When will we see a star player sign with a contender for MLE

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

?

Yes
21%
No
79%

Total votes: 19

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,500

When will we see a star player sign with a contender for MLE 

Post#1 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:19 pm

I want you guys' input on this. When (if ever) are we going to see a player who gets max offers (or close to that) from lottery/treadmill teams, but turns them all down to sign for the MLE (or even the minimum for that matter) with a major contender, sacrificing tens of millions of dollars for the chance to win multiple titles?

I personally have no idea what I'd do if I already had $40M+ to my name (arbitrary number, get over it). Will there ever be that player that thinks they've got enough money for a lifetime and decides he'd rather immortalize himself as one of the most winning players in NBA history?

Is there a current player you could see doing this?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Re: When will we see a star player sign with a contender for 

Post#2 » by giberish » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:24 pm

IMO the only way this happens is if it's a well past his prime star that's still good (and obviously famous). Like Payton and Malone signing with the Lakers.

I could have seen Nash possibly do this, or KG if the Celtics had gone rebuild. They'd still be biased towards teams that could at least give the full MLE over the mini-MLE.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#3 » by Prospect Dong » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Yeah, I think Payton counts. He was traded for Ray Allen, more or less straight up only a few months before he signed for the MLE. While it didn't work out, the bucks wanted to resign him and he would have been offered at least 13-14 million in today's money (relative to the size of the cap back then), though probably not quite the max he was entitled to.

Even based on his play for the lakers I'd say he was worth far-above-average starter money, so more than 10mil. Just because that team fell apart during the finals you shouldn't underrate how much talent they had.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#4 » by NashtyNas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Doesn't Ray Allen count? The C's are no treadmill team, championship contenders themselves, but he left a $10million (or similar) a year offer on the table to sign with the Heat for MUCH cheaper.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#5 » by co_laper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:28 pm

I think Artest should count as this when he signed with Lakers. Artest was incredible with Houston and Sacramento. As a 28 year old, and in his prime, I thought he would have garner something close to the max. Atleast 10 mil a year kind of deal IMO.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#6 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Malone turned down $18M to sign with the Lakers. He even took the minimum so that the Lakers could use the MLE on Payton. I don't think we'll see anything like that again.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#7 » by smith2373 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:47 pm

I_Socrates wrote:Doesn't Ray Allen count? The C's are no treadmill team, championship contenders themselves, but he left a $10million (or similar) a year offer on the table to sign with the Heat for MUCH cheaper.

Ray is not a star player. No one is offering Ray Allen max money. The OP's main point is basically "Will we see a star player turn down a max contract from an average/bad team to go play for the MLE on a contender"
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#8 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:45 pm

You will never see a star player sign for the MLE.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#9 » by Spicy P » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:47 pm

Never, unless they're getting paid under the table
gethigh
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#10 » by gethigh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:53 pm

SalamiNCheez wrote:Never, unless they're getting paid under the table

This. As to which team is most likely to do such a thing, I nominate the Russian with the Nets.

Opulence, he has it
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#11 » by MagicTownBaller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 am

It'd be really weird if Dwight did that to sign in Brooklyn this summer.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#12 » by Young_Star11 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 am

Not that it would ever happen, but what stopped LeBron James from signing for the MLE in Miami (when he gets so much more $ from endorsements)?
Never Wrong
Banned User
And1: 496

Post#13 » by Never Wrong » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:26 am

Young_Star11 wrote:Not that it would ever happen, but what stopped LeBron James from signing for the MLE in Miami (when he gets so much more $ from endorsements)?

His brain I'm assuming
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#14 » by NashtyNas » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:44 am

smith2373 wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:Doesn't Ray Allen count? The C's are no treadmill team, championship contenders themselves, but he left a $10million (or similar) a year offer on the table to sign with the Heat for MUCH cheaper.

Ray is not a star player. No one is offering Ray Allen max money. The OP's main point is basically "Will we see a star player turn down a max contract from an average/bad team to go play for the MLE on a contender"

Just because he wouldn't get max money doesn't mean he's not a 'star.' The man is averaging 13 points in 26 minutes playing with 3 top 10 NBA players.

I would only take about 5-6 shooting guards over Ray TODAY, even at this point in his career. Kobe, Wade, Harden, E.Gordon, P.George (if he's considered an SG) and Ellis are the only clear cut guys you take before Allen. After that, you can make the case for a lot of guys, but not many would do what Ray can at his price on that Heat team.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Stat Padder
Junior
And1: 7

Post#15 » by Stat Padder » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:31 am

I think dwight howard should do this and go to miami. Then lebron wade and bosh should give him some of their money.
I aplogise for my poor english as I a from nigeria :)
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#16 » by NYKBaller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:23 am

Stat Padder wrote:I think dwight howard should do this and go to miami. Then lebron wade and bosh should give him some of their money.

:cry:
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude

Return to The General Board