ImageImageImageImageImage

Novakain......

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

knicknack
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Novakain...... 

Post#1 » by knicknack » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:21 am

I love Novak to death, and we all know he may be the worst defensive player in the league! Yeah I know he tries but I can' help but notice his style of defense is.......fr lack of a better word DEFENSELESS!!! The fact remains that he is a liability that we cannot afford when he is not hitting his shots and lately he is not, I'm not going to go into statistics but he stops no one and he doesn't rebound, its like the Knis are playing 4 againt 5 when he is on the floor, both on defense and on offense during these times. I've been watching him closely when h is on the foor and I can actualy see any player which he guards just drives right past him to the basket or to the paint and passes for a layup or short jumper. He does't switch well on defense due to his severe lack of agiltilty, awareness,etc.

I can just imagine the opposing team's gameplan (when he is on the floor) is to attack him every chance they get. Overall, having him in for long stretches at a time often gives the opposition a chance to get back in the game or certainly close the gap. I've replayed many plays with him as he seems to frequently look like he is stumbling over his own two feet trying to guard somebdy. This feels like something which may be concerning giving our lack of size, I did notice, Woodson not playing him down the stretch tonight on defense. Just something I wondered if anyone else has been noticing.

Thoughts?
Jezus
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Re: Novakain...... 

Post#2 » by Jezus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:33 am

We never have relied on Novak for his D anyway. But the fact that he couldn't hit those three's which he would usually make prior to the playoff last season creates a hole to the team on the court. Really really hope he snaps out of it and return to his usual self soon.
knicknack
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by knicknack » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:46 am

Jezus wrote:We never have relied on Novak for his D anyway. But the fact that he couldn't hit those three's which he would usually make prior to the playoff last season creates a hole to the team on the court. Really really hope he snaps out of it and return to his usual self soon.

I hope he does as well, he looks like he really puts in the effort but its just not there for him right now, he'll get his shot back. I woud'nt mind so muchi if he wasn't useless every where else. We can't afford to play 4 against 5 against any team.....ever!
JustaKnickFan
Analyst
And1: 1,071

Post#4 » by JustaKnickFan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:44 pm

I wouldn't say he's the worst defensive player in the year. He's not great at D, but it's not as bad as it was in previous years. I think Novak is just going through a slump and is still getting used to his new fast-release shot(which i love).

If there's one other area of his game I think Novak needs to work on, it's rebounding. Knicks could really use someone who can get more some boards right now.
BOOMbip
Banned User
And1: 170
Location: The views expressed are intended for entertaiment purposes only

Post#5 » by BOOMbip » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:51 pm

His defense is surely gawdawful but when he's hitting shots it's easy enough to hide in spurts. Although he's been shooting at almost a Gallo-like %, well maybe not that bad but pretty close, so his defensive ineptitude is more obvious.

I'm not anywhere near concerned about him yet but I have to wonder at what point do we start to get concerned about him and his contract if he continues to be just an average shooter...and as bad as he has been that's what he is with the 35% 3pt shooting... just average. He got paid for being an exceptional shooter, not because he is able to do anything else, if he isn't shooting well, since he isn't doing anything else, when do we have to stop giving him a free pass from criticism?
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#6 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Novak is just in a slump.

But 47% from three wasn't sustainable.

I knew he'd come down some.

Sent from my Asus TR700T-B1-GR using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,540

Post#7 » by ctorres » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Slump may be a blessing in disguise. Eventually teams might start to leave him wide open and it will be then that he gains his stroke back.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#8 » by magnumt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 pm

At times our fanbase is a joke. Yiu fools turn on a dude or team faster than a trick can turn a dime on her overused cooch. :nonono:

Give me a f'n break here. The guy keeps the OPPOSITION'S defense honest. He always commands at least one defender on him. Defenses are playing him much harder and tigther this year than last. His release is also quicker. All of that takes time.

Even guys like Reggie, Kerr, Tim (from ESPN and TNT) would hit slumps. Jodie Meeks isn't exactly lighting it up this year bro.

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
projectpaki
Pro Prospect
And1: 45

Post#9 » by projectpaki » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Can't wait when Amare and Shump to come back, it should push Novak out of the rotation. His shooting has been horrendous as of late and his inability to get open and create his own shot makes him a liability on the offensive end. Maybe its our own fault, we should have him running around 3/4 screens to get him open a la Ray Allen or Reggie Miller but I don't think he's fast enough for that. And defensively, he let Jay Crowder look like there were 2 OJ Mayo's in that game. Ok, you weren't able to fight over the screen, and never told anyone to rotate, but the second and even third time??

On a side note, what is the timetable on Amare's return?
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#10 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Novak is what he is: the best shooter in the league. This summer he trained harder than ever on adding other elements to his game. This has taken it's toll on his muscle memory. It looks to me like he is overthinking his shooting.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#11 » by TheBigBoss » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:42 pm

If Novak had been shooting like last year, I think we would be undefeated right now tbh.
Massimo
Banned User
And1: 68

Post#12 » by Massimo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:49 pm

projectpaki wrote:Can't wait when Amare and Shump to come back, it should push Novak out of the rotation. His shooting has been horrendous as of late and his inability to get open and create his own shot makes him a liability on the offensive end. Maybe its our own fault, we should have him running around 3/4 screens to get him open a la Ray Allen or Reggie Miller but I don't think he's fast enough for that. And defensively, he let Jay Crowder look like there were 2 OJ Mayo's in that game. Ok, you weren't able to fight over the screen, and never told anyone to rotate, but the second and even third time??

On a side note, what is the timetable on Amare's return?

Exactly. We should think about waiving him too. He has been playing badly on 10 games so far. I mean think about it, 10 GAMES. I believe players cannot play 10 bad games. Since they are making millions, they should be playing perfect all the time.

You're right. His shoots are not banking anymore plus he has been slacking for 10 games. I don't care what he did last year, I don't care how many games he won for us. All i care is the 10 games that he played in this season.

This message includes so much sarcasm.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#13 » by Pharmcat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:51 pm

He will be fine
He just needs to get his stroke back
Btw cant team play zone d to mask his weakness
knicknack
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by knicknack » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Novak is just in a slump.

But 47% from three wasn't sustainable.

I knew he'd come down some.

Sent from my Asus TR700T-B1-GR using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2

Yeah he is in a slump but I used to ball in Coney Island (C.I.) and I can tell an ackward looking player when I see one, he just looks to me to have no body rythem or fluidity to him, players go by him like he's not even there, I believe he doesn't rebound well because he has no timing and no real feal for body contact, just watch him when he tries to box someone out, he looks like he's working so hard but he is rarely effective at sealing his man and often stumbles about when someone moves around him when while making contact with him. I am convinced he can't dance. At times I can even see the other team looking for him to attack on defense, I even heard the game announcer last night (I believe the guy who was working with D. Harper) say the Mav player just went right by Novak like he wasn't there and another time he said Novak had a defensive mismatch with the backup he was trying to cover. Anyway, to me, he looks like the last player chosen in the park because you need a even number of players to play and he was the only one in the park (playing handball or something) at the time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 705

Post#15 » by pwayknicks » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 pm

He will most likely be out of the rotation when Amare gets back..
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
knicknack
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by knicknack » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Pharmcat wrote:He will be fine
He just needs to get his stroke back
Btw cant team play zone d to mask his weakness

I think they do at times but when someone breaks down the defense, he goes into his matador D and either doesn't make a play of isn't quick enough to get back to his player which he left or the player he should rotate to....on top of that he won't he go after the board, he immediately tries to back away or run down court and ait in the corner. To make matters worse, I often see when we have the ball and are passing it around the perimeter, the ball handler will look in his direction and pass the ball away from him unless he is wide open, this is do to his poor ball handling skills and failure to create his own shot, i.e. dribble and shoot. Last night, I saw him dribble to his left just inside the three point line and shoot....he wasn't even close, I know he is in a slump but its not just missing shots, he looks terrible while trying to play, maybe he is trying to develop more of his game but its not working, he should have known this over the summer. This is troubling in tight games, I don't think we can afford to play him in these times, especially if we are not making shots as a team. For the minutes he is on the floor his production is not impressive at all at this time.
KnickswiththeKnack
Starter
And1: 348

Post#17 » by KnickswiththeKnack » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:41 pm

As far as his shooting, he's really overthinking things at the moment. As is Prigs. I'm sure they'll find their way. In the meantime, he definitely keeps defenses honest. Like I said in another thread, no one wants to be the guy that Novak burned for 20.
"...and now aaaaaaalll the Knicks with the knack" - Walt "Clyde" Frazier
BOOMbip
Banned User
And1: 170
Location: The views expressed are intended for entertaiment purposes only

Post#18 » by BOOMbip » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Again I will repeat he got his $4mil per for 4 years for him to be an exception shooter not to be an average shooter who contributes nothing else and is in fact a liability when he's in there not making shots. Grunnie structured his contract very nicely though so he won't be impossible to move if he continues to 'overthink' his shots year after year.

Blame Hopla? LOL
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#19 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm pretty tired of hearing that this knick or that knick is the "worst defensive player in the league"

I've heard that about aout a dozen Knicks over the years. Strangely they are only that in ny. Lee, frye, randolph, Jamal, etc all seem to have made an explosive growth in their defensive ability just by leaving this team
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#20 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:23 am

He'll start hitting his shots soon. In the meantime we're, what, 8-2?

"Duh Winning"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.

Return to New York Knicks