A turnaround is always possible

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Re: A turnaround is always possible 

Post#21 » by semi-sentient » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:29 pm

I can't think of any real solutions to our problems outside of moving Pau to the bench (or obviously doing a trade, which seems unlikely).

I've toyed around with the idea of moving Artest to the 4 as well. He's a much better option than either Pau or Jamison, and with the way he's shooting this year he actually adds a tremendous amount of value.

That would mean that we have to play Ebanks at the 3, which I'm not really opposed to. Ebanks hasn't proven that he can hit that outside shot consistently (neither did Barnes...), but his minutes have been anything but consistent so it's difficult to draw any conclusions. I'd give him a shot to see what he can do with Kobe and Howard drawing away defenders on a regular basis. He's a good, young defender and won't have any issues wearing out in our run-n-gun style of play.

Back to Pau off the bench -- it's something that the Lakers have apparently thought about. Jamison didn't show us much at the 3, but quite frankly I'd rather have Hill getting minutes at the backup 4 than Jamison. Hill is just as efficient a scorer and provides defense to an otherwise defensively-challenged bench. Meeks obviously plays the 2 and for the time being Morris will have to do as our backup PG until Nash returns and we have Duhon play the reserve role.

So I'd try something like this:

PG: Nash / Duhon
SG: Kobe / Meeks
SF: Ebanks / Jamison
PF: Metta / Hill
C: Howard / Gasol
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,830

Post#22 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:01 pm

John Hollinger gives us a 1.2 percent chance of making the Finals, and a 0.6 percent chance to win it. Which means we're in Lloyd Christmas territory.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#23 » by supaflash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 pm

I agree with Pau off the bench, it just makes so much more sense. Why try to put him out of position so much on offense AND wear him down running. I would think once Nash is back you want him working with Dwight to maximize screen roll as much as possible. So you bring Nash and Dwight out at around the 4 minute mark, keep Kobe in with Pau to run pick and roll and post sets with Pau, bring Nash and Dwight back in at beginning of the second. That way that bench stretch that has been letting us down is now Nash, Dwight, and mostly shooters. Pau can play some 4 with Nash probably more effectively when Kobe doesn't need the ball. Jamison gets stuck a few mins at the 3 but if he just stays aggressive he should be fine. You could bring Kobe and Metta back in around the 7 min mark and finish the quarter with Nash, Meeks, Kobe, Metta, Dwight...

I think it makes us better defensively, more balanced offensively, and able to keep the pace up a bit more.

Same lineup as Semi is proposing.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#24 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:John Hollinger gives us a 1.2 percent chance of making the Finals, and a 0.6 percent chance to win it. Which means we're in Lloyd Christmas territory.

So you're saying THERE'S A CHANCE!!!
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#25 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:02 pm

tugs wrote:yep. agree on the team not having any identity. the Kobe ball hog teams back then had an identity, all Kobe. this team's like a confused teenager, torn if he's still a child, an adult, prefers to live the life of the opposite sex, etc.

hard to sort a problem when you actually have legit number of solutions. agree though that this should be Nash's team. Kobe playing (and willing) more off ball and Dwight being Dwight.

I've heard many things about this team, but never that it is transsexual...

:lol:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#26 » by Kilroy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:14 pm

schizophrenic...

Are they a smash-mouth, in your face Kobe Iso, crushing team that can lock a team up with D?

Or are they a Dwight will do everything until it doesn't work then throw it outside for a 3 team?

Or are they the Phoenix Suns from Early '00s?

It's pretty clear none of those will work without some blending, but it seems like MWP, Kobe and Dwight could mesh pretty well, and Pau, Nash, and D'Antoni could mesh pretty well.

It's really like 2 teams right now... Kobe/Dwight/Hill/MWP could work under Bickerstaff and Nash/Jamison/Meeks/Duhon could work under D'Antoni... That leaves Pau, Blake, maybe Ebanks and Clark who haven't really found their stride with either group yet.

Given time and some more focus from the Coaching Staff, I think Kobe/Dwight could be a well oiled machine with MWP, Hill, and Ebanks assisting... I think given the proper offensive game play, Nash and Morris could make it work too, and Jamison could come in and anchor the scoring off the bench. Not sure where Meeks and Clark fit... But they seem to fit too, at least on paper.
But I think the Key is to focus on making the Dwight/Kobe inside/out game work first. Everything will fall into place after that... We have seen that Hill and MWP can fit nicely with them. Pau hasn't worked it out yet. And we haven't seen Nash get it yet.

I'm not sure Pau will ever work next to Dwight, but maybe the real problem with this team right now is the Nashtoni element. I don't think it's either one of their fault, but I wonder if focusing too much on setting the team up as a Nash-focused team, is the real unnecessary piece of the puzzle making everything fit poorly.

I think everyone expected Dwight to come is as the future leader and learn from Kobe how to be a true championship leader. I think we all thought Nash would come in to chase a Championship and use his endless skill and brain power to aid that transition, and Pau would be there too as a stretch-4... I don't think anyone expected Dwight and Kobe to be asked to figure it out while the team was retooled around 38yo Nash.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what it looks like when he comes back...

I just think that maybe we have more pieces and better pieces for more of a half-court style offense, than we do for a full court, up tempo offense... I'm not sure that works long term, even for guys like Dwight and Kobe.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
nashill
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#27 » by nashill » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 am

semi-sentient wrote:I can't think of any real solutions to our problems outside of moving Pau to the bench (or obviously doing a trade, which seems unlikely).

I've toyed around with the idea of moving Artest to the 4 as well. He's a much better option than either Pau or Jamison, and with the way he's shooting this year he actually adds a tremendous amount of value.

That would mean that we have to play Ebanks at the 3, which I'm not really opposed to. Ebanks hasn't proven that he can hit that outside shot consistently (neither did Barnes...), but his minutes have been anything but consistent so it's difficult to draw any conclusions. I'd give him a shot to see what he can do with Kobe and Howard drawing away defenders on a regular basis. He's a good, young defender and won't have any issues wearing out in our run-n-gun style of play.

Back to Pau off the bench -- it's something that the Lakers have apparently thought about. Jamison didn't show us much at the 3, but quite frankly I'd rather have Hill getting minutes at the backup 4 than Jamison. Hill is just as efficient a scorer and provides defense to an otherwise defensively-challenged bench. Meeks obviously plays the 2 and for the time being Morris will have to do as our backup PG until Nash returns and we have Duhon play the reserve role.

So I'd try something like this:

PG: Nash / Duhon
SG: Kobe / Meeks
SF: Ebanks / Jamison
PF: Metta / Hill
C: Howard / Gasol

I know dantoni will eventually explore this small ball idea. The good thing is, i think the team will be better defensively and offensively.
Spurs.Grizzlies.Hawks.Bulls.Wizards.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#28 » by Jajwanda » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 am

If Hill hits his midrange and doesn't become an offensive liability, the team's defense changes dramatically. The last time L.A. had two fast shot blocking options inside was when Bynum-Turiaf were together in 07. They had a block party.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#29 » by Dr Aki » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 am

Jajwanda wrote:If Hill hits his midrange and doesn't become an offensive liability, the team's defense changes dramatically. The last time L.A. had two fast shot blocking options inside was when Bynum-Turiaf were together in 07. They had a block party.

they also didn't have to contend with having to try to block every defensive play, our perimeter defense was head and shoulders better than our current perimeter defense
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#30 » by Neutral 123 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:26 am

You would think this is the stretch where that would happen. They SHOULD be able to go 9-4 or 10-3 fairly easily over the next 13 games. But getting handled right now by the Cavs is not a good sign.
carlquincy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#31 » by carlquincy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:32 am

In a way, I'm glad (not really) that we kept losing these close games.

It gives a chance for the team to take a hard look at the problems, mainly defense.

Had we win these games, all the problems would most likely be swept under the rug, and we will be exposed in the playoffs.

Problem now is that we might not even make the playoffs, if things dun turn around soon.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#32 » by Kilroy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but, we're not really losing close game though...
We're getting blown out, then Kobe takes over and gets us close again, but it isn't quite enough...
These games are lost in the first couple quarters.

Kobe talks about execution... It honestly doesn't look like there's anything to execute.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#33 » by kobe808lak » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:35 pm

This team is a joke. They are going to have to play lights out down the stretch just to crawl into the playoffs and then get trounced in the 1st round.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Post#34 » by Anklebreaker702 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Kilroy wrote:Right now this team lacks identity...
Is it Kobe's team? Is it Dwights team? Is it Nash's team?
What style of play does it represent?

Total speculation, but to me it's Nash's team now... I think much of what's been going on has been to make Nash happy/comfortable without pissing off Dwight... Because I think Nash is the most fragile... He's old, probably a little tired, and I think if we don't have a legit shot at a title this season, he'll retire.

But along with trying to get Dwight to resign with us, and trying to get Nash in the right mind-set, you still have uber-compettitive Kobe... Who while Nash is out, and while Dwight is returning to full strength from his back, is trying to lead and just win some games... But I don't think anyone is listening...

I've never been Kobe's biggest fan on here. I respect him and I think I value his career more here as it winds down... But to me, there isn't anyone else on the team that can tell these guys how to get into the right head-space to contend for multiple championships... But I get the feeling, nobody thinks they have to listen to him.

Maybe I just put on as big a tinfoil hat as the MensRea/Tien contingent, but that's just what I see...

So while I think this team could absolutely tear things up with the talent they have, I don't expect a Turnaround until they figure the basics out.

Hard to say its Nash's team. He's only played in two games. Dwight is clearly not the same player as of yet and Kobe is doing his thing. I really don't like the who's team is it scenarios too much because that's what tore the Kobe Shaq teams asunder.

I agree there has to be an identity & leader but that where I think it should stop. Then its all about team ball & team defense.

As far as moving Pau to the bench, its sounds good but Pau can be so fragile at times. If he responds correctly it may be a good idea.
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#35 » by Jajwanda » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 pm

I have a good feeling about the Knick game. At least against the Knicks L.A. can put Metta at the 4, Kobe at the 3 and that should help them on the defensive end as well as for spacing the floor. Hopefully that builds momentum to keep the team afloat.
IamBBAnalysis
Pro Prospect
And1: 495

Post#36 » by IamBBAnalysis » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:35 pm

carlquincy wrote:In a way, I'm glad (not really) that we kept losing these close games.

It gives a chance for the team to take a hard look at the problems, mainly defense.

Had we win these games, all the problems would most likely be swept under the rug, and we will be exposed in the playoffs.

Problem now is that we might not even make the playoffs, if things dun turn around soon.

I agree. I think its a good thing that they are working on the defense now. I'm not concerned about making the playoffs...but I am concerned about the guys tuning out the coach if they don't see results though.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

NEXT 10 GAMES 

Post#37 » by Kobe System » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:17 am

Predict our record after our next 10 games.

vs Philadelphia
@ L.A. Clippers
vs Denver
@ Houston
@ San Antonio
vs Oklahoma City
vs Cleveland
vs Milwaukee
vs Miami
@ Toronto
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Re: NEXT 10 GAMES 

Post#38 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:32 am

were still hovering around the 500 mark. Im waitin for a serious run. This could be it. We dancin around it, but we need to come together and build tighter chemistry. Its comin along though. Nash is freakin awesome though. He seems to be the key, and hes capable of pullin all the pieces together with his set-up style of play.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Klaas Bruinsma
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#39 » by Klaas Bruinsma » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:37 am

we can go 7-3 on those 10 games :D
LA_Sports
Junior
And1: 12

Post#40 » by LA_Sports » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:44 am

The way the team has been playing i think a honest prediction would be 6-4. However if the knock off one of the powers the 7-3 is possible.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers