ImageImageImageImageImage

In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless 

Post#221 » by load management » Sun Dec 2, 2012 5:26 am

Choker wrote:Shot badly, lost only by 4, and they're 12-3 for the season. Hmmmm.

They might be 13-2 if Bayless hadn't turned the ball over on their chance to tie. Conley has been playing the best ball of his career. 17 abysmal minutes from Bayless has little to do with their record.
**** the Tony Brothers
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#222 » by KnickerBonkerz » Sun Dec 2, 2012 5:28 am

gbball wrote:I see Bayless developing into a more athletic Chauncy Billups. I really liked him on this team. I was dissapointed they let him go.

lol whaaa? He plays NOTHING like Chauncey. Couldn't be more opposite
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#223 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 2, 2012 5:28 am

gbball wrote:I see Bayless developing into a more athletic Chauncy Billups. I really liked him on this team. I was dissapointed they let him go.

Same here, but I can't act like we gave away a can't miss prospect. The appeal to Bayless on the Raps is that we potentially found a guy that we could have molded and further developed, and failed to test those waters out to clear out the smoke. That's what pisses me off the most about this whole situation. As much as I think people overblow his lack of playmaking, he still lacks discipline necessary for the point guard position.
Read on Twitter
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#224 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 2, 2012 5:29 am

rapsfanhere wrote:They might be 13-2 if Bayless hadn't turned the ball over on their chance to tie. Conley has been playing the best ball of his career. 17 abysmal minutes from Bayless has little to do with their record.

They've been crying for a quality back up point guard for years and needed a player to fill the void of O.J. Mayo's off the bench scoring. Bayless covers both for Memphis.

Read on Twitter
why22
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#225 » by why22 » Sun Dec 2, 2012 5:42 am

If Bayless were here, Casey could run his beloved 2 pg lineup and it would work....
Basketball_Jones wrote:BC holding Casey accountable would go like this:

BC: so I see you played Andrea quite a bit there when he was struggling
Casey: yeah I know, we needed spacing
BC: play him more (walks away)
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#226 » by JunkYardSubs » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:00 am

Choker wrote:Shot badly, lost only by 4, and they're 12-3 for the season. Hmmmm.

:lol: I doubt that says a lot about Bayless.

Fact is, despite all the things people whine about on this board justifably, letting Bayless and Johnson go were not two of them. Hell, if Johnson stayed one more year and played like he is now in Sacremento, we'd be giving another team a second round pick to take him off our hands.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#227 » by J Dilla » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:15 am

JunkYardSubs wrote:

:lol: I doubt that says a lot about Bayless.

Fact is, despite all the things people whine about on this board justifably, letting Bayless and Johnson go were not two of them. Hell, if Johnson stayed one more year and played like he is now in Sacremento, we'd be giving another team a second round pick to take him off our hands.

Kyle Lowry is averaging about the same thing or less what Bayless was averaging as a starter. Even though the sample size was small, you could take his numbers from his Portland days, his 2 or so years in Toronto and you will see he's always been consistent as a starter.

You could've kept one for a 3 year deal about 9 million or somewhat around there. For Lowry you gave up a 1st rounder not lotto protected.

For Johnson you gave up a 1st rounder to get a benchwarmer, then you turned him to a serviceable defensive starter and traded him for a 2nd round pick.

Perfect asset management by non other than Clownangelo.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#228 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:42 am

I still like Lowry better than Bayless, but considering what we gave up, depending on what happens to that pick it may have been better to just have kept Bayless and trade away/let Calderon expire.

Read on Twitter
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,683

Post#229 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:48 am

J Dilla wrote:For Johnson you gave up a 1st rounder to get a benchwarmer, then you turned him to a serviceable defensive starter and traded him for a 2nd round pick.

This argument is disingenuous, as it was a late 1st vs. an early 2nd. Nothing of value was lost.

For that, we took a chance on an athletically gifted, young player who wore out his welcome under a very good, defensive minded head coach in Chicago. Turns out he is a headcase and wore out his welcome here, so his value eroded a bit. Judging by his horrid performance in Sacramento, it has eroded even more.

While the (low-risk) gamble made sense at the time, I doubt anybody would take a similar risk now for JJ.
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,376

Post#230 » by visionquest » Sun Dec 2, 2012 7:40 am

Bayless can get you those easy buckets at the end of the game when everyone's tired......but only when he's given the latitude to do so, like here.
What would Pop do?
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#231 » by JV4MVP » Sun Dec 2, 2012 4:50 pm

Choker wrote:I still like Lowry better than Bayless, but considering what we gave up, depending on what happens to that pick it may have been better to just have kept Bayless and trade away/let Calderon expire.

Still think Lowry is better than Bayless? Come on Choker, any comparison is ridiculous. Don't act like they're remotely of similar value regardless x factor (trade, injury, etc).
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#232 » by Beardman » Sun Dec 2, 2012 4:59 pm

People have already forgotten how he struggles to finish in traffic. Its only when he gets hot from deep that he becomes effective cuz then opposition plays him tight and the lanes open up more for his drives. But when his shot was off he was garbage.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#233 » by MEDIC » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:01 pm

I still prefer Lowry's PG skills to Bayless, but I think Bayless is the better scorer. They are similar players offensively, but Bayless has the size advantage.

I'd trust Bayless in a late game iso situation over Lowry.

I'd be so much happier with JB as a backup combo guard over Calderon.

I Lowry/ Bayless combo would have been fun to watch. They would have won us some games.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#234 » by sanity » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:26 pm

Fields is having a worse season than Johnson and is being paid 3x as much. However you try to justify it, that was a screw up.

Not retaining Bayless over Calderon (and not even using the amnesty on Calderon) is inexcusable. Colangelo really, truly felt this team was (and still is) a lock for the playoffs. This team is hemorrhaging money and is worse than last year's team. Whatever moves were made this offseason were clearly the wrong ones to make.
ahson
Rookie
And1: 29

Post#235 » by ahson » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:29 pm

:roll:
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,279

Post#236 » by Green Backpack » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:30 pm

I can't believe people are crying over Bayless. I'm sorry, but having Bayless as your starting PG isn't going to get you anywhere. There's a reason he ended up in Memphis for cheap
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,038

Post#237 » by Scase » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:31 pm

Green Backpack wrote:I can't believe people are crying over Bayless. I'm sorry, but having Bayless as your starting PG isn't going to get you anywhere. There's a reason he ended up in Memphis for cheap

I'm pretty sure the argument is for him as the backup pg instead of JC.
Props TZ!
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#238 » by sanity » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:44 pm

Green Backpack wrote:I can't believe people are crying over Bayless. I'm sorry, but having Bayless as your starting PG isn't going to get you anywhere. There's a reason he ended up in Memphis for cheap

A 20~ win team paying an expiring player 10m to fulfill a bench role is a horrible use of an asset
whatamoron
Rookie
And1: 473

Post#239 » by whatamoron » Sun Dec 2, 2012 8:16 pm

Scase wrote:

I'm pretty sure the argument is for him as the backup pg instead of JC.

There is also a reason why lowry is playing for his third team. Two other things to consider is that
Bayless liked Toronto and wanted to stay. He was willing to sign long term for a lot less than what
Lowry is going to demand. There isn't any guarantee that Lowry will want to stay with the Raptors
after this contract expires. Personally if the Raptors are going to retain a selfish point guard who
will under utilize his team-mates, I rather it be Bayless
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#240 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 2, 2012 8:23 pm

Regression2u wrote:Still think Lowry is better than Bayless? Come on Choker, any comparison is ridiculous. Don't act like they're remotely of similar value regardless x factor (trade, injury, etc).

Some people can be so dense. Lots of outrage over how Lowry could potentially leave after his contract expires with the chance of us losing the pick. Some people just don't know basketball.

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors