Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

IS he an NBA...

Small Foward
21%
Power Forward
79%

Total votes: 14

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#1 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:40 pm

What is his best position to play in the NBA?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:48 pm

I think the choice is easy. PF. he's got legit shot blocking and rebounding skills. he might be 6'8-6'8.5 but he's got a 7'3 wingspan, natural body strength, and the frame to point on more weight on his already 235-240 lb frame. he's shown that he can play physically as well.
his handle is still really weak, and although he can knock down the outside jumper, that's pretty much all he can do 3 pt line extended.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#3 » by boogie-reke » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Really hope we get him to the Kings.

Don't need him to do much more then hit the 3pt shot and run the floor early and can let his offense at the SF develop and I think his activity/hustle/athletic ability will help him create enough of offense from garbage plays, and defensively he's a good type of tweener.
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#4 » by teamjosh04 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:27 am

He wants to be a SF, but he is a power forward. He has a long ways to go in terms of ball handling if he wanted to make the jump to the perimeter and it would take away some of his biggest strengths.

http://nbaprospects.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... north.html
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#5 » by Elden Payton » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:50 am

He's a power forward.

He thinks he is a small forward though.
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#6 » by Greek » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:06 am

Is josh Smith good comparison for him?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#7 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 am

Greek wrote:Is josh Smith good comparison for him?

Yea, a mix between Smith and Beasley, he's a much better shooter than Josh at his age.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:39 pm

kinda. i mean they're both run/jump athletic physical specimens. tony has a naturally stronger, more muscular build, especially up top. he looks like he weighs more than josh does right now. he's got longer arms and bigger hands than josh. he has a better shooting touch. i think he has more potential as a rebounder and inside physical presence. hopefully these 2 years of college will lead to him becoming a smarter player as well. imo, if he became another josh smith, then he wouldn't have lived up to his potential.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#9 » by EddieJonesFan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

He's far more dynamic as a PF who can stretch the offense, and it keeps him down low as a shot blocker and rebounder.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,078

Post#10 » by hcsilla » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:17 pm

I would rather say a bit less explosive version of Kenyon Martin from the Kidd-era in New Jersey.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#11 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:25 pm

PF on most teams, but I think the Cavs draft him to be their SF cause of his reb, blk, stl and efficiency numbers makes him a perfect fit for the Cavs advanced metrics surprise pick of 2013
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#12 » by No-Man » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:02 am

Dr Positivity wrote:PF on most teams, but I think the Cavs draft him to be their SF cause of his reb, blk, stl and efficiency numbers makes him a perfect fit for the Cavs advanced metrics surprise pick of 2013

It's a bad fit for the Cavs next to TThompson and Varejao, that frontcourt would be awful, maybe with another PF it could work, or with Zeller if they trade Varejao, but not like this.

Poythress is the guy for Cleveland, no doubt.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#13 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:02 am

ManualRam wrote:

kinda. i mean they're both run/jump athletic physical specimens. tony has a naturally stronger, more muscular build, especially up top. he looks like he weighs more than josh does right now. he's got longer arms and bigger hands than josh. he has a better shooting touch. i think he has more potential as a rebounder and inside physical presence. hopefully these 2 years of college will lead to him becoming a smarter player as well. imo, if he became another josh smith, then he wouldn't have lived up to his potential.

Josh Smith was the best player on a top 4 seed last year.

Kind of doubting that Tony Mitchell gets to that level.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#14 » by ManualRam » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:13 am

Jazzfan12 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

Josh Smith was the best player on a top 4 seed last year.

Kind of doubting that Tony Mitchell gets to that level.

i'm not, but then again i still don't think josh smith is that good of a basketball player despite his gaudy numbers.
9 yrs later he still doesn't box out, still can't shoot and he's still a poor decision maker.
if tony embraces the physicality of big man play, i think his ceiling is higher than the player that josh smith is today.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#15 » by EB2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Does anyone have an idea of how Mitchell's defense will translate to the NBA at the 4 spot?
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#16 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:34 am

Powerforward.

His ballhandling skills and jumper aren't good enough to be a SF.
JimboSlice
Senior
And1: 16

Post#17 » by JimboSlice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Power Forward for sure. He's got almost none of the tools to be an effective 3, and all of them except height to be effective at the 4 (which I never thought mattered as much as wingspan anyway). As far as his defense, I think it will definitely translate to the next level. Unlike a good majority of shot blocking college bigs that don't have the same success at the pro level, he does a great job of staying down on pump fakes and challenging around the rim with foot positioning as opposed to his hands even at this early a stage in his development. He also isn't relying on height, unlike most college shot blocking bigs, and is instead relying strictly on positioning, timing, and freak athleticism to put up very solid numbers despite being undersized.
Thou Shalt Not Shave
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:19 pm

this kid is doing what i hope he wouldnt do and is ruining his stock because of it.
rebounds are down and 3's are up. yep, this kid is trying to show his "SF" skills.
time to push him down my big board.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#19 » by EB2 » Sat Dec 1, 2012 3:42 am

ManualRam wrote:this kid is doing what i hope he wouldnt do and is ruining his stock because of it.
rebounds are down and 3's are up. yep, this kid is trying to show his "SF" skills.

It's weird. His turnovers per game are down too, so he is improving his game somewhat.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#20 » by EddieJonesFan » Sat Dec 1, 2012 11:33 pm

ManualRam wrote:this kid is doing what i hope he wouldnt do and is ruining his stock because of it.

That's what it seems like all the young players are doing now, they all want to be perimeter players. It just isn't sexy to play down low. Basketball is moving in the wrong direction.

Return to NBA Draft