ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Seraphin

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

GUYANNAGRIZZLI
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Kevin Seraphin 

Post#1441 » by GUYANNAGRIZZLI » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:59 pm

COME ON RANDY WITTMAN, WHAT KIND OF STARTING FIVE IS THAT?

PUT crawford veesely, seraphin OUT of the starting lineup after what they ve done last end of season and put guys like Okafor (and his overpaid contract) who is very poor in offense
KS IS WAY BETTER THAN OKAFOR IN OFFENSE AND AS GOOD IN DEFENBSE

THE POINT IS that THEY ARE DROPPIND THIS SEASON TO THE GARBAGE FOR A OTHER LOTTERY PICK NEXT SUMMER
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1442 » by nuposse04 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Serpahin doesn't seem like the mentally fragile type (kwame brown for example), that part doesn't concern me. I'm still baffled why he isn't starting. It was odd, when okafor actually played like a competent player it seemed Seraphin was pressing a little, like he was worried he'd lose playing time if he didn't produce and Okafor was. Seraphin looked great last night in the 4th quarter, he needs to put into situations where he can be consistently involved in the plays.

Take the Jazz for instance, wouldn't u rather seraphin play against Al then favors? Okafor is a better length match up on favors. Randy needs to stop playing this political game for the sake of Grundle, it'll cost everyone big time if he continues it.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,330

Post#1443 » by dobrojim » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:45 pm

KS and Okafor should both start. Booker, gawd love him, needs to come
off the bench.

Here's my starting 5 (for right now) -
Okafor
KSera
Martin
BB
Crawford

Def pleased to see KSera return to form last night vs DAL.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1444 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:32 am

Really starting to worry about Kevin. He has had a few hot streak but he has also played like complete crap.

For a guy his size, he just doesn't impose himself offensively.

The hook is a nice shot when its falling but he is always moving away from the basket. He never gets to the line.
He had a point blank shot that should have been a dunk. No dunk and no foul. It was pure suck.

Baby hooks and a ft line shot. Thats it.

Very disappointed in his game.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,148

Post#1445 » by AFM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am

Hands you are correct about his play style. He has the body of a bruiser but a finesse game. Great footwork, post moves, and touch but sometimes a hook shot isn't what you need. Sometimes you just need to knock a few bodies around and jam on a fool. It was no surprise to me that we go thrashed on the boards tonight.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure you can teach aggression. It's a mind set that some people have and some don't.
Like Doc Rivers said last week, "Seraphin will be a great offensive player". But I have doubts he will ever be a major inside presence.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1446 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:48 am

AFM wrote:Hands you are correct about his play style. He has the body of a bruiser but a finesse game. Great footwork, post moves, and touch but sometimes a hook shot isn't what you need. Sometimes you just need to knock a few bodies around and jam on a fool. It was no surprise to me that we go thrashed on the boards tonight.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure you can teach aggression. It's a mind set that some people have and some don't.
Like Doc Rivers said last week, "Seraphin will be a great offensive player". But I have doubts he will ever be a major inside presence.

Well then he will always be a bench player. And now he isn't even consistent. I was hoping he would be more then this. Right now on a scale of 1 to 10, he is playing like a 2 maybe 3.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#1447 » by FAH1223 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:49 am

wish he was 7 feet
hands11
Banned User

Post#1448 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:32 am

Kevin went 6 quarter without a rebound until the second half of the game tonight when he got 3.

Thats 3 rebounds over two games.
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#1449 » by veji1 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:33 pm

That is the main worry. The guy needs to start being majorly aggressive. All his training drills should be oriented towards becoming more aggressive. If he needs to foul out a few games through offensive fouls, so be it, but the priority for the staff must be that he be aggressive all the time. Time for tough love : you didn't attack the basket there where you coulda, out to think about it. The team is playing bad enough that being a bit mean with him can't hurt the team much more than it is already hurting...
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1450 » by WizarDynasty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:26 pm

ONly way to develop seraphin is to put two assistants on him and force him to score out on perimeter. By forcing him to play two on one, it develops his ball handling and offensive awareness skills and the ability to drive the hole against defensive pressure. Those are his biggest weaknesses, that and ability to rebound in traffic. The only way to do that is the get a two big bodies and giving them both inside position, and forcing seraphin to rebound the ball with outside position. If forces seraphin to fight through bodies and and grab the ball in traffic. Wizards probably don't even have the personnel to do this drill. this same drill needs to be done with both booker and vesely. so sad that wizards don't know how to develop assets
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#1451 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:36 pm

GUYANNAGRIZZLI wrote:COME ON RANDY WITTMAN, WHAT KIND OF STARTING FIVE IS THAT?

PUT crawford veesely, seraphin OUT of the starting lineup after what they ve done last end of season and put guys like Okafor (and his overpaid contract) who is very poor in offense
KS IS WAY BETTER THAN OKAFOR IN OFFENSE AND AS GOOD IN DEFENBSE

THE POINT IS that THEY ARE DROPPIND THIS SEASON TO THE GARBAGE FOR A OTHER LOTTERY PICK NEXT SUMMER

I think Wittman knows Seraphin could be the spark on offense, but given his history of being tough on Seraphin he's probably making him wait for the opportunity. Perhaps to have him appreciate it and fight to hold on to the spot once he's given the go-ahead.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#1452 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Kevin is not showing any signs of being coached, or he just can't change his game much like Jan. Neither one of these guys has shown any sign of breaking-free from the type of game that they currently have.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#1453 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Just read Seraphin may get his chance as starter tonight. Beginning to believe once again that Seraphin ought to be the Wizards PF.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 208

Post#1454 » by leswizards » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:02 pm

What is up with Randy Whitman and Kevin Seraphin. It seems that Randy is yelling at Kevin everytime Kevin comes to the sideline.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1455 » by hands11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 pm

leswizards wrote:What is up with Randy Whitman and Kevin Seraphin. It seems that Randy is yelling at Kevin everytime Kevin comes to the sideline.

He is giving him instructions on what to do.

AWIZ
I agree. He is a PF. I thought that from the start. He can play some center but right now he is more of a PF. But until he learns to box out, rebound and get fouled when he is shooting, he is a back up. Right now he is a very offensive minded player. What he needs to do is become a force in the post. He did more of that last game against ATL. Having Nene out there really helps him because Nene does those things and draws attention. That does two things. Nene leads by example and motivates Kevin and he opens the floor to make it easier for him.

If Nene was out healthy and out there, Kevin would develop faster. Both from practice and games.

I would develop him at PF and got get FA, draft or trade for a 7-0 strong center to replace Okafor longer term.

And the team needs to add back a Mason type next year. Just go get one of the UFA like Mason or Kyle Korver.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#1456 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:13 pm

leswizards wrote:What is up with Randy Whitman and Kevin Seraphin. It seems that Randy is yelling at Kevin everytime Kevin comes to the sideline.

People are trying to play it up like Wittman is just being an old-school coach with Seraphin, but how many times have you seen him get in Jan Vesely's face despite his underwhelming play being a top 10 draft selection? Has Crawford never taken a bad shot? Ever see him get in Crawford's face? He's borderline bully. What do bullies do? They scan, they identify a target, they go to work. Seraphin is probably the only guy on the roster who wouldn't trade pride for pride with Wittman despite reaching a boiling point. Wittman's a loser in this area IMO; his constant public yelling at Seraphin could easily cause onlookers who don't know better to view Seraphin as being the problematic player Wittman makes him out to be despite being arguably the Wizards brightest young player not named John Wall.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#1457 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:20 pm

hands11 wrote:

He is giving him instructions on what to do.

AWIZ
I agree. He is a PF. I thought that from the start. He can play some center but right now he is more of a PF. But until he learns to box out, rebound and get fouled when he is shooting, he is a back up. Right now he is a very offensive minded player. What he needs to do is become a force in the post. He did more of that last game against ATL. Having Nene out there really helps him because Nene does those things and draws attention. That does two things. Nene leads by example and motivates Kevin and he opens the floor to make it easier for him.

If Nene was out healthy and out there, Kevin would develop faster. Both from practice and games.

I would develop him at PF and got get FA, draft or trade for a 7-0 strong center to replace Okafor longer term.

And the team needs to add back a Mason type next year. Just go get one of the UFA like Mason or Kyle Korver.[/
quote]

I'm with you on the Wizards needing to bring in another center. You don't feel Martin or Webster fills the role of spot-up shooter?
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1458 » by Halcyon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:37 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

People are trying to play it up like Wittman is just being an old-school coach with Seraphin, but how many times have you seen him get in Jan Vesely's face despite his underwhelming play being a top 10 draft selection? Has Crawford never taken a bad shot? Ever see him get in Crawford's face? He's borderline bully. What do bullies do? They scan, they identify a target, they go to work. Seraphin is probably the only guy on the roster who wouldn't trade pride for pride with Wittman despite reaching a boiling point. Wittman's a loser in this area IMO; his constant public yelling at Seraphin could easily cause onlookers who don't know better to view Seraphin as being the problematic player Wittman makes him out to be despite being arguably the Wizards brightest young player not named John Wall.

I don't think he gives a crap about what he looks like. He yells at Seraphin because he knows he's one of the few guys on the team who can be a difference maker and he's trying to improve him. I don't think he yells at Vesely because he knows he sucks ass, and Craw doesn't listen.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#1459 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Halcyon wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

I don't think he gives a crap about what he looks like. He yells at Seraphin because he knows he's one of the few guys on the team who can be a difference maker and he's trying to improve him. I don't think he yells at Vesely because he knows he sucks ass, and Craw doesn't listen.

That's how I try to think of it, as far as improving Seraphin. If he's really that devoted to growing Seraphin then set him up with some sort of trainer to work on his weaknesses. Rebounding wasn't his real strength last season and it still isn't. Otherwise all the yelling just makes him look like he's taking his frustrations with the team out on Seraphin. At least in my eyes.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#1460 » by willbcocks » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:53 pm

I see it exactly the opposite--Whitman's not picking on him, he's treating him like the teacher's pet. In addition to seemingly being a good guy by nature, Seraphin likes Whitman. He's the coach who gave him a chance. He probably listens to him and actually asks him questions, and he doesn't roll his eyes when the coach is talking to him.

It's not wonder Whitman spends more time talking to him...

Return to Washington Wizards