ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Remember, that's a seven footer out there.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,883

Re: PG: Remember, that's a seven footer out there. 

Post#161 » by Tacoma » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:34 am

MEDIC wrote:
dagger wrote:Sometimes it's like reading 1960s editions of Pravda when the topic of Bargnani comes up and his detractors can't even muster a vague complement for a good game. Ya, I'm open to trading him for value, to align PF with the rest of our younger lineup, and providing the incoming talent is real value and contributes to our offence. But it's really mind- blowing how petty people are. Five boards is what they focus on, never mentioning two blocks, or two steals, solid positional D most of the game or a beautiful and very important assist in crunch time, nor a pair of key baskets that helped take a tie out to a 12-point lead in the fourth quarter.

Holly McKenzie, like a lot of media, have been very critical of him, and justifiably so, but this is what she wrote today.

This was a much better game for him. When he was in, we were generally the better team by a good margin. He hasn't had enough of these games, that's a legit criticism, but have the intellectual honesty to admit he had a good one today.

The problem is dagger, it was a "good game for him". The reason it was a good game for him was because he actually tried. Do you think he'll show this same effort for the rest of the season? Do you think he'll do what's needed to improve his scoring efficiency?

I've generally been a Bargnani supporter over the years, but at 27 years old & this being his 7th season......the guy should know what it means to be a professional professional by now. That means showing up for the season in shape & bringing his "A game" night in & night out.

Sometimes it's like reading 1960s editions of Pravda when the topic of Bargnani comes up and all you read is how great everything is and may god help you if you say what's really happening.

So, never mind that it took him 19 shots to get his 17 points; never mind that it took him 40 min to get his 5 rebounds. Just giving effort is good enough to call it a good game for Bargnani. Set the bar low enough and you'll be fine.

It's like a kid in remedial class. If he can put together a coherent sentence, then you say that-a-boy, that was excellent, young man. That's all I'm expecting out of him at this point. Baby steps.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#162 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:41 am

timdunkit wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clECklo9bbI[/youtube]

I have no idea what game you guys where watching but Andrea was actually pretty good defensively. Even though his shot wasn't falling, he was more active offensively rather then standing at the 3pt line all day. He roll to the basket more often, he moved around in that mid range area, setting screens for the wing players and he was trying to get to the rim.

The only criticism I had was that he should have passed the ball more when he was driving since his teammates could have had better looks.

I agree that Bargnani should improve as a playmaker, but it probably takes some practice time, otherwise, you will see big increase in turnover.

As for defense, it was Calderon who either over helped, didn't cut off driving lane after switch, or got stuck in pick but not guarding anyone. Even McGuire got blamed on failing to rotate for him when his man (Affalo) sets the pick for Nelson.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#163 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:44 am

MEDIC wrote:
Undefeated wrote:
MEDIC wrote:The guy shot .368, took some questionable shots & had 5 rebounds in 40 minutes.

His FG% is a bit deceiving this game. By no means did he shot the ball well, but there were at least 3 gimme layups that he came up short when he drove to basket in the first quarter. Had he made those 3 layups his FG% would've been 50%. The defense and rebounding otoh...

Whose fault was it that he missed the "gimme layups"? I understand that you are saying that he was "trying" to do the right thing, but still.......

A guy misses 3 easy shots, shot .368 & had 5 rebounds & yet......he had a good game according to a lot of us. That's just how low the bar has been set. For players that are actually consistently good, if they miss "at least 3 easy shots" & shoot .368, generally it would be stated that they didn't have a very good game.

I'd cut Bargnani some slack if he'd been rolling prior to this game, but he's had a brutal start to the season.

There was at least one that should be a foul (if not two). But we get back the offensive rebound, and I suppose it is by design (plays to allow Bargnani to shoot). Not something I agree with, because you should not rely on offensive rebound, and good shot selection is still needed. Also, he was playing back to back.
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#164 » by Phenomenologist » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:58 am

Undefeated wrote:
MEDIC wrote:The guy shot .368, took some questionable shots & had 5 rebounds in 40 minutes.

His FG% is a bit deceiving this game. By no means did he shot the ball well, but there were at least 3 gimme layups that he came up short when he drove to basket in the first quarter. Had he made those 3 layups his FG% would've been 50%. The defense and rebounding otoh...

And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon. Alas...
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#165 » by Hero » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 am

Undefeated wrote:

7-19 and 5 rebounds is a good game for a starting power forward now :lol:
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#166 » by JV4MVP » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:13 am

Amir and Linas aren't getting enough love. They saved the game when momentum seemed to be shifting in the 3rd.

DD and Jose were very solid as well obviously.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,216

Post#167 » by Scase » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 am

Hero wrote:
Undefeated wrote:

Not just any PF.....our PF :lol: :lol:
Props TZ!
Indeed
RealGM

Post#168 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 am

Regression2u wrote:Amir and Linas aren't getting enough love. They saved the game when momentum seemed to be shifting in the 3rd.

DD and Jose were very solid as well obviously.

I believe they were getting more attention. Amir for sure, they were guarding tighter on the pick and roll, where Nelson did a good job not allowing the pick to be used.

Meanwhile, Kleiza wasn't involved in those plays, but his existence for spreading the floor helped a lot. Because of his shootings, the roller got more space in the paint.
Pass it
Rookie
And1: 883

Post#169 » by Pass it » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:42 am

nicholason and harkless for bargnani get er done
theycallmeZZ
Starter
And1: 2,363

Post#170 » by theycallmeZZ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:53 am

Amir was a beast and saved the game. The guy is pure energy, makes up for the energy that Bargs saps away.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,729

Post#171 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:59 am

I gotta say Kleiza has been surprisingly effective.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,259

Post#172 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:00 am

Scrubnani lays another turd.

I didn't watch the game, but impressive assist total from Jose. Were they "fake assists" or was he actually playing well?
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#173 » by lucky777s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:03 am

It seemed obvious from the start that ORL did not have the firepower to hang with the Raps over 48 minutes.

But surprisingly it took 27 points from Kleiza and Amir, and a heroic 43 minutes from Jose to put away a team that may finish bottom 3 in the East by season's end.

This is the type of team we can handle. Bottom of the barrel. And at least we did not blow it, which was starting to look like a real possibility in the 3rd Q.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#174 » by Death Knight » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:10 am

Hero wrote:
Undefeated wrote:

Nope. Just this team.
rfan
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#175 » by rfan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:10 am

Bargnani is useless, not only his defense and rebounding is crap. His only redeeming quality "good offense" had been lacking so far this season. He should be getting no more than 20minutes this season, while guys like Kleiza/Amir should get extended minutes. Imagine if Kleiza hadnt injured himself that goddamn preseason in his first season of raptors.. He would be easily leading this squad to victory over Craptnani.
thebigv
Senior
And1: 30

Post#176 » by thebigv » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm

amir
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#177 » by Alfred » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:Scrubnani lays another turd.

I didn't watch the game, but impressive assist total from Jose. Were they "fake assists" or was he actually playing well?

No, he actually played quite well.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#178 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Alfred wrote:
UssjTrunks wrote:Scrubnani lays another turd.

No, he actually played quite well.

Some of his lobs are amazing.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,156

Post#179 » by djsunyc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:45 pm

i thought the two biggest possessions were right after a time out, bargs hit 2 jumpers in a row to bump the lead.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#180 » by sanity » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Bargnani's play is always deceiving. Deceivingly terrible, because shooting 30 some odd percent and not commanding double teams eliminates the idea that he spaces the floor or contributes anything positive on offense anyways

Return to Toronto Raptors