ImageImageImageImageImage

Demar Derozan - Taking the Next Step?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Demar Derozan - Taking the Next Step? 

Post#1 » by SHFT » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Some people (myself included) were very skeptical about the dollar value of that contract extension, but DD has made some serious strides this year in his game. Granted, he still has a lot to improve on (dribbling, passing, more consistent 3 pointer) but he has made noticeable improvements in his driving ability, mid range game, rebounding and where I used to wince every time he took a 3, if he takes one from the corner, I am ok with it if he is open. All in all, his play has been refreshing and I am really rooting for him to further expand his game.
Scase
General Manager
And1: 6,976

Re: Demar Derozan - Taking the Next Step? 

Post#2 » by Scase » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Agreed. I was pretty vocal about the contract but the kid is doing a good job improving. If he keeps up this same level of improvement byt next year he will have earned the extension.
Props TZ!
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#3 » by RapsFanInVA » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:48 pm

I've been greatly encouraged by his play this season. He looks noticeably better and may end up proving his worth by the end of this contract.
TheFreshPrince
Banned User
And1: 320

Post#4 » by TheFreshPrince » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:50 pm

If he keeps up this progress he's worth every penny, unlike other people.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#5 » by fredericklove » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Impressed with his aggressiveness on the glass, his passing is slowly improving, still want to see him do better on the defensive end. Lowry is better suited for Demar since Lowry opens more space for other guys. It's a good start. It's nice to see at least one of our core guys improved.
joediamond
Banned User
And1: 404

Post#6 » by joediamond » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 pm

I think he's worth the 3.3 million we're paying him this year. Let him prove the 9 million next year.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#7 » by Young_Buc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:17 pm

fredericklove wrote:Impressed with his aggressiveness on the glass, his passing is slowly improving, still want to see him do better on the defensive end. Lowry is better suited for Demar since Lowry opens more space for other guys. It's a good start. It's nice to see at least one of our core guys improved.

He's still frozen out often by Caldy, who can only really run the offence through screen and rolls. Still averaging 19 a game. Stats should pick up with Lowry's return.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,334

Post#8 » by Tha Cynic » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Young_Buc wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Impressed with his aggressiveness on the glass, his passing is slowly improving, still want to see him do better on the defensive end. Lowry is better suited for Demar since Lowry opens more space for other guys. It's a good start. It's nice to see at least one of our core guys improved.

He's still frozen out often by Caldy, who can only really run the offence through screen and rolls. Still averaging 19 a game. Stats should pick up with Lowry's return.

Completely agree. Calderon needs to start realizing that Derozan is the #1 option when Lowry is out.
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Snooch
Banned User
And1: 1,027

Post#9 » by Snooch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:40 pm

did we really need another thread for this?
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,303

Post#10 » by UnderdogRaptors » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:52 pm

Definitely worth it, his all around game is much improved hes not 1 dimensional anymore but he still needs to improve on his D
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,463

Post#11 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:55 pm

I'll wait to see if his jumpshot holds up over a longer sample size. Demar being a legit starting SG basically depends on his jumpshot being consistent. When it's not falling he isn't starting caliber
FreshyFlames
Rookie
And1: 1,039

Post#12 » by FreshyFlames » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 pm

This thread will get locked and the DeMar selling high one won`t.
Raps in 6ix
22haytham22
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,265

Post#13 » by 22haytham22 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 am

Tha Cynic wrote:
Young_Buc wrote:

Completely agree. Calderon needs to start realizing that Derozan is the #1 option when Lowry is out.

Also agree, Calderon pounds the damn ball till the last second and gives it to derozan for a tough shot....or he will completely ignore him and throw the pass inside for Mcguire...expect DD's numbers to go up when Lowry returns

TreadMilling Since 1995

Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most
But he is definitely not 7 foot
Black Milk
Lead Assistant
And1: 987

Post#14 » by Black Milk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:06 am

I really hope so, both for the sake of the Raptors and for the value of the signed jersey I have.
Kidding aside, i'm really loving what i've seen so far this season from him.
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#15 » by HomieOmey » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:25 am

I love what I'm seeing, he's proven to be a very solid starter with room to grow even further. Hopefully he can keep knocking down that jumper.

I still have a hard time imagining where he is going as a player. Other than VC, we have a history of building with guys who aren't exactly easy to build around. DD's average defense and lack of three point shooting leaves us with some holes that aren't going to be easy to fill. We basically need a guy like Paul George or even Granger beside him, but not like those guys grow on trees.
TurboZ
genius-
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#16 » by genius- » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 am

derozan taking the next step? he couldn't have, realgm told me all he did was play in the drew league.
gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Post#17 » by gojoorange » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:02 am

It's actually pretty impressive how good he has gotten at creating space for himself to get a shot off.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#18 » by SkywalkerAC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:12 am

I don't even think it's THAT big a jump, or step, in his game but a fairly natural progression. We saw the real growth last season, trying to be the number one guy, struggling at first and adjusting in the second half of the season. Given his work ethic and a contract season, regressing was pretty much out of the question.

Return to Toronto Raptors