Roster going forward?

Moderator: bwgood77

Cal_Bears
Ballboy
And1: 0

Roster going forward? 

Post#1 » by Cal_Bears » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Warriors fan here and I have a few questions about your roster plans moving forward.

I know you all are in rebuild mode but I think you have some nice pieces on your team. Specifically, where does Lance Thomas, Jerome Dyson, Xavier Henry and Aminu fit in?

My thoughts:

Lance Thomas: He's cheap and has shown he's willing to work and do the dirty work. I think he had a good showing in SL and should be kept moving forward.

Xavier Henry: He's so young still that I see tons of potential in him still. He seems like a perfect piece to have with Davis, Rivers, and Gordon moving forward. He really is an asset and I don't hear him talked about all that frequently.

Jerome Dyson: I'm not too sure about him. Is he good enough to be a decent backup?

Aminu: Where does he fit in?

If I had to place the team in tiers in terms of the future and building blocks it would be:

Tier 1:
Davis
Gordon
Rivers

Tier 2:
Henry
Anderson
Vasquez
Aminu

Tier 3:
Smith
Thomas
Miller

Would you all expect a rotation of something like this?

Rivers/Vasquez
Gordon/Dyson
Henry/Aminu/Miller
Anderson/Thomas
Davis/Smith

Sorry if my post is all over the place, just trying to get a feel for your strategy moving forward
DomoKun
Sophomore
And1: 6

Re: Roster going forward? 

Post#2 » by DomoKun » Wed Sep 5, 2012 6:23 am

nice insights from a Warriors fan :P

You don't mention Jason Smith but I would rate him above anybody else off the bench. He's the kind of player you never want to take out of the game because he plays smart and with a lot of energy, especially going after loose balls, defends well and has a nice midrange jumper.

I'm not sure if Aminu will ever amount to much and it could be he would play better in the PF spot. He's turnover-prone and playing the wing is simply too hard for him at this point.

Henry could still improve. He's good defensively and has a mind to drive to the basket. He just needs to develop a better jumpshot but he's got an incredibly slow release.

I don't know too much about Brian Roberts outside of SL, but I'd rate him higher than Aminu and Henry, maybe right below Rivers. So my tiers would basically look like

Tier 1: Gordon, Davis, Anderson
Tier 2: Lopez, Rivers, Smith, Vasquez, Roberts
Tier 3: Warrick, Henry, Aminu, Thomas, Miller
bballgm
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by bballgm » Fri Sep 7, 2012 9:56 pm

I think Aminu has a good chance to play a big role on this team.
Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Post#4 » by Don Tommy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:39 am

Clippers fan here, and my take on watching Aminu when he was with us. The worst thing that happened to him was when he was hitting 48% from the 3 pt line the first half of his rookie season. He seemed to fall in love with the shot and force up bad shots. Or fake the shot and take so long to drive that the defender almost always caught up with him. He seemed like a good kid though, and I was actually coming to your board just to see what you guys thought of him.
JoeyH
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#5 » by JoeyH » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 pm

^He still can't really shoot, but he's coming into his own as a great defender and rebounder. I think he's starting to understand his limitations on offense a little more, and he's been taking it to the hole more aggressively in pre-season. He'll probably have his option picked up soon but he needs to show he can be a consistent contributor this year.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#6 » by Jajwanda » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:17 am

Would you guys want Steve Blake as an open shooter at PG that can play next to a combo guard?
Bee-Fense
Sophomore
And1: 36

Re: Roster Hoing forward? 

Post#7 » by Bee-Fense » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:35 am

Since we've been able to see this team in action a little bit this year, I think it's getting to be a bit more clear as to what the direction will be going forward.

Just to address some of the questions in the OP -

Lance Thomas is a nice end of the rotation guy that is good to keep around in practices and in case of injury. For your 12th man, you could do worse. Xavier has really shown no progression and really isn't much of an NBA player from what I've seen. He really just can't shoot well and can't dribble to his right well.

Aminu has been the big surprise this season and has improved quite a bit. He still has his weaknesses in the half court and really can't shoot a lick, but he's minimizing his mistakes and taking advantage of his athletic ability more than ever. He's gotten much better at finishing around the rim, and defensively he's been fantastic so far. Still has some work to do, but with his rebounding and fastbreak ability, he could end up being a really solid starter in the NBA ala Gerald Wallace. Hopefully he can improve his jumper slightly to where defense can't just leave him alone.

As for the tiers, I think they look a bit more like this

Tier 1:

Anthony Davis
Eric Gordon
Ryan Anderson

Tier 2:
Austin Rivers
Al Farouq Aminu
Jason Smith
Robin Lopez
Greivis Vasquez

Tier 3:
Darius Miller
Brian Roberts
Lance Thomas
Xavier Henry

And going forward, we really, really need to improve our backcourt play. I really do believe that our frontcourt right now and in the future is one of the best in the league. If Davis progresses like he should, then I think it will be the best as current constructed. However, the backcourt has just been absolutely horrible. Vasquez is not a starter and never will be. He's just not quick enough. Rivers has been really bad so far (but shown glimpses of promise) and SG in general has been a huge spot of weakness. What the team really needs is Eric Gordon - he is literally everything we need. But his health concerns worry every Hornets fan, and the future is so unclear with him. I also want see us go after a PG this off season. I hear a lot of talk about Brandon Jennings, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. I like going after Jeff Teague and then spending the rest of our cap on someone at SF (perhaps a long term deal for Aminu?)

There's still some question marks, but there's been a good bit of questions answered already. Essentially - biggest need is backcourt improvement.

Jajwanda wrote:Would you guys want Steve Blake as an open shooter at PG that can play next to a combo guard?

Not with his current deal. The idea is probably right but we've made it clear we're trying to be as flexible as possible financially to make some moves this upcoming offseason.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#8 » by Jajwanda » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 am

Is New Orleans set on making Davis a C for the long-term? If not a three-way deal could be reached where Anderson brings in some value for New Orleans.
Bee-Fense
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#9 » by Bee-Fense » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:58 am

Ryan Anderson is not going anywhere anytime soon. The plan seems to be to start Davis at the 4, Anderson come off the bench, and then have Davis slide to the 5 for spurts. That's what they've done this year and they were doing it more and more once Monty realized how effective it was. Anderson/Davis will work out.
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#10 » by Brapman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:49 pm

The draft this year might play to your team's long term needs. If you put Davis at PF - where he could become the greatest help defending PF in the game - this 2013 draft seems top heavy with centers. It's not looking like there are any elite players in this draft, but if you got an all-around center, then you could have a potentially dominant frontcourt duo for a long time. Davis's body type isn't that of a true center, so that plan could keep him healthy.

I'm a Pistons fan, and we're salivating at having Monroe and Drummond together for the better part of the next decade.

Having Davis at PF gives you guys the ability to have a lot of flexibility. He could play with a true center, and slide over to center when you want to go small. It's not like he couldn't handle playing that position at times - and against certain teams, he's the ultimate guy to man the middle when you're going small, since he has super mobility and range defensively.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#11 » by yitur » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 am

I dont know what you guys think, but I hope you guys trade Gordon for some value while you still can, like high draft picks+a PG maybe
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#12 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:16 pm

bballgm wrote:I think Aminu has a good chance to play a big role on this team.

What has happened to his minutes?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
srbreezy
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by srbreezy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:45 pm

I think we should blow up the current roster with trade to get picks.
Keep Anthony Davis and possibly Vasquez. Mainly because Vasquez is cheap for two more seasons.
I think we could get 3 quality bench players from the draft from the trade and use our actual pick in the top of the draft for a player like shabazz or nerlens. And we will still would be bad enough to get a top-4 pick in the 2014 draft which would be a franchise player to go with David and whoever we get in this years draft.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans