Alex Poythress dunks against Duke

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

TheMailMan3232
Junior
And1: 7

Alex Poythress dunks against Duke 

Post#1 » by TheMailMan3232 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Where do you see Alex Poythress going in the 2013 draft?

He had 20 pts and 8 rebs last night in a loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... F3q1KkwFFo
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Re: Alex Poythress dunks against Duke 

Post#2 » by boogie-reke » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:41 pm

His defense and him being able to guard 3-4 positions is huge for his draft stock.

top 7 imo.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 pm

boogie-reke wrote:His defense and him being able to guard 3-4 positions is huge for his draft stock.

top 7 imo.

i have him 6 on my big board currently. the major concern i have for him at the next level is his ability to handle and create his own offense as a SF. he does have some range, but putting the ball on the deck he's pretty much just a straight line driver.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#4 » by DirtyDez » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 am

ManualRam wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:His defense and him being able to guard 3-4 positions is huge for his draft stock.

top 7 imo.

i have him 6 on my big board currently. the major concern i have for him at the next level is his ability to handle and create his own offense as a SF. he does have some range, but putting the ball on the deck he's pretty much just a straight line driver.

Who is 1-5?
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#5 » by DirtyDez » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 am

ManualRam wrote:

top 7 imo.

Who is 1-5?
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#6 » by ManualRam » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:13 am

DirtyDez wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

top 7 imo.

Who is 1-5?

shabazz
adams
zeller
t.mitchell
n.noel
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#7 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:04 am

top5

Adams isn't declaring yet.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Fischella wrote:top5

until he says hes coming back, he's in my top 5. he's the best physical specimen in the draft.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#9 » by EB2 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:40 am

ManualRam wrote:

until he says hes coming back, he's in my top 5. he's the best physical specimen in the draft.

Has Pitt played yet this season and if they did, how did Adams look?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:20 am

The Beas Knees wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

Has Pitt played yet this season and if they did, how did Adams look?

they've played 3 times already, all 3 big blowouts. i watched parts of their first game and the entire game vs lehigh. i thought he looked great. first thing that i notice is that he's an immovable force at this level. he's strong, plays physically and looks like he holds his position effortlessly. he's a big defensive presence in the paint, staying tall, showing very good mobility, challenging shots while not breaking defensive integrity. he needs to work on his hedge footwork though. he's very box out conscious as well. always putting his body on a man when he can. i'd like to see him box and go after the ball more, as opposed to holding his box-out.

on offense they don't really run plays for him, but he still works hard to establish position. he sets wide screens and seals the help defender well on penetration. stays active on the o-boards and covers a ton of area when going for rebounds. he's got huge velcro-like hands and catches everything in his vicinity. he seems passive on offense though, scoring the majority of his buckets on garbage plays, oops, dump-offs and putbacks. he looks like he reads the game well, passes the ball and is very unselfish, almost to a fault. instead of just rising up over the defender for a jump hook or forcing the issue in attempt to score, he'd attempt some interior passes, but a couple of them weren't necessary. his FT stroke has looked better than advertised as well.

i think what surprises me the most is how fundamentally sound he is. you'd think that a kid with his level of experience would just play instinctively and rely on his size and athleticism, but he doesn't. he looks coachable, shows patience, appears to be a quick study and looks to be able to think the game through.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#11 » by EB2 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:02 am

ManualRam wrote:
they've played 3 times already, all 3 big blowouts. i watched parts of their first game and the entire game vs lehigh. i thought he looked great. first thing that i notice is that he's an immovable force at this level. he's strong, plays physically and looks like he holds his position effortlessly. he's a big defensive presence in the paint, staying tall, showing very good mobility, challenging shots while not breaking defensive integrity. he needs to work on his hedge footwork though. he's very box out conscious as well. always putting his body on a man when he can. i'd like to see him box and go after the ball more, as opposed to holding his box-out.

on offense they don't really run plays for him, but he still works hard to establish position. he sets wide screens and seals the help defender well on penetration. stays active on the o-boards and covers a ton of area when going for rebounds. he's got huge velcro-like hands and catches everything in his vicinity. he seems passive on offense though, scoring the majority of his buckets on garbage plays, oops, dump-offs and putbacks. he looks like he reads the game well, passes the ball and is very unselfish, almost to a fault. instead of just rising up over the defender for a jump hook or forcing the issue in attempt to score, he'd attempt some interior passes, but a couple of them weren't necessary. his FT stroke has looked better than advertised as well.

i think what surprises me the most is how fundamentally sound he is. you'd think that a kid with his level of experience would just play instinctively and rely on his size and athleticism, but he doesn't. he looks coachable, shows patience, appears to be a quick study and looks to be able to think the game through.

Wow. He sounds like the perfect center. Thanks for the write-up.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#12 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:49 pm

He reminds me kind of Josh Smith or Shawn Marion(better body though), fair?
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:52 am

MagicFan32 wrote:He reminds me kind of Josh Smith or Shawn Marion(better body though), fair?

he's a smarter player than josh smith. maybe he can be a more athletic version of paul millsap. he needs to sustain his energy level though. when he's not involved, i noticed that he has a tendency to float.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#14 » by teamjosh04 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:50 am

Poythress is an easy player to like. At this point, he acts more like a PF. He gets most of his points from being active and more physical than everyone else. He's a big time finisher with a solid nose for the ball. When he starts his offense in the paint, he's very dangerous.

He hasnt made any plays from the perimeter though. Hes kind of like MKG, but his motor isn't tuned up 100% of the time. Coach Cal has yanked him out of the game already for not hustling back on defense. Just typical freshmen things.

His biggest asset atm is his defense. He has the ideal body type to defend just about any position on the court and his potential is great, Putting him in the top 7 is too much for me now, Id like to see how his perimeter skills come along this year, but there is no doubt he will be a solid player.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#15 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:05 am

He reminds me a LOT of fresh Luol Deng at Duke.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#16 » by MemphisX » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:32 pm

In the new small ball NBA, he is going to be a good get to play at forward.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#17 » by MagicFan32 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:15 am

He seems like the new aged 4 which there are two versions of, you are either a stretch 4 in todays league, or you are insanely athletic but smaller than what the typical NBA PF used to be
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#18 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:44 pm

This guy's going to get compared to MKG a thousand times this year. He even kind of looks like MKG. He'll be in the mix for top 5
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#19 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Also this guy looks like the player everyone writes in for the perfect fit for the Cavs pick in the top 5 for months, then on draft night they'll take Tony Mitchell (projected 10+ and considered not in the mix for top 5 by then because of his school) and everyone will be like omg
TheMailMan3232
Junior
And1: 7

Post#20 » by TheMailMan3232 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:29 am

3 straight games of 20 points.. We see if he continues to be aggressive.

Return to NBA Draft