ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown To Randy Wittman Getting Fired

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Countdown To Randy Wittman Getting Fired 

Post#1 » by closg00 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:53 am

Eddie Jordan, fired! Flip Saunders, fired! Will Randy Wittman become the fall-guy? Ernie Grunfeld's mendacity has no limits, he might be able to pull it off again.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Re: Countdown To Randy Wittman Getting Fired 

Post#2 » by dandridge 10 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:00 am

closg00 wrote:Eddie Jordan, fired! Flip Saunders, fired! Will Randy Wittman become the fall-guy? Ernie Grunfeld's mendacity has no limits, he might be able to pull it off again.

Yep, I bet Wittman gets the axe while bulletproof Ernie continues to dig this franchise into a bigger hole.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#3 » by miller31time » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:11 am

If we lose 3 more games in a row, I would say that's the end of the road for Witt.

We win one of the next 3 and I think he stays for a bit longer.

Just my dos centavos.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#4 » by AFM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:47 am

He will get canned sooner or later. Honestly, he may not be a great coach, but it's not his fault we suck. Phil Jackson couldn't get this team a winning record.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#5 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:57 am

AFM wrote:He will get canned sooner or later. Honestly, he may not be a great coach, but it's not his fault we suck. Phil Jackson couldn't get this team a winning record.

Yeah, but EG can use him as a prop. According to Hands, Witt is here until at least trade deadline next season or something.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#6 » by AFM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:59 am

Well, sure he can be the scapegoat, if that's where you're going with this. Can't we just tar and feather EG?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#7 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:24 am

I kind of feel bad for Wittman. I'm not sure whether he's a good or not, but I don't fault him much for where the team is now, even if I sometimes haven't a clue what he's doing. He looks at the crew he's been charged with and just throws a lineup on the court and sees what sticks. Even if he is a decent coach (I think CCJ or someone else already observed this) his career may never recover from this experience.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#8 » by Knighthonor » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:40 am

Really I am curious what even the greatest of greatest coaches would do right now with the current Wizard's roster to get wins...

Ay idea?

Team just doesn't seem to have talent. How can a great coach do something with a team with little to no above avg talent?
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#9 » by Nivek » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Is Wittman to blame? Of course not -- there's only so much that can be done with a roster that can't shoot. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him fired sooner rather than later. They'd spin it as the team needing a different voice or something, and they'd replace him with one of his assistants.

Thought it was interesting to hear Shaun Livingston say that the team's coaching staff is basically the same as it was when he was in Washington last. This despite firing Flip Saunders.

The issue then wasn't Flip any more than the issue now is Wittman. They need better players.

So, of course they'll fire Wittman. Because...Wizards.

All that said -- I'm in favor of a complete franchise makeover. Fire the GM and the entire front office. Fire the entire coaching staff. Bring in a new GM (like Troy Weaver), who will bring in a new coach (I've liked Joerger for awhile now), and then empower those guys to trade off the guys who never should have been brought in and rebuild in a way that actually makes sense.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#10 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Nivek wrote:...I'm in favor of a complete franchise makeover. Fire the GM and the entire front office. Fire the entire coaching staff. Bring in a new GM (like Troy Weaver), who will bring in a new coach (I've liked Joerger for awhile now), and then empower those guys to trade off the guys who never should have been brought in and rebuild in a way that actually makes sense.

Oh please! Please Please Please!

But... it won't happen. As predicted we'll fire Wittman. Then, as often happens at a coaching changes, there might even be a very temporary bump, a win or two, and the need for the change is confirmed. Then, things go back to their real level, and... back on the merry go round.

Sigh.... I wish this weren't so predictable and so very depressing.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#11 » by Higga » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:43 am

Nivek wrote:
All that said -- I'm in favor of a complete franchise makeover. Fire the GM and the entire front office. Fire the entire coaching staff. Bring in a new GM (like Troy Weaver), who will bring in a new coach (I've liked Joerger for awhile now), and then empower those guys to trade off the guys who never should have been brought in and rebuild in a way that actually makes sense.

Agree 110% with this. We need to completely clean house. Ted should have done this when he took over in 2010, but better late than never I guess.

Reg. Wittman though, I was never a Wittman fan. Hated the idea of bringing back a retread and proven loser. But with that said, nobody can win with this abomination of a roster.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Nivek » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Gotta say that hiring Wittman seems in many ways similar to how the team goes about acquiring player talent. Was he The Best person for the job? Dunno -- they never talked to anyone else. But he's a bargain! Plus, the team was less awful after he took over. And did I mention he's a bargain? Yeah, he's struggled to generate wins...anywhere else he's coached, but if everything goes just right, who knows...maybe the Wiz can approach mediocrity.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Nivek » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:32 pm

I wonder if Ernie "always wanted" Wittman as a head coach.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

closg00
RealGM

Post#14 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Excellent point Kevin. As Shaun Livingston pointed out, he returns to Washington to find pretty-much what was here when he left two years ago.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#15 » by queridiculo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 pm

closg00 wrote:Excellent point Kevin. As Shaun Livingston pointed out, he returns to Washington to find pretty-much what was here when he left two years ago.

Quite amazing that the local media doesn't pick up on gems like that.

I find the coverage of the Wizards in general quite appalling. The Post loves to pound Snyder and the Redskins any chance they get but when it comes to the Wizards they might as well be Fox News during the Bush administration.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#16 » by hands11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:59 am

Time to stop blaming the players Randy.

Sure they can do thing better. So can you.

I hate to see him go because I want to see him with a full line up which should be easier to line up but I expect him to be able to coach the tougher line ups as well.
Mickstix
Junior
And1: 27

Post#17 » by Mickstix » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:14 am

I honestly thought Ernie had the race won, but low and behold Randy is making a late dash to the finish line!! If we break the o'fer record, then I think Randy gets it soon there after.. If we somehow win a couple games, I think they both make it till seasons end and get canned together..
Mick
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#18 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm

I think they are still paying Saunders, so if Wittman gets fired that's alot of coaches to be paying, making the signing of a big name coach unlikely. This team has been so down, and as it's been well discussed is no destination for free agents because of it. One of the few avenues this team has to help change the way it's perceived around the league with any kind of quickness would be to pay up to bring in a high profile and well respected head coach. Someone like a Jeff Van Gundy, Jerry Sloan, or John Thompson.

Seems to me much more likely if Witt is let go either Newman or Cassell would be the choice.

This team really is a complete mess.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#19 » by Illuminaire » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm a fan of Jeff Van Gundy. But I don't want the incumbent GM making ANY coaching decisions. Fire Ernie first, then let the new guy decide on the coaching situation.
closg00
RealGM

Post#20 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:23 am

At-least this hasn't happened to Randy.
http://nba.si.com/2012/11/23/detroit-pi ... nba_t2_a11

Return to Washington Wizards