ImageImageImageImageImage

WT:Lakers have had internal discussions about Smith

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

anarchy24
Pro Prospect
And1: 230

Re: WT:Lakers have had internal discussions about Smith 

Post#121 » by anarchy24 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:32 pm

I'd hold on to Pau for this season. He becomes a huge expiring deal next year. So I would wait to see what becomes available till then.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#122 » by Kilroy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Also, I'd say 'had internal discussions' kinda makes it sound like a dead-deal. I'd say if we're hearing about it like this, it ain't happening.

We have time until the deadline to see how D'Antoni works with this team, and make changes accordingly, later...

But I agree... Pau doesn't suck so bad that he has to be moved now... Wait until the off-season when his value as an expiring goes up... As the belts with the new CBA rules start tightening even more, I would bet this expiring will be even more valuable that we'd expect.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#123 » by Jajwanda » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:03 pm

One discussion we haven't had about Pau is in two years does he retire? He may simply say I'm only about 33-34. My game is still very good at the C position. Why not sign him for 2/14m as Dwight's 14mpg backup C. He retires loved by Laker fans again.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#124 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Considering how much he loves being here it wouldn't shock me but who knows, that's still two years away. There's a decent chance he gets traded next year anyways.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#125 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 pm

It's easy to sit there and say or predict what the Lakers may or may not do with Pau. But this much is evident, if the Lakers are planning on this 2014 plan as many believe they are they're not trading Pau. Business wise I can't see them blowing up a projected $60 mil in cap space to trade for a guy who's going to want half of that.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#126 » by GAME TIME » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:02 pm

I been pondering about this. I think I would rather keep Gasol over Smith. Having 2 back to the basket players separates us from the OKC's and Miami of the world. I want to have the assurance of having a low post threat in our half court game when Howard gets in early foul trouble. I think we could be more versatile, playing fast or slow it down if we have too.

I trust in Laker FO though, if they do make the deal, then I'm down, because they would know more than I do.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#127 » by kblo247 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:It's easy to sit there and say or predict what the Lakers may or may not do with Pau. But this much is evident, if the Lakers are planning on this 2014 plan as many believe they are they're not trading Pau. Business wise I can't see them blowing up a projected $60 mil in cap space to trade for a guy who's going to want half of that.

Only way I believe they trade Pau is if is for a guy like Love or whoever before the deal expires, giving Minny an extra year rental of Pau, and stopping Love from walking for oohing. Basically Bynum andDwight over again, except Pau would suit up

Now granted they may do Josh Smith for Pau, if they deem Josh worthy of near max after watching him this year. I would not object to it actually.

The only Laker deal I would be pissed at is Amare for Pau if it happened when Amare returns
Compton310
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#128 » by Compton310 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:28 pm

new york get pau - lakers get josh smith - atlanta get amare stoudemire...... got this from the atlanta board i can see this happening
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#129 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Compton310 wrote:new york get pau - lakers get josh smith - atlanta get amare stoudemire...... got this from the atlanta board i can see this happening
That deal works for NY,LA but not Atlanta. They need a center so Horford can go back to his true position of PF. If Danny Ferry fell for that deal he needs his ass shipped out.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#130 » by kblo247 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Amare does statistically play better at C than PF for his career in both Phoenix and NY. It would be a sell some tickets move for Atlanta which should never be overlooked as they have had struggles there more than most perennial playoff teams, a better defense and make sure Dwight signs move for LA, and a perfect skill set fit for Melo/Pau/Tyson in NY
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,474

Post#131 » by dms269 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:15 pm

kblo247 wrote:Amare does statistically play better at C than PF for his career in both Phoenix and NY. It would be a sell some tickets move for Atlanta which should never be overlooked as they have had struggles there more than most perennial playoff teams, a better defense and make sure Dwight signs move for LA, and a perfect skill set fit for Melo/Pau/Tyson in NY

Doubt trading the hometown boy for Amare would do much to sell tickets.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,261

Post#132 » by picc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:47 am

This would be a mistake. Never got the love for Smith, he's not that good a player. For what we will be trying to accomplish Pau is the better player for our team this year.
Stebo_SSK
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#133 » by Stebo_SSK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:03 am

Compton310 wrote:new york get pau - lakers get josh smith - atlanta get amare stoudemire...... got this from the atlanta board i can see this happening

This trade would suck royally for everyone but NYK. Hell Pau would probably put them where they need to be.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#134 » by LApwnd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:23 pm

maybe its Atl offense, but man is Smith offensive game ugly when he's not dunking.
Stebo_SSK
Banned User

Post#135 » by Stebo_SSK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:39 pm

LApwnd wrote:maybe its Atl offense, but man is Smith offensive game ugly when he's not dunking.

Nah its him. The dude just isnt very good skill wise. Look at his usage compared to his overall production. This dude has a usage that is almost at Kobe's level right now but isnt even outproducing Pau or Dwight but guys think playing in LA is going to magically make guys better?
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#136 » by loveshaq786 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Lakers out: Pau Gasol, Duhon, 2nd round pick, and Steve Blake
Lakers in: Josh Smith and Iman Shupert

Atlanta out: Josh Smith and Devin Harris
Atlanta in: Amare, Duhon, and 2 second round picks

New York in: Pau Gasol and Steve Blake
New York out: Amare, 2nd round pick, and Iman

Ney york becomes freaking awesome.... We get more athletic (with a large expiring contract in Josh Smith), and get rid of Blake and Duhon...Atlanta gets their Center
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#137 » by LApwnd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm

^^^hope you dont post that in the trade idea forum, you're going to get :lol: so hard by any non-laker fans.
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#138 » by Gek » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:07 am

Kilroy wrote:Also, I'd say 'had internal discussions' kinda makes it sound like a dead-deal. I'd say if we're hearing about it like this, it ain't happening.

We have time until the deadline to see how D'Antoni works with this team, and make changes accordingly, later...

But I agree... Pau doesn't suck so bad that he has to be moved now... Wait until the off-season when his value as an expiring goes up... As the belts with the new CBA rules start tightening even more, I would bet this expiring will be even more valuable that we'd expect.

We'll use Pau to save ourselves money.
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#139 » by Kilroy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 am

Gek wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Also, I'd say 'had internal discussions' kinda makes it sound like a dead-deal. I'd say if we're hearing about it like this, it ain't happening.

We'll use Pau to save ourselves money.

Yes, my premise was that we don't want to trade Pau for a single player of equal value, but rather to try to address multiple issues. It may not save us money immediately but would provide us more flexibility while still making us better.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Stebo_SSK
Banned User

Post#140 » by Stebo_SSK » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:40 am

LApwnd wrote:^^^hope you dont post that in the trade idea forum, you're going to get :lol: so hard by any non-laker fans.

Hell he should get laughed at by any Laker fans.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers