Kemba v Knight.

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: Kemba v Knight. 

Post#21 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:06 am

KembaWalker wrote:
Sik Infant wrote:What makes you think Knight will peak as slightly above average?

especially when he's struggling so greatly to even reach "average" level production especially in this era of PGs. Its hard to come up with 5 starting PGs that are worse than Knight. Jameer I guess, even though he just outplayed Knight. maybe Isaiah Thomas

i read this thread as Bobcat fans were trolling the piston board and brought up how many ppl on the PC board have kemba/knight. After reading this thread the only thing that is clear is that no one gives a sh* about the Bobcats or Pistons. As well as a "personal Foul....on Sik Infant........for reaching"

Its funny how hot streaks can turn fan's delusional. Seems like Kemba fans need some comfort and reassurance that Kemba's going to be a good pg. I don't really give a sh* about the Bobcats, but the difference between play of kemba and knight this year isn't so vast that it needs to be debated. As other Unbiased poster said its way too early to tell.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#22 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 am

-Kees- wrote:Last year, I'll take Knight because he was realatively near the league average in scoring efficiency. This year? Kemba. But its such a small sample size, we'll have to see later on.

This
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#23 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 pm

Kemba reminds me of a potentially better Jameer Nelson in that Walker's main impact comes from him scoring the ball. Kemba needs to become a better passer.

Knight is still very raw in my eyes, but he's shown triple-double PG potential where Kemba doesn't have a chance of becoming that. It's all about focus with Knight and him being committed to keeping his turnovers low and continuing to crash the boards at a respectable rate.

I like Brandon's size and potential where as Kemba doesn't have much higher to go than maybe a Ben Gordon-type guy.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,115

Post#24 » by KembaWalker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Knight shows triple double potential

Kemba Walker already has a triple double

Kemba is a better passer than Knight, check their ast to turnover ratio

He's a better rebounder as well for his career

People always say Kemba has a low ceiling even though he keeps getting better and better every year in high school, college, and now pro.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Post#25 » by fatlever » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:08 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Knight is the better defender

i'd like to hear some more about why you suggest knight is the better defender. i am definitely not going to sit here and pretend i watch a lot of pistons games, but i can say that kemba has looked fantastic on the defensive end of the floor this year. he goes after the opposing pgs relentlessly, similar in defensive style to mike conley and eric bledsoe.

knight's defensive stats:
0.5 spg
0.2 bpg
110 defensive rating
0.1 defensive win shares
16.7 opponent production
15.9 opponent PER when playing pg
36.3 opponent PER when playing sg

kemba's defensive stats:
2.5 spg
0.4 bpg
105 defensive rating
0.3 defensive win shares
14.9 opponent production
14.0 opponent PER

unless i am missing some other defensive stats out there, kemba bests knight in every single defensive measure. sure, its only a handful of games, but i dont see how anyone can say knight is a better defender this season.

carry on...
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#26 » by Elden Payton » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Those stats are mind boggling...

How can people honestly think Knight is the better defender?
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#27 » by JustinSane » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm biased - Pistons fan.

However, I see this as fairly simple. Kemba is a better player right now. He's a scoring PG in the Marbury mold, pretty good at it, and apparently still improving. Good for him.

Knight is younger, equally quick, taller and has greater length. He has unusually strong intangibles - a Kobe like degree of dedication off the court, and he's trying very hard to be a true point guard and team leader. He does not seem to have a natural feel for the position. Everything needs to be thought through. He's a decent but streaky three point shooter and is poor at finishing near the rim. He's made impressive progress this season in assist totals and ability to run the offense. Knight looks like he's playing good defense, but the statistics do not back that up. To me, he seems like an early stage Rondo (take a look at Rondos rookie and second year stats) with less defensive potential but a better shot. I doubt he'll be as good as Rondo, but he could be if everything goes well.

So, what does your team need? If you don't already have a ball dominant player, and your offensive scheme requires one, you've got to go with Kemba. He can score, and is clutch. If you need a pure, facilitator style PG, there's a good case for Knight. Kemba right now is better. But Knight at Kemba's age may well be equal to or better than him, and in a style of play that fits some systems better than Walker's style. If the Pistons had the option right now to trade Knight for Walker I don't think they'd take it, and I wouldn't want them to. But I'm certain the reverse is true for Charlotte management and fans.

It's simply too early to tell.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#28 » by Elden Payton » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Great post JustinSane, I think as fans of our respective teams we will naturally back our players.

In response to your post Knight is one year younger and do you play the potential card when there is only one year difference in age? I believe you do with three years or so but is one enough? Kemba is better now and chances are with only one year in age on Knight he can sustain that.

Knight is quick yes but honestly Kemba is top five quickest players with the ball in hand, Ty Lawson type qickness seriously, check the thread on the GB for people's unbiased P.O.V.

Knight does have great size for his position and I honestly believe he will be an excellent combo guard in the Detroit mold. He definitely could be a Dumars type player and Dumars is an all time great imo, so yes Knight does have a high ceiling, not superstar but excellent role player, 12 year pro type stuff.

Defensively Kemba is a nightmare for the opposition and using advanced statistics is one of the best point defenders in the N.B.A.

Kemba's assist percent is 27 compared to Knight's 22, his A/TO ratio is far better also, Kemba is averaging 5.1 assists on 1.9 turnovers and Knight is averaging 6.5 assists on 3.3 turnovers, currently Knight has an A/TO rate of 1.9, Kemba's is 2.7, Kemba is the better facilitator and superior playmaker.

People say Kemba is ball dominant and that could be perceived as true following last season where Kemba and Gerald Henderson dominated the ball in every game because if they didn't we would have scored 50 points, Kemba is sharing the court with Sessions, Gordon, Gilchrist and Mullens who get more than their fair share of shots.

Speaking of intangibles Knight is a hard worker and upstanding guy who would never cause trouble for his franchise and is by all accounts a gym rat and nice guy but...We're talking about Kemba freaking Walker!! This guy is literally famous for his ability to tear out his opponents jugular while putting his team on his back and killing your fans on the last shot, he has immense heart, is a great leader, is a humble guy and has a relentless motor.

Obviously as Charlotte fans we take Kemba and you guys take Knight but the reason I started this thread is to get an unbiased P.O.V.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#29 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 am

Kemba walker tonight

0points, 2 TO, 2 Ass, 2 fouls

team loses by 45points

Knight

26points 2 ass, 5 TO, 6 rebounds

team wins .

I think this settles the argument once and for all that knight>kemba..................................my point is actually its too early too tell so ppl need to stop making crazy statements that one player is so much better than the other.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,261

Post#30 » by Mr Peanut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:34 am

Also since the last post was made in this thread, both players have played 4 games.

Knight has averaged 17.8 points on 53.1% shooting and 58.9% from 3 point land playing 30.5 minutes a game.

Kemba has averaged 11.8 points on 31.5% shooting and 20.0% from 3 point land playing 37.5 minutes a game.

Go figure.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#31 » by KembaWalker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:46 pm

lol even with Kembas bad few games he's still having a better season than Knight. Dudes a scrub
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#32 » by MrBigShot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 pm

KembaWalker wrote:lol even with Kembas bad few games he's still having a better season than Knight. Dudes a scrub

Take it easy Kemba, you'll probably play better next game.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#33 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 am

KembaWalker wrote:lol even with Kembas bad few games he's still having a better season than Knight. Dudes a scrub

i love how that works, when kemba sucks he's just having a bad game, when knight sucks its because he's a scrub. LOLcats for sure
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#34 » by KembaWalker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:40 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:

i love how that works, when kemba sucks he's just having a bad game, when knight sucks its because he's a scrub. LOLcats for sure

"LOLcats" loses a lot of the sting when its coming from the fan of a team thats like 7 spots behind us in the standings :lol:

maybe the running RealGM joke aka Pistons fanbase can give me some more gems like "stuckey vs harden" "knight vs kyrie" or "we should trade Tayshaun for Rudy Gay!!" for my lmao collection. get to it bud.

ideas: Drummond vs Prime Shaq, Singler vs Bird, Jerebko vs Garnett. have fun
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#35 » by orangeparka » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:36 pm

As an unbiased fan, I gotta say Kemba, by far. Just been terrific so far and really leading his team to wins.

I mean, this is a Bobcats team that set a record for being bad last season.

This year, they're relatively the same personnel-wise other than the addition of a rookie in MKG, AND they don't even have who is arguably their best player in Hendo.

Kemba just looks like he's taking that next step this season, I dunno.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#36 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 am

KembaWalker wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

"LOLcats" loses a lot of the sting when its coming from the fan of a team thats like 7 spots behind us in the standings :lol:

maybe the running RealGM joke aka Pistons fanbase can give me some more gems like "stuckey vs harden" "knight vs kyrie" or "we should trade Tayshaun for Rudy Gay!!" for my lmao collection. get to it bud.

ideas: Drummond vs Prime Shaq, Singler vs Bird, Jerebko vs Garnett. have fun

still didn't address my point. way to deflect so you don't have to admit your wrong

additionally everyone is free to go to the piston's board and read those threads, as its not a crime to compare 2 players and debate it. But apparently the LOLcats posters dn't like difference of opinions. Stop taking threads out of context to try to sound clever, also its tacky to steal other posters jokes.

and even if we pistons finish last place this season, we can always say "at least we aren't the worst team of all time".

Back on topic

Kemba Walker tonight:

15pts(6-19). 5 reb , 5 asst, 2 TO's in 38 minutes

Brandon Knight:
19 points(8-14). 1 Reb, 6asst, 3 TO's in 24 minutes

Looks like this one goes to the scrub
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#37 » by princeofpalace » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:14 am

Updated season stats

Brandon Knight: 13 points/5.8 assists/3 boards/3 TO on 43%FG, 45% 3pt, 75% FT in 31 mpg

Kemba Walker: 17 points/5.6 assists/3 boards/2 TO on 39% FG, 22% 3pt, 80% FTin 37 mpg

Knight is still struggling with turnover's but thats the only knock on him. Kemba continues to be a very inefficient offensive player.
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#38 » by JustinSane » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:25 pm

It's worth noting that Knight is 19 months younger than Walker. If you compare Knight's stats so far this season with Walker's from last season (and note Walker still would have been, on average, close to a year older in this comparison), Knight was clearly the more efficient player. Notably, he's just more than twice as good on three point shooting (45.3% vs. 22.5%), as well as shooting an overall higher percentage. He also has the advantage in assists. It shouldn't be a surprise that Walker is the more effective player this early in both of their careers - he was more experienced coming out of college. But it's certainly plausible that Knight will eventually equal or surpass Walker, particularly given Knight's play the last 4 games. It's too early to tell, but he may have turned a corner.
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#39 » by DNice68 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Knight will be better in the long run that's all I know!
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 546
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#40 » by rrravenred » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 pm

DNice68 wrote:Knight will be better in the long run that's all I know!

Just a quick note, on the PC Board it's expected that if you have an opinion, you'll back it up with argument and evidence. This kind of post skirts the boundaries of post-padding, as discussed in the "New Rules for the Player Comparison Board" post in the announcements section.

This has been a public service announcement by the Dread Order of Evil Moderators™

ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?

Return to Player Comparisons