ImageImageImageImageImage

United Fan Base

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

United Fan Base 

Post#1 » by VinBaker6 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Relatively new dude around here (got banned by Celtic Mods for trollin them bout Ray Allen re-signing in the summer lmao).

I don't post often but we as a fan base (including myself) are so player oriented. I can't name a single Raptor Fan I know that is supportive of the team as a whole. I totally get player bashing (Yea, Luigi has been horrible) but when it gets to a guy like DeMar whose been playin great ball, any minor slip-up and we are all calling for his head. I'm not expecting blind homers but it gets outta hand. IMO, the most consistently hated Raptor for the past (almost) decade has been Jose. Yes the dude has faults but you get people that will bash him every single game regardless of how he plays.The guy plays his heart out every night yet fans will always hate him. He never offered him self that money. I remember Ray Allen said in an interview that he hates when fans boo players; no guy goes out there trying to lose. Fans have a right to boo/hate but the Raptor fan base (especially here) is nuts.

I totally get that losing has taken a toll on this fan base but goddammit it even after a win people will hate. We will blindly support JV but consistently hate on Jose/Luigi/DeMar. I don't get it. All the other fans of other teams do not go to the extent we go. The hate is simply crazy.

My point is we need to stop being so damn negative all the time and support the team. The only individual IMO who we should consistently bash is BC (and honestly I get it with Bargs).

JV, I really hope you develop into a star quick, before this fan base turns on you.

Seriously, lets go Raptors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 should be easy games comin up, we need to build some momentum, get at least 2 outta these 3 coming.

S/O to TZ!
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,351

Re: United Fan Base 

Post#2 » by Hero » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:46 pm

My point is we need to stop being so damn negative all the time and support the team. The only individual IMO who we should consistently bash is BC (and honestly I get it with Bargs).

JV, I really hope you develop into a star quick, before this fan base turns on you.

Not everyone is negative. Just go look at GB and the rookie impression thread. You'd think Ross has been as good as Lillard and Jonas as good as Davis. Plenty of blind raptor fans still about .

We need more negativity and to stop putting up with mediocrity like Bargnani etc. BC should have been fired a long time ago. It makes no sense to be irrationally positive about a team that has been plain terrible for years and that has been overpaying players to no end.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#3 » by MEDIC » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:47 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:.....the most consistently hated Raptor for the past (almost) decade has been Jose. Yes the dude has faults but you get people that will bash him every single game regardless of how he plays.

That's not true at all. People got fed up with Jose after Bosh left. Before that, there weren't a lot of issues.

Bargnani by far has been the biggest target.

People are just fed up with things not going our way. Fans want to see a winning team. Things haven't been good around here since VC took us to the playoffs. That's a long, long time ago....
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#4 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Imo, better the hate go on Andrea and Jose than others because it won't bother them. JV is getting the reverse of the what Andrea got on his rookie year. People looked at Andrea as an asset that had to help convince CB to stay and compliment him. For many reasons, the opposite is true, with JV. JV's a rook, so he's gonna have some tough moments, you want to see potential and improvement, but we've been talking like he's a blessing for our D and he hasn't been, he's just shown the potential to be. Right now, it seems like he's giving up a high percentage of looks in the post. He's rebounding well though and he's a great foul shooter. That alone, plus his motor will give him an earned spot in a rotation.
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,044

Post#5 » by FreshyFlames » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:07 pm

MEDIC wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:.....the most consistently hated Raptor for the past (almost) decade has been Jose. Yes the dude has faults but you get people that will bash him every single game regardless of how he plays.

That's not true at all. People got fed up with Jose after Bosh left. Before that, there weren't a lot of issues.

People are just fed up with things not going our way. Fans want to see a winning team. Things haven't been good around here since VC took us to the playoffs. That's a long, long time ago....

Alot of people were fed up with Jose before that.
Raps in 6ix
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#6 » by Indeed » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Jose lost his footstep, otherwise, he can be a good player. Jose is still great in spot up situation, and controlling the temple. But I guess the hate comes from his over dribble more than his defense. The most hated by far is Bargnani, even Sullinger has his offensive rebound against Davis with Bargnani on the bench, some people can claim its on Bargnani (clearly showed in gamelog).

As for Jonas and Ross, they are not as raw as DeRozan and Davis. Jonas already has a close range, while Davis just added that this summer, so our talent level before Jonas and Ross have been really low. We count on Bargnani and Calderon to carry the team (Bargnani the season before, and Calderon last season), so the hate towards them are by far the worst, and at some point towards DeRozan on the previous season. It is hard to blame them when the overall talent is lacking (eg. worst 3 point shooting team, and both Bargnani and Calderon are the best this season, outside of Lowry).
22haytham22
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,265

Post#7 » by 22haytham22 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 am

Were truthful not negative

TreadMilling Since 1995

Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most
But he is definitely not 7 foot
TripleMKE
Sixth Man
And1: 3,342

Post#8 » by TripleMKE » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 am

Hero wrote:

Not everyone is negative. Just go look at GB and the rookie impression thread. You'd think Ross has been as good as Lillard and Jonas as good as Davis. Plenty of blind raptor fans still about .

We need more negativity and to stop putting up with mediocrity like Bargnani etc. BC should have been fired a long time ago. It makes no sense to be irrationally positive about a team that has been plain terrible for years and that has been overpaying players to no end.

:lol:
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,980

Post#9 » by Mack11 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 am

i think we're all united in getting bargs the hell outta here
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#10 » by Dr Octagon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:35 am

triplemke23 wrote:
Hero wrote:

:lol:

It's the truth. :lol:
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#11 » by MEDIC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:58 am

FreshyFlames wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

Alot of people were fed up with Jose before that.

Sure there were. There were the PG controversies.......but it didn't dominate the board like the Bargnani hate did (basically since his rookie year). Andrea was a number 1 pick. Jose was a no-name euroleague FA pickup. The expectation level wasn't the same.

The biggest issue wih Jose over the years has been the contract he was given. If he had been paid appropriately by our GM & given an appropriate role, few people would have an issue with him.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,291

Post#12 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:17 am

I may dislike some players more than others, but I do support them all as a Raptor fan.
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#13 » by Left Side Drive » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:25 am

Mack11 wrote:i think we're all united in getting bargs the hell outta here
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#14 » by Volcano » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:27 am

There's much less DD hate.

Jose hate is uncalled for. His problem is lack of talent/ability. It's the management's fault Jose has a bigger role than he can take. It's the coaches fault for having 2 PG line-ups with Jose in.

Bargnani hate is well deserved. His problem is lack of effort/work ethic. Supporting him would be the same as going against the Raptors.

JVal gets a pass because he's a rookie and will need a few years to develop.
Rejected
Veteran
And1: 2,741

Post#15 » by Rejected » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 am

It looks like we are united around trading Bargnani.
Cory_Trevor
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#16 » by Cory_Trevor » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 am

IMO, I think this team/management would be getting boo'd at home in a few other cities, considering the games they've been in a position to win, but failed to close (Indi & Utah, for example). Even today, they gave up the lead for a short time in the second half (which is really inexcusable against the Magic).

Sure, some people on this board are very critical of some players on this team, but as a whole, I'd say our team is well supported, especially considering how tough the last few years have been.

And if/when people start booing at home games, I'd say it's more a reflection of how fans feel about management's decision making, rather than a specific player/players.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,417

Post#17 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 am

VinBaker6 wrote:
All the other fans of other teams do not go to the extent we go. The hate is simply crazy.

An oft repeated myth with no basis in fact. You would be surprised how other boards see us...I site the recent 'Raps board' thread on the Knicks board as just one example. We are generally regarded as particularly homerish/defensive about our players. It's only people whose bias strays in that direction who find us wanting in the same way.

My own personal experience has not been such as to indicate that criticism is popular even when it is entirely accurate.

'Hate' has become a lazy way of shutting out alternate opinion.

My point is we need to stop being so damn negative all the time and support the team.

I was going to say that it's surprising how often 'we should unite' equates to 'everyone should think like me'.

What is also interesting is the fact that...and this may have changed, I rarely read here anymore, but was certainly true before...is that if you accept the divide of a fanbase into 'haters' and 'homers', it's only the latter who routinely lecture/assume/moderate the others that they have to or should fall in line.

Whereas, from a practical POV, you could very easily argue that our overly apologetic fanbase allows our managements to constantly provide a crap product/no real plan.

I suppose it comes down to a philosophical distinction about where the onus lies in the fan/customer vs. organization/service. I do not feel that we as fans are obligated to think or feel a specific way about our team if we do not feel it is merited. Obviously some people believe we should adopt an orthodox approach, that being a fan is somewhat akin to being a patriot in a time of war.

I even think the latter is a faulty assumption which perpetuates all kinds of wrong. I'm certainly not going to defer my right to think critically because it would make the people who take my money for the service they provide feel better about the situation.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Ditchweed
Starter
And1: 89

Post#18 » by Ditchweed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:07 am

Volcano wrote:Bargnani hate is well deserved. His problem is lack of effort/work ethic. Supporting him would be the same as going against the Raptors.

No it isn't, that is merely your personal opinion. You can personally dislike Bargnani and not want him on the team, so be it, but if there is some kid out there who is a Raptor's fan and is wearing a Bargnani jersey, you can't call them out as going against the Raptors. He/she is actually more of a fan than those that denigrate the players on the team.
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,595

Post#19 » by kyphi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:52 pm

No team has a united fan base; it's a myth.
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#20 » by KnickerBonkerz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:38 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:Relatively new dude around here (got banned by Celtic Mods for trollin them bout Ray Allen re-signing in the summer lmao).

Probably not the best idea to admit you already got banned, guess what happens now?

Anyways pretty much everyone here supports the team IMO, there's no other reason for them to keep watching games and coming here. It's just the GM and horrible players that we can't support. Usually our team is made up of a bunch of great players with a few TRASH scrubs that are overpaid, so as a whole the team is garbage. At least this year we've got Lowry and Derozan that we can be proud of, but Lowry has serious injury problems and I don't see him being part of the team's future.

Return to Toronto Raptors