Rubio Thread Seis (VI)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Lucky Striker
Banned User
And1: 8

Rubio could return to the Minnesota Timberwolves early 

Post#401 » by Lucky Striker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm

http://alturl.com/5jm92

Couldn't find the Rubio thread, so I am posting this Kelly Dwyer column from Yahoo on here for now. Feel free to move it, if necessary.

After an impressive 5-2 start without All-Star Kevin Love and various other injured rotation helpers, the Minnesota Timberwolves have lost five straight. Three of those five have even come with Love in the lineup, as he returned surprisingly early (to some medical reports, at least) after breaking his left hand during training camp last Wednesday. Every win counts, badly, in the Western conference — as just two and a half games separate the fourth and 13th spots in the playoff bracket after nearly a month of play.

Making this news go down a little easier is an aside from Timberwolves beat writer Jerry Zgoda, who pointed out that second year guard Ricky Rubio may return earlier than expected as well from his time spent on the shelf. Writing for the Star-Tribune, Zgoda points out that the expected Christmastime return of the Spanish guard from his ACL tear may be moved up a bit:

David Kahn said he still isn't putting a timetable on Rubio's return, as he hasn't done all along.

But there's no question Rubio's return is getting closer, maybe closer than expected, particularly if you weren't expecting him back until Christmas or later.

He's been working out quite vigorously on his own before games -- just saw him working up a sweat shooting and doing other drills -- and it's certainly possible he could be back in a game perhaps even sometime that first week of December, or shortly thereafter..

After watching Damian Lillard and Wes Matthews torch the Wolves Friday night in Portland, they could certainly use his defense.

Zgoda also mentions that an upcoming doctor's visit for Love in Vail, Colo. could result in the point guard being cleared for full-contract practice as early as this Thursday. That would put him back in an NBA practice, if not a game, eight months and three weeks following the tear that occurred on Mar. 9. It's important to note that this report is coming from the Star-Tribune's various sources and the observation from the writer, and not the team as an official statement, but Zgoda is a pro and doesn't let the speculation get out of hand.
Chocobanana
Lead Assistant
And1: 214

Re: Rubio could return to the Minnesota Timberwolves early 

Post#402 » by Chocobanana » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm

the team may desperately need him back, but i still hope that he takes it slow and makes sure he is completely ready.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#403 » by Esohny » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Dwyer also praised Zgoda as being a true pro in that article, so let's just say that I'm tempering my hopes.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#404 » by C.lupus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

I think mid-December has always been the unofficial target for his return so no surprise here, although it is good they aren't extending the date.

also, the Rubio thread is on the first page.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#405 » by Foye » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Hopefully he doesn't rush to come back. The worst thing right now would be if he tore his ACL again because of coming back 3 games earlier.

We desperately need him back, though.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Post#406 » by Calinks » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:10 pm

/Doesn't seem all that "early" to me./ A lot of talk was him being back around December. This summer he was starting to walk without aid again, we are about 4 weeks into the season. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in 2-4 weeks at all/.

He needs practice time and no matter what he will probably be off all season/. Its just very rare to miss that a bunch of games and get that all back unless you play a significant amount
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Lucky Striker
Banned User

Post#407 » by Lucky Striker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Do you guys think Kahn might be pushing for this return a bit early, since if this season continues as it is he'll likely be getting the axe? Or do you think that he has only Rubio's best interests at heart?
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#408 » by eyeteeth » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:50 pm

It always seemed probable that the team gave a slightly late estimate of when Rubio would be back, so him being ready a little early means he's right on time. ;)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#409 » by Calinks » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Lucky Striker wrote:Do you guys think Kahn might be pushing for this return a bit early, since if this season continues as it is he'll likely be getting the axe? Or do you think that he has only Rubio's best interests at heart?

No, I don't thin Kahn is doing this at all. I think Rubio is very anxious to play, and the team is entertaining the feasibility of the idea. The squad will start playing well again soon regardless and I think everyone has faith in that and aren't too worried about rushing the kid back early.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#410 » by andyhop » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Lucky Striker wrote:Do you guys think Kahn might be pushing for this return a bit early, since if this season continues as it is he'll likely be getting the axe? Or do you think that he has only Rubio's best interests at heart?

Kahn should really get the axe even if we win the title this season as his drafting ability is unbelievably bad
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Lucky Striker
Banned User

Post#411 » by Lucky Striker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Calinks wrote:

No, I don't thin Kahn is doing this at all. I think Rubio is very anxious to play, and the team is entertaining the feasibility of the idea. The squad will start playing well again soon regardless and I think everyone has faith in that and aren't too worried about rushing the kid back early.

This could be a very tough stretch for the Wolves. The first two games were games that were more winnable than the rest. So if they lose 8 out of the next 10, then the pressure will really be on to pull the team back into the playoff race.

I don't know if Rubio is ready, but i'm sure if you asked him he'd want to lace 'em up tomorrow and start playing. The decision comes down to the GM-- in concert with the owners-- to give the green light. That's where the question of Kahn's motivation comes into play. I think he must really want Rubio in there again to bring some energy back to the team and improve the PG situation. But its really playing with fire, as if he comes back early it could be a major blow against Rubio's career, should the knee be damaged again.

I guess its all about whether you think Kahn is a wise leader or more of a guy trying to save his job. I'd be nervous about Ricky, personally.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#412 » by Swish4 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 pm

All you can go on really is what the doctors say. As long as they go by that I have no pronlem with him coming back earlier than expected.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#413 » by Worm Guts » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:08 am

I don't think Kahn has anything to do with deciding when injured players return.
Lucky Striker
Banned User

Post#414 » by Lucky Striker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 am

Worm Guts wrote:

I don't think Kahn has anything to do with deciding when injured players return.

Team doctors get paid by the owners and will allow a player on the court if it suits the owners. Look at Brandon Roy.

The owners are influenced by their executives, especially the General Manager. So its fair to assume that Kahn has a lot to do with the timing of a player returning to the court.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#415 » by Worm Guts » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 am

Roy's decision was his own, not a doctors or Kahns. Neither an owner or Kahn has anything to do with when players return.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#416 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:12 am

The teams problems are bigger than Rubio. Rubio coming back isn't some guaranteed panacea. Especially a Rubio that has missed a year of basketball. I don't think Kahn is banking on that, if we are, then this team is in dire straights. The players have to step up, early in the year they were playing great basketball. Coaching staff has to turn it around and players have to respond. Two weeks ago everyone and their grandma was swearing up and down that this was a playoff team. Now people are talking about Rubio being out only hope. What happened to all the "This team is way better than anything we put on the floor last year!" talk? Have you lost all faith so quickly?
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Re: Rubio Thread Seis (VI) 

Post#417 » by NewWolvesOrder » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:31 am

Ugly ball-hogging monster has poisoned team chemistry.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#418 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:28 am

Turnover_21 wrote:Ugly ball-hogging monster has poisoned team chemistry.

Nah, that's not be a real problem, he's talented, he will adjust his game to the team needs. The problem is untalented starting backcourt, they can't do any better than this. Thank God Sacramento has below average backcourt as well, so we can win the next one.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#419 » by Dewey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 am

Lucky Striker wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Team doctors get paid by the owners and will allow a player on the court if it suits the owners. Look at Brandon Roy.

The owners are influenced by their executives, especially the General Manager. So its fair to assume that Kahn has a lot to do with the timing of a player returning to the court.

blah ... blah blah blah .. blah blah
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Yes We Kahn
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#420 » by Yes We Kahn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:58 am

His surgeon in Vail is not paid by Glen Taylor and he is the one who decides when it is appropriate for Rubes to return.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves