ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#281 » by AQuintus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:33 am

Krapinsky wrote:
Maybe we get Jordan Crawford somehow? He's got a 15 + PER this year. Not too bad.

Maybe we get Bradley Beal. That's the only way that this trade is salvaged for the Wolves.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#282 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:55 pm

Is Derrick finally starting to figure out how to play? Before you would always see him try to make the big plays instead of just moving the ball, or letting the game come to him. The last few games he's looked better, IMO. Also, the form on his jumper looked way better in that Milwaukee game then we saw last season.

I really hope he can turn the corner and develop into at least an Antawn Jamison in his prime type of player. Hopefully once Rubio comes back he will make things easier on Williams.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#283 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 8:05 pm

Just looking at his shooting numbers....it shows that he just can't finish at the rim yet. This is why I'd like to be patient with him. If he can learn to finish better(just like Love did) he would be a very dangerous player.

Derrick Williams - 9.5 points - 5.5 rebounds - 1 block - 38 / 33(2attempts) / 74(3 attempts) - 21 minutes per game

shooting locations

at rim: 3.8 attempts / 47% VS his rookie year 3 attempts at 63%
16-23 feet: 2.6 attempts / 35% VS rookie year 1.3 attempts at 29%

He really needs to shoot more in the short to mid-range area...combined from 3-9 feet and 10-15 feet he only shoots .6 times a game.

FWIW Love's first 3 years at the rim he shot 55 / 56 and then 60.1 / 59.8, and he shoots around the same % from mid-range is Derrick.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#284 » by BrooklynBulls » Tue Dec 4, 2012 4:48 am

Krapinsky wrote:
C.lupus wrote:What part of "we don't have a starting quality shooting guard" gets addressed in this trade? We don't need a slight upgrade at center. When your car is missing four wheels you don't spend your money on a new paint job.

Maybe we get Jordan Crawford somehow? He's got a 15 + PER this year. Not too bad.

Jordan Crawford is the Crawford with the worst shot selection in the NBA. Think about that.

This guy is such a tremendous loser that I don't think his next contract will be in the NBA. He's on court poison.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#285 » by BrooklynBulls » Tue Dec 4, 2012 4:51 am

Derrick Williams for Wes Matthews?

Matthews is 2 way SG who can shoot and plays a great floor game.

Williams gives the rebuilding Blazers a bench 3/4 that can actually score, unlike the rest of their bench, and is a young prospect compared to the established but peaked player Matthews is.

Edit: you think there's still bad blood regarding Portland and the Wolves? Or is it bygones be bygones?
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,301

Post#286 » by younggunsmn » Tue Dec 4, 2012 5:47 am

If we could have Wes Matthews for Derrick Williams Kahn would do it and run away giggling like a little girl.
Aint going to happen.

And yes there is still a ton of bad blood with Portland. They tried to F Batum financially by limiting his PT/shots the year before and we helped him call them on it. Damn he would look great here right now.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#287 » by southern wolf » Tue Dec 4, 2012 8:58 am

younggunsmn wrote:If we could have Wes Matthews for Derrick Williams Kahn would do it and run away giggling like a little girl.
Aint going to happen.

And yes there is still a ton of bad blood with Portland. They tried to F Batum financially by limiting his PT/shots the year before and we helped him call them on it. Damn he would look great here right now.

I agree Portland wouldn't trade Matthews for Williams, but I'm not too upset we missed out on Batum. Partly because of the cash we would have had to pay him and partly because of AK's great play.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#288 » by cpfsf » Tue Dec 4, 2012 6:12 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:Derrick Williams for Wes Matthews?

Matthews is 2 way SG who can shoot and plays a great floor game.

Williams gives the rebuilding Blazers a bench 3/4 that can actually score, unlike the rest of their bench, and is a young prospect compared to the established but peaked player Matthews is.

Edit: you think there's still bad blood regarding Portland and the Wolves? Or is it bygones be bygones?

if there is bad blood, it's because the wolves are still mad about webster affair while the blazers are are mad with the contract offered to batum.

this is speculation, but the blazers might be annoyed with the timberwolves after they offered contracts to brandon roy, tom penn, and bill bayno.

i'd rank it as being unlikely

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#289 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:21 pm

“@APkrawczynski: I'll say this for Derrick Williams: he's handled this situation about 100 times more professionally than most high draft picks would.”

“@APkrawczynski: Derrick Williams: "I just have to do with what I have. If I get 10 minutes, I get 10 minutes and I just try and do what I can with that."”
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#290 » by Calinks » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 am

Happy someone has brought this up. A lot of number two's wouldn't act like this. Look at Royce White, I know he g=has other issues but he is vocal as hell.If this was happening to people in 2k12, they would be cussing 2K and their virtual coach out lol.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#291 » by Swish4 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:01 am

One thing Williams needs to work on is a pump fake. I think he's a 4 and only a 4. He's quicker than most PF in the league and needs to work on taking advantage of that. A good pump fake and a good pullup midrange jumper would do wonders for solving his offensive woes IMO.
Beezer
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#292 » by Beezer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:04 am

WesJ4 wrote:One thing Williams needs to work on is a pump fake. I think he's a 4 and only a 4. He's quicker than most PF in the league and needs to work on taking advantage of that. A good pump fake and a good pullup midrange jumper would do wonders for solving his offensive woes IMO.

I agree. With his quickness, he could be deadly at the 4 with a good pump fake. Driving to the basket in general would help his offense.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#293 » by Tirion » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:22 am

Klomp wrote:
“@APkrawczynski: I'll say this for Derrick Williams: he's handled this situation about 100 times more professionally than most high draft picks would.”

“@APkrawczynski: Derrick Williams: "I just have to do with what I have. If I get 10 minutes, I get 10 minutes and I just try and do what I can with that."”

Darko was quiet, so was Thabeet.

Guys like Royce White are exception, not the norm.

The unwritten rule of the NBA is that if you are a rookie or a 2/3d year player, you need to STFU. Only vets are allowed to complain publically.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#294 » by southern wolf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:50 am

Klomp wrote:

We've drafted plenty of nice guys who haven't cut it. I would love nothing more than for him to transform into our SF of the future, but it ain't going to happen.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#295 » by the_bruce » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Everyone is so down on dwill. He's actually played fairly well recently. His defense is much improved this season. He can get to the line, is shooting the 3 well, and is rebounding.

He needs to work on his ft shooting, avoid the turnovers, finishing in traffic in the 3-9 foot range, and as mentioned earlier a pump fake would do his game a world of good.

I still think he can transition to the 3 because he has a 3's game offensively. I believe he can guard most 3's too. He's clearly a stretch 4 in MNs offensive scheme.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#296 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:35 pm

southern wolf wrote:
Klomp wrote:

We've drafted plenty of nice guys who haven't cut it. I would love nothing more than for him to transform into our SF of the future, but it ain't going to happen.

He'd have trade value if he would even start playing well as a backup PF, but can't even seem to do that.

I think he could be a player that gets to the line alot if he could learn to finish on his drives. I don't think the refs give him the benefit of the doubt because they feel like he's taking a shot he can't make. If he got the same call Love gets, he'd live at the line.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#297 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Worm Guts wrote:He'd have trade value if he would even start playing well as a backup PF, but can't even seem to do that.

I think he could be a player that gets to the line alot if he could learn to finish on his drives. I don't think the refs give him the benefit of the doubt because they feel like he's taking a shot he can't make. If he got the same call Love gets, he'd live at the line.

I think that it's because he goes for bad drives. He is so afraid he won't prove himself worthy that he actually wants to do something big with the ball almost every time he gets it. He is not letting offensive game come to him. With his limited minutes, he's always trying to do something impossible in order to prove himself and get bigger minutes, and that just doesn't work.

And it's not the 1st time it happens to a top pick. It's just that in most of those cases rookies didn't have players like Love and AK playing starters on their positions, and players like Dante and Howard on the bench, so they had more space for mistakes.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#298 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:56 pm

I've seen a quite few times where he's taken reasonable drives and just flubbed the shot. There's also been times I thought a foul could have been called but there's no whistle. I suppose though when you continually drive and come up empty it becomes a bad decision to drive at all.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#299 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I've seen a quite few times where he's taken reasonable drives and just flubbed the shot. There's also been times I thought a foul could have been called but there's no whistle. I suppose though when you continually drive and come up empty it becomes a bad decision to drive at all.

I agree with you there. There are a lot of factors that make a drive great: a good shooting and passing reputation, speed, explosiveness, strength, the ability to take a good shot from the drive, a good court vision, a good pump fake, a good NBA reputation for the refs. DWill still doesn't have many of those, but all those he doesn't have can be gained.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#300 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:43 pm

He was great at getting to the line in college, so maybe there's some hope there. It's really the only thing I have hope for Williams to do at a high NBA level.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves