#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Re: Mike D'Antoni press conference 

Post#22 » by GAME TIME » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 pm

TyCobb wrote:
GAME TIME wrote:I would want to post up if they have the right match up or draw doubles to get someone open. Dan Tony needs to recognize the strengths of his new team. Howard, Pau, Kobe and even Peace with mismatches can post up. I'm assuming he means he would rather have movement to get the bigs in good position for an high efficiency shot, but I hope he explores the weapons he has , because of their versatlity.

It's interesting to see that this old, slow team with a dominant center and Kobe Bryant is better suited for Mike over Phil.

YES true.

This is mainly imo a move to use Steve Nash into this system on what he can do his best, which is play make. So I think it's more of a Steve Nash move than anything else, when they said that they thought Dan Tony is a better fit for this team right now. The NBA has changed over the years, with smaller, faster teams that spread the court. Spurs made the change and it's helped them. I think the Lakers can do the same, because of Howard being able to move with his size along with Gasol. It's just a matter of hoping Dan Tony gets this team peaking when it counts, and not wear out, in which Phil understood.
GAME TIME
Banned User

Post#23 » by GAME TIME » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:49 pm

Kilroy wrote:Is anybody else getting the vibe that Nash is basically coaching the offense from this?

It's a really weird dynamic... All of a sudden, it's almost like it's Steve Nash's team and Kobe's almost a role-player...

Mike seemed to talk about Nash and Dwight, and the rest.

For the record, I don't have much of a problem with that... It's just a big departure at least on the surface...

He was on a Nash rush :lol:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#24 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm fine with Nash being unleashed as our floor-General... That's as it should be...

But I'm not so sure about just letting him figure out how to utilize guys like Kobe, Dwight, Pau and MWP, when they're all on the floor at the same time...

And we still want Kobe to be Kobe... Just more efficiently.

What I'm not getting is any kind of recognition from D'Antoni, that as great as his offenses were, whether they were run by Nash or not, those TEAMS still had significant flaws... And adding more scoring talent wasn't one of them.

OK... Defense will take care of itself... Let's say I can sorta see that... But what if it doesn't?

I like his confidence. I like the fact that he's going to let the players work to their strengths... I would just like a little recognition that what he's been doing so far, ultimately, hasn't worked. So what's he going to do now to get over that hump.

I'm all for giving him a chance, but for every game that's played, our window gets smaller.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
seoulman
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#25 » by seoulman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:14 am

I'm not a basketball x's & o's guy by any stretch of the mind. And some of you experts may be eager to point that out with this suggestion.

From what I'm understanding, MDA's system which he utilized in Phoenix is most effective when we have one PNR guy like Dwight in the middle while vacating everyone else from the middle. So what if we moved Pau to the bench and moved Antawn to the starting 4? Antawn gets to shoot the 3's. Pau is a very good center and he could play PNR with the second team. There isn't a backup Center in the NBA that could handle Pau.

With some overlap and other bench players of course, perhaps we could almost go with a deeper rotation than MDA is accustomed to and thus save some of the older legs?

1st 5
Dwight Howard
Antawn Jamison
MWP
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash

2nd 5
Pau Gasol
Jordan Hill
Devin Ebanks
Jodie Meeks
Steve Blake/Chris Duhon
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#26 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:04 am

GAME TIME wrote:
"I know that the point guard is the one running the ship, but I told Dwight today he can be in every play," D'Antoni said. "We don't call plays. So he can run down and pick the ball and he's rolling to the basket. One of the least efficient plays in basketball is just the straight post-up. It's just not efficient. ... His touches should increase, his ability to get to the rim should increase and it should be a lot easier for Dwight."

Howard's eyes seemed to widen, almost in disbelief, when he revealed Thursday that D'Antoni told the Lakers they "should be scoring 110 points a game or something like that," Howard said. The big fella should be a big part of it --- "The big man should eat," Howard said -- because he's never become a straight post-up player in the traditional sense to begin with. But he also understands that his unexpected marriage to D'Antoni and his offensive system really starts at the end of the floor Howard has dominated as the three-time defensive player of the year.

:o
I thought the same damn thing, somebody better tell MDA that the "post up" is a Laker basketball tradition. Frankly though that was kinda idiotic for Mike to say, hell the post up is the most effective set to run in ball period. It gets you a very high percentage look even from a scrub player, it keeps rebounds in an area where the bigs can battle for them, eliminates run outs and controls the tempo of games.

Sorry Mike but you don't get it bruh.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#27 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:21 am

Dwight's going to be fine. He's one of the very best pick/roll finishers in the league, if not the best. He's going to be involved plenty, especially now that Nash will be taking a bigger role. The bigger problem is going to be keeping the floor spread for those pick/rolls to work.
GAME TIME
Banned User

Post#28 » by GAME TIME » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:14 am

Can you guys think that the Lakers can beat Miami in the finals with a run and gun offense?

This would be Miami game, with the 3 point shooters that they have. I would rather slow it down and try to bully them with our bigs like the Celtics did to us in 08. I'm sure or hope they don't play at a frantic pace , because that is the Heat's game. I'm sure or again hope D'Antoni will adapt to his style of team.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#29 » by Jakay » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:31 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
GAME TIME wrote:
"I know that the point guard is the one running the ship, but I told Dwight today he can be in every play," D'Antoni said. "We don't call plays. So he can run down and pick the ball and he's rolling to the basket. One of the least efficient plays in basketball is just the straight post-up. It's just not efficient. ... His touches should increase, his ability to get to the rim should increase and it should be a lot easier for Dwight."

Howard's eyes seemed to widen, almost in disbelief, when he revealed Thursday that D'Antoni told the Lakers they "should be scoring 110 points a game or something like that," Howard said. The big fella should be a big part of it --- "The big man should eat," Howard said -- because he's never become a straight post-up player in the traditional sense to begin with. But he also understands that his unexpected marriage to D'Antoni and his offensive system really starts at the end of the floor Howard has dominated as the three-time defensive player of the year.

:o
I thought the same damn thing, somebody better tell MDA that the "post up" is a Laker basketball tradition. Frankly though that was kinda idiotic for Mike to say, hell the post up is the most effective set to run in ball period. It gets you a very high percentage look even from a scrub player, it keeps rebounds in an area where the bigs can battle for them, eliminates run outs and controls the tempo of games.

Sorry Mike but you don't get it bruh.

I gotta disagree to a certain extent. For Kobe and Pau, sure. Dwight sucks at a traditional post up, because that's just not his game really, made worse by all his missed FTs. But the rebounds on post ups usually don't go in the offenses favour. In that regard, reckless long bombs do because they're much more random and kick further back into the court which gives the offense way more of a chance to get it, as boxing out and having the defence collapsing isn't the name of the game at that point.

Kobe and Pau are the only two really good post up scorers, and in that respect it's a high percentage shot. Dwight... hes okay at it, and he needs to operate down that low, but he doesn't have a traditional post up game, that's for sure, even if he can't shoot from ten feet out.
Mass Rig
Senior
And1: 264

Post#30 » by Mass Rig » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 am

minifang wrote:He just seems so much more knowledgeable about the game than Brown. It's natural to him and Brown often had to "think" or so it seemed.

He played under some great coaches while in Italy, and was a great PG himself.
PurpleGold
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#31 » by PurpleGold » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:31 am

Jakay wrote:
I gotta disagree to a certain extent. For Kobe and Pau, sure. Dwight sucks at a traditional post up, because that's just not his game really, made worse by all his missed FTs. But the rebounds on post ups usually don't go in the offenses favour. In that regard, reckless long bombs do because they're much more random and kick further back into the court which gives the offense way more of a chance to get it, as boxing out and having the defence collapsing isn't the name of the game at that point.

Kobe and Pau are the only two really good post up scorers, and in that respect it's a high percentage shot. Dwight... hes okay at it, and he needs to operate down that low, but he doesn't have a traditional post up game, that's for sure, even if he can't shoot from ten feet out.

Dwight definitely does not "suck" at traditional post ups... He actually posts a higher PPP than Bynum when posting up, and shoots a higher percentage too. He's obviously not as smooth down there, nor does he have a huge arsenal of moves like Pau/Bynum. but it works, and it works very well.

His FT shooting IS painful to watch though, to say the least.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers