The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread 

Post#1341 » by boogie-reke » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:38 pm

I would have to say, btw - that as far as defensive wings go the best i've seen is Jeff Taylor.

Granted it was more limited minutes (Although he's getting more and more as time moves on) - but this kid is probably the best Wing defender in this class.

If he can show he can shoot the NBA 3 like he did the collage 3 last year, Charlotte got a massive massive steal imo, Battier esque. This kid has lockdown top 5 wing defender in the league potential.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#1342 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Terrence Ross also deserves mention as a terrific perimeter defender, but nah he's too good for Dwane Casey's tastes apparently.
Read on Twitter
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#1343 » by EvanZ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:16 pm

boogie-reke wrote:I would have to say, btw - that as far as defensive wings go the best i've seen is Jeff Taylor.

I said this at the time of the draft that MKG and JT are going to be the best perimeter defensive tandem in the league in a few years.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
j_angel
Analyst
And1: 366

Post#1344 » by j_angel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:53 pm

First double-double for Sullinger last night.
12 points (5 of 8 shooting), 11 boards (4 offensive) and a steal in 26mins, no turnovers also.

He was also close to the last option on offense so he didnt get many touches. Made a few 15 foot jumpers and some nice post moves.

I know was against a weak team. But he looked a lot better than JV (could just be respective teams talent though).

Hoping he gets a chance to impress tonight against Detroit. Their frontcourt will be a good test for him.

In all seriousness if he didn't have a red flag and was more athletic could have seen him being a top 3 pick.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#1345 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:07 pm

A top 3 pick?

Dude could have been a lottery pick without the red flags, but saying he is a top 3 talent from this draft is crazy. Celtics got a steal, but come on.
j_angel
Analyst

Post#1346 » by j_angel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Lotto pick as he is now.
If we was a lot more athletic he would have been a top 3 pick. But hes not so he wasn't,
CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Post#1347 » by CBB_Fan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:A top 3 pick?

Dude could have been a lottery pick without the red flags, but saying he is a top 3 talent from this draft is crazy. Celtics got a steal, but come on.

Well, he did include "more athletic." It is totally reasonable to say Sullinger would be top 3 with elite athleticism. Then again, once we start adding things like that, most players would be lotto talent.
j_angel
Analyst

Post#1348 » by j_angel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:57 pm

I do agree. Not good to speculate and say if this player was better at X he would be this good.
But was just saying he is so unathletic (compared to other players in the league) that even if he had average nba atheleticism he would have been taken a lot higher.

He is very talented offensively and can rebound, plus he has a very high basketball IQ (both Rondo & KG have said this).

Excited to see how he plays tonight.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,498

Post#1349 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:59 pm

EvanZ wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:I would have to say, btw - that as far as defensive wings go the best i've seen is Jeff Taylor.

I said this at the time of the draft that MKG and JT are going to be the best perimeter defensive tandem in the league in a few years.

MKG has been nothing short of fantastic (I didn't even dream he'd be this good so soon) but I haven't seen enough consistency from Taylor to put him in the discussion. He's looked pretty decent so far but I think he's thinking too much on the court and hesitating as a result, particularly on offense, but it's happened a few times on D as well.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
SaiCLE
Rookie
And1: 215

Post#1350 » by SaiCLE » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:03 am

I know it's just 10 games and that I have been one of waiters supporters, But the guy looks like sh*t right now. He is glued to the 3 point line all game, It seems like he does not even care about playing in the offense anymore... All in all it's not looking too good for the Cavalier FO, If Dion does not pan out Grant and Scott will be fired....

End of rant :-?
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#1351 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 am

SaiCLE wrote:I know it's just 10 games and that I have been one of waiters supporters, But the guy looks like sh*t right now. He is glued to the 3 point line all game, It seems like he does not even care about playing in the offense anymore... All in all it's not looking too good for the Cavalier FO, If Dion does not pan out Grant and Scott will be fired....

i actually like Waiters, he looks like he'll be everything Stuckey was suppose to be but isn't. However , i still don't understand how you don't go with Barnes? Problem is both Waiters and Irving need the ball in their hands to be peak effective.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#1352 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:15 am

Drummond doing very well on KG. 3 straight times he shut him down in the post.
JungleCat022
Junior
And1: 64

Post#1353 » by JungleCat022 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:24 am

SaiCLE wrote:I know it's just 10 games and that I have been one of waiters supporters, But the guy looks like sh*t right now. He is glued to the 3 point line all game, It seems like he does not even care about playing in the offense anymore... All in all it's not looking too good for the Cavalier FO, If Dion does not pan out Grant and Scott will be fired....

I agree he does need to go away from the 3 pointers, but he's been shooting decently so far. My issue is his finishing at the rim, he can get wherever he wants on the floor but he has struggled finished his layups.
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#1354 » by Cro_Ruption » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:36 am

another solid game from lillard.
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,953

Post#1355 » by Blazing_royale » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:36 am

SaiCLE wrote:
Blazing_royale wrote:@

3-16 last game
4-16 today

5-16 next game

Most of the layups he missed should have been fouls, like the last play when kaman slugged him in the face. He started attacking when he realized his jumper wasn't falling. He'll get better *Shrug

He finished the game with 16 points, 4 rebounds, 3 asts, 2 stls.

2-13 waiters

next game 5-16
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,589

Post#1356 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:27 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:

i actually like Waiters, he looks like he'll be everything Stuckey was suppose to be but isn't. However , i still don't understand how you don't go with Barnes? Problem is both Waiters and Irving need the ball in their hands to be peak effective.

The thing the Cavs needed the most was someone else who can dribble, slash, pass, and score, besides Irving. The last thing they needed was someone to shoot mid range jumpers.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#1357 » by NaturalThunder » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:29 am

ManualRam wrote:
Sik Infant wrote:It's crazy to think that Gilchrist is most probably the best defender in a draft involving Davis...

not really. MKG was more physically ready to defend his position. davis is still a 220 lb PF, who's also playing some C.

also, check these numbers out.

overall PPP against- .94
FG% against- 44%
%scored against- 40.9%

overall PPP against- .85
FG% against- 35.4%
%scored against- 37.2%

one of them is MKG. the other is ....harrison barnes
it's early, but im just saying.

I watched 90% of Barnes' games in college and knew he had good defensive potential; and at times he'd lockdown on defense and look like a stud. However, his defensive effort was pretty inconsistent so I didn't know how that part of his game was going to translate to the NBA.

I've watched 6 or 7 Warriors games this year, and even when he wasn't doing much on offense, he was still playing really good defense (for a rookie). If he builds on that level of defensive play and improves on it as his career progresses, then the Luol Deng comparisons may actually end up being pretty accurate. I thought no-way he'll ever be as good of a defender as Deng, but right now he's showing me he has that potential while also being an 18-20 PPG scorer.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#1358 » by JunkYardSubs » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:34 am

Lamb has looked bad in limited minutes, hope he can be moved to a team willing to let him grow.
KennyDuwayne
Senior
And1: 1,068

Post#1359 » by KennyDuwayne » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:01 am

Choker wrote:
princeofpalace wrote:
Sik Infant wrote:It's crazy to think that Gilchrist is most probably the best defender in a draft involving Davis...

Drummond is actually looking like the best and most impactful defender

Valanciunas would have had a word with you two....if it wasn't for Bargnani making him look bad defensively.

Damian Lillard says "Hi"

"Have you met my friend Michael Kidd Gilchrist?"
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,476

Post#1360 » by Jon1798 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:

That's really been my deal from the beginning. I get tired of the, "he's a bust", "oh wait, he's great", "oh wait, he's a bust."

Waiters is a fine player. My issue with the pick was the team that took him. IMO, the Cavs have one of the very very premier point guards in the league. Bonafide superstar. I do not for the life of me understand picking a ball dominant slasher, shooter. Harrison Barnes is sitting there, a guy that can hit the mid range shot. He's great at moving without the basketball, curling off of screens. He's a good wing defender. And from day one he just struck me as a guy that could match up with some of the best SF's in the league(excluding Lebron and Durant of course).

A team like the Hornets without a stud PG needs an Eric Gordon type of ball dominant SG. A team like the Cavs with one of the best PG's in the league? Just plug in a guy that can hit the three and play defense and you're sitting pretty.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj

Return to The General Board