56%

Total votes: 82

AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Re: Deron Williams vs. Rajon Rondo 

Post#141 » by AussieBuck » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:57 am

therealbig3 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:I'll take an in shape Williams over Rondo but maybe not the fat non defending version of the last couple of seasons.

See, I don't really understand why some people keep saying Williams is out of shape or fat...he's always been a bigger PG, but I've never thought he was out of shape...he always plays an uptempo style and plays a lot of minutes, so I don't really see that.

And he's in really good shape this year after the Olympics.

I haven't watched him this season, which is why I didn't comment on it. He's looked fat at various points in the previous two seasons and stopped playing D during that time. If he's back to giving a **** then I'll take him over Rondo.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#142 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:01 am

Deron's shooting hasn't been the same for a while. I still think he's better than Rondo
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#143 » by therealbig3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Deron's shooting hasn't been the same for a while. I still think he's better than Rondo

He was on a terrible team last year, and he's also been dealing with injuries the last couple of years. And it doesn't help that the coach is an idiot and doesn't know how to run a basic offensive set or that it's probably best to let an elite PG handle the ball instead of running around screens like he's Ray Allen.
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#144 » by WhateverBro » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 am

A little late on this but what exactly does Rondo do better than Deron Williams? D-Will beats him out in every single aspect of the game, basically..
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#145 » by GreenBloodedC » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 am

CP3's the only PG I'd choose over Rondo right now.

And we must understand that we're in '12, not '09.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#146 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 am

No reason for me to take Rondo over Williams. Rondo isn't the transcendent passer like his statistics suggest, and a more multifaceted threat like Williams could push more out of the Celtics offense the past few seasons.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Ginobili
Junior
And1: 19

Post#147 » by Ginobili » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Deron Williams is the better basketball player, but im still annoyed with his inefficient scoring percentages.

He seems to settle too much for the 3pt and mid-range shot, instead of taking it to the rim more than he actually does.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#148 » by Doormatt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36 pm

i went to the laker game yesterday against the nets, and kind of off topic, but i havent really watched the nets this year and im often confused on how they use dwill. like they will run an offensive set with joe johnson handling the ball and dwill running off screens to catch it and make a play off of that, or something along those lines. it blew my mind how many times they ran that against the lakers when all they had to do was let him go to work on morris and destroy him, which he did when he iso'd him or played against him in the pick n roll, especially in the 2nd half.

anyways, it seems like even with the nets not fully utilizing him (at least from what i saw) that hes still a vastly superior offensive player to rondo. i mean if you just watch them it seems obvious given the type of offense each can generate.
#doorgek
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#149 » by MistyMountain20 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:03 pm

I got the same impression watching the game. The Nets seem to encourage Williams to be more of a scorer, this has led to some spotty decision making on his part. 6 3's a game is way too much for him.
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#150 » by orangeparka » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:19 pm

D-Will's shooting way too many suspect threes. He's still scoring efficiently but he could get back to his near-60% TS if he took better shots.

And yeah, D-Will over Rondo.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#151 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Avery Johnson has this obsession with being "versatile" and playing "smallball". Nearly all of the times you see D-Will chucking shots up is when he's at the 2 and playing off-the-ball.

We Nets fans are just floored by how dumb a coach can be by putting one of the best PGs in the game at the 2-position thereby creating an undersized average SG who has to guard guys much bigger than him, and place CJ Watson, who can't create for himself or properly run an offense, at the 1.

It boggles my mind and every time it happens we end up blowing whatever lead we had or extending our deficit.

Not only do I think D-Will wrist will never the same as it used to be, the fact that he's got SGs guarding him rather than PGs makes a big difference. Avery is creating a chucker by having D-Will play off-the-ball so much.

EDIT: Ironically, John Schuhmann of NBA.com looks into the issue of why the Nets are the NBAs best 2nd quarter team, but worst 3rd quarter....and guess what the numbers show?

When D-Will is not playing the 2, the Nets do well, but when the Nets go to the small ball lineup with Watson at the 1, D-Will at the 2, it all falls apart: http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/11/2 ... -pg-combo/
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,879

Post#152 » by UGA Hayes » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 am

To me one of the interesting aspects of both of their seasons this year is that despite putting up fairly similar numbers to their previous years both of their teams have seen a pretty big jump in their teams offensive rankings. This seems to support some of the stuff myself and other Rondo fans have been saying in defense of his teams poor offenses- that is that most of the secondary scoring number that isn't all that PG related has as much impact on the O as anything. Boston has become a better offensive team mainly on that they don't turn it over and they are shooting way more FT (about 4 more attempts a game at 80% shooting).
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#153 » by ardee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:29 am

How is this even an argument any more.

The only thing people used in Deron's favor was scoring... Now Rondo is scoring about 3 less ppg on 12% better from the field.

Deron is no longer a top 5 PG, Rondo is top 2 right now.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#154 » by lukekarts » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 pm

I agree Rondo is playing better than Deron this season but he's not a top 2 point guard. His impact is still hit or miss from game to game, with his flawed shooting and high turnover games getting in the way of what should be a top 2 point guard. Guys like Kyrie Irving have been better this season; there's obviously a strong case for Rose once he returns, Tony Parker is just hitting his stride, and whilst I appreciate he polarises opinion on this board, Westbrook offers a very solid alternative and I doubt Boston would be a worse team with him instead of Rondo.

I'm also concerned (well, not really concerned because it makes it easier for my team) that Boston are going to become too reliant upon Rondo/the system that in the long run ball movement will suffer. High assists from one player in conjunction with not being an elite offensive team suggest the assists result from systematic plays and jumpshooters, rather than a cohesive offensive unit e.g. Magic's Lakers. If I was running the Celtics I'd much rather see Rondo's assists drop whilst Pierce, Garnett or JET's assists increase.
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#155 » by JordansBulls » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:17 pm

ardee wrote:How is this even an argument any more.

The only thing people used in Deron's favor was scoring... Now Rondo is scoring about 3 less ppg on 12% better from the field.

Well we still don't know if Rondo can lead a team to the playoffs where he is the clear cut best player on the team. We know Deron can and did so in Utah particularly in 2010.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#156 » by smith2373 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:48 pm

JordansBulls wrote:
ardee wrote:How is this even an argument any more.

Well we still don't know if Rondo can lead a team to the playoffs where he is the clear cut best player on the team. We know Deron can and did so in Utah particularly in 2010.

Rondo has been the Celtics best player since the 2009-10 season...

He was their best player during the Finals run in 2010, he was their best player during the ECF run in the playoffs last year.
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#157 » by ahonui06 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm assuming we are talking about this season.

Rondo '12-'13: 14-14-5 on 52-32-61 with 55 TS% and 54 eFG%
Deron '12-'13: 17-9-3 on 39-26-88 with 52 TS% and 45 eFG%

Rondo is clearly better than Deron Williams as a PG. Rondo leads the NBA in assists by a significant margin. Chris Paul is 2nd in APG and is approximately 4 assists per game behind Rondo. Rondo has 37 consecutive games with 10 or more assists which is a NBA record. Rondo is a better defensive player than Deron Williams. Rondo is a better rebounder than Deron Williams. Rondo is a better leader than Deron Williams as evidenced by his last few playoff runs where he puts up ridiculous numbers.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#158 » by therealbig3 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:00 am

Rondo has been better than Deron, because Deron's shooting has been abysmal...but it's been abysmal because of a ton of injuries that he's dealing with. No excuses, which is why I rank Rondo over D-Will so far, but the context is important.

D-Will's skills haven't declined at all. He was the MVP of the Nets by a clear margin in their win over the Knicks, even though he only went 6-17 from the field. He's still an awesome floor general, he's still someone that the defense respects from the perimeter, and his defense has actually been quite good this year. Maybe better than Rondo's actually, since Rondo himself hasn't been all that good on that end of the floor.

And saying Rondo has been the best player on the Celtics since 2010 is laughable...that's KG, and it's not close.

IMO, Deron has still been a top 5 PG this year.
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#159 » by smith2373 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:15 am

therealbig3 wrote:Rondo has been better than Deron, because Deron's shooting has been abysmal...but it's been abysmal because of a ton of injuries that he's dealing with. No excuses, which is why I rank Rondo over D-Will so far, but the context is important.

D-Will's skills haven't declined at all. He was the MVP of the Nets by a clear margin in their win over the Knicks, even though he only went 6-17 from the field. He's still an awesome floor general, he's still someone that the defense respects from the perimeter, and his defense has actually been quite good this year. Maybe better than Rondo's actually, since Rondo himself hasn't been all that good on that end of the floor.

And saying Rondo has been the best player on the Celtics since 2010 is laughable...that's KG, and it's not close.

IMO, Deron has still been a top 5 PG this year.

KG was terrible in the 2009-10 season and a significant reason as to why the Celtics didn't win the championship with his mediocre play in the Finals and how much he got outplayed by Pau Gasol while Rondo was the best player during the Finals run.

In the 2010-11 season, I don't see how one could argue KG was better. Only player on the team who has an argument over Rondo is Pierce and he wasn't better.

In the 2011-12 season, KG was awful in the 1st half of the season but great in the 2nd half and the playoffs, one could argue KG played better than Rondo, it could go either way.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#160 » by Doormatt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:19 am

lol if theres anyone to blame for their finals loss in '10 its rondo or perkins. kobe literally didnt have to play defense on him the entire series and he really didnt hurt us that much. also i recall perkins getting abused by whoever he had to guard. also didnt help that allen went balls cold the entire series apart from one game.

regardless, rondo has never had an argument for being the best player on the celtics apart from this year.
#doorgek

Return to Player Comparisons