Is Jeff Green an asset or liability?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

cnv2855
Banned User
And1: 6

Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#1 » by cnv2855 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 am

If Danny Ainge picked up the phone and offered Jeff Green and his $32m contract for absolutely nothing, would any GM in the league take the offer?

Has a player ever been given away? Is it against the rules?

The guy is horrible. He's slow. Puts absolutely no effort. And I don't think he's sober. The way he gives interviews, the absolutely atrocious reaction speed, the complete lack of effort. I really think he's drugged out on benzos. Just watch him play... There's no way this dude he's clear-headed.

He needs to be gtfo. If I were Doc Rivers, he'd be riding the pine and would never come off the bench... but why pay $32m to a player who shouldn't get any minutes?
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Re: Is Jeff Green an asset or liability? 

Post#2 » by Scorpion King » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 am

Liability for sure. They should have never traded for him. Signing him to that contract is another mistake.

From his body language he seems not happy. I bet he still misses OKC. Having Kevin Garnett has your team does not help.
cnv2855
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#3 » by cnv2855 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 am

Scorpion King wrote:Liability for sure. They should have never traded for him. Signing him to that contract is another mistake.

From his body language he seems not happy. I bet he still misses OKC. Having Kevin Garnett has your team does not help.

Watch a few of his interviews. I have a lot of friends with bad drug habits and he sounds exactly like them when they're barred out. Listen to how he almost slurs his words, how slow they are pronounced, and how he's so "out of it".

Has any player ever been given away?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4A1eKFrHU
kingofcomedy
Banned User
And1: 11

Post#4 » by kingofcomedy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 am

He adds zero value to that team, he sucks, why not just keep perk who filled a position of need and pay him instead of jeff gree
bballjunkie281
Senior
And1: 33

Post#5 » by bballjunkie281 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 am

There are some teams that are in dire need of a SF, like the Cavs or Kings. I suggested a trade on the Celtics board that I wonder if the Cavs would be willing to do: Green/Sullinger/Lee for Varejao/Casspi. It gives the Celtics the center they needed and the Cavs get an upgrade at SF, a young promising PF prospect and a good bench wing that they lack. Casspi becomes disposable in that scenario (well, he already is, as he has been playing pretty awful in the last year and a half and is now a fringe rotation player), so they send him as a filler, and the Celtics might be able to use him as a backup SF if Rondo/Pierce/KG can mentor him to at least return to something resembling his rookie year form. I think it's a win/win trade.
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#6 » by Scorpion King » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:52 am

bballjunkie281 wrote:There are some teams that are in dire need of a SF, like the Cavs or Kings. I suggested a trade on the Celtics board that I wonder if the Cavs would be willing to do: Green/Sullinger/Lee for Varejao/Casspi. It gives the Celtics the center they needed and the Cavs get an upgrade at SF, a young promising PF prospect and a good bench wing that they lack. Casspi becomes disposable in that scenario (well, he already is, as he has been playing pretty awful in the last year and a half and is now a fringe rotation player), so they send him as a filler, and the Celtics might be able to use him as a backup SF if Rondo/Pierce/KG can mentor him to at least return to something resembling his rookie year form. I think it's a win/win trade.

Varejao is valued highly by Cavs management and fans. It is a bad trade for Cavs to trade him for a player who is playing terrible and coming off a major surgery.

I honestly do not know why Ainge gave him that contract ? Were there a lot of suitors for him ?
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,596

Post#7 » by Fantaxp7 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:54 am

This is a ridiculous thread. I am one of many upset celtics fans who is pissed at the start Green has had...but seriously pointing to drugs???

And that trade would never happen.
j_angel
Analyst
And1: 366

Post#8 » by j_angel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 am

He has just had a year off.

This Green hate is pathetic.

Atm he is not playing great, but hes getting like 20mins a game. He needs time and confidence. Both will come.
Stat Padder
Junior
And1: 7

Post#9 » by Stat Padder » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:02 am

Jeff green can become a james worthy like player for the celtics
I aplogise for my poor english as I a from nigeria :)
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#10 » by NashtyNas » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 am

cnv2855 wrote:
Scorpion King wrote:Liability for sure. They should have never traded for him. Signing him to that contract is another mistake.

Watch a few of his interviews. I have a lot of friends with bad drug habits and he sounds exactly like them when they're barred out. Listen to how he almost slurs his words, how slow they are pronounced, and how he's so "out of it".

Has any player ever been given away?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4A1eKFrHU

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQIXC8sv1hc[/youtube]

Stop being SO DISRESPECTFUL!

The man had a major heart issue and for you to say nonsense like that is not right. Speak whatever and however you want to about his game, but don't make personal assertions like you know what's going on, that's just not fair.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
BobbySura
Bench Warmer
And1: 333

Post#11 » by BobbySura » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:13 am

he just had heart surgery, he'll get into form eventually.

I don't agree with the signing though, you don't drop that kinda money on a guy who needs time to recover and is still a question mark if he does recover fully or not, especially when you're trying to win a championship
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#12 » by Young_Star11 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Looking like a liability at the moment. Could have signed him for a discount. Who else was going to drop $40 million on him?

Hope he does recover.
Insanity91
Senior
And1: 68

Post#13 » by Insanity91 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:47 pm

At the moment a liability. But the Celtics might need him in the future in case someone goes down with an injury.
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#14 » by WhateverBro » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 pm

He was out for a year following heart surgery and people are already complaining? He's been playing OK so far IMO. Started the season pretty bad but has played pretty good recently aside from tonights Detroit game. Give him some more time and he'll be fine.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#15 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:22 pm

The problem is Jeff Green doesn't do anything really well. I mean, his BEST case would have been a Glenn Robinson career. That clearly did not happen. His next stop is Lee Nailon.

Green is an average defender, a bonus offensive player, but lacks 3pt range.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,726

Post#16 » by Ayt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Stat Padder wrote:Jeff green can become a james worthy like player for the celtics

Current James Worthy?
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
And1: 338

Post#17 » by Dr Pepper » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Liability. You don't give a tweener that has a bad heart and missed an entire season a mutliyear deal. I know Celtics need depth versatility for the ancient Pierce and KG, but you're not really getting that with Green until next season and on top of that he's arguably not that good of a player. Bad stuff for a window that is getting shut
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#18 » by Golabki » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:The problem is Jeff Green doesn't do anything really well. I mean, his BEST case would have been a Glenn Robinson career. That clearly did not happen. His next stop is Lee Nailon.

Green is an average defender, a bonus offensive player, but lacks 3pt range.
This is right. People hoped he would be more like Marion than Robinson, but whatever.

Too bad a rebounder to play a lot of PF. Not much of an interior defender. Just a pretty defender against perimeter player (he has a much better reputation than he deserves). Not a good shooter. Not a good ball handler or passer.

The thing is, these limitations aren't new. They've been there his whole career.

The contract is real bad, similar to the Outlaw deal from a few years ago.
redzealots
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#19 » by redzealots » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:04 pm

the lakers can offer the celtics

Chris Duhon
Steve Blake
and an option of Earl Clark and or Devin Ebanks.

This would make both teams automatically better.
redzealots
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#20 » by redzealots » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 pm

the lakers can throw in a ron artest in there too, and get brandon bass back.

so a multiplayer trade of

Ebanks
Blake
Duhon
Artest

for

Green
Bass
1st round pick

Return to The General Board