Re: Predict the Eastern Conference Standings 

Post#381 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:13 pm

:rockon:
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#382 » by Knighthonor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:09 am

looking back at this thread, many of you all have to admit, you also believe EG's decisions on roster was a playoff run team.

So honestly, many of your have no idea how to read talent.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#383 » by montestewart » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:13 am

Knighthonor wrote:looking back at this thread, many of you all have to admit, you also believe EG's decisions on roster was a playoff run team.

So honestly, many of your have no idea how to read talent.

I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man
The Consiglieri
Sixth Man
And1: 500

Post#384 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:50 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:]
by The Consiglieri on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:03 am
........... Tier 4: 10. Toronto 11. Washington 12. Cleveland 3 teams that have been struggling to rebuild for several years with middling success, all have squandered key high draft picks with suspect selections and/or trades, but all three teams are ahead of the game compared to Dumars' Pistons, and Jordan's Bobcats. I am wishy washy about where we slot in amongst the 3, I think we could finish anywhere between 9 and 12 next april, i definitely do not think we're playoff bound, i think our ceiling next year is 36-37 wins. Toronto could be a good site better, and I think Cleveland is one more year away from being a playoff contender. Tier 5: 13. Detroit 14. Orlando 15. Charlotte Orlando screwed the pooch last summer/winter when they didn't get rid of Howard at the first scent of trouble. They never should have kept him, should have moved him while he was worth something, now he has all the power, and they have none other than to make him miserable for 1 more year. They aren't going to get squat in a trade and will be worse than Charlotte in '13-'14. Detroits basically a bug slamming into a window, but were unbelievably lucky to land Drummond at their slot. That was the steal of the draft in terms of value versus slot. Charlotte is screwed till '14-'15 but they made the right pick......
I'm very comfortable with what I said back in July, and now having been dealt injuries to Wall that cost him at least 20 games, I downgraded my expectation to my original floor (32 wins at best) in an October post in this thread. I've missed many projections over the years, but like a lot of cynical fans here, I've consistently won big betting the low end of win totals with the Wizards/Boulez. Knights Honor, a few of the fans here are just wild optimists, and some of us probably appear geniuses now in our low expectations though admittedly there will be a year someday when we are surprised and totally off in our expectations, even a broken clock is right twice a day afterall, I just don't expect that to happen soon. Also like that I nailed Drummond :). Loved him and I was incensed that the Pistons got that freaking lucky. Got a guy with a 50/50 shot at being the 2nd best player out of this draft, maybe the best, and a legit franchise player in Drummond at that freaking slot? So insane. Why don't we ever get that lucky?

Never ceases to amaze me how all fan bases have that same dynamic, at the redskins forum we are all celebrating RG3, but while I and some others never got too low during the October slump, or too high with the wins, other sets either always stayed hypercynical, or compmletely ride the roller coaster of ups and downs that come with wins and losses and as a result, now have playoff stars in their eyes (pure fantasy, the Colts schedule was so friendly in the second half, that in an article i wrote for the sports jam three weeks ago, i argued the Colts would shock the world and finish with the 6 seed by seasons end, the redskins schedule was and is just too difficult, and the defense simply sucks far too much to allow it). I tend to be a realist who can run a little too cynical, but when we landed RG3, I became essentially a positivist. I don't care what the record is in '12, with RG3, the future is assured, so long as the offseason player hauls aren't complete disasters the next several years. Why? Simple, QB play now dominates and dictates who wins and who doesn't in the league. Rules changes the past 15 years or so have gifted teams with franchise QB's playoff runs like clockwork, and franchise QB's have owned the final four and the super bowl participants year in and year out (it's darn near impossible to think of any NFL team w/o a franchise QB that didn't immediately start making the playoffs consistently within 2 years of drafting him). So now, one of the most cynical redskin fans on the planet is one of the rare positivists.

Why not with the Boulez? Well, like the rest of the Chicken Little Cynical Contingent, when I see a team consistently unlucky with the lottery, dumber than hell with draft day decisions, and absolutely moronic with trades, I tend to have exceptionally low expectations until I consistently see proof that that view is logically unreasonable.

A franchise that dumped a first rounder for 4 games from Mark Price, that went old and small for young and big twice, in franchise busting, all world dumb arse trades (Webber for Richmond, Wallace for Strick), that even ditched a future elite big man for an AARP big man ready to pack it in (Wallace for Austin), that traded Rubio/Curry for Minnesota's trash, and traded a massive pile of cap room for two of the worst ten contracts in the NBA?!?!?! Why on earth would anyone be won over to pollyana-ish expectations with a team this moronic, and hopeless, where from the HC, to management, to possibly scouts, and definitely ownership is hapless and hopeless, and possibly even worse than the Pollin regime (at least the Pollin regime wasn't even really trying, the idiots running this titanic into an iceberg every offseason appear to actually be trying).

Nah, at the end of the day to have any decent expectations for this disaster, i need a second offseason where good decisions are made during the rebuild (so far we are 1 for 4 in rebuild offseasons, with '09 being camouflaged by a halfwitted idiot trade which sabotaged year 1, '11 botched by the Vesely pick, and '12 at least half-botched by an equally idiotic trade as '09), and the idiots who are sinking the good ship lollipop every year heaved overboard so we can build anew with a YOUNG, HUNGRY, INTELLIGENT, HIGHLY MOTIVATED front office. Until then I have no faith in this disaster period.
The Consiglieri
Sixth Man

Post#385 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:32 pm

There is one positive so far anyway, and that's that we've maxed out in losses with Wall gone so far. An absolute disaster this year would have been a 37-40 win season where we stopped improving, and weren't attractive enough to lure free agents, or bad enough to land a difference maker in the draft. This doesn't feel like a draft where we'll land a franchise player, but it does appear to be one where we can land another second tier complimentary "good" and possibly "very good" player, there appear to be at least possibly five or six of them. The unfortunate reality though is that will we be bad enough with Wall and Nene to still hold onto a top 3-4 pick pre-lottery? I have my doubts, I still feel that with Nene and Wall, this team is basically a .400 to .450 team, which has me thinking the team will probably win 28-32 games if they stay healthy in the final 65 games or so. Unfortunately that would slot us 5-8 pre-lottery.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#386 » by montestewart » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Yes! A great season would dump EG, get a new and bold GM who makes deadline deals to shed albatross contracts and procure future assets, while the on court play (due to injuries to Wall and Nene) insures a horrible record and good draft position, with wall and Nene returning @ 100% and Beal finding his game very late in the season, thus making Wall, Nene, Beal, and a top pick an attractive core to a difference making (as opposed to marquee) FA or two. I believe the single largest barrier to DC being an attractive NBA FA destination is the sports media documentation of the bumbling Wizards ownership/management.
The Consiglieri
Sixth Man

Post#387 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Pretty much, but there's also the fact that the team itself has sucked since Kobe was 9 years old. There is no "Wizards/Bullets" history to NBA players. It's a non-entity as a franchise to players. Any new player in the league basically views New York, Brooklyn, Boston, Miami, Philadelphia, Dallas, Chicago, San Antonio, and Los Angeles as the only teams that either have history or winning to recommend them. OKC is the new kid on the block. Washington is a colossal joke. The horrible history, lack of any reputation other than one analgous to the Bucs in football, Pirates and Indians in baseball, and Cardinals and Browns in football insures it isn't attractive, add to that player logic, they know the team is lined up to pick top 5-10 every single year save for '05-'08 since Reagan was president ('97 exempted), and the team is an abject joke.

Your FA strategy won't work, in the end, we just need to get another pair of good youong players via the draft, or one in the draft and one traded for, then we should move to mediocre, and we can start trying to market ourselves as something other than a place to retire with your last NBA paycheck.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#388 » by noworriesinmd » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:35 am

I'm tired of people saying Washington is not a destination.
We have a freakin Black President. Most of the league is African American. What team could get highly professional and mature basketball player a pickup game with the President? Only the Wiz.
A "Lebron-type/level" player comes to mind. I'm not talking about an immature player.
This is the top city for singles. Our Strip Club scene is getting better (ask Blatche). There is a lot of wealth.
They can either have a pimp pad in VA (Old Towne or Ashburn) or DC (Condo behind Ritz in Gtown).
A lot of good players have DMV connections (Durant). This is an International city that can help your brand.
I'm tired of people saying DC is not a destination.
Brooklyn used to be a joke until they got a Russian Billionaire and Jay-Z.
This franchise is a joke because the owner and FO all allow it to be.
I'm tired of hearing Dc can't be a FA destination...you just need the right swag.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#389 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:10 am

montestewart wrote:
Nivek wrote:I think Booker suffers from the "he looks funny for a basketball player" malady. He looks more like a defensive end than a PF. His blockiness belies how quick/fast he is, and how well he jumps. I agree that he's a better player than he gets credit for.

Balzac on Booker:
How strange! In every great man whose portrait I have remarked, the neck is short. Perhaps nature requires that in them the heart should be nearer to the brain!

Spoken by the title character in Louis Lambert

How'd I miss this post?

You go Monte -- I'm a huge Balzac fan. I can't believe another living person in America has read Louis Lambert!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#390 » by Nivek » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Ahem, there are at least two other living persons in America who has read Louis Lambert.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#391 » by montestewart » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm guessing, based on this coincidence, that a club (with dues and such) is in order.

The line pulled didn't stick out too much in the array of observations In Balzac's novel, but was quoted in Crome Yellow also. It does seem to apply to Booker and similar players.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#392 » by closg00 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 am

Detroit started the year a close second to us for worst team, now they are starting to gel, they had six players in double figures tonight, they could catch that 8th spot.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#393 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Wallbeliever Thu Jul 26, 2012 wrote:1. Miami
2. Indiana
3. New Jersey
4. New York
5. Boston
6. Chicago
7. Washington
8. Atlanta

9. Milwaukee
10. Orlando
11. Toronto
12. Philadelphia
13. Detroit
14. Cleveland
15. Charlotte

With the trade deadline just past, this is a good time to take a snap shot.

WB did a nice job or predicting where the top teams would be.

Washington would very likely be right up there at 7th if it wasn't for the Wall injury and Nene not resting up to heal his foot over the summer.

Missed a little more with the bottom group. Orlando started pretty strong but most predicted they would be bottom 2 along with Charlotte.

Trade deadline.

MIL made a trade to help them with their playoff push. They may actually make it.
TOR got Gay so that changes their projection up.

I didn't expect D Rose would play this year. If he does, clearly Chicago will get a boast. They have done really well consider Rose has been out.
closg00
RealGM

Post#394 » by closg00 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Look at the Pacers over the last 12 games or so, they have been quietly kicking-ass, their losses have been OT losses and a 1-point loss.
http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... ana-pacers
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#395 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:54 pm

So what do folks have a second half predictions now that injuries are more clear and teams have new players.

I didn't expect D Rose back this year. Still not clear that he will return. Man, his older brother really put him in a bad spot.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/ ... tor-return
closg00
RealGM

Post#396 » by closg00 » Tue Jul 9, 2013 12:13 am

nate33 wrote:There have been a ton of moves this offseason, which will disrupt the status quo in the Eastern Conference. Can you predict the final standings at the end of the season?

Here's a breakdown of the major changes to help get things started:

LOCK TO MAKE PLAYOFFS:

Miami - added Ray Allen

Boston - added Jason Terry and Jeff Green. Sullinger may help as well. Lost Ray Allen. They might not finish as a top 3 team because Pierce and Garnett are going to take it easy during the regular season, but they'll surely make the playoffs.

Indiana - Swapped Augustin for Collison. Added Mahinmi and Gerald Green to bolster the depth. They have a balanced, deep, and fairly young roster that looked like the 3rd best team in the East last year.

LIKELY TO MAKE PLAYOFFS:

New Jersey - Williams, Johnson, Wallace, Humphries, Lopez is an extremely strong starting 5. Their only weakness is depth. An injury up front could derail them.

New York - Added Raymond Felton, Jason Kidd, Ronnie Brewer and Marcus Camby while losing Lin and Fields. While Melo and Amare aren't ideal teammates because both are no-D ball-dominators, their chemistry should improve a little with more time together. If Chandler gets hurt, their defense could suck bad enough to miss the playoffs. Otherwise, they'll make it.

Atlanta - lost Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams and Kent Hinrich. Added Lou Williams and Kyle Korver. They look a bit worse this year, but probably not so much worse that they'll miss the playoffs altogether.

ON THE BUBBLE

Philly - lost Lou Williams and Brand. Added Nick Young, Dorrell Wright, and Kwame. They went just 15-22 over the second half of the season after starting out 20-9.

Chicago - no Derrick Rose for most of the season. Thibs kept the team together with smoke and mirrors, but can he do it another year? Also, the injury prone Deng will endure more wear and tear during the Olympics, and they lost Asik, Brewer and Korver while adding a washed up Hinrich.

Washington - No need to rehash this in detail. The Wizards added Okafor, Ariza and Beal to a team that fared pretty well after the Nene trade.

Orlando - Lost Ryan Anderson. Added nobody of relevance. Howard is coming off of back surgery and his antics are a huge distraction. Nevertheless, any team with Howard is a fair bet to make the playoffs.

Milwaukee - Made the Bogut for Ellis trade last year and shored up their hole at center this offseason by adding Dalembert. The also drafted Doron Lamb who may be one of the few rookies to have an immediate impact. They lost Livingston.

LONGSHOTS FOR PLAYOFFS

Toronto - Added Lowry, Fields and Valanciunus. Lowry can play but I don't think the other additions will make all that much difference right away. Young bigs like Valanciunus rarely help a team win much, even if they post good numbers. Fields is an overrated role player.

NO CHANCE FOR THE PLAYOFFS

Detroit - Lost Ben Gordon. Added Drummond and Maggette who might hurt more than they help. Detroit is looking to make an impact next year so might eventually decide to tank once this season becomes a lost cause.

Cleveland - Kyrie Irving is good, but nobody else on their roster is.

Charlotte - They're still a long way away.

Will you be doing a 2013 version of this thread Nate?

Return to Washington Wizards