Defense only: Howard vs. Garnett in '08-'12

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Defense only: Howard vs. Garnett in '08-'12 

Post#1 » by ardee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Howard had the better raw numbers obviously but Garnett's plus/minus have remained off the charts. When all is said and done, who would you rather have in the middle if you knew you weren't winning games unless you conceded underneath x points?
colts18
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Re: Defense only: Howard vs. Garnett in '08-'12 

Post#2 » by colts18 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Howard because of the Magic collapse last season without him defensively. The 08 Celtics were still a solid defensive team in the games KG missed.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#3 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Dwight made Hedo and Jameer look like respectable defenders.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#4 » by Laimbeer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:32 pm

I'd like to see that Orlando D with KG in the middle. This is a ridiculous comparison.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#5 » by JordansBulls » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Dwight made Hedo and Jameer look like respectable defenders.

KG did the same for Paul Pierce who wasn't known for defense before that time.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Kobe Bean
Banned User
And1: 59

Post#6 » by Kobe Bean » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:24 am

JordansBulls wrote:

Pierce was still lazy at times, even in the finals

KG made Ray Allen play like Bruce fkn Bowen whenever he's matched up against Kobe, though
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#7 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:03 am

I'm pretty comfortable with saying KG was a more impactful defender whenever he was on the floor. Could hear the argument for Dwight on the basis of health and being able to play bigger minutes.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#8 » by GAME TIME » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:11 am

Howard comfortably.

By the end of his career, Howard will go down in the top 3 best defenders ever.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:25 am

Howard wouldn't even be a top 3 defender in just the 90's^
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,719

Post#10 » by Woodsanity » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:11 am

GAME TIME wrote:Howard comfortably.

By the end of his career, Howard will go down in the top 3 best defenders ever.

Did you start watching the nba in the 2000s? :lol:
Maybe top 10.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
colts18
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Post#11 » by colts18 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:23 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Howard wouldn't even be a top 3 defender in just the 90's^

neither would KG.
kaima
Senior
And1: 21

Post#12 » by kaima » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 pm

JordansBulls wrote:

What happened in Minny?

Mind you, KG doesn't deserve all the blame for mediocre teammates, but he also doesn't deserve all the credit for better teammates/team structure.

Around here KG is seen as Job in Minny and Jesus in Boston. Ridiculous.

Again, the DRTG stat is blaring. Funny how ORTG is proof of Nash as the "offensive GOAT" (beyond parody, or perhaps beneath it) but KG's middling impact on DRTG during his prime and peak go unmentioned in thread after thread by posters who pimp for both players. Political talking points 101.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 546
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#13 » by rrravenred » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Well... if you take Offensive APM for Nash (sorry for the sidebar, Your Honor), the AVERAGE rotation player he worked with (20mpg or more) was running at +0.6. Reasonable, but not outstanding. His peak year for offensive assistance was 2007, with an average +1.5, with the low being (pretty obviously given Amare's absence) the previous year where his teammates were basically neutral on O (slight negative).

Bringing it back to Garnett, his average defensive teammate in 03 was running at just under -1 wheras the following year at +0.5.

Now as always, APM basically works at how well a player fits their role, and each key player will obviously be the player who is the fulcrum of each team role (and therefore the major beneficiary in an APM sense). However, I wouldn't have thought you could infer from that that either player had a world-beating supporting cast.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
kaima
Senior
And1: 21

Post#14 » by kaima » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:05 am

rrravenred wrote:Well... if you take Offensive APM for Nash (sorry for the sidebar, Your Honor), the AVERAGE rotation player he worked with (20mpg or more) was running at +0.6. Reasonable, but not outstanding. His peak year for offensive assistance was 2007, with an average +1.5, with the low being (pretty obviously given Amare's absence) the previous year where his teammates were basically neutral on O (slight negative).

Bringing it back to Garnett, his average defensive teammate in 03 was running at just under -1 wheras the following year at +0.5.

How does any of this undermine the point about this board's hypocrisy over Nash+ORTG versus Garnett-DRTG?

The hypocrisy in evaluation of RealGM's favorites -- Garnett v Nash -- remains.

A very, very curious point coming from people that so often claim to be dispassionately predisposed to those stats, yet only seem interested in them when it supports their favored players.

Either these stats are reliable or they are not, If they aren't -- which I very much agree with -- then much of the meme for Nash around here is automatically undone.

It appears that you're attempting to talk around this issue rather than replying to it.

However, I wouldn't have thought you could infer from that that either player had a world-beating supporting cast.

Speaking of inference, it's rather ironic here since you're the one pretending an argument was made that, simply, wasn't -- if you can find where I said that Garnett had world-beating teammates (for most of his run in Minny) in that post I'll be very impressed.

Logically, if teammates are to blame for Garnett's DRTG troubles, then they should, likewise, be praised when the number moves in the right direction in Boston. Yet that's not the case on RealGM.

However, it does return to the general meme of this board: the teammates are always to blame in regards to any failure -- stat-wise or otherwise -- while any triumph is due to Garnett, "the best defensive player of his generation!!!" or Steve Nash, "offensive G.O.A.T.". So if nothing else, you're staying on point -- as far as general board rhetoric -- while missing it here, willfully or otherwise.

In other words, when it comes time to ignore an inconvenient stat, or at least scapegoat from it -- like Garnett's record with team DRTG while an ostensible alpha -- the teammates are a big deal, yet they are only lucky to have Garnett's (or Nash's) presence when the stat shows something distinctly positive.

Again, the most striking aspect around here is how liberally and subjectively certain stats are thrown around or simply thrown out, depending on whether they support the favored player or rule against him.

That's the point in bringing up teammates in regards to Garnett. I hope I'm understood.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 546
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#15 » by rrravenred » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:42 am

FWIW, I don't think anyone has particularly downplayed the effect of Tom Thibodeau especially at Boston (Pierce and Rondo both reasonably good defenders, as was Perk).

Feel free to label it as special pleading arguments if you like, but I DO think a PG is capable of singlehandedly impacting offense more than a PF/C is capable of singlehandedly impacting defense (a concept SOMEWHAT backed up by a casual reading of APM). It's interesting to look at someone like Mutombo, for example, who helmed some pretty poor defensive squads by Drtg, as well as some fantastic ones. He's a very different type of defender, of course, so it's not a perfect parallel.

W.R.T. the issue of Ortg and Drtg, you can absolutely read that as a blemish on KG's resume and compare it unfavourably with someone like Duncan (who I'd still argue had a more complementary defensive cast and coaching squad with which to work).

Also, if you really want to accuse me directly of hypocrisy, then I suggest you find evidence demonstrating that I have made the strawmannish argument you've put forward. You're taking a very confrontational line here and I was actually trying to bring a bit of light to the subject, rather than just raising the temperature.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?

Return to Player Comparisons