N O/Utah/OKC

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King
And1: 1,324

N O/Utah/OKC 

Post#1 » by LJ4pointplay » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:15 am

Salary implications aside..

N O trades Ryan Anderson, Austin Rivers and/or a protected pick

N O receives Al Jefferson

why: simple.. Al Jefferson is a major upgrade and a great compliment to Anthony Davis

Utah trades: Al Jefferson

Utah Receives: Kevin Martin

why: Utah has way too many bigs right, and Kanter and Favors are the future there. K Mart gives them scoring on the perimeter that they lack.

OKC trades: Kevin Martin

OKC receives: Ryan Anderson, Austin Rivers and/or protected pick from N O

why: K Mart may or may not walk after the season, and Lamb will hopefully fill Martins role long term. Anderson gives them a scoring big and they don't lose out on shooting in the trade. As a plus, they receive a future asset or assets in Rivers and protected pick.

Who says no?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,634

Re: N O/Utah/OKC 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:19 am

I think they all say no. Al isnt likely to resign in NO. This doesnt meet OKC's needs as they try and win right now and Utah is giving up a more valuable player and you arent compensating them in any way. They can get a better return if they move him than this.

If Martin alone gets you AL Jefferson I imagine OKC simply cutting NO out.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King

Post#3 » by LJ4pointplay » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I think they all say no. Al isnt likely to resign in NO. This doesnt meet OKC's needs as they try and win right now and Utah is giving up a more valuable player and you arent compensating them in any way. They can get a better return if they move him than this.

If Martin alone gets you AL Jefferson I imagine OKC simply cutting NO out.

Not so sure that Anderson is a downgrade for them from Martin. But that is a good point regarding cutting NOs out. Jefferson is the superior player to Anderson, but I think Anderson is the better fit as he spreads the floor. I could see OKC preferring Anderson to Jefferson. I also do not think Martin is a bad return for Jefferson. I don't think they will get equal value for Jefferson, and they would be smart to move him (assuming they actually want to build around their young bigs). Utah could use a scoring wing and a PG. I don't think a PG is available via trade. Not so sure a better scoring guard is available than Martin. Also, why don't you think Al would resign with NO? I think he'd be crazy to turn down the chance to form a front line with Davis. Especially if Gordon comes back healthy.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,480

Post#4 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:04 am

Utah may say yes. Think OKC is pretty happy with K-mart and NOH wouldn't give that much of value for an expiring.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#5 » by CAE15 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 am

Why is okc in this? Utah would definitely take rivers and Anderson for Jefferson.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,476

Post#6 » by Jon1798 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 pm

Might possibly be the worst Hornets trade I have seen on this board. And that is saying a LOT.

Ryan Anderson, Austin Rivers, and a first for Al Jefferson?????

The Hornets wouldn't even consider trading any one of those three things for Al Jefferson. Just impressively bad for the Hornets.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King

Post#7 » by LJ4pointplay » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Well, I said and/or a protected first. I haven't seen much of the Hornets this year since their first game, but Rivers looked terrible, and I believe the conventional wisdom is that he somewhat of a bust. I know it is early, but I can't imagine he has much value. Aware that his value could swing dramatically depending on who you ask, I put it the and/or protected first round pick. He can be swapped out for a first, but it would lose some of its protection. Maybe lottery protected, maybe top 20 protected-unsure. Al Jefferson is one of the best offensive big men in the NBA, a solid man-to-man defender, and a very good rebounder. I view him as a significant upgrade over Ryan Anderson.

With that said, maybe I am valuing Ryan Anderson and Rivers too little. Like I said, I have barely seen N.O. this year. Please explain if you think I am. Or do you just not value Al Jefferson very much?
LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King

Post#8 » by LJ4pointplay » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:05 pm

CAE15 wrote:Why is okc in this? Utah would definitely take rivers and Anderson for Jefferson.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I assumed Utah didn't want another PF in exchange for Jefferson, but maybe this is a better approach. Or possibly just Rivers and a protected first rounder for Jefferson. This assumes Jefferson is willing to re-sign with New Orleans.

I know people will say "well Jefferson can just sign with them in the off-season, why give up assets?" This is true, but I feel that teams find it much easier to retain free agents rather than sign them outright. Particularly in the case of max players (although this is not such a case). Still, cases such as the the Nets and Gerald Wallace come to mind.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,476

Post#9 » by Jon1798 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:28 pm

LJ, I am going to apologize. Regardless of how bad I think a trade is, I should definitely give reasoning if I am going to comment.

The big piece you are missing is the Hornets perspective. The Hornets are a very very young, very very talented team. They go:

PG- Vasquez(26), Roberts(26)
SG- Gordon(23), Rivers(20)
Sf- Aminu(22), Miller(22)
PF- Davis(19), Anderson(24)
C- Lopez(24), Smith(26)

Before anything else, even though Jefferson is younger than many may think, him turning 28 in January makes him the oldest Hornet in the two deep. Additionally, and the biggest issue, is that he is an expiring deal. The Hornets have enough cap room this offseason for a max deal. If they want Jefferson, why wouldn't they just sign him during the offseason.

First round picks are gold for the Hornets right now. Ryan Anderson is 8th amongst all PF's in the NBA in PER, and possibly the best offseason addition in the league. He will also have a fantastic shot at 6th man of the year. Again, 24 years old and signed for three more seasons. Austin Rivers a bust??? lol. Austin is 20 years old and has played 7 games. He's also had three different ankle injuries and a sprained finger. He was just picked 10th overall in the draft.

From the Hornets perspective, there is zero chance in hell they would trade any of those three for the rest of this season of Al Jefferson. In fact, there isn't anything the Hornets would trade for Al Jefferson. You need to look for teams more looking to compete this season. The Hornets are looking to make their move next season. A playoff contender would gladly take Jefferson for the stretch run for their non lottery first.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj

Return to Trades and Transactions