Maybe Isaiah Austin saves the Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Maybe Isaiah Austin saves the Draft 

Post#1 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:32 pm

I thinked that he could be a disapoinment, and at best a Mullens type of player in the NBA... but I like him the other day vs. LeHigh, maybe he could stay strong all season and saves this weak class? not sure yet but...

Fair comparison? Gasol? Bender? Lopez?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Maybe Isaiah Austin saves the Draft 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:52 pm

his frame is really bad. not sure of a comparison. ajinca, skinny blatche, c.frye, charlie v.
something along those lines.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,299

Post#3 » by DirtyDez » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:41 am

Would be a dominant NBA player if he went to a program like Georgetown for 3-4 years. Dreaming is free.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#4 » by ATTL » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 am

How long is he going to be out?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:22 am

Amaretotheline wrote:How long is he going to be out?

he's not. he played today.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 968

Post#6 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:23 am

DirtyDez wrote:Would be a dominant NBA player if he went to a program like Georgetown for 3-4 years. Dreaming is free.

I wouldn't have mind seeing him go to G Town either. Seems fitting for him.
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#7 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 am

He's pretty polished offensively, inside-out.

got pushed around attempting to box out defensively. Runs pretty slow as well, but maybe just a factor of precaution given the recent injury. Problem is, as other have pointed out, Austin will have problems filling out.
Would probably take him over Noel in the draft today.

judging an interview watched lately: We're talking about a great character person.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:24 pm

re49gb_2gho32fp wrote:Runs pretty slow as well, but maybe just a factor of precaution given the recent injury.

that's how he normally runs.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#9 » by boogie-reke » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:36 pm

The kid is pushed from the post to the 3pt line in less then 2 seconds, lol.

He has fantastic length though, enough to put up good numbers in collage for now. He has to bulk up and think more like a center though and not like Chaning Frye.
flipwise
Junior
And1: 7

Post#10 » by flipwise » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:16 pm

boogie-reke wrote:The kid is pushed from the post to the 3pt line in less then 2 seconds, lol.

He has fantastic length though, enough to put up good numbers in collage for now. He has to bulk up and think more like a center though and not like Chaning Frye.

Why should he? If the kid has perimeter skills, let him play that way for god's sake.
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#11 » by EB2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:25 pm

boogie-reke wrote:The kid is pushed from the post to the 3pt line in less then 2 seconds, lol.

Its interesting to think what he could be in the NBA. He could just flame out because of his horrible frame or he could be a sharpshooting 4/5 with good rebounding ability.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#12 » by Jazzfan12 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:55 pm

His stats are bizarre right now. .33 BPG, 36% from three, 44% from the line. The shooting stats are probably just small sample size stuff, but I would have thought that a seven footer with a giant wingspan would be able to block shots...His team has also been bad despite strong individual stats from most guys on the team.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:His stats are bizarre right now. .33 BPG, 36% from three, 44% from the line. The shooting stats are probably just small sample size stuff, but I would have thought that a seven footer with a giant wingspan would be able to block shots...His team has also been bad despite strong individual stats from most guys on the team.

his lateral quickness is not good at all, so that could be a reason why he's not blocking shots. the more athletic cory jefferson is being used as the guy coming over to contest shots.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#14 » by They_Them_Hatin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:52 pm

I read an article that hlif he stays another year he may be in contention for #1.
gensu3k1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#15 » by gensu3k1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 am

He's not ready. Also, this class is not bad; don't believe the (anti)hype.
Zach Randolph + Kevin Durant >>>>>>> Greg Oden. Bob Whitsitt>>>>>> Kevin Pritchard.
"Jan Vesely, this guy can really shoot it." --Jay Bilas, 2011
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#16 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:00 am

DX has Austin slotted at 6 in their mock. He's averaging 14 pts 9.6 RPG, and just had a 22 reb. game recently, I think. Does he declare this year, and what are his pro prospects?

He sounds like a guy with good character, and seems to have added some weight, which he needs to continue to do.

Interesting prospect, because he can also shoot a little from the perimeter.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#17 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Austin is another player with great potential who still needs a year or two before entering the draft. Harder to project than some players because of his skinny frame and his proclivity to play outside on offense. If develops on defense next year and fills out, the pros will come calling. I'm not worried as much about his offense as his progress defensively.
chad42
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#18 » by chad42 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 am

I think if Austin comes out this year he will be the number 1 pick. His height, length and skills are ridiculous. As a post player he has an un-guardable turn around jumper, an un-guardable sweeping hook, add to that trail 3s, pick n pops, elbow face ups, hes going to be a devastating offensive player that teams will be forced to double team. He's a solid passer, has great feel, and he's super character guy. Defensively i think he will always struggle when pulled away from the basket but still he's going to alter shots, and disrupt due to his length. My fear about Austin isnt his weight or lower body, its gotta be the chance that he becomes completely enamored with dribbling and floating on the perimeter. I think he's going to be a freaky Brook Lopez/Dirk hybrid, just retire the big #21 jersey already!
WOOOOOOO!
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#19 » by ManualRam » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 am

chad42 wrote:I think if Austin comes out this year he will be the number 1 pick. His height, length and skills are ridiculous. As a post player he has an un-guardable turn around jumper, an un-guardable sweeping hook, add to that trail 3s, pick n pops, elbow face ups, hes going to be a devastating offensive player that teams will be forced to double team. He's a solid passer, has great feel, and he's super character guy. Defensively i think he will always struggle when pulled away from the basket but still he's going to alter shots, and disrupt due to his length. My fear about Austin isnt his weight or lower body, its gotta be the chance that he becomes completely enamored with dribbling and floating on the perimeter. I think he's going to be a freaky Brook Lopez/Dirk hybrid, just retire the big #21 jersey already!
WOOOOOOO!

in order for him to do half the stuff that you described, he'd have to hold his position to receive the ball at certain spots on the floor. i don't think he'll be able to do that so he'll just be pushed out to the perimeter.
face up jumpers with no threat of the blow by, pick n pops and spot up jumpers. that's what i foresee his offensive arsenal being in the NBA. i expect him to be a poor defender and mediocre rebounder as well at the next level because of his poor strength, frame and below average agility.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 pm

He's a lottery wild-card, imo. I'm really impressed with his recent improvement in rebounding and shot-blocking, though he still hasn't put his game all together, yet. There's still about a month left. If he can show he can get to the line more and keep up the rebounding and shot-blocking, he could go in the top half of the lottery.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to NBA Draft