Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#381 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 9, 2012 6:49 am

Piecake wrote:And while his numbers might be similar, Pau's defense has been AWFUL. he can't guard anyone on the perimeter, PnR, or rotate quickly. And well, if you can't do that, you suck at defense in the NBA

This is one area I'll concede. I've been really impressed with Nik's defense this year. However, remember with Pau that he's been playing out of position at PF.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#382 » by AQuintus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 7:11 am

Klomp wrote:This is one area I'll concede. I've been really impressed with Nik's defense this year. However, remember with Pau that he's been playing out of position at PF.

Out of position at the same position that he's played his entire career.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#383 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 9, 2012 7:30 am

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:This is one area I'll concede. I've been really impressed with Nik's defense this year. However, remember with Pau that he's been playing out of position at PF.

Look at the difference last year on both ends of the court when KG switched from PF (the position he played his entire career) to C. I think thats the type of difference it would make for Pau as well.

The NBA is changing. You no longer need a traditional center to be effective. Thats why I don't feel Pekovic has as much value as some of you think. Sure he may be a top 10 center, but not every team even has a true center. I'd guess that close to half of the starting C's in the league would be considered PFs five years ago.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#384 » by sisibilio » Sun Dec 9, 2012 7:37 am

AQuintus wrote:

Not exactly, even though he's always been listed as a PF at least since his 3rd year in the league his role in the offense has been mainly create off the low post, that changed once Bynum became the second focal point of the offense in LA and has continued this season with Howard, reducing him to basically a jump shooter.
He looked as dominant as usual with the spanish NT last year in the Eurobasket and this summer in the Olympics for instance.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#385 » by Piecake » Sun Dec 9, 2012 8:04 am

Klomp wrote:
AQuintus wrote:

Look at the difference last year on both ends of the court when KG switched from PF (the position he played his entire career) to C. I think thats the type of difference it would make for Pau as well.

The NBA is changing. You no longer need a traditional center to be effective. Thats why I don't feel Pekovic has as much value as some of you think. Sure he may be a top 10 center, but not every team even has a true center. I'd guess that close to half of the starting C's in the league would be considered PFs five years ago.

A center still needs to defend the pick and roll and rotate effectively. I mean, we run the pick and roll with Pekovic fairly often, and we all saw how badly Lillard carved up our defense thanks to Love and Pekovic deciding not to hedge that game. Well, if we get Pau, thats going to happen all the time
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#386 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 9, 2012 8:08 am

Piecake wrote:A center still needs to defend the pick and roll and rotate effectively. I mean, we run the pick and roll with Pekovic fairly often, and we all saw how badly Lillard carved up our defense thanks to Love and Pekovic deciding not to hedge that game. Well, if we get Pau, thats going to happen all the time

Like I said, this is one area I'll concede.

Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#387 » by Maefteda » Sun Dec 9, 2012 1:20 pm

For the guys who wants a 2 year contract in Pau on Center instead of Pekovic who will be resigned for 4 years, how about Marcin Gortat? He is on his way out from Phoenix, in Arizona, where Williams played college basketball and would probably have the best perceived value. Gortats contract runs out in time 2014 off-season, where we can see if we need a rebuild or not if Love wants out by then.

Not only that, a package of Pek, Williams, Rid/Barea, and possibly M. Lee, should be enough to get us a good SG aswell as Gortat.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#388 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:08 pm

Maefteda wrote:For the guys who wants a 2 year contract in Pau on Center instead of Pekovic who will be resigned for 4 years, how about Marcin Gortat? He is on his way out from Phoenix, in Arizona, where Williams played college basketball and would probably have the best perceived value. Gortats contract runs out in time 2014 off-season, where we can see if we need a rebuild or not if Love wants out by then.

Not only that, a package of Pek, Williams, Rid/Barea, and possibly M. Lee, should be enough to get us a good SG aswell as Gortat.

I'd take Gortat over Gasol.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,962

Post#389 » by shrink » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:14 pm

Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#390 » by shrink » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:22 pm

Maefteda wrote:For the guys who wants a 2 year contract in Pau on Center instead of Pekovic who will be resigned for 4 years, how about Marcin Gortat? He is on his way out from Phoenix, in Arizona, where Williams played college basketball and would probably have the best perceived value. Gortats contract runs out in time 2014 off-season, where we can see if we need a rebuild or not if Love wants out by then.

This makes much more sense to me Maefteda.

I keep thinking if we build around Love, we need a center that can give us good defense. I like PHX because also because Gortat wants out, and they need a solution at center - they can't be confident a legit center would want to go there simply because they have cap space. Also, with Rubio here, I kind of like the idea that Gortat got some experience with nifty passing from Nash.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#391 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:30 pm

shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.

FC stands for football club Barcelona. Oh you Americans. :lol: :lol:

@topic I'd rather take Gortat, but only if we get a SG in that deal. If Gasol meant Gasol from 5 years ago, I'd take him feeling like we stole something. At this point, I would just forget about it, knees are knees, it would be too big a risk.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#392 » by C.lupus » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:31 pm

Pekovic this year has a better DRtg and higher defensive win shares than Gortat. Just saying.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#393 » by Worm Guts » Sun Dec 9, 2012 2:41 pm

There's no way I give up assets just so I can swap Pekovic for Gortat. If for some reason they offer a straight trade, I guess, but I think we're much better off just focusing on a SG.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#394 » by sisibilio » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:40 pm

shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16.

Not that it matters much but that's not true. He only started having significant minutes with Barcelona's first team when he was 19.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#395 » by sisibilio » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:45 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

The official name of the basketball team (and any other section of the club) is also FC Barcelona.
http://www.acb.com/club.php?id=BAR&cod_ ... edicion=57
Regal is the sponsor.
@MikePradaSBN

guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#396 » by guille_4 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 4:23 pm

sisibilio wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

The official name of the basketball team (and any other section of the club) is also FC Barcelona.
http://www.acb.com/club.php?id=BAR&cod_ ... edicion=57
Regal is the sponsor.

Slap in the face! Oh you spaniard! :lol
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#397 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Dec 9, 2012 7:16 pm

Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.
champalift
Junior
And1: 12

Post#398 » by champalift » Sun Dec 9, 2012 8:15 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.

Never question shrink.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#399 » by Cashin out » Sun Dec 9, 2012 8:20 pm

Hey guys just wanted to update you on the Pau rumor,according to our GM he wants to give Pau 2 weeks to see how he plays with Nash,they told him if he doesn't fit in they will look to trade him.So I don't really see anything happening anytime soon because I expect Pau to accept the challenge and play well because he loves LA.
shrink
RealGM

Post#400 » by shrink » Sun Dec 9, 2012 9:29 pm

champalift wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.

Never question shrink.

LOL! When it comes to me bringing up a name - better to never put any faith in it!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves