ImageImageImageImageImage

Where is Camby??

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Re: Where is Camby?? 

Post#61 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Not talking about the fountain of youth, Shamm. Full comeback to something resembling last year. The ability to contribute as a fringe starter or key bench player.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,997

Post#62 » by god shammgod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:19 pm

i don't think camby is in the greatest shape and i think woody held him out to send a message. yesterday he played much better because i think he got the message. i expect his conditioning to improve as the season goes on. our depth allows me not to worry about this much anyway.
cgmw
RealGM

Post#63 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:24 pm

j4remi wrote:
There are two different types of conditioning...There's running and cardio style and then there's game conditioning...which is combining physical exertion with the cardio. In this 4 week span, the knicks schedule hasn't allowed for much game time conditioning because the Knicks have had a busy schedule (Woodson himself said so).

Fair enough, and I hope you're right. Because at least this ny native is starting to get restless.

But honestly, look at his face and tell me you feel confident in his commitment to physical fitness. As somebody about the same age as him, I can tell you that Camby face is a real problem, especially for those of us who've spent more time in a bar than a gym over the past two decades.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#64 » by god shammgod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 pm

cgmw wrote:
j4remi wrote:
There are two different types of conditioning...There's running and cardio style and then there's game conditioning...which is combining physical exertion with the cardio. In this 4 week span, the knicks schedule hasn't allowed for much game time conditioning because the Knicks have had a busy schedule (Woodson himself said so).

Fair enough, and I hope you're right. Because at least this ny native is starting to get restless.

But honestly, look at his face and tell me you feel confident in his commitment to physical fitness. As somebody about the same age as him, I can tell you that Camby face is a real problem, especially for those of us who've spent more time in a bar than a gym over the past two decades.

he's had that bloated face look for a couple of years now. it's not new.

cgmw
RealGM

Post#65 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:29 pm

So he's been old and beat up for a while now, huh? Why is that not making me feel better?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,616

Post#66 » by mpharris36 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Camby will play 10 minutes a night when all is said and done because the guy just knows how to rebound. In two limited performances he grabbed 4 rebounds each in both games.

with the emergance of Sheed I think that will keep him from ever playing 20 minutes a night and when Amare comes back there will be quite a log jam at the 4 and 5 positions.

However I do like the fact we are keeping Chandler at 28-30 minutes a game this year. He is much more effective when he plays is smaller spirts and keeps up his energy. When he gets tired and was in that mid to high 30 minutes which he was playing under Dantoni he was more suseptable to early foul trouble and or injury.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#67 » by god shammgod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:32 pm

cgmw wrote:So he's been old and beat up for a while now, huh? Why is that not making me feel better?

he was still able to play at a high enough level while looking like that. you're making presumptions that he's an alcoholic without any facts supporting it.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#68 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:33 pm

cgmw wrote:
j4remi wrote:

I'm not so worried about his physical fitness since he only needs to give us a stron 10-15 minutes. His face didn't change my views one way or the other, but his willingness to dive for the ball and his board work gave me some hope that he'll be productive in his limited but important role.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
cgmw
RealGM

Post#69 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 pm

god shammgod wrote:
cgmw wrote:So he's been old and beat up for a while now, huh? Why is that not making me feel better?

he was still able to play at a high enough level while looking like that. you're making presumptions that he's an alcoholic without any facts supporting it.

I don't presume he's an alcoholic. I presume that I know what a healthy person looks like in the face, and that ain't it.

I also presume to be a little ticked off that a professional athlete on the team I spend money to root for is still having conditioning issues a month after being cleared to run.

That said, I'm hopeful he gets back to being the Marcus Camby we all know and love. The frontcourt length with Sheed, Camby, and Tyson is probably my favorite thing about this year's team. We havent' had that kind of defensive potential since the glory days.
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#70 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 pm

cgmw wrote:Fair enough, and I hope you're right. Because at least this ny native is starting to get restless.

You shouldn't expect more from Camby than what you saw last night. Personally, I'm happy with 4 rebounds, 1 block and very good defense in 13 minutes. Camby is really just another big body who can rebound very well and can give Tyson 10-15 minutes of rest. I'm not expecting him do to a lot more.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#71 » by god shammgod » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:53 pm

cgmw, how is it possible that you're mad at anything concerning the knicks currently ? after everything this franchise has been through, how can you not just be sitting back and enjoying this ? sure there are little things you can pick out and criticize but to actually be ticked off. it's beyond my understanding. you were mad the other day too about something trivial. i don't know if this is serious or you feel like this board needs a voice like yours right now but i'm dumbfounded by this. i really am. it's your right to do what you want but it's never going to be absolutely perfect. if you're searching for that, you're never going be happy.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#72 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:54 pm

cgmw wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

I don't presume he's an alcoholic. I presume that I know what a healthy person looks like in the face, and that ain't it.

I also presume to be a little ticked off that a professional athlete on the team I spend money to root for is still having conditioning issues a month after being cleared to run.

That said, I'm hopeful he gets back to being the Marcus Camby we all know and love. The frontcourt length with Sheed, Camby, and Tyson is probably my favorite thing about this year's team. We havent' had that kind of defensive potential since the glory days.

Regardless of his face...what did you think of his actual play yesterday? That seems far more important to me.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

cgmw
RealGM

Post#73 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:08 pm

I think it's very exciting to see him out there in his number 23 again. Not gonna lie, I winced when I saw him hit the ground for that loose ball against Psycho T. (Winced because I thought he was going to reinjure himself).

Shamm, I've always respected your views, and I hope you know that hasn't changed. But I've also shared a mutual annoyance with your worldview as well. Everything I've learned in life tells me that the past matters, and that demanding better of yourself in the future is no impediment to enjoying the present. Your comments seem to indicate an outlook that the past is behind us and that the only way to enjoy the present is to not worry about the future.

Listen, I'm not interested in casting judgement on Camby. But I do have expectations. I'm not interested in feeling good about myself because I root for a team that's 7-1. I'm interested in the Knicks winning a championship. To do that, we need a lot of help and that includes a healthy Camby.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#74 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:13 pm

I think we all want a championship, but they arent won after 8 games.

It's a long process, just enjoy the ride to the goal.

Sent from my Asus TR700T-B1-GR using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#75 » by fdr2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:17 pm

cgmw wrote:Listen, I'm not interested in casting judgement on Camby. But I do have expectations. I'm not interested in feeling good about myself because I root for a team that's 7-1. I'm interested in the Knicks winning a championship. To do that, we need a lot of help and that includes a healthy Camby.

What are your expectations of Camby? Do you expect him to fly for those dunks and put-backs like he did in 1999? Camby said he's healthy, and he played will last night. Seriously, what do you expect from him?
cgmw
RealGM

Post#76 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:I think we all want a championship, but they arent won after 8 games.

It's a long process, just enjoy the ride to the goal.

I'm pretty sure tuning into every minute and cheering my head off constitutes enjoyment.

I'm also pretty sure I enjoy myself pointing out that there's still a lot of work to be done if the Knicks really expect to be contenders this year.

To each his own on how they root for a team. But I think we're all on the same page in hoping Camby can make a comeback to become a meaningful contributor again.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#77 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:19 pm

cgmw wrote:I think it's very exciting to see him out there in his number 23 again. Not gonna lie, I winced when I saw him hit the ground for that loose ball against Psycho T. (Winced because I thought he was going to reinjure himself).

Shamm, I've always respected your views, and I hope you know that hasn't changed. But I've also shared a mutual annoyance with your worldview as well. Everything I've learned in life tells me that the past matters, and that demanding better of yourself in the future is no impediment to enjoying the present. Your comments seem to indicate an outlook that the past is behind us and that the only way to enjoy the present is to not worry about the future.

Listen, I'm not interested in casting judgement on Camby. But I do have expectations. I'm not interested in feeling good about myself because I root for a team that's 7-1. I'm interested in the Knicks winning a championship. To do that, we need a lot of help and that includes a healthy Camby.

My problem here is that the past shows Camby playing high level ball...there's no precedent for an out of shape Camby regardless of what his face looked like. So if we're going to talk about Camby and the shape he's in...there's no past to point to where he's out of shape and his progress this season is fairly reasonable in light of Woodson's comments. Add to that, he just turned in a pretty good performance and I feel reasonably confident that he'll be productive for us in a 10-15 mpg role which is really all we need from him to continue to be a contender.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#78 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:20 pm

It's not just Camby IMO, but I do believe Woodson has this under solid control.

R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,616

Post#79 » by mpharris36 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:22 pm

yes there is a log jam for minutes in the front court...that is obvious and if (knock on wood) we stay relatively healthy all season a lot of guys will be playing less minutes then they expected but you can't think for one second we will go the entire season without nicks and bruises.

I don't wish any players on the the knicks get injured but its part of the game and that is where are depth will come in handy. If Tyson or Sheed have to miss a game or a few games Camby will then be required to play 20 minutes instead of 10.

Yes Camby looks older but he still is 6'11 and he still has a certain ability to grab rebounds with his long lanky arms without really having to jump. He always has had a great rebound rate per 48 mins which is all im looking for from him.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
cgmw
RealGM

Post#80 » by cgmw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:22 pm

fdr2012 wrote:
cgmw wrote:Listen, I'm not interested in casting judgement on Camby. But I do have expectations. I'm not interested in feeling good about myself because I root for a team that's 7-1. I'm interested in the Knicks winning a championship. To do that, we need a lot of help and that includes a healthy Camby.

What are your expectations of Camby? Do you expect him to fly for those dunks and put-backs like he did in 1999? Camby said he's healthy, and he played will last night. Seriously, what do you expect from him?

I guess I expected a pro athlete who was cleared for running on October 22 to be in "basketball shape" by November 18,

As I wrote at the top of the page, I'm not expecting the fountain of youth. But I'd like to see him become more of a contributor than the 38 year old who came out of two years of retirement and signed for the vet min.

Return to New York Knicks