ImageImageImageImageImage

Tracking Former Wizards 3.0

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Tracking Former Wizards 3.0 

Post#861 » by Nivek » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:12 pm

keynote wrote:Grantland went in on Swaggy P.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... to-kill-me

On November 4, in New York, the Sixers lost to the Knicks, 100-84. Nick Young played 32 minutes, scored five points on 2-10 shooting, and had a plus/minus of -29. Minus. Twenty-nine. That’s when it hit me: This is happening. Nick Young isn’t on Twitter or in photos or video lowlights. He’s on the Sixers. He’s a Sixer. He is part of my life now, and like a ghost that haunts your apartment, you need to make peace with these things. So, I decided to live-blog the Sixers game against New Orleans last night. I fully anticipate this to read like a Sullivan Ballou letter from Ken Burns’s The Civil War. Spoiler: That guy dies. Cue up “Ashokan Farewell.” Let’s go.

I enjoyed reading the comments from beleaguered Wizards fans (is there any other kind?), expressing their schadenfreude that Nick Young is now Somebody Else's Problem.

Got into a Twitter argument with a guy about Young. He seems to think Young will be just fine and that he's a good replacement for Lou Williams, who they let leave. I was about to post some variation on "he'll have to learn the hard way," but then I had the quick thought of how fans typically evaluate players, and this guy will probably end up arguing the Sixers just needed to give Young more playing time.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#862 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:23 pm

Nick is shooting 24.4% from the field. Wow
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#863 » by Induveca » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:38 am

With 2 minutes left in 3rd vs Kings, Blatche has 20 points on 10/10 shooting.......he looks pretty damn good. Seemingly able to jump again and quick enough to get around his man. Looks very much in decent shape.
llcc25
Senior
And1: 1

Post#864 » by llcc25 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:52 am

Induveca wrote:With 2 minutes left in 3rd vs Kings, Blatche has 20 points on 10/10 shooting.......he looks pretty damn good. Seemingly able to jump again and quick enough to get around his man. Looks very much in decent shape.

i actualy posted the same thing on another thread. makes me wonder if Wiz didn't everything possible to help Blatche b/c he clearly as talent.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#865 » by Illuminaire » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:55 am

Totally. One good game from Blatche definitely makes me question whether his long track record of poor work ethic, bad conditioning, immature behavior, and inefficient basketball was somehow really the team's fault.

(Do I need green font? People can figure out that this should be green, right? >.>)
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,846

Post#866 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:59 am

llcc25 wrote:
Induveca wrote:With 2 minutes left in 3rd vs Kings, Blatche has 20 points on 10/10 shooting.......he looks pretty damn good. Seemingly able to jump again and quick enough to get around his man. Looks very much in decent shape.

i actualy posted the same thing on another thread. makes me wonder if Wiz didn't everything possible to help Blatche b/c he clearly as talent.

Dray has exceeded expectations so far this year. Are you really sure that the picture will be the same after 80 games as it is after 8?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#867 » by DMVleGeND » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:04 am

I'm as big of a Dray fan as anyone, but I haven't been particularly impressed with him this yr so far. I didn't watch tonight's game, but I imagine that the reason why he was so efficient was because he was acting as a finisher. In the games I've seen where he's tried to create his own shot, he still looks slow and unable too, and his team defense is still weak. It goes much deeper than the stats with him.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#868 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:06 am

llcc25 wrote:

Nick and Dray both had good games tonight.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#869 » by Nivek » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Young still rates below replacement level in my system. His shooting has been not-good and he does nothing else.

Blatche rates solidly above average through 8 games (140 in my system, where 100 = average and higher is better). Much of that is actually on the strength of improved rebounding. His offensive efficiency still isn't all that great -- even with an 11-12 game in the books. Still, what he's done for Brooklyn in 8 games is better than what he gave the Wizards the past few seasons. He's always had ability -- the question with him was whether he'd ever get in shape and make better decisions on the floor. We'll see.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,852

Post#870 » by TGW » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Before last night's game, Blatche was shooting 36% from the field. I'm not so sure he's "better"—we're so early in the year, one outlier can still drastically affect one's stats.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#871 » by DMVleGeND » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Gilbert Arenas has officially joined the Shanghai Sharks of China (the team Yao Ming owns).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dox-NWe_YI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8xcwX1uS-A[/youtube]

He was originally supposed to sign w/ Guandong, but the deal fell apart and they elected to go with Terrence Williams instead.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#872 » by Illuminaire » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:50 pm

I find this depressing.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#873 » by closg00 » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:22 pm

Sean (Denver)

Why isn't Javale getting more minutes? Can't defend alongside Faried?

John Hollinger (3:40 PM)

Lots of people in Denver wondering the same thing, as he's played very well in his minutes and the Nuggies can use his offense. The asthma is an issue, obviously, which will probably limit him to 24-28 min -- especially at that altitude. But I'd like to see him play more.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#874 » by Upper Decker » Sat Dec 8, 2012 3:16 am

Amazing nights by our 2011-2012 starting front court:

Blatche 8-13, 22 pts, 15 rbs, 4 stls, 2 asts
McGee 9-9, 20 pts, 8 rbs

I'm just so glad Ernie and Ted created a superb environment to develop these guys. If I was Wall I'd sign the QO and bolt the first chance I get. He'll be 1st team all-NBA outside of Washington, but hey, at least we have our boy named Jan to pick up the slack. Thanks Ernie!
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#875 » by dangermouse » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:19 pm

He should totally be starting. But at PG.

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#876 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 2:37 pm

Upper Decker wrote:Amazing nights by our 2011-2012 starting front court:

McGee 9-9, 20 pts, 8 rbs

I'm just so glad Ernie and Ted created a superb environment to develop these guys. If I was Wall I'd sign the QO and bolt the first chance I get. He'll be 1st team all-NBA outside of Washington, but hey, at least we have our boy named Jan to pick up the slack. Thanks Ernie!

I'm still not impressed by McGee. He's the same guy as last year. His per-minute numbers are a bit better because he is playing fewer minutes against backups, but other than that, meh.

Blatche's resurgence is extremely frustrating, but I have a hard time blaming EG for it. Blatche needed to bottom out before finding the motivation to play well again. Some things just aren't meant to be.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#877 » by Upper Decker » Sat Dec 8, 2012 3:02 pm

nate33 wrote:
Upper Decker wrote:Amazing nights by our 2011-2012 starting front court:

McGee 9-9, 20 pts, 8 rbs

I'm still not impressed by McGee. He's the same guy as last year. His per-minute numbers are a bit better because he is playing fewer minutes against backups, but other than that, meh.

Blatche's resurgence is extremely frustrating, but I have a hard time blaming EG for it. Blatche needed to bottom out before finding the motivation to play well again. Some things just aren't meant to be.

McGee still struggles horribly on defense (rotations), which may be why Karl's limited his minutes, but it's hard not to be frustrated when he's providing so much more than Okafor in roughly the same minutes.

I'm not so easy to let EFG off the hook for Blatche. The problems didn't start last year for Blatche. What was EFG and staff doing in 2007 & 2008 to develop Blatche? The whole EFG reign can be described with one overarching theme, "Lack of Accountability." The talent was always there with Blatche and now the first chance he get's outside of this toxic dump he's posting all-star number PER-36.

Per 36 McGee 20.4p, 10.3r, 3b, 1a PER 24.1
Per 36 Blatche 20.1p, 11.8r, 2b, 1.5a PER 24.3

Seriously, I have no idea why I even bother investing energy in this team.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Post#878 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Dec 8, 2012 5:07 pm

--On one drive to the basket, Blatche faked out two defenders with a couple of moves that had the crowd oohing and awing. Andray's rebounding is much better. He is a lot quicker. He's handling the ball full court without turning it over. He's throwing down dunks. It's amazing what losing 15 pounds and being in shape for a change did for Blatche. He NEVER played that well for Washington.

-McGee is bigger now. I think he is better, nate. He is stronger.

Upper Decker, I feel the same way about the Wizards when I don't force myself to develop selective amnesia. It is ridiculous this owner has a bond with EFG and they continue to preach patience. It is like listening to the Captain of the Titanic saying don't worry about all that ice in the water. He will steer us home safely.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#879 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 6:38 pm

dangermouse wrote:He should totally be starting. But at PG.

Nice behind the back move at the beginning to get into the clearing.

That is to funny. So McGee. Love the face plant at the end.

As for Dray. I know I posted plenty about patience and that he had clearly hit bottom so that would be the worst time to do something with him. But no way he worked out for him here after the way the booth booed him every time he touched the ball. Had he come back, it would have been more of the same. You'll were firm in your position that you would boo him at every chance you had until you drove him off the team. I argued with plenty here about how that was stupid and that the message had been already sent so back off but the mob wanted blood. You were firm in wanting EG to get him off the team by any means including amnesty. Well you got what you wanted.

There was no way Dray was going to be as bad as he was last season. The Wiz sent the hard message and Dray got to work getting in shape. I said there was no way he didn't learn something from having his NBA career put on the line. There is plenty of blame to put on Dray and even I was disgusted that he wasn't in shape to start last year. But the best move ( if he wasn't going to get booed every game ) would have been to bring him back and then trade him when you could. But that wasn't going to happen here. You can't expose the entire team to a crowd booing one of their teammates ever time he touches the ball every game.

The mob ran Dray out of town. Not EG. Not Ted. Hell, Randy even said he didn't want to coach him. So instead of post player on a team desperate for another one and a tradable asset, we are paying his dead weight contract and got nothing for it. Nice. All the boo birds should take a bow.

Better move would have been to hold onto him one more year and keep the amnesty powder dry if he continued to fail. You were playing for him anyway. Upside would have been he played like he is and you could have traded him for something.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#880 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 7:29 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:--On one drive to the basket, Blatche faked out two defenders with a couple of moves that had the crowd oohing and awing. Andray's rebounding is much better. He is a lot quicker. He's handling the ball full court without turning it over. He's throwing down dunks. It's amazing what losing 15 pounds and being in shape for a change did for Blatche. He NEVER played that well for Washington.

-McGee is bigger now. I think he is better, nate. He is stronger.

Upper Decker, I feel the same way about the Wizards when I don't force myself to develop selective amnesia. It is ridiculous this owner has a bond with EFG and they continue to preach patience. It is like listening to the Captain of the Titanic saying don't worry about all that ice in the water. He will steer us home safely.

I still have zero problem with them trading McGee for Nene. McGee will continue to get better over time but it will be a long time before I would trust him as a core starting piece of a team and 10-11M was to much for the Wizards to keep him. Specially when he wanted like 15M to stay here. He would have been a starter here and he needs to be a back up right now. McGee is were he should be. So is Nene. The Wizards got good value for an asset they needed to move on from if they didn't want to overpay him. If only Nene had not played in the Olympics and took care of his foot instead, that would be even more obvious.

The bigger problem for the team is the effects of trying to unravel the mess they got themselves in with the Gil contract that turned in the Lewis contract and what they did with Drays contract.

So just to refresh my memory. Had they keep Dray, what were their options ? Would they have still be able to do the Lewis for Trevor and Okafor or would they have been forced to buy out Lewis or use the amnesty on him. I can't remember. Looks like with Dray they would have been at 72M. Keeping Dray would only have worked if they could also keep their amnesty.

Return to Washington Wizards