ImageImage

What Do You Want To Happen With Ellis?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Your Preference on What Happens With Monta Ellis

He is traded by the 12-13 deadline in a win now playoff move
21%
He is traded by the 12-13 deadline for the best possible young asset (pick and/or player)
64%
He is kept past the deadline if the team has a chance at playoffs, and opts out for 13-14
6%
He is kept past the deadline if the team has a chance at playoffs, and opts in for 13-14
5%
He is kept, opts in for 13-14 and is extended as our long-term SG this summer
4%

Total votes: 131

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

What Do You Want To Happen With Ellis? 

Post#1 » by LUKE23 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:42 pm

This can be looked at a lot of different ways. If he opts in, he arguably has more value as a trade asset, but may also mean we wait longer to move him and thus delaying addressing the SG position long-term. What's your ideal scenario regarding Ellis? There are other scenarios than the five listed, but we can start there.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Re: What Do You Want To Happen With Ellis? 

Post#2 » by tski1972 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm pretty sure Option 5 will not win this poll.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#3 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Ideally if we're playing well, he's playing well I would just assume ride it out with him this year in a wide open East (besides Miami) and then you have next offseason or season to try & trade him. For me you're basically getting some value from Ellis and it buys you time to maximize the asset.

At this point I do not want to extend him.

Best care scenario is to get a young bigger SG. I think that is a missing piece right now. Jennings, (SG), Harris, Henson, Sanders with Ersan, Udoh, Moute, possibly Lamb is a solid young core.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#4 » by LUKE23 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Mine is kind of based on different scenarios. My top preference is for him to be traded by this deadline to try and get another 1st rounder. I think our scouting has improved and it would give us another chance to add a long-term wing. If he is kept (which obviously I expect), then I'd say my preference would be an opt-in without a long-term extension, to give him IMO more trade value than what we would use his cap hold for if he walked and we signed a different realistic FA target.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,832

Post#5 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Trade, win-now. I believe this team is quite talented. They can't trade him for a good pick and they won't get a good pick themselves. I would have liked to have seen them stockpile some more high-lottery talent before making their move, but I have little doubt that they're about to start a long upswing that will see them pushing 50 wins or more in most seasons. They just need a better fit at sg.

ETA: They should package him with a young player or two. I like the young players but as they grow they will need more minutes and there won't be enough to go around. I see two starting-caliber centers, 3 starting-caliber pf's, and 2 starting-caliber sf's, counting LRMAM at both forward spots. Quality trumps quantity and they need to consolidate.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
J-Nut
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#6 » by J-Nut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Ellis for Afflalo....What do you guys think? It' would be a win now and later for the Bucks in my opinion. We'd get some much needed size in the backcourt, some better shooting (especially from distance), better defense, better rebounding and less turnovers. The rebuilding Magic would probably welcome the expiring contract of Ellis.
It's like butta baby!!!!
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#7 » by LUKE23 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Afflalo is 27, has reached his ceiling as a solid role player, and his contract isn't that great. So no.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#8 » by Nebula1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:04 pm

The Bucks are looking like a Playoff team this season (by default since Philly and Indy are hurting) so I'm thinking the Bucks will roll with him and he wil opt in for 13-14.

Ideally the Bucks would break it down and go for a top pick and that would include trading Ellis, but as it stands, it looks like Hammond and Skiles are going for it. I've actually come around on Ellis and like how he attacks, even if not very efficient. He does provide some punch for this team.

Obviously I don't want to see him extended, so I voted option two as most likely and I would like to see the Bucks make a couple trades that are Playoff-friendly.

I think this poll will show the board wants to trade him, but that doesn't appear to be the agenda for Bucks management.
J-Nut
Freshman

Post#9 » by J-Nut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm well aware that Arron Afflalo is no superstar, but I think he's more than a role player. Role players don't typically play 35+ mpg or average 15+ ppg.
It's like butta baby!!!!
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#10 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:11 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Trade, win-now. I believe this team is quite talented. They can't trade him for a good pick and they won't get a good pick themselves.

I do not see the sustainability you do with the current roster as a 50-win club for the next few years. But nonetheless also want to trade for a win now asset. We might as well enjoy this season.

During his hot streak 10-days ago, I was against trading Monta unless the deal was great. But after the last four games, I'm ready to accept a lesser return if needed in the interest of addition by subtraction. He just can't play SG. He is too small to defend them. And his handle is not strong enough to be a starting PG.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#11 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:12 pm

J-Nut wrote:Ellis for Afflalo....What do you guys think? I

Ok, this is a good thread for your post.

Yes, I'd do that deal ten times out of ten. I can't see Orlando doing it though. They need some future asset to save face from the Dwight trade.

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Post#12 » by JayMKE » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Anyone that doesn't pick option 2 has gone completely insane.
FREE GIANNIS
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#13 » by LUKE23 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:15 pm

J-Nut wrote:I'm well aware that Arron Afflalo is no superstar, but I think he's more than a role player. Role players don't typically play 35+ mpg or average 15+ ppg.

There are currently 60 players averaging 15.0+ ppg.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#14 » by emunney » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:19 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Trade, win-now. I believe this team is quite talented. They can't trade him for a good pick and they won't get a good pick themselves. I would have liked to have seen them stockpile some more high-lottery talent before making their move, but I have little doubt that they're about to start a long upswing that will see them pushing 50 wins or more in most seasons. They just need a better fit at sg.

ETA: They should package him with a young player or two. I like the young players but as they grow they will need more minutes and there won't be enough to go around. I see two starting-caliber centers, 3 starting-caliber pf's, and 2 starting-caliber sf's, counting LRMAM at both forward spots. Quality trumps quantity and they need to consolidate.

I am shocked by your optimism here. This based on Henson and Harris or what? Am I missing a joke?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#15 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:20 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:Trade, win-now. I believe this team is quite talented. They can't trade him for a good pick and they won't get a good pick themselves.

During his hot streak 10-days ago, I was against trading Monta unless the deal was great. But after the last four games, I'm ready to accept a lesser return if needed in the interest of addition by subtraction. He just can't play SG. He is too small to defend them. And his handle is not strong enough to be a starting PG.

Yeah I feel like I am a game by game basis on this guy. Last week I was looking at the positive he brings which is being able to fill it up and play at another speed/quickness wise. But then the last few games he is just not a smart player. He has the ability to get hot, have a great game, and then in a matter of minutes spoil all good will he's earned with boneheaded shots, plays. I don't think this is a guy I want to lock long term with.

LUKE23 wrote:I think our scouting has improved and it would give us another chance to add a long-term wing.

I agree. Never thought I would, but if our young core continues to improve/play well I would be okay with giving Hammond a 2-3 years extension at this point. But I don't want to change the topic of this thread. So I digress...
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#16 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
There are currently 60 players averaging 15.0+ ppg.

That is a great stat.

But I wouldn't need Afflalo for the ppg. I like the size, defensive ability and three point efficiency. I sort of view him as a younger, more athletic Dunleavy who can guard SG's.

J-Nut
Freshman

Post#17 » by J-Nut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 pm

As far as Afflalo being 27, that's still rather young. Besides, the Bucks already have a nice young nucleus. Now they need guys that can play.
It's like butta baby!!!!
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#18 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 pm

There is no way he takes the opt-in though, does he? He would have to really struggle in order to do so in my opinion. As much as many dislike him, I think he has value in the open market and if he puts up around 20 PPG like he has been doing, I can't see him taking a 1yr/11M over what he could get in the open market. There has to be some team that would give him minimum 3-4 years at 10M+ year.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#19 » by LUKE23 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:There are currently 60 players averaging 15.0+ ppg.

That is a great stat.

But I wouldn't need Afflalo for the ppg. I like the size, defensive ability and three point efficiency. I sort of view him as a younger, more athletic Dunleavy who can guard SG's.

I'm definitely not saying he's a bad player. I just think some team will overrate Monta based on ppg enough to get a better asset. Afflalo is putting up 15 ppg on 13.7 shots, and how great is his D really? I was checking his career on off splits for D.

This year (too small of sample): -20.1 points per 100
11-12: -2.3 points per 100
10-11: -3.1 points per 100
09-10: +1.0 points per 100
08-09: -1.1 points per 100
07-08: +4.0 points per 100

I don't know, those numbers don't mean everything, but I've also never seen him mentioned as an impactful defender. He's obviously going to be better than Ellis there, but he's a pretty boring addition, IMO.
J-Nut
Freshman

Post#20 » by J-Nut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:28 pm

I don't see anyway that Ellis opts-in either.

Another thing about Afflalo, John Hammond drafted him in Detroit.
It's like butta baby!!!!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks