Do the Heat have an unfair advantage over Western teams?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

snowthedirtbub
Junior
And1: 161

Re: Do the Heat have an unfair advantage over Western teams? 

Post#21 » by snowthedirtbub » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:I just don't understand the timing of this thread at all when the Heat just finished a 6 game west coast trip.

In fact, 7 of their 11 games this season have come against Western Conference teams. Go figure.

Maybe its because thats not what this thread is about? It's about do they have an unfair advantage and yes they do. Playing in an easier conference not only helps in getting to the playoffs and seeding but playing inferior competition once in the playoffs.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#22 » by inquisitive » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm

snowthedirtbub wrote:
Tim_Hardawayy wrote:I just don't understand the timing of this thread at all when the Heat just finished a 6 game west coast trip.

In fact, 7 of their 11 games this season have come against Western Conference teams. Go figure.

Maybe its because thats not what this thread is about? It's about do they have an unfair advantage and yes they do. Playing in an easier conference not only helps in getting to the playoffs and seeding but playing inferior competition once in the playoffs.

but if they lose in finals, then it becomes a question of how they were not tested enough....people can spin it anyway they want.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#23 » by EscapoTHB » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:03 pm

The eastern conference playoffs is as good as the western conference playoffs. The Advantage that the Heat have in terms of conference is that in the regular season they get to play more **** bottom feeder teams in the east than teams from the west do. The 8 teams that actually make the playoffs in the East each year are as tough as they come. Plus the style of play is much more physical out east--so even if you are playing an on paper easier team in the first round than the west--you're going to feel it more.
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#24 » by andrewww » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:38 pm

in the east, the only teams with the talent and size to trouble miami are new york and boston, and everyone knows miami isnt losing to a barely .500 team in the first couple of rounds. the path of least resistance is definitely preferable in terms of avoiding injuries, wear and tear, etc.

in the west, 5 teams legitimately have championship aspirations (spurs, grizz, thunder, lakers, clippers) while the other 3 that will likely make the playoffs are well above .500 (not to mention these win-loss records are coming against much better competition overall).

the best team in the league may be from the east, but its not out of the question that the next group of teams are all from the west as an example.
Heat fan06
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#25 » by Heat fan06 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:06 pm

[GR] wrote:Miami might just be a weaker team than last year's.

Funny stuff
Credit to MK
FingerRoll
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#26 » by FingerRoll » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Astounded to see OP's statement about the Eastern Conference playoffs being a "joke" Even more astounded to see a majority of posters agreeing with this.

Why dont you ask LeBron how big of a joke the eastern conference playoffs were, particularly how he was feeling on the flight to BOS before game 6. I'm sure he was all jokes with d wade and them boys.
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,219

Post#27 » by Archerbro » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

they have an "easier" trip to the finals, but we saw in 2012 they beat OKC and in 2011 they got beat by a superior Dallas team.
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#28 » by ndnow » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:49 pm

ROballer wrote:
BadWolf wrote:Dont firget about lat year, Thunder had an easier way to the finals and then Heat destroyed them.

Mavs(defending champs) -Lakers-Spurs easier way than Knicks-Pacers-Celtics?

Seriously ?:roll: :roll:

Spurs were the only good team you listed. The west isn't what it was 5-10 years ago, it's getting pretty weak.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#29 » by Prospect Dong » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:55 pm

The 8 teams that actually make the playoffs in the East each year are as tough as they come

If that were true you'd expect the 8 seeds to have roughly the same records, once you'd adjusted for the relatively weaker opposition on the eastern team's schedule. But you don't see that at all. In fact, once you get past the top couple of teams, the east is, on average, weaker than the equivalently -ranked western teams all the way down.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#30 » by NashtyNas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:10 pm

ROballer wrote:
BadWolf wrote:Dont firget about lat year, Thunder had an easier way to the finals and then Heat destroyed them.

Mavs(defending champs) -Lakers-Spurs easier way than Knicks-Pacers-Celtics?

Seriously ?:roll: :roll:

Yeah, other than the Knicks getting steamrolled, the other 2 were great series vs. the Pacers and C's.
Meanwhile OKC beat everyone out West quite easily, other than the SA series, I don't think there was ever a question whether they'd make it to the Finals (EARLY in the Dallas series, but after deflating them in the first 2 games, it wasn't a question).

OKC definitely had the easier way to the Finals however you'd like to dice it. Maybe they were too good (and came down to earth in the Finals), maybe their competition was off (definitely the case with the Mavs/Lakers) but their series were quick and easy meanwhile Miami nearly got knocked out more than once (and should have been had the ref's not awarded them games vs. the C's).

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Xsy
Analyst
And1: 2,237

Post#31 » by Xsy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm pretty sure every team in the league would rather go Knicks/Pacers/Celtics over Mavericks/Lakers/Spurs.
Jazz on your face.
Ginger Bean
Senior
And1: 222

Post#32 » by Ginger Bean » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Tougher defense in the East. OKC wasn't used to it after rolling through to the finals.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Post#33 » by Jimmy Recard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Of course they have an unfair advantage; they have LeBron and 29 other teams don't.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#34 » by CB-Blazer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:47 pm

When your the defending champs who are often picked to repeat, your schedule is going to be harder regardless of who you play for.

People gun for the teams at the top game in and game out.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#35 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:This idea that you have to somehow "work harder" to beat better teams is ridiculous, because its based on the assumption that teams are only going 80% normally in the playoffs, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Its also dumb reasoning, based on who wins in the Finals. If the West team wins, instead of saying the West team was exhausted, you'd say the superior competition prepared them for any challenge they might face. See how that works?

It is naive to believe that going through the physical challenge of getting through the West does not pre-dispose a team to a greater injury risk.

IMO Heat are at a great advantage because, under the assumption that all contenders, by nature of that term, have a "fair" chance teamwise of winning a seven game series against the best teams. Therefore they only have one coin flip round as opposed to Lakers/Thunder, Spurs, Griz who have that coin flip EVERY round, therefore their odds of winning a ring each are impaired.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
BANGSKi
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#36 » by BANGSKi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:49 pm

I really think if the Heat were in the west TNT and espn would try to play two western conference games on wed, thur, and fri

Sent from my Obama sail foam using Tapatalk 2
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#37 » by Froob » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:51 pm

I love how you guys act like the heat swept the east last playoffs. Knicks look pretty good I'll admit it. Celtics will come around for the playoffs. Bulls with Rose back with be a contender. The east is top heavy they aren't a joke.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Xsy
Analyst
And1: 2,237

Post#38 » by Xsy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:55 pm

Froob wrote:I love how you guys act like the heat swept the east last playoffs. Knicks look pretty good I'll admit it. Celtics will come around for the playoffs. Bulls with Rose back with be a contender. The east is top heavy they aren't a joke.

Bosh, their one serviceable big man, was gone for a good chunk of the playoffs.
Jazz on your face.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,693

Post#39 » by ccvle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 am

I dont believe it. you still have to beat the best team some where along the line to be a champion.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#40 » by Froob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 am

MacheteConfetti wrote:
Froob wrote:I love how you guys act like the heat swept the east last playoffs. Knicks look pretty good I'll admit it. Celtics will come around for the playoffs. Bulls with Rose back with be a contender. The east is top heavy they aren't a joke.

Bosh, their one serviceable big man, was gone for a good chunk of the playoffs.

I believe the heat were in a tie game 7 with about 5 minutes to go. I may be wrong but, I doubt it. And Bosh wasn't the reason the heat won game 6.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater

Return to The General Board