ImageImageImageImageImage

This game is proof we need Amare to win a championship

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Re: This game is proof we need Amare to win a championship 

Post#121 » by fdr2012 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Amare hate is ridiculous. We're talking about one of the best offensive PFs in the league. He's going to add a lot to this team.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#122 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 am

Our last sight of Amar'e he shot an efficient 8-11, engaged in defence (not entirely effectively), and stayed in the box on offence unless asked to be the screener in the pick and roll offence. It isn't exactly fair to say that he is useless at this point.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#123 » by jstudabaka » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 am

The return of Felton should help Amare a great deal. They were a sweet PnR combo.
KnickMan
Pro Prospect
And1: 204

Post#124 » by KnickMan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 am

The Amare hate is ridiculous in this thread but I am shocked that more posters have not brought up the fact that we need a healthy and in shape Camby as well. I guess we have seen so little of him this year that we forgot just why we signed in the first place (he did show some signs today). It was for post AND perimeter defense; rebounding (both defensive and offensive) and blocking shots. All things that would be critical in a match up a team like the Grizz. A healthy Amare and Camby (along with Shumbert), if Woodson can get everyone on the same page, will make us TRULY elite. We have will have the pieces to match up with just about any team, big or small.
"Tier 1 Asset Accumulation"
http://www.greatfinancialoptions.com
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Post#125 » by GONYK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 am

KnickMan wrote:The Amare hate is ridiculous in this thread but I am shocked that more posters have not brought up the fact that we need a healthy and in shape Camby as well. I guess we have seen so little of him this year that we forgot just why we signed in the first place (he did show some signs today). It was for post AND perimeter defense; rebounding (both defensive and offensive) and blocking shots. All things that would be critical in a match up a team like the Grizz. A healthy Amare and Camby (along with Shumbert), if Woodson can get everyone on the same page, will make us TRULY elite. We have will have the pieces to match up with just about any team, big or small.

Camby provides no perimeter defense. He rarely leaves the paint on D at this point in his career.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#126 » by moocow007 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Odd thing is that Stoudemire was NEVER a good defender and yet now the common chirp from people is that he wouldn't make the Knicks better (and would make them worse) because he can't defend.

Once that's been digested a lil bit and sanity returns, Stoudemire worth to the Knicks is the same as it was when they signed him with the apparent thought, even back then, of pairing him with Carmelo Anthony...as a bonafide 2nd offensive option...as someone that would make opposing teams pay for doubling (and tripling) their no.1 option.

The question is CAN HE do that (be an offensive force NOT a defensive presence) still. NO ONE knows whether he can or not (again offensive force NOT defensive presence) so the doom and gloomers and their diametrically opposed cousins are arguing much about nothing.
knicksnation1
Senior
And1: 10

Post#127 » by knicksnation1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:59 pm

fdr2012 wrote:Amare hate is ridiculous. We're talking about one of the best offensive PFs in the league. He's going to add a lot to this team.

I dont hate Amare but I genuinely think he only gets good looks under Dantoni's system, where all he needs to do is scoring and scoring more pionts. When we're talking about building a Championship contender this year We bring the high expectations on Amare to be one of the better all-around pfs in the league. Unfortunately at this stage of Amare's career I just don't see it happen.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,159

Post#128 » by aggo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:18 pm

moocow007 wrote:Odd thing is that Stoudemire was NEVER a good defender and yet now the common chirp from people is that he wouldn't make the Knicks better (and would make them worse) because he can't defend.

Once that's been digested a lil bit and sanity returns, Stoudemire worth to the Knicks is the same as it was when they signed him with the apparent thought, even back then, of pairing him with Carmelo Anthony...as a bonafide 2nd offensive option...as someone that would make opposing teams pay for doubling (and tripling) their no.1 option.

The question is CAN HE do that (be an offensive force NOT a defensive presence) still. NO ONE knows whether he can or not (again offensive force NOT defensive presence) so the doom and gloomers and their diametrically opposed cousins are arguing much about nothing.

you can hide guys on defense

boozer gets hidden every night, and they are a great defensive team still.

The thing that makes me confident that Amare can and will help us is his jumpshooting ability combined with his interior scoring off feeds and low postups.

We can run with teams, we can play with guys in the 100s (as we've shown the last 2-3 games prior to IND) but those take herculean efforts from our bench and christmas-threes from guys like Kidd.

That kind of production isn't going to happen every time we need it to. There are going to be games, like the SA one, where Parker is told to push the ball up and make quick decisions. When the pace is up, no matter how good our defense is, we still need to be able to score more points at the end of the day to win the game.

I'm convinced that Amare can be that piece, that guy who can provide us with 6-10pts int he paint off feeds, putbacks, and finishing. Then you mix in more from his faceup and jumpshooting.

There are going to be teams that we play that wont run and gun us like SA and to an extent MEM did, because we can match firepower with firepower when Amare comes back.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#129 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Thibbs was hiding Boozer on the bench.

There was quite a few 4th quarters of no Boozer.

Sent from my Asus TR700T-B1-GR using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
aggo
RealGM

Post#130 » by aggo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Thibbs was hiding Boozer on the bench.

why cant we do the same?
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#131 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:31 pm

AggO wrote:

why cant we do the same?

If you believe amare can help, why would you want him benched?

R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
aggo
RealGM

Post#132 » by aggo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
AggO wrote:

why cant we do the same?

If you believe amare can help, why would you want him benched?

those things are not mutually inclusive
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#133 » by SuperflyKnick » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Having Amare in there with 4 defensive players shud ease the pain many of you have of amare... Do u really think if he sucks that much on defense and doesnt show effort woodson wud keep him in the lineup. This is woodson not M toni
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#134 » by blumatic » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:17 pm

The thing is, Amare has always had the physical gifts to be a good defender. Boozer doesnt. He is an undersized power forward with no athleticism. He is slow and short.

Amare was a top 10 in block shots in 2010-2011. Doesnt say much for our perimeter defense but when they came in he would meet them there.

Amare should be a good defender under Woody. STAT is very coachable.

Amare is much like JR Smith. The athleticism, the talent, the scoring ability. There was no coach or group of teammates that demanded so much from their players in the Suns or Nuggets.

Is it a shame that these guys are not self motivated and self initiated. Absolutely. But credit management for understanding that and cure that by surrounding Amare. Melo, and JR with accomplished defensive players.

But STAT should come off the bench for like 15 to 20 games or so.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 4,996

Post#135 » by R-DAWG » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Amare's interesting because if the Knicks are going to make a big run they likely need both Anthony or Stoudemire playing at a high level. In football terms, can you take a good but not great QB (Felton) and team him with great wide receivers (Stoudemire, Anthony, Chandler, Smith, Novak) and have a high powered offense.

It could work if Stoudemire stays healthy and adapts his game to fit in. I don't think defense is the issue as you can hide Amare playing with Chandler (or Camby/Sheed) and Melo being good (and in Melo's case) willing defenders. I wouldn't trade Amare unless I believed we were getting a better player or package of players that made the team better.
D-BE-LAW
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#136 » by D-BE-LAW » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:04 pm

Amare wont save you against zach randolph, chris bosh, mark gasol.... Hell he can't even stop andrea bargnani. You guys wont win a championship. Hop back on the treadmill.
makeitstop
General Manager
And1: 2,274

Post#137 » by makeitstop » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14 pm

D-BE-LAW wrote:Amare wont save you against zach randolph, chris bosh, mark gasol.... Hell he can't even stop andrea bargnani. You guys wont win a championship. Hop back on the treadmill.

Who are you?
'Every night ending in 'Y' is a rock fight when you're playing the New York Knicks.' - World Wide Wob
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#138 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Random poster upset that the Knicks are good apparently, makeitstop.
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#139 » by Little Italia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:42 pm

BAN HIM!!!!!

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 4,996

Post#140 » by R-DAWG » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:42 pm

D-BE-LAW wrote:Amare wont save you against zach randolph, chris bosh, mark gasol.... Hell he can't even stop andrea bargnani. You guys wont win a championship. Hop back on the treadmill.

but what Amare does is 2 fold, 1-he's a body so Melo doesn't have to guard a bigger player the whole game which should keep him out of foul trouble and 2- he's another scorer which will help, especially if Melo gets in foul trouble.

Return to New York Knicks