Beal right now. Kid has a lot of learn. He defends well. He always seems to be focused on that part of his game. Bring him off the bench and let him focus on driving more then shooting from the outside. Get him to the line. We need more FTAs.

Trevor A has been a pleasant surprise. The kid is long. Defends well and is decent at everything else like passing, shooting, fast break. Not great at any of those things be when coupled with his defense, he has proven he should be the starting SF.

Ves should be the starting PF. He is active, tall and has good basketball IQ. And he has upside so give him the burn and let him develop.

Okafor is showing signs of slowing down but he is still solid. If your not leaning on him to be an offensive threat, he can score pretty well when he lets the game come to him.

Booker is a good energy rebounder when he isn't trying to score to much.
Singleton can be useful but he has to get in the flow earlier. You can just bring him in late in the forth. He isn't that kind of player.

My starting line up and rotation would probably be

Crawford/Livingston
Webster/Beal/Price
Trevor A/Martin
Ves/Singleton/Booker
Okafor/Seraphin/Barron

If Kevin is stinking up the joint, bring in Barron. I mean how does a 6-9 275 athetic kid get zero rebounds and zero FTAs. He is playing like a big Psy.

If Martin is clanking, move Webster to SF or give Booker a look there.

Livingston
Beal
Webster
Singleton or Booker
Serpahin or Barron

Randy is making this much harder then it needs to be. Why he insists on playing Price 31 minutes is baffling.
And with Martin sinking the place up tonight, why didn't he try Webster at SG. Martin was shooting the ball short all night. After he was 0-5 from 3 land, sit his ass down. Its not his night.

Randy coached like an idiot. These guy have been in most the games. At what point is it not simply the players but the combination he has our there and how he is running the offense.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#146 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:04 am

Jay81 wrote:is Harrison barnes better than Bradley Beal?

Yes. I really think the board fell into group think with Beal. Barnes was more productive than Beal in college, but as usual we overrate potential, because Beal is 19 and has a nice looking jumper. I think Beal will be a good player, but I would have picked Drummond or Barnes over him.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#147 » by AFM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 am

Danny, my fears about Beal thus far are coming true. In college he DID NOT SHOOT WELL, But his jumper is picture perfect as far as form goes, so we just assumed his poor shooting was an aberration. Unfortunately his FG% thus far has only solidified my concern. It's pretty but it doesn't go in.
I'm going to wait until the end of the year to give a final judgement, but thus far he has not proven to be the knockdown shooter he was billed to be. Even worse, he can't get to the rack, which is a shame since he is an excellent FT shooter. (20 of 21?)
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#148 » by closg00 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:32 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

Yes. I really think the board fell into group think with Beal. Barnes was more productive than Beal in college, but as usual we overrate potential, because Beal is 19 and has a nice looking jumper. I think Beal will be a good player, but I would have picked Drummond or Barnes over him.

There was a board group-think pre-draft in-part because the team so desperately needed a quality offensive player.
There was also group-think against non-Beal players. There were a few guys here who liked Barnes, perhaps one Drummond booster, and a few who would have considered Lamb.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#149 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:59 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

Barnes was certainly not more productive than Beal in college. Moreover, he didn't improve from freshman to sophomore year. Yes, he had a good game the other night. One game. No, that's no reason to think he's "better" than Bradley Beal. Sullinger had an excellent night for the Celts in their last game. Maybe we should have picked him at #3?? Anthony Davis had an off-night the other day; is he a bust?

Did you call for Drummond in the run-up to the draft? If so, then so far he's making that look smart. So far, overall, he's right behind Davis in productivity.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#150 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:20 pm

hands11 wrote:Randy is making this much harder then it needs to be. Why he insists on playing Price 31 minutes is baffling.
And with Martin sinking the place up tonight, why didn't he try Webster at SG. Martin was shooting the ball short all night. After he was 0-5 from 3 land, sit his ass down. Its not his night.

Randy coached like an idiot. These guy have been in most the games. At what point is it not simply the players but the combination he has our there and how he is running the offense.

At no point, Hands. We don't have enough players, nor productive enough players, to win NBA games. The idea that we lost last night because we didn't play Webster is kind of silly. We also lost when we did play Webster.

Price was one of our best performers last night -- I'm no fan of his, but you picked an odd night to be questioning his minutes. OTOH, Crawford, tho he had 8 assists and didn't turn it over much and went 5-5 from the line, didn't really contribute overall. He went 7-18 and in 31 minutes he had only 1 rebound.

Games are won by TS% and ball control. The less you get to the line, the lower your TS%, and we don't get to the line. As to ball control, we are getting out-rebounded pretty regularly.

Last night, Okafor and Ariza did what was expected of them by Ernie. If Nene had been playing, I imagine we'd have won the game. It would have been an example of achieving the kind of barely mediocre level Ernie was aiming for.

However painful, it'd be better to lose until Ernie is finally fired than to have his crappy idea prove out. In any case, that's what's happening and will continue to happen.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User

Post#151 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:25 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

If Beal does end up being a bust, then God help us.

But yeah, it would be nice to draft players that are productive and not just potential.

The thing with potential type players is why draft them when you can usually pick them up latter. They rarely stay on the team that drafted them.

And draft players that have high motors that play the game fearlessly. For all the board hate, Crawford does fit that description. Wall also fits that description. But what you really want are players that have those two think plus a defined skill that you need such as shooting or rebounding. When you use that criteria, that when players like Farried, Crowder, and Lillard start to stand out.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#152 » by tontoz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:16 pm

i knew they would struggle without Wall and Nene but this is getting ridiculous.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
hands11
Banned User

Post#153 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:44 pm

payitforward wrote:
hands11 wrote:Randy is making this much harder then it needs to be. Why he insists on playing Price 31 minutes is baffling.

At no point, Hands. We don't have enough players, nor productive enough players, to win NBA games. The idea that we lost last night because we didn't play Webster is kind of silly. We also lost when we did play Webster.

Price was one of our best performers last night -- I'm no fan of his, but you picked an odd night to be questioning his minutes. OTOH, Crawford, tho he had 8 assists and didn't turn it over much and went 5-5 from the line, didn't really contribute overall. He went 7-18 and in 31 minutes he had only 1 rebound.

Games are won by TS% and ball control. The less you get to the line, the lower your TS%, and we don't get to the line. As to ball control, we are getting out-rebounded pretty regularly.

Last night, Okafor and Ariza did what was expected of them by Ernie. If Nene had been playing, I imagine we'd have won the game. It would have been an example of achieving the kind of barely mediocre level Ernie was aiming for.

However painful, it'd be better to lose until Ernie is finally fired than to have his crappy idea prove out. In any case, that's what's happening and will continue to happen.

While adding Wall and Nene would dramatically change this picture, we don't have them right now and line ups do matter. Will they matter enough to win any one of these games. I can't prove that since it didn't happen but I can see what works and doesn't and I can see the other options available. They have been in most of these games and they had the players available to win at least 40% of them. Their defense is good. That is the one bright spot. That is also the least surprising since the team was mostly build to be good defensively to surround the scoring of Wall and Nene. What they need is offense until they return, getting to the line and someone with the personality and skills to lead them when the offense grinds to a halt. And they need a SG that can hit an open shot and who can drive and get fouled.

I and other could see they needed to add Livingston because Price and Pargo were not enough to lead the team at PG. I could see they needed to play Crawford there more which they have finally started to do and when they do, the team is more productive. Why, because he has all those qualities. He can drive, create, score, get to the line ( more so if the refs would actually call half of fouls that happen to him ) and the personality to lead them. They should have made him the starting PG from game 1 with Wall out. Price should have been backing him up and now that they have Livingston, Price shouldn't even be an option at PG anymore.

I have no problem at all stepping out and saying what I did about Price even though his numbers looked 'ok".
His numbers don't tell the whole story. 2 of his shots and 5 of his 8 pts were scored while playing off the ball with Crawford running the PG. He was playing the SG on offense and defending PG on defense. So is that the player I want at SG ? Personally, I don't have a problem with him playing there some but do it with clarity. He is just one of a group that includes Beal, Martin and Webster. And as I said before, I want that player to be able to hit an open shot, drive and get to the line. He fits one of those. He can hit an open shot. And like I said, 5 of his pts came that way. They should have road that while he was feeling it. But Utah called a time out and I'm not even sure he was in the line up when they came back. If he was, I don't remember seeing them go back to that.

But in order of who I want at SG, I would say Beal and Webster fit the bill the most. Beal is a rookie so I have no problem bringing him off the bench. I also have no problem starting him. But if you aren't starting him, then Webster should be the SG. Price should be back there with Martin. He is a SG who has some handles, not a PG. And while his assists are up this year, he doesn't lead a team. He just doesn't have that nor the personality that the team follows. At best he is Crawford two years ago with less offense. Well we have Crawford two years later who seems to have learned better shot selection. There is no need to play Price at PG. Specially now that they have Livingston. So just looking at what Randy did at SG, how does Webster get zero minutes on a night that Martin is 0-7 from 3 land except of one junk time made 3 with 30 second left in the game.

Beal was off again. Martin was clanking. That leaves two options at SG. Price or Webster and Webster got zero minutes there. That in my view was stupid. The one part of Websters game that is most reliable is his ability to hit and open shot with his feet set. And he has the body and will to drive. And he is 6-7, not 6-1.

Trevor A had a very productive game and played 34 minutes. He could have played more. There was no reason to bring in C Singleton for the 4th quarter after not playing him all game. He came and and got two quick fouls and clobbered on the boards.

Ves also was very active and played well but he was sitting on the bench to close the game. That made no sense. Ves played only 22 minutes. He had 5 rebounds and tipped out a number of other rebounds and had two blocked shots. He was actually scrapping pretty good under the basket. The kid is long and he was playing with good energy. He was +11 which was best on the team.

Oakfor had 14 rebounds. Clearly he needed to be in the game. Specially since Kevin played like ass again. Zero rebounds for Kevin. Kid of starting to make me think he is a soft ass punk. Come on Kevin. You are 275 and young. Play like it.

So yeah, having Wall and Nene would have a big different but so does lining up what you have better in the mean time. The closing line ups made no sense. Randy coached like ass. Price is their third best PG and should be used behind Beal and Webster at the same level as Martin as a SG. Not a starter. Thats line ups and last I checked, who is on the floor and how they are used is a big part of basketball. Specially in close games.

This lose and a few other I can count are Randy failures and that disappoints me since I was a big Randy fan and called for his getting this extension. So far Randy seems to be a good practice development coach, but not a great game time coach. I guess that makes some sense since he has mostly been an assistant. I hope he develops his game time coaching skills better.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#154 » by 80sballboy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Randy has no options. The entire team is garbage. Stay with Vesely? He can't rebound defensively save to tipping the ball. Webster I don't get but everybody loves Cartie and then he can't make a shot. Everybody said make lineup changes so he did. Beal off the bench was the right move. He's not ready to start but he should have played more than 13 minutes. Starting Ves over the terrible Booker was the right move on because of his length. I don't know what has happened to Singleton at the 4. I thought he would be ok, but he's just a tweener. Seraphin is playing like a rookie and his lack of rebounding shows lack of heart on that side of the floor.

He's no Red Auerbach but Red couldn't have done anything with this joke of a team. I knew we would be terrible but never thought we'd miss Nene and John this bad. And there's no way they are good enough to make up a team that will be 2-17 when they return (hopefully).
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#155 » by jivelikenice » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

100%. The concerns about Beak were the following:
1. Height
2. Ability to attack off the dribble
3. His actual shooting % in college
4. Aggressiveness

All of these concerns have been validated. His height is affecting his ability to get off shots. He's no effective driving to the hoop. He has a nice looking shot but it doesn't translate to a high fg% because he just plain misses or doesn't get an easy shots. He's tentative....None of this should be a surprise. We convinced ourselves he was better than he was and blamed his deficiencies on him being a freshman. If he had gone back to college like Perry Jones did, the questions would have arose...He benefited from being young and the sample size not being big enough.....
hands11
Banned User

Post#156 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:11 pm

80sballboy wrote:Randy has no options. The entire team is garbage. Stay with Vesely? He can't rebound defensively save to tipping the ball. Webster I don't get but everybody loves Cartie and then he can't make a shot. Everybody said make lineup changes so he did. Beal off the bench was the right move. He's not ready to start but he should have played more than 13 minutes. Starting Ves over the terrible Booker was the right move on because of his length. I don't know what has happened to Singleton at the 4. I thought he would be ok, but he's just a tweener. Seraphin is playing like a rookie and his lack of rebounding shows lack of heart on that side of the floor.

He's no Red Auerbach but Red couldn't have done anything with this joke of a team. I knew we would be terrible but never thought we'd miss Nene and John this bad. And there's no way they are good enough to make up a team that will be 2-17 when they return (hopefully).

What is more important then getting a rebound is making sure your team gets it and not the other team.

Ves might not do that every night but he was last night. That is why you can't just look at stats. You have to see what is happening on the floor. Ves should have stayed in. He was effective last night. He was also +11 which lead the team. Going to Singleton that late in the game was just stupid.

I still believe in Ves. He has NBA height, athleticism, scrap and IQ. He needs minutes. He is going to get better. His FT shooting is going to improve. Right now it is mostly mental. And he is going to start to hit that mid range. He needs playing time. There is talent there. And they did invest a 6th pick on him. They need to play him like they need to play Beal. Ves is only in his 8th game of his second year. Way to early to call bust. Ves should start. Beal should continue to come off the bench.

Booker is to short and Kevin is so far proving to be to soft. I would start Ves and when Nene returns, they should be the two PFs. Booker should float form SF to Center depending on match ups and line ups.

This should be there line ups and rotation.

Crawford/Livingston/Price
Webster/Beal/Martin/Price
Trevor A/Singleton/Webster
Vesely/Booker/Singleton
Okafor/Kevin/Barron

If they do that, they will start to win some games.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#157 » by DMVleGeND » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:32 pm

hands11 wrote:
DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

If Beal does end up being a bust, then God help us.

But yeah, it would be nice to draft players that are productive and not just potential.

The thing with potential type players is why draft them when you can usually pick them up latter. They rarely stay on the team that drafted them.

And draft players that have high motors that play the game fearlessly. For all the board hate, Crawford does fit that description. Wall also fits that description. But what you really want are players that have those two think plus a defined skill that you need such as shooting or rebounding. When you use that criteria, that when players like Farried, Crowder, and Lillard start to stand out.

The thing about Beal is that even though he's only 19, I don't think his potential is as high as most on this board do due to his lack of freakish size and athletic ability.

My two favorites for our pick, Barnes and Drummond, are playing very well. Barnes is playing up to expectations, and Drummond, a guy that many said would bust, is one of the most productive rookies right now and Pistons fans are screaming for him to start. With Drummond, even though he was raw in terms of offense and feel for the game, people failed to see that he'd have an immediate impact defensively, and is a huge target on offense.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#158 » by LyricalRico » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:41 pm

hands11 wrote:I still believe in Ves. He has NBA height, athleticism, scrap and IQ. He needs minutes. He is going to get better. His FT shooting is going to improve. Right now it is mostly mental. And he is going to start to hit that mid range. He needs playing time. There is talent there.

Well, I think he needs more than just minutes. I think he needs minutes alongside other guys that he can play off of. His numbers in the second half of last season were never great, but when he was with Wall/Nene, he was showing that he could be a valuable member of an NBA team. He's probably hurting the most from those guys being out right now.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#159 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:42 pm

I don't agree with people calling Beal a bust we just 8 games in a lot of rookies have slow start that's to be expected main reason we drafted Beal in to play with wall and wall not here. I will hold off my judgement to we get a healthy Wall and them 2 play together for at least 2 years. Beal game will come on at some point he still learning. Wall going to make the game a lot easier for him. He has shown flashes of what he can do that's a good thing.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
hands11
Banned User

Post#160 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:04 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:I don't agree with people calling Beal a bust we just 8 games in a lot of rookies have slow start that's to be expected main reason we drafted Beal in to play with wall and wall not here. I will hold off my judgement to we get a healthy Wall and them 2 play together for at least 2 years. Beal game will come on at some point he still learning. Wall going to make the game a lot easier for him. He has shown flashes of what he can do that's a good thing.

Same is true of Ves. He was added to run with Wall.

Not even Ernie thought he was a finish product or a half court go to player. He was a long term investment.

Its a team in rebuild with out it best young player who happens to play PG and run the team and its best vet post player.

Not much of what we have see so far is going to matter once Wall and Nene return other then they wasted a lot of time playing Price at PG in the preseason and to start the yea.r . He isn't going to get any minutes at PG once Wall returns and even now with Livingston he shouldn't be getting any because all those minutes should go to Crawford and Livingston at PG until Wall returns.

Return to Washington Wizards