ImageImageImageImage

Power Ranking

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Power Ranking 

Post#1 » by OrlDave » Mon Dec 3, 2012 8:58 pm

Power Rankings for 11/26-12/2 (11/27-12/3)

Monday Releases:

ESPN: Stein (Magic Rank 20, previously 25)

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/5

NBA.com: Schuhmann (Magic Rank 23, previous 24)

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/?ls=iref:nbahpt6b

NBCsports/Probasketballtalk: Helin: (Magic Rank 25, Previous 24)

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... 1/related/

Bleacher Report: Strauss (Magic Rank 23, Previous 24)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1429 ... ber/page/9

SBNation.com: Rosenthal (Magic Rank 23, Previous 24)

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/12/3/37190 ... onio-spurs

Tuesday Releases:

Foxsports: Amico (Magic Rank 22, Previous 25)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/powerRankings

Cbssports.com: Moore (Magic Rank 23, Previous Rank 25)

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/powerrankings

Sports.Yahoo.com: Spears (Magic Rank 22, Previous 24)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-p ... 04970.html

Daily Releases:

ESPN: Hollinger (Magic Rank for Dec 4th is 22, Previous day 25)

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings/_/page/2

Highest Weekly Rank in Bold, Lowest in Italics.

Power Rankings for 12/3-12/10 (12/4-12/11) are located on Page 3.
Power Rankings for 12/10-12/17 (12/11-12/18) are located on page 5.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: Power Ranking peak 

Post#2 » by OrlandO » Mon Dec 3, 2012 9:12 pm

Notice how far we moved up and lakers moved down after yesterday lollololol. Both of ESPN's ranking are BS. The former focuses too much on recent wins/losses and the latter sometimes doesn't focus enough on wins/losses.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#3 » by OrlDave » Mon Dec 3, 2012 9:24 pm

OrlandO wrote:Notice how far we moved up and lakers moved down after yesterday lollololol. Both of ESPN's ranking are BS. The former focuses too much on recent wins/losses and the latter sometimes doesn't focus enough on wins/losses.

Yep, agreed. I think the NBA.com one is probably pretty close (for us anyway).
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#4 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Dec 3, 2012 10:45 pm

Eh, Magic will be ranked higher when they grab the eighth seed in the playoffs by the end of the year.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#5 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Dec 3, 2012 10:58 pm

Stein seems to be emphasizing the Lakers' lack of defense rather than our strong, well balanced play. If we didn't have four more on the road trip, I'd be hoping for two more games like this and some eyes opening to our potential. I just don't know how realistic that is on a five game trip (though obviously winning game one was huge).
Ballah
Bench Warmer
And1: 573

Post#6 » by Ballah » Tue Dec 4, 2012 1:38 am

I think you are being pessimistic, this team is playoff bound if Jameer is playing. Specially when we can have Turk/Harrington as our SF rotation instead of Harkless/Jones.
Malik Starks
Junior
And1: 48

Post#7 » by Malik Starks » Tue Dec 4, 2012 1:57 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Eh, Magic will be ranked higher when they grab the eighth seed in the playoffs by the end of the year.

Exactly, as I've said before people aren't recognizing that Magic have played a very tough schedule thus far. Coupled with the fact we have young players and the injuries sustained to some of our best. The month of December looks much easier (on paper), plus this unit is starting to come together and understand their roles.

If they can stay healthy, get Turk and Harrington back, the Magic have the potential to be pretty good.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#8 » by OrlDave » Tue Dec 4, 2012 2:12 am

Malik Starks wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Eh, Magic will be ranked higher when they grab the eighth seed in the playoffs by the end of the year.

Exactly, as I've said before people aren't recognizing that Magic have played a very tough schedule thus far. Coupled with the fact we have young players and the injuries sustained to some of our best. The month of December looks much easier (on paper), plus this unit is starting to come together and understand their roles.

If they can stay healthy, get Turk and Harrington back, the Magic have the potential to be pretty good.

Our SOS is .485, not weak per say, but not "very tough". We've played Detroit, Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota, Toronto, Pheonix... We won 4 of those 6 games + Denver (2nd game) and this last game which was pure adrenaline. We do have some nice talent on this team and it's entirely possible everything starts to jell and we go on a run, buut... we've mostly been losing to the playoff contending teams we've faced.
Malik Starks
Junior
And1: 48

Post#9 » by Malik Starks » Tue Dec 4, 2012 7:07 am

OrlDave wrote:
Malik Starks wrote:

Our SOS is .485, not weak per say, but not "very tough". We've played Detroit, Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota, Toronto, Pheonix... We won 4 of those 6 games + Denver (2nd game) and this last game which was pure adrenaline. We do have some nice talent on this team and it's entirely possible everything starts to jell and we go on a run, buut... we've mostly been losing to the playoff contending teams we've faced.

That's right, but the schedule we've played + the injuries (7-4 with Jameer) + the young players + new players and staff is my point. All four of those factors COMBINED are why we have a losing record, not any one taken in isolation.

It's my belief that our young players are developing at an accelerated rate (particulary Vuc), the players are beginning to understand their roles, AND the schedule in December is much easier. I think we could be .500 by this upcoming Monday. I said before the season began I believe this is a playoff team, and I have never given up on that belief. The only limiting factor is possible injuries imo.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#10 » by OrlDave » Tue Dec 4, 2012 2:58 pm

Malik Starks wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
Malik Starks wrote:

That's right, but the schedule we've played + the injuries (7-4 with Jameer) + the young players + new players and staff is my point. All four of those factors COMBINED are why we have a losing record, not any one taken in isolation.

It's my belief that our young players are developing at an accelerated rate (particulary Vuc), the players are beginning to understand their roles, AND the schedule in December is much easier. I think we could be .500 by this upcoming Monday. I said before the season began I believe this is a playoff team, and I have never given up on that belief. The only limiting factor is possible injuries imo.

You make good points and it is possible. After last night I'm much more likely to believe it. Beating LA (a fairly dysfunctional team) with all the emotion involved is one thing, but following it up against a good GState team, a game that should have been a let down, is another.

I've been a big supporter of Vuc's and I think he can make us forget about Dwight. At least in rebounding and scoring, probably never in straight up defense/blocks. But close enough imo. We do have some nice talent on this team and if it all comes together then it's possible for a low playoff seed this year. I'm really interested to see if Turk / Harrington coming back helps or hurts the team.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#11 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Dec 4, 2012 3:07 pm

Now, if the Magic are playing close to .500 ball come trade deadline, I wouldn't be surprised Henny making a trade to obtain starting level talent to make that playoff push. That, would be awesome and I could see it happening. But, still gotta take it one game at a time to see what happens as it is a long season.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#12 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Dec 4, 2012 4:09 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Now, if the Magic are playing close to .500 ball come trade deadline, I wouldn't be surprised Henny making a trade to obtain starting level talent to make that playoff push. That, would be awesome and I could see it happening. But, still gotta take it one game at a time to see what happens as it is a long season.

If he does that, he should be fired immediately. You don't spend all summer telling us you're building for the future and then go all in once you have a couple of good months. Let's face it, we have had an easy schedule. We have only beaten 3 quality teams. The Nuggets on opening night, the Lakers in an emotional performance that is unlikely to be repeated (31 points in 6 mintes?), and last night the Warriors. Every game we lose is by at least 6 points. It's not like we're the Lakers losing on George Hill buzzer beaters or anything. This team is not winning a title this year, so just smile and enjoy the wins and keep planning for the future.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#13 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Dec 4, 2012 4:14 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Now, if the Magic are playing close to .500 ball come trade deadline, I wouldn't be surprised Henny making a trade to obtain starting level talent to make that playoff push. That, would be awesome and I could see it happening. But, still gotta take it one game at a time to see what happens as it is a long season.

If he does that, he should be fired immediately. You don't spend all summer telling us you're building for the future and then go all in once you have a couple of good months. Let's face it, we have had an easy schedule. We have only beaten 3 quality teams. The Nuggets on opening night, the Lakers in an emotional performance that is unlikely to be repeated (31 points in 6 mintes?), and last night the Warriors. Every game we lose is by at least 6 points. It's not like we're the Lakers losing on George Hill buzzer beaters or anything. This team is not winning a title this year, so just smile and enjoy the wins and keep planning for the future.

I disagree. If the Magic are a playoff caliber team this and next year, then they could add to this team in 2014 when they have enough cash to obtain even more all-star level talent.

FYI. There are multiple ways to build a team, not just by becoming a bottom feeder for a decade waiting for a superstar.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#14 » by silent1900 » Tue Dec 4, 2012 4:34 pm

I think the folks hoping for playoffs should be careful what they wish for. This team, even with Hedo and Harrington back, would likely get swept in 4 while averaging about 75 points/game in the playoffs. When teams are engaged and *want* to defend us, they can do so easily. We will grab some wins in the regular season through energy and other teams' lack of focus, but come playoff time that all changes.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#15 » by damo[23] » Tue Dec 4, 2012 5:25 pm

Our SOS was one of the weakest around a week ago - no "recognizing we had a strong SOS" - sure we've played SAS in the past week and LA (not really that strong right now).

Honestly I don't overly care about rankings, we were 28th or 29th in the pre-season, so to jump nearly 10 places in their estimation is pretty good for me.

We were one of the hottest teams in the NBA at various points over the past few years and sometimes we'd be left out of the top 10, and frequently not top 5 when clearly we were (at the time).

I cant see that we make the playoff's, the East is weak, but I don't think its that weak. I am not even fussed by it all that much, given the circumstances. I'd love to make it, and would be an absolutely unreal story (for us) and I think the team is becoming more focused that it is a possibility. Given the East is a weaker conference (in recent history) and we made the post season twice with a sub-.500 record, I suppose its not completely out of the question. My only worry about the team is we have no real "power" players, by that I mean all stars / superstars, who just plain take over the game by quite easily being the best players on the court on many nights. Jameer, JJ, AA and even BBD are damn well trying their hardest to replicate that, maybe just a team effort gets us there.

I am still really enjoying this season so far, I didn't expect much (not in a negative way, but with such wholesale changes, I found it hard to think we'd get any kind of rhythm for at least 20 games), so the fact we've had some great games already, awesome
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#16 » by fklt » Tue Dec 4, 2012 6:13 pm

I think we'll go 9-4 in the next 13 games till we face Miami, lets see the ranking then.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#17 » by OrlDave » Tue Dec 4, 2012 6:57 pm

I added a couple new rankings to the first post. I know it's pointless, but I find it fun to talk/think about. Plus they usually have a blurb about us in each ranking, so it's nice to see what various commentators think about us on a week by week basis.
ADRajX
RealGM
And1: 97

Post#18 » by ADRajX » Tue Dec 4, 2012 7:06 pm

OrlDave wrote:I added a couple new rankings to the first post. I know it's pointless, but I find it fun to talk/think about. Plus they usually have a blurb about us in each ranking, so it's nice to see what various commentators think about us on a week by week basis.

I agree.

You should turn this into an Official Power Rankings thread, and update the info whenever new info comes out :)
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#19 » by OrlDave » Tue Dec 4, 2012 7:21 pm

DJRajX wrote:
OrlDave wrote:I added a couple new rankings to the first post. I know it's pointless, but I find it fun to talk/think about. Plus they usually have a blurb about us in each ranking, so it's nice to see what various commentators think about us on a week by week basis.

I agree.

You should turn this into an Official Power Rankings thread, and update the info whenever new info comes out :)

I'll see what I can do lol :)
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#20 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Dec 4, 2012 7:27 pm

OrlDave wrote:
I'll see what I can do lol :)

I like this idea.

Replace the Official Henny Transaction thread which is really not needed being player movement doesn't happen that often and could be covered under the Offical Speculation thread.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic