Lets talk about Alexey Shved

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Re: Lets talk about Alexey Shved 

Post#61 » by wildvikeswolves » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:24 am

We were a playoff team last year until Rubio got injured. It's not Loves fault he's had a crap team his whole career and 2 of the worst coaches ever until Adelman
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#62 » by black bart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 am

Kevin Love played with Michael Beasley as his second best player and wes johnson as starting small forward. He also played with darko starting as well. Darko + Webster + Wesley Johnson + beasley is like the worst lineup ever. I don't even know if lebron james could take that team to the playoffs.
Frank Mulely
Head Coach
And1: 649

Post#63 » by Frank Mulely » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:29 am

Klomp wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6o0UcFOeHc[/youtube]

Career games against GSW don't count :lol:
Shv3d wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:Honestly if this was the 80s

The official motto of RealGM.
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#64 » by CodyB_ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:32 pm

This guy pulls up on this close to mid range jumper as quick as any guard in the NBA, he's composed out to the three point line and he feeds of the pick and roll/pop very well.

Someone said earlier on Brent Barry, I'm thinking more along the lines of Jamal Crawford with passing ability.

This guy doesn't look like a Euro. His percentages were awesome in the Euroleague, once he figures his spots in the NBA and gets a little more help from a returning Love and Rubio, he will be much more efficient.
Don't be a jerk.
HB2
Pro Prospect
And1: 93

Post#65 » by HB2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:He reminds me more of Brent Barry from his Sonic days.... and if he is that type of player... he will find his niche in the NBA.

There are not that many players with Bones skill set...

pretty good comparison. i think shved's ability to create his own shot is a bit better, but i think barry's decision making was better.
shved's a solid playmaker but he can attempt some pretty risky, low% plays.

We need some Brent Barry Love...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXg-k_1NGMY&feature=related[/youtube]

His Crip Walk...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawdmsHSYBY&feature=related[/youtube]

It is shame that most people don't really how smooth the guy was when he was playing... Most people think of him as a deadeye spot up shooter in his later days.

Skils and mixes and better than some of the superstar's - why he never became at least a solid all-star?
koko wrote:
YFZblu wrote:
koko wrote:I want to F Navarro. Do him some nasty things.

:o

Watchin him play makes me horny. Deal with it, i did.
deliriousmouse
Rookie
And1: 169

Post#66 » by deliriousmouse » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Kinda rare to be leaning on a first year player, he delivers as well

He's still got a few things to work on, However he;s a nice size, a VERY good passer for a shooting guard.

Would say his shot selection can be average, however its about 7 games into his NBA career, he's shown at Euroleage he can be efficient. he'll be alright, Especially once Love/Rubio are on the court
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,582

Post#67 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:41 am

deliriousmouse wrote:Kinda rare to be leaning on a first year player, he delivers as well

He's still got a few things to work on, However he;s a nice size, a VERY good passer for a shooting guard.

Would say his shot selection can be average, however its about 7 games into his NBA career, he's shown at Euroleage he can be efficient. he'll be alright, Especially once Love/Rubio are on the court

The only reason we are really leaning on him so early is

a. Injuries
b. No one else who's healthy can create offense
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#68 » by Bertrob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:42 am

How is his defense?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 am

bertrob wrote:How is his defense?

Not outstanding, but adequate.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

JungleCat022
Junior
And1: 64

Post#70 » by JungleCat022 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 am

Ettorefm wrote:
Just look at Vesely, seen a few years ago as the european Blake Griffin, when he plays NOTHING like Griffin. Some people from the media actually tried to link him to Dirk. Yeah, great job. Keep trusting his jumpshot :lol:

I remember during the draft show after Wash drafted Vesely, Jay Bilas said he was one of the best jump shooters in the draft and then proceeded to show a few clips of him dunking and literally like the only video clip on the internet of him making a 3 pointer. I had watched a lot of video of him and knew this was completely false :lol:
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#71 » by Leslie Forman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:42 am

Human Being wrote:Skils and mixes and better than some of the superstar's - why he never became at least a solid all-star?
He just never really had the desire you need to become that good.

He really should have been an all-time great shooting guard. With his athleticism and skillset he was basically the shooting guard equivalent of Lamar Odom. Even worse really, at least Odom put together a few borderline All-Star level seasons. Being a rich kid of a former pro probably didn't help his drive much.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#72 » by NashtyNas » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 am

Klomp wrote:
bertrob wrote:How is his defense?

Not outstanding, but adequate.

Below average the moment, it's not even adequate. He can get better, but he's probably a 'pass.' As in, he's not as bad as Jamal Crawford, but he's not as good as Danny Green (above average) either. Definitely lots of room to improve on that end of the floor, seems like he just doesn't give the effort at times on the defensive end.

Nonetheless, thank you Wolve's fans, I had kept my eye on him ever since Roy was supposed to be your starting SG and soon as Roy and Budinger both went down, picked him up. So far, hes been good.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#73 » by Young_Star11 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Good player, came to the NBA quite polished and can do a bit of everything at the offensive end. Should fit in nicely if/when Minnesota get healthy again.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 pm

All rookies have learning curves, but this particular situation is not the norm. Shved is getting opportunities to spark the Wolves off the bench right now more out of necessity than anything else. With the team battling early-season injuries, including Monday’s news that Brandon Roy underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee, Shved’s minutes have increased. He’s spending an average of nearly 29 minutes on the floor over his past four games as opposed to around 18 minutes in his first five.

With those increased minutes have come more opportunities to both succeed and fall short on both ends of the court. He’s done both, but he continues to be a factor in keeping this back court together, and regardless of outcome he’s been on the floor during crunch time moments throughout his first two weeks.

“He really adds a lot of value to our team,” forward Derrick Williams said. “Without him, we wouldn’t be in a lot of games. We’ve been in the last few because of his play and him knocking down shots.”

These early-season lessons could be valuable for Shved and for the Wolves later on when the team regains its health and tries to make a push at a postseason run. In the first game of the season he was on the court for 4:26 of the fourth quarter. Over the last eight games, he’s played all but 2:28 of the team’s fourth quarter minutes.

Whether he’s succeeded or failed on a given play, he’s been part of the Wolves’ plans down the stretch. And that’s with an injury-plagued roster. Adelman said when the rest of the team returns, particularly Rubio and the way he distributes the ball, guys like Shved will get more regular open looks.

“It will be fun, man,” Williams said. “When we get all of our guys back, we’re going to be a dangerous team. We’re already dangerous now; we’ve lost a few in a row but we’re hanging in there and that’s what coach likes to see.”

Shved is right in the middle of that equation. Learning and getting valuable minutes could go a long way in the rookie’s development throughout this season.

“It’s been good for him just to be able to get out there and just play,” Ridnour said. “Play through mistakes and just keep getting the ball and keep making plays. He’s done a really good job.”

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/ro ... me-moments

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:14 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KawohLZWJK4[/youtube]

Klomp wrote:Assists by Game
Sacramento - 0
Toronto - 4 (Andrei, Dante, Dante, Nikola)
Brooklyn - 4 (Chase, Chase, Dante, Nikola)
Orlando - 3 (Chase, Greg, Chase)
Indiana - 7 (Chase, Dante, Greg, Malcolm, Greg, Nikola, Nikola)
Chicago - 6 (Nikola, Dante, Dante, Malcolm, Malcolm, Andrei)
Dallas - 5 (Andrei, Nikola, Andrei, Andrei, Luke)
Charlotte - 2 (Andrei, Andrei)
Golden State - 7 (Josh, Dante, Derrick, Luke, Dante, Andrei, Dante)

Assists by Player
Dante - 9
Andrei - 8
Nikola - 6
Chase - 5
Greg - 3
Malcolm - 3
Luke - 2
Derrick - 1
Josh - 1

AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#76 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:42 pm

tong po wrote:
Human Being wrote:Skils and mixes and better than some of the superstar's - why he never became at least a solid all-star?
He just never really had the desire you need to become that good.

He really should have been an all-time great shooting guard. With his athleticism and skillset he was basically the shooting guard equivalent of Lamar Odom. Even worse really, at least Odom put together a few borderline All-Star level seasons. Being a rich kid of a former pro probably didn't help his drive much.

Meh. I don't know if laziness or entitlement were Barry's primary problems. It seemed like staying healthy was.

Did those other things have something to do with not playing through nagging injuries or bouncing back as quickly... I dunno.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 pm

From Britt Robson:
Shved has become a favorite among a sizable contingent of both casual fans and hoop diehards from the media and the peanut gallery. I’ve been a skeptical curmudgeon of his game, for reasons that are silly and/or aesthetic, as well as some that are well-grounded. But given the paucity of quality options, including the defensively horrid prospect of resurrecting last season’s pint-sized combo of Barea and Luke Ridnour on the court together once Barea recovers from his sprained foot, I think Shved deserves the chance to handle a plurality of minutes at shooting guard until Budinger returns.

Shved, who will turn 24 next month, has a raw but intriguing skill set that is complicated by his basketball experience and his physical dimensions, both of which are fairly anomalous, compared with most of his NBA counterparts. He has played extensively as a point guard on the international stage, most notably teaming with Kirilenko to lead Russia to a bronze medal in last summer’s Olympics. And at 6-6 tall and 190 pounds, his lean, gangly frame can create matchup problems for both him and his opponents.

The general book on Shved coming into this season was that he was a poor defender but a deft passer and a solid outside shooter with unselfish, ball-sharing inclinations. During his first nine games with the Wolves, he has pretty much made a hash out of those assessments but overall has been a catalyst for more good things than bad that have happened on the court.

My biggest legitimate gripes with his game thus far are his shot selection and his maddening, chronic habit of unnecessarily leaving his feet while making a pass off the dribble. Among Minnesota’s top dozen players in minutes, only Derrick Williams shoots more frequently than Shved, and nobody on the team chucks it up from long distance more often. Given that Shved’s shooting percentage is 24.3 percent from three-point territory and 38.3 percent overall, that gunner’s mentality is problematic, and reflects his splashy, “hero ball” inclinations not only when shooting, but in his flashy proclivity to drive to the hoop and then go in the air to feed his teammates off the dribble.

But there are virtues within those vices. No doubt bolstered by his international success, Shved relishes the pressure of crunch time, and actually improves his play (albeit compared to the low bar set by his non crunch-time performance). According to his “clutch” statistics at nba.com, he doubles his shot frequency while raising his shooting accuracy from 38 percent to 55 percent in the clutch, mostly by going inside.

Now “clutch” situations produce a ridiculously small sample size — 14 minutes — so let’s expand it to Shved’s fourth quarter performance. Since Shved helped lead the way in a thrilling fourth-quarter comeback against Brooklyn in the third game of the season, Adelman has deployed him all but 81 seconds out of a possible 94 minutes in those final stanzas. He has responded with a higher shooting percentage (43.1), three-point percentage (33.3) and assist-to-turnover ratio (2.71 to 1) than in the earlier quarters.

Shved does have a proclivity for being a ball-stopper; for taking his time to survey the half-court situation before reacting with a pass or shot. That’s one reason why Adelman prefers to pair him with another ball-handler who can do some of the initiation and get Shved accustomed to going with, as opposed to always initiating, the flow. Adelman has been steadfast in his belief that Shved is by nature a solid long-range shooter who will inevitably start converting those three-pointers. If so, his value will soar in the Wolves offense.

In disagreements with the coach, I defer to his greater wisdom. That said, I need to see it to believe that Shved can be reliable from three-point territory and don’t mind him running the point when Rubio is on the shelf. His size makes him look relatively slow and clumsy on the dribble, but longer strides create quickness and smaller opponents are going to have trouble getting into his path for the poke-steals that his handle seems to invite.

It remains to be seen whether Shved can sustain even this promising level of success once scouts suss his habits (especially those airborne passes) and begin to press his weaknesses. Defensively, he’s been a mixed bag, with his size again mitigating some of his flaws in positioning and help rotations.

But among the options over the next month, the Barea-Ridnour pairing is a diminutive disaster defensively, Lee lacks NBA ability (though has some value via hard work on the defensive end), and Howard shoots way too frequently. Relying on a cocky rookie with some notable flaws for major minutes is not a recipe for playoff contention. But with Roy out for a month (and diminished when he returns) and Budinger gone for three or four months, Shved is the necessary gamble at shooting guard.

http://www.minnpost.com/sports/2012/11/ ... ff-chances

GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#78 » by GopherIt! » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:50 am

a rich or poor man's Alexey Shved. give or take.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:56 am

The last two highlights were easily his most impressive

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpc2_jDRwWA[/youtube]

BVPN
Sixth Man
And1: 292

Post#80 » by BVPN » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:59 am

Why is he not starting at SG yet.
DFC Pride

Return to The General Board