ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#261 » by Illuminaire » Thu Dec 6, 2012 11:33 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote::lol: @ Illuminaire.. funny stuff. I never supported the trade but I think I was optimistic about it. Honestly it was blind hope for a playoffs reappearance.

While I poke fun at those who supported the trade... the innocent hope for a playoff team is probably all anyone who liked it was looking for. That hope is a good and noble one, and all Wizfans deserve a better GM who will actually make it into a reality.

Even Rico, God bless him.

PS: Sorry about that Dandridge. It was hard to parse where you were at, so I left you on the fence. If I do another list for second impressions/later in the summer, I'll definitely move you firmly into the against camp. :D
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 209

Post#262 » by leswizards » Fri Dec 7, 2012 12:37 am

Illuminaire wrote:PS: Sorry about that Dandridge. It was hard to parse where you were at, so I left you on the fence. If I do another list for second impressions/later in the summer, I'll definitely move you firmly into the against camp. :D

I will save you some time. Everyone is against it.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#263 » by montestewart » Fri Dec 7, 2012 12:44 am

Even among those that disliked the trade, there was a spectrum of opposition and reasoning. Many thought it was rash to use up so much cap space all at once on non-game changers (and I don't recall much debate about whether they were or not). Some thought that that the two were not appropriate complements to the team or were replicative (if potentially upgrades) of players/skills on the team. Some hated the arrogant bullheadedness of forcing a move, any move, in order to get Lewis off the team without buying him out. Some hated the fact that the Wizards had to give up a pick rather than getting one back. Some just thought the players sucked, or would very soon due to age or injuries. And some weren't so much against the risk of acquiring a high (overpriced) veteran who may end up being nothing more than a role player (or even a chronically injured player) on a rebuilding team, but two more after already adding Nene just seemed too much for many here.

Many who hated the trade acknowledged that it might add some more wins, and might under the best circumstances get the team into the playoffs, but at what cost long term? Many also thought it could be a better trade depending on subsequent moves. Many hated it more as they saw what those subsequent moves were. Few predicted a start as bad as the Wizards have had, but many had the foresight to accurately identify the team's shortcomings that led to that horrible start.

It's a Rainbow Coalition to Fire EG. We are diverse. We are united. We are strong. We are long winded.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#264 » by WizarDynasty » Fri Dec 7, 2012 12:58 am

Fire EG for not putting a 2nd year team option in either Livingston or Webster's contract. He might have had to pay a little extra but he would have created value for the organization.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#265 » by Ed Wood » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:55 am

My word, you've managed to outline a rationale for firing Ernie that I can honestly say I'm not down for. Like not even on a "by any means necessary" rider, and just about anything (being a terrible interview for instance) would fit that bill. I can't help but say "not like that," a neat trick.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#266 » by verbal8 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:08 am

Illuminaire wrote:Just for fun, I went through the first 25 pages of the OkaRiza trade thread and noted down the first impressions of everyone who posted (Unless I knew they were from another board, or had less than 100 posts). Here is where we all stood on that fateful day...

Who The Heck Knows???
    80sballboy
    Saqs
    jivelikenice
    GhostsOfGil
    McGully Culkin
    AFM
    verbal8

In summary, 58.66% of posters were clearly against the trade, 20.00% were [s]bat-crazy[/s] for the trade, and 21.33% were in denial. :wink:

Not sure if I made it in the first 25 posts, but I was initially against the trade. I may have talked myself into it being salvageable with a follow-up deal, but I definitely was never for the trade.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#267 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:14 am

WizarDynasty wrote:Fire EG for not putting a 2nd year team option in either Livingston or Webster's contract. He might have had to pay a little extra but he would have created value for the organization.

Amen, a common-sense practice (the option-year) that Ernie was too-lazy to bother with probably.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#268 » by queridiculo » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:21 am

For the record, I was never for the trade. I tried to rationalize it, but I certainly never would have pulled the trigger if given the choice. I had long proposed preserving our cap space and targeting Harden, whom the vast majority told me wasn't going to be available, and Asik, whom I wanted here as far back as two years ago.
closg00
RealGM

Post#269 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:28 am

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#270 » by montestewart » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:37 am

WizarDynasty wrote:Fire EG for not putting a 2nd year team option in either Livingston or Webster's contract. He might have had to pay a little extra but he would have created value for the organization.

EG put an option in Deshawn Stevenson's contract, then found himself morbidly compelled to resign DS to a four year, $15 million dollar deal, when there were no other apparent bidders for DS's services. EG learned from this real life gothic horror. No more option years or milkshakes right before bedtime.
closg00
RealGM

Post#271 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:50 am

We meant a team option to renew, not a player option.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#272 » by montestewart » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:04 am

closg00 wrote:We meant a team option to renew, not a player option.

I thought all of DS's options were team options. DS and his agent reportedly tried to play hardball with the Magic and eventually the magic had used up their payroll and roster, and DS with no suitors. A rare instance of Ernie "I'm the Sucker at the Table" Grunfeld having leverage, as he signed both Songaila and Stevenson (the original Okariza) to offset the crippling loss of Jeffries. But you know, maybe it was a player option. I could see EG having all that leverage and still blowing it.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#273 » by MF23 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:08 am

Everything in that article was way too polished. I want to hear hunger and working to get better in all aspects.

This is unacceptable. This is not the time for wait and see. You have to work hard to get this team going in the right direction.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#274 » by Benjammin » Fri Dec 7, 2012 1:11 pm

Ok, which of you is sponsoring this page? :-)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... fer01.html

An Anonymous Supporter sponsor(s) this page.

Likes: Constructing rosters with no shooters; making trades too early; drafting Euros who are not good; striving for mediocrity and failing. Dislikes: Accountability
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#275 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 7, 2012 1:54 pm

Not me, but I bet I know who did. :lol:
Bye bye Beal.
diaboliQ_Mo
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#276 » by diaboliQ_Mo » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:33 pm

It's all EG tryin savin face. A bunch of malarkeys.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#277 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 7, 2012 3:21 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

Nene has played in just five games as he recovers from plantar fasciitis in his left foot but Grunfeld points out that with the Brazilian big man playing limited minutes, the Wizards have won two of those games. They lost in overtime in the other two, including his debut in Atlanta, where the Wizards will have a chance on Friday to avenge one of the toughest losses of the season.

The Wizards have had 10 games decided by seven games or fewer, including three that went beyond regulation. They have also improved defensively, ranking 16th in points allowed (97.9), and are one of the league’s better rebounding teams, ranking 10th at 43.2 per game.

Randy has got these guys playing hard and competing on a nightly basis,” he said. “I think the character of our players is showing.”
Bye bye Beal.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#278 » by MJG » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:05 pm

Whenever I read anything from Grunfeld or Ted, all I really get out of it is "Yes, we're terrible, but if we had been a little bit luckier over the past month, we probably would be mediocre instead!"

I really wish they'd all just stop talking altogether. I'm not really the quoting type, but the old "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" adage seems pretty applicable.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,866

Post#279 » by payitforward » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:06 pm

More self-justifying BS.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#280 » by Higga » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:35 pm

Ugh, is there a bigger loser in sports than Ernie Grunfeld? I mean seriously. Guy sets goals for mediocrity and can't even attain that, then makes up loser excuse BS.

I'm so sick of this clown. And Ted is now on the blame train as well for sticking with this loser.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.

Return to Washington Wizards